Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Charlton v Peterborough

Comments

• Options
    Was gonna watch this on the old iplayer but I saw it was a tenner on the match day pass, doubled from last season!

Sounds like we were hard done by, what a tossser of a bloke Evans is, no class.
  • Options
    Morning after here.
    Great effort by all the guys, as Page said, can't control referee's decision...
    I still think Sarr should play infront of back three with Pratley in a 3.2.3.2 formation.

On we go...
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Survival is the only thing of any importance this season... pleasure enjoyment, they went out the window years ago.

Until sells or is somehow extricated from out club we are utterly utterly fucked... we all know this.
  • Options
    Peoples optimism confuses me. How anyone can say we'll be well clear of a scrap down the bottom is misguided imo.

Say Bowyer doesn't get paid his bonus? Or Jacksons wages are short? They won't hang about.

Put nothing past this shitstain of an owner.

We are sliding along on some very thin ice.
  • Options

If there is a Ben McDonnell who posts on here a pal has found your wallet at the game, feel free to pm me

Will be handed in to the ticket office on Saturday but it has quite a large amount of cash in it but only an Oyster card and cash card.
  • Options

Was the penalty justified? It was impossible to tell from the Covered End. Even so, Posh were the stronger and more skilful team. The stats confirm that we had only one single shot on target in the whole game.

We did have 50 per cent of the possession – mostly spreading the ball sideways. From just outside the box, Aribo and Grant hammered shots miles over the bar. Our one accurate attempt came in the first half when Morgan fed Taylor at speed for a low drive, saved by the keeper.

Someone on CL observed during the Accrington game that Taylor plays the man, not the ball. He should break free from the physical tussles – backing in to defenders 40 yards from goal – and not get dragged out to the wing. Taylor scored 55 goals in 150 games for Wimbledon by being a bloody nuisance in the box. We had all ten players defending Peterborough corners; Grant should stay up front as an outlet where his pace could be targeted by a quick release from Phillips.

I am still waiting for Pratley to make an impression on the game. Our midfield has been flaky for year upon year: no-one seizes possession, advances towards goal, then pushes a cute pass to a striker in space. Dembele, the Posh number 10, was superb: instrumental in their fluent, forward play, and every one of his free-kicks and corners was delivered accurately.

Sarr passed directly to the opposition four times in the first 35 minutes: we concede possession cheaply. Yet, Bielik surprised us with two runs with the ball from defence, centrally forward, then threading inviting passes to the attackers. He is refreshingly positive.

It wasn’t the ref, nor Evans on the touchline, who stopped us from making more than just one accurate attempt on goal. No-one doubts our effort and commitment; professional players give nothing less. But we have scored just eight goals in the last 12 games. To mount a serious challenge this season, Bowyer must find midfield players capable of beating defenders and creating chances.

cant highlight paragraphs on my phone, but the last sentance sums it all up for me.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    4 points out of 12 from Sunderland, Shrewsbury, Accrington Stanley and Peterborough - does say a lot about how far we have fallen....

i wasnt in attendance last night but reading the commentary and players marks ( which i rely on ) - we did not sound that great?.
  • Options
    With the walking heart attack waiting to happen that is Evans, just gotta ignore him. I know it’s difficult because he’s employs every trick in the book, but never rise to it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Although I felt we battled hard and gave it a good go last night I can’t quite get the tweet from Page about deserving 3 pts. Felt we deserved a point, but I hope they’re not of the mentality that we were robbed of 3 pts. Peterborough still a very decent team and won a game that could’ve gone either way.

Controversial game with the pen, but hope there’s no disillusionment that we’ve been screwed over. Don’t want that carrying over to Sat
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    We battled which was great however we are truly awful going forward and clueless at times. Ref was an absolute joke.

Aribo - anonymous
    Morgan - nowhere near ready for 1st team
    Prately - poor game looked yard off the pace

Defence was solid. Front two had no service.
  • Options

If there is a Ben McDonnell who posts on here a pal has found your wallet at the game, feel free to pm me

Will be handed in to the ticket office on Saturday but it has quite a large amount of cash in it but only an Oyster card and cash card.
    If you’re on twitter mate it might be worth tweeting this with #cafc or including the official cafc twitter handle
  • Options
    cs1986 said:

We battled which was great however we are truly awful going forward and clueless at times. Ref was an absolute joke.

Aribo - anonymous
    Morgan - nowhere near ready for 1st team
    Prately - poor game looked yard off the pace

Defence was solid. Front two had no service.

Agree with this but cutting them all some slack in the circumstances of which we are all aware.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

If you’re on twitter mate it might be worth tweeting this with #cafc or including the official cafc twitter handle
    The mate who found it has already done so, hopefully it gets reunited with owner
  • Options
    We are an averege league 1 team with average players however if they show that commitment they showed in the second half every game win, lose or draw you can’t say fairer then that.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

cabbles said:

The mate who found it has already done so, hopefully it gets reunited with owner
    Well done for trying to find the owner so far but are the police no longer interested in holding lost property like this any more then? I'd take it there rather than the ticket office although maybe make them aware what 'nick' you've handed it into. Anyway that's where I would enquire if I'd lost a large wedge of money in a wallet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw the second half on iPlayer , thought a draw would be fair.
    As pointed out above lack of guile and skill in the final third is what’s leaving us looking for a miracle shot or deflection to create/ score a goal .
    I genuinely look at Grant Ajose Aribo and Taylor and think can you boys really ping a ball , strike it properly with accuracy , I’m not sure they can with much real consistency it always looks a bit slashed at and every so often a strike from them feels real true but not enough .

Anyway 4 points from 4 games is the reality a win on Saturday will get us back on track for the top half of the table .

Ffs fuck off roland so I can get my Charlton mojo back , zero enthusiasm for us atm and it’s winding me up !

Although mate with a gambling problem is happy , he asked me if we were worth a back or Peterborough, I told him back Peterborough @ 9 to 4 on betfair and lay Charlton 6 to 4 so draw would have been scratch , couldn’t see how we would be favourites in that game , so he was happy the poxy southern scouse fan ffs

• Options
    Gaz, I mad a comment last year about linesman just being there to back a ref up.

They don't make ANY decision, player reaction will get you 75% of decisions as like you said they look at each other and see what position the majority of the players make up.

Watch how slow flags go up for throws and corners, they wait for ref then just agree with him.

• Options
    PWR

Sometimes fans can be a bit too "one-eyed" in blaming the officials for a poor performance or a defeat whilst ignoring their own side's inadequacies.

Whilst it would be stretching things a bit to claim that last night's referee cost us three points - our standard of play within 25 yards of Posh's goal more than contributed to that - it would be very fair to say that the ref cost us the draw. That was one of the most shocking refereeing performances I've seen at The Valley for many a year, including Messrs Stroud and Kettle.

In Aussie Rules the umpires (who used to wear all-white kits) were labelled "white maggots" by supporters who were berating their performance. Taking that as an example last night's ref was a "turd fly"; he was a *Roland* of the highest order. I don't think there were too many decisions he got right and was not surprised in the slightest when he finally gave them a penalty in the dying minutes having turned down what appeared to be stonewall pen for us seconds earlier.

Enough of that clown, how did we actually play? Not too bad in my opinion. As ever, we butchered the ball in the final third, promising moves breaking down because we can't cross the ball. Our shooting around the box left a lot to be desired and our set-pieces, on the whole, were shocking.

The first half was a fairly even affair but in the second half we looked the more likely to score (referee notwithstanding) as Peterborough appeared to be more content with timewasting and protecting a point. They were, at times, quite disgraceful with their antics and how they didn't get more yellow cards was beyond me. As for Tellytubby Evans, he is a nasty piece of work and it's no wonder his side played the way they did.

Defensively we looked OK. Bielik looked solid in the back three with Naby and the BFG and Dillon had a good game making a few good saves, especially the one-on-one in the second half.

Albie Morgan impressed me in the first half and I was a bit disappointed that he was subbed in the second half. Presumably that was because it was past his bedtime with Ajose coming on because the rest of the subs bench were already in their jim-jams, tucked up in bed with a bottle of warm milk, being read a bedtime story by Uncle Marshall.

It was a frustrating evening, we'll play much worse than last night and come away with a comfortable victory on another occasion.

Oh well, on to Saturday and hope that our luck changes ... and we have a decent referee!
  • Options
    Another plus is Bielik. Look an excellent addition and if Bowyer wants to play out from the back then he will be an asset, especially when teams sit back at the valley and his long gangly legs can stride forward.
  • Options
    The one thing I don't get is our reluctance to cross the ball - we seemed determined to pass the ball into the 18 yard box rather than whip a cross in. Solly is a good crossed of the ball yet last night would invariably lay off a short pass rather than make a cross - is this a tactical thing? We had enough pressure in the last 25 minutes to have expected a goal and that is what worries me.

If we don't score enough goals we're not going anywhere.
  • Options
    Just seen the penalty replay, that is an absolute shocker.
  • Options

First game I’ve been too this season and will post my full review tomorrow when I’m meant to be working, but I thought we were alright most of then game, but certainly work needed. Possibly the worst officiating performance I’ve seen watching football from all 3 dopes in black, no wonder Bowyer is fuming.

Any vacancies at your place? :-)
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Played well in spells as others have said lack that final ball/decision.

Cannot fault the commitment of what is a very young side.

People moaning about our quality this posh team bought on 2 £750k players and could only pip us by a dubious pen.

Bowyer is doing the best with the players at his disposal but we urgently need reinforcements and returns from injury.

Arsenal player looks decent hopefully we can get another in ASAP.

Hopefully we can get 1 feckless owner out sooner rather than later