Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Patrick Bauer (**Confirmed Leaving Pg 2**)

Comments

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    As others have said not a huge loss, he can be replaced, Aribo can't.

IMO he can, obviously good in League 1 but not exceptionally good, for me, mid table Championship at best, would I like to keep him ? Of course but not as good as he thinks he is, flatters to deceive.

• Options
    This thread is rubbish. How come we don’t know how big his pay rise was??
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Losing players to Huddersfield and Preston? Let's not forget the mighty Brentford.
  • Options
    Has he seen Preston? He might get a bit of a shock. Or maybe just relieved it isn't Blackburn!
    Preston's a crap hole, but on 6k a week he won't need to live in a former council terrace house. Parts of Cheshire and Lancashire are very nice indeed, and Manchester is close by. I'm sure he'll be just fine.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Grant was going to be easy to replace.

Remind me how that went.
    We got promoted! It went relatively well.
  • Options
    Has he seen Preston? He might get a bit of a shock. Or maybe just relieved it isn't Blackburn!
    Preston's a crap hole, but on 6k a week he won't need to live in a former council terrace house. Parts of Cheshire and Lancashire are very nice indeed, and Manchester is close by. I'm sure he'll be just fine.
    And if you're making a direct comparison to Preston, the Woolwich Road is hardly salubrious!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Grant was going to be easy to replace.

Remind me how that went.
    We got promoted! It went relatively well.
    Despite Grant leaving not because of........
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Actually, when you think about it, you can see the Thames Barrier from some parts of teh ground, You have Greenwhich Park nearby, You have the O2 and the cable cars, an Imax cinema, an Ikea and new shops at eateries springing up all the time. The Anchor and Hope pub overlooks the Thames and sells traditional seafood - I can't think of many more pleasant places around a ground as we have. I do love my Whelks though and they are not as easy to find as they used to be.
  • Options
    I did attached to put in an A4 frame along with my match ticket. It looks nice on the wall and a good reminder of Bauer's last kick for us.
  • Options
    Its okay. 

Wasn't Bauer another Driesden flop? 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Its okay. 

A broken clock is still correct twice a day.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Its okay. 

I'm sure there was a story at the time that we were scouting another player but saw Bauer in the same game, so made a bid for him.
  • Options
    Any of us can strip down to our underpants and research players in our bedroom and find a few of those turn out decent. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Simonsen said:
    Richard J said:
    Its okay. 

I'm sure there was a story at the time that we were scouting another player but saw Bauer in the same game, so made a bid for him.
    That is what scouts do. 

I am no fan of Driesden and am sick of the decline of the club. Gallen has proved that domestic knowledge is invaluable in our situation.

In particular I found Driesden's twitter exchanges with the Peterborough Chairman laughable.

That said I think we need to acknowledge that some of his recommendations have worked out well. Every manager / scout makes mistakes. Even Curbs, Lennie and SCP brought in some duds. 

As well as the BFG, Igor was effective until hit by injury. Likewise Kashi. It also appears that Naby might turn out okay. 
  • Options
    Losing players to Huddersfield and Preston? Let's not forget the mighty Brentford.
    As AKFA said above, that's football and things working in cycles.

I'm sure decent championship clubs don't like losing their best players to Bournemouth.

5 years ago Wolves were in league one but are now snapping up some of Portugal's best young players.

Crystal Palace who were in administration in 2010, and in the championship as recently as 2013, now have a right back whose current market value is more than our entire club.
    Yes......and all 3 of those clubs are in the Premier League. Preston are not & aren't likely to be either. Neither are they "sleeping giants" and I reckon our average attendance this coming season  will be on par if not higher than theirs. 

Out of contract & leave on a free. Fine. But at least go somewhere with some history or are "on the up". 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As AKFA said above, that's football and things working in cycles.

I'm sure decent championship clubs don't like losing their best players to Bournemouth.

5 years ago Wolves were in league one but are now snapping up some of Portugal's best young players.

Crystal Palace who were in administration in 2010, and in the championship as recently as 2013, now have a right back whose current market value is more than our entire club.
    Yes......and all 3 of those clubs are in the Premier League. Preston are not & aren't likely to be either. Neither are they "sleeping giants" and I reckon our average attendance this coming season  will be on par if not higher than theirs. 

Out of contract & leave on a free. Fine. But at least go somewhere with some history or are "on the up". 
    Why arent Preston likely to be in the Premier League? - Anything can happen in this Division; i.e. realistically neither Norwich or Sheff Utd would have been in the top six favourites for promotion last season

What he's saying though is that unless your in the top six Football will always evolve and change where teams are, one day you'll have Bournemouth being able to buy top players the next time you'll potentially have someone like Charlton... Yes its difficult to accept because when we grow up we're used to seeing the likes of Bournemouth as a Second or Third Division team but promotion / relegation will always mean that wont remain the status quo
  • Options
    What grates me (only mildly mind) is that we are losing players to teams like Huddersfield & Preston. 
    That’s football I’m afraid. I’m sure over the years the likes of Norwich, QPR and Ipswich have said the same about us when we were pinching their up and coming talent

Exactly. I know a few Orient fans that are pretty pissed at us pinching their striker for such a tiny amount.
  • Options
    And gets Millwall away first game up. 
  • Options
    A few people looking down their noses at Preston need to take a reality check.

Charlton have been in league one for three seasons and are a shambles in the boardroom.

One Wembley win and some think we're Billy Big Bollocks.

Proud Preston are a decent club, well run, progressive and planning ahead. And they have a far more impressive history, albeit some of it from the century before last.

They were able and willing to offer Bauer what he considered a better package than we were willing to.

Come next Wednesday, when the Aussie/US/India takeover is confirmed, maybe we'll be able and willing to do offer more but till then let's not think we're something special when we're not.
    Agreed, looking at the stability in their squad and lack of "names" it reminds me of us in the 90s.

Their butter pies are still horrible though
  • Options
    Exactly, if the state of the area came into consideration he would never have signed for us would he, areas around the valley are hardly enticing to live in. 
  • Options
    Further to Grapevine's post, most of our youngsters are out of contract next year.