Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Patrick Bauer (**Confirmed Leaving Pg 2**)

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Redhenry said:
    I reckon he's on 5500 to 6 a week at Preston
    Sorry but if we offered him 5k, as has been said, I honestly don’t think he’d have upsticks and gone Oop North for an extra grand a week. Just don’t buy that.
    Coupled with a hefty signing on fee.
  • Options
    Surely it had to be at least 8/9k, it's been reported by SLP that he was getting offers of double, if we offered 5k then that's that.

History now anyway
  • Options
    Don't blame Bauer. Players have short careers and he needs to make as much money now as possible.
  • Options
    Sad really that the Wembley hero wasn’t ‘looked after’. If it’s true that we scrimped on wages then it’s a pretty shoddy way to treat him. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Daggs said:

Just to add my thoughts.

Bauer was a good member of  our team, even without the Wembley goal. He gave his all and along with almost everyone I'm grateful for his efforts.

He decided to leave months ago, so it's no surprise. I don't know what he earned at Charlton, nor what he'll earn at PNE

But, he has gone down in my estimation for joining Preston. I understand he wanted more money than Charlton would pay and I don't hold that against him. But Preston!! Surely he could have done better than that?

I hope they get relegated.

Nonsense. Not a chance he would have gone to Preston if we'd matched or bettered their offer.

Perhaps you would point out where I suggested that.......................
  • Options
    Didn’t rate him first 3 years but really stepped up this year. Can’t begrudge him a move if we dicked him around. Thanks for that goal my son is still making fun of me running into my front yard screaming. 
  • Options
    Daggs said:

Just to add my thoughts.

Bauer was a good member of  our team, even without the Wembley goal. He gave his all and along with almost everyone I'm grateful for his efforts.

He decided to leave months ago, so it's no surprise. I don't know what he earned at Charlton, nor what he'll earn at PNE

But, he has gone down in my estimation for joining Preston. I understand he wanted more money than Charlton would pay and I don't hold that against him. But Preston!! Surely he could have done better than that?

Yeah I heard he turned down Leeds, Derby and a number of Prem clubs so he could join Preston.
    Oh no actually he didn't, he had a choice of Blackburn, Preston & Wigan.

Ignoring your sarcasm. From the choices you suggest, wouldn't Blackburn have been better?
  • Options
    edited June 2019

I think there has been a huge misunderstanding.

He probably celebrated after Wembley with a few ales in the locale. In the uber home due to congestion the driver's done a detour via nearby Preston Road. Bauer's clocked it and thought "Ah the famous Preston North End must hail from here jah?" with the driver nodding in the affirmative not really knowing what he's on about.

Bauer muses that Preston's ground "Deepdale" must clearly mean north Colindale and dozes off in the back of the cab clutching the trophy.

A few short weeks later with a nipper to feed and instability at Charlton with the Official Site resembling the 3am memoirs of Oliver Reed, Bauer decides he needs to consider his options.

Agent bells him saying Preston are interested and offering a few grand a week more and this sparks a memory of that hazy Wembley uber journey. Young Patrick convinces his wife that it's a no brainer saying they can get a lovely semi in Finchley or Hampstead and he'll only have a short jaunt to training and home games at nearby Preston Road.

She's sold and contracts signed and they up sticks and head to "Preston".

Only when they arrive at the real Preston and witness the state of affairs (no electricity, McKenzie tracksuits and black pudding emporiums on every corner) does the penny drop. "Scheisse!" proclaims Bauer as palm hits face and he frantically reaches for his mobile to see if his agent can't somehow annul the deal...but mobile network infrastructure has yet to reach Preston and all the nearby phone boxes are occupied by feral whippets. Resigned to his situation he accepts his fate and that picture captures the moment he realises he has to explain to the wife it will be shopping trips to the local precinct market (open til 2pm Thursdays!) rather than strolls down Regent Street.

Can be the only logical explanation. Ocham's razor n'all that.

Happened to my dad once. First game of the season a few seasons back Bury away. Hadn't got halfway round the m25 before I informed him he was driving us to Bury north Manchester rather than the supposed Bury St Edmunds he had assumed when enthusiastically suggesting the trip. 7 hours of traffic and a defeat with only me for company he was spitting feathers.

• Options
    A great Shame he has gone 
    but just like Grant he may we’ll regret it.
    i think Bow would have fought harder if he really
    thought he was a serious loss to our new season.
    as regards to Preston as a place, Welmer Bridge
    just outside Preston is like Blackheath but a mansion costs the same as a semi in Blackheath 😂😂
  • Options
    Daggs said:
    Daggs said:

Just to add my thoughts.

Yeah I heard he turned down Leeds, Derby and a number of Prem clubs so he could join Preston.

Ignoring your sarcasm. From the choices you suggest, wouldn't Blackburn have been better?
    Have you ever been to Blackburn?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No fortunately, but I suspect the football club is bigger/better than PNE.
  • Options
    H......all of those (apart from Bauer), may or may not be with us according to what you’re saying.....as in doubtful, probably and maybe!
    You are not saying they definitely won’t be with us....so in truth who knows.
    Whereas sbs is saying they ‘definitely’ won’t be, you are saying possibly won’t be.
    I fancy some of those you mentioned will still be with us, though how many is anyone’s guess.
    At this moment all the first lot listed have gone ie are not on cafc books. I'd love us to get three or four of them back but feels v unlikely. 

Oh and add Dijksteel to the maybe list.
    The last player you are talking about Dijksteel highly  unlikely he will be leaving. Think we could be seeing two of them,if things go to plan....as at 27 /05 /19.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Sad really that the Wembley hero wasn’t ‘looked after’. If it’s true that we scrimped on wages then it’s a pretty shoddy way to treat him. 
    Shoddy? He's not been offered minimum wage! We offered him a salary probably much higher than 99.9% of us on this board will ever earn, and another club offered him more money. Good luck to him, but he's hardly a victim.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Sorry but if we offered him 5k, as has been said, I honestly don’t think he’d have upsticks and gone Oop North for an extra grand a week. Just don’t buy that.
    To be fair that extra grand a week in Preston will get you eight additional bedrooms on your gaff and a local to be your servant.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Shoddy? He's not been offered minimum wage! We offered him a salary probably much higher than 99.9% of us on this board will ever earn, and another club offered him more money. Good luck to him, but he's hardly a victim.
    Didn’t we mess him around last summer over his contract?
  • Options
    What grates me (only mildly mind) is that we are losing players to teams like Huddersfield & Preston. Yes, Huddersfield might have been in the Premier League when Grant signed but we all knew they were getting relegated. I would love to know why both players think these teams are the next step on their careers. At least Lookman & Gomez went to decent Premiership clubs. At worst they should be looking at teams vying for promotion & wouldn't have a problem.with them joining a Leeds, Derby, or a WBA etc. 

So, for me, it's all to do with money. 
    Not really -Preston and Huddersfield probably have footballing ambitions above scrapping in a relegation fight which, right now, is about the limit of our ambitions. So it’s for footballing and money reasons that our players are leaving to join those teams, the same reasons that Orient lost a player to us this week - that’s how it works.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Valley11 said:
    Didn’t we mess him around last summer over his contract?
    Yes.
  • Options
    I don’t think we will miss him tbh 
  • Options
    Daggs said:
    Daggs said:

Just to add my thoughts.

Who knows.
    Preston finished above Blackburn last season and they were on the fringe of the play offs with a few games to go.
    Blackburn seemed reliant on Bradley Dack and never once had a sniff of the play offs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    His agent wanted the deal and what goes with it.
  • Options
    Good player and obviously the goal that has cemented his place in Charlton folklore....but......we have lost better players before......under new ownership (please God let this happen) I genuinely believe we can sign better.  In Bowyer I trust, unlike the other numpty's we've had overseeing the team.
  • Options
    As others have said not a huge loss, he can be replaced, Aribo can't.
  • Options
    Don’t know if I am reading too much into this but.......if you watch Pat’s reaction immediately after he scored at Wembley it was somewhat muted......the other players went absolutely mental but he appeared to be being reflective and far less excited.
    Maybe that’s his character but I’m certain he wasn’t leaping around like the rest of the guys......even when they got into an impromptu celebratory huddle on the touchline he more or less ambled up and as an afterthought joined in....if you don’t believe me take another look, you’ll see what i mean.
    As I say, it may just be his character but it was certainly a different reaction from the rest of the guys.
    It's Pats personality.
    I saw about 7 players going Ape who I believe knew they wouldn't be at Charlton next season.
    So you are suggesting that at least seven of the side we put out at Wembley won’t be retained.....really, how interesting?!!?
    Def gone: Purrington, Bauer, Bielik, Cullen, Williams, Parker
    Very doubtful in reality that we can lure any of them back.
    Probably gone: Aribo
    Maybe going: Pearce 
    That's eight.
    Reckon we could lure Parker back :)
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    His agent wanted the deal and what goes with it.
    Amongst all the rubbish and garbage often spoken by RD I actually agree with RD on his view of agents. They are little more than parasites who if they had there way would move each player on to a new club every year to get a pay day.

I'm sure there are some agents out there who genuinely do look after the best interests of there player but you can't help but get the same kind of vibe with Aribo's agent too - doesn't he share the same agent as Konsa?
  • Options
    There are some decent agents, who will do what's best for the player in the long term. Bauer would have been better advised to stay with us for at least another season, rather than get a small pay rise at Preston. 
  • Options
    We will always be grateful to him for that goal. Good defender but if our budget is limited he is easier to replace IMO than other key positions we need to fill.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    As others have said not a huge loss, he can be replaced, Aribo can't.
    Agree, but I think we may have had a better chance of keeping Bauer. No chance of keeping Aribo. That fact that we’ll keep neither shows us where we are in terms of competing with teams around us (as if we didn’t already know!).
  • Options
    Has he seen Preston? He might get a bit of a shock. Or maybe just relieved it isn't Blackburn!
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    A great Shame he has gone 
    but just like Grant he may we’ll regret it.
    i think Bow would have fought harder if he really
    thought he was a serious loss to our new season.
    as regards to Preston as a place, Welmer Bridge
    just outside Preston is like Blackheath but a mansion costs the same as a semi in Blackheath 😂😂