Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Patrick Bauer (**Confirmed Leaving Pg 2**)

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Even if he's not on that much more money, you only have to think back a couple of days to understand why a player out of contract would be willing to move on to another club. Imagine working for a club where the owner releases insane statements a couple of times a year having a go at the fans, saying the manager is off because he's too greedy and trying to get the league to buy the club. It's an absolute madhouse and the only reason we're still putting up with it is because we're stuck as fans forever. It must take its toll on the players too. Preston finished not too far outside the play offs last season, and we didn't replace our top scorer in January even when we were within sight of promotion so he probably doesn't fancy our chances of massively strengthening this summer. Possible relegation scrap or possible push for promotion, which will be the most enjoyable season? Preston are the stable choice. If they were paying him a tenner more a week it would still make sense. 
  • Options
    Don’t know if I am reading too much into this but.......if you watch Pat’s reaction immediately after he scored at Wembley it was somewhat muted......the other players went absolutely mental but he appeared to be being reflective and far less excited.
    Maybe that’s his character but I’m certain he wasn’t leaping around like the rest of the guys......even when they got into an impromptu celebratory huddle on the touchline he more or less ambled up and as an afterthought joined in....if you don’t believe me take another look, you’ll see what i mean.
    As I say, it may just be his character but it was certainly a different reaction from the rest of the guys.
  • Options
    Bauer in the 94th!

Deep in my heart of hearts I knew this was coming given the lack of takeover movement, but I'm gutted nonetheless.

Go well BFG. A complete professional and thoroughly nice gentleman by all accounts.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Another thing about losing Pat ...... he had represented a continuity of stability in the team.

He had been one of the longest serving players, consistant and dependable and a role model for incoming players and upcoming youngsters. 

He 'got' what a Lee Bowyer team was all about.
    I bet Lee would rather he'd stayed and provided stability, part of the transition of the team to cope with the Championship.

This.

Don't get me wrong, I quite like Preston, both as a place and the club (it was the nearest league ground to me for a while when I was a student - until Morecambe got promoted).

But hearing that Bauer was signing for them was a real kick the cat moment.

I can't make my mind up as to whether to fume or to cry...
  • Options
    CHG said:
    Great night out in Preston. What was he thinking £££?
    When you’ve just started a family, and someone offers you double your salary, are you going to chose club loyalty over family loyalty? Don’t think so. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    CHG said:
    When you’ve just started a family, and someone offers you double your salary, are you going to chose club loyalty over family loyalty? Don’t think so. 
    That’s true......but with a takeover very much in the offering you would have hoped he could have found a way to wait and see which way the dice might fall.
     He’s his own man of course and will do as he sees fit.
  • Options

Just to add my thoughts.

Bauer was a good member of  our team, even without the Wembley goal. He gave his all and along with almost everyone I'm grateful for his efforts.

He decided to leave months ago, so it's no surprise. I don't know what he earned at Charlton, nor what he'll earn at PNE

But, he has gone down in my estimation for joining Preston. I understand he wanted more money than Charlton would pay and I don't hold that against him. But Preston!! Surely he could have done better than that?

I hope they get relegated.

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    It’s worth noting that Preston don’t actually pay big money and their revenue of £13.4m in 2017/18 is very similar to what Charlton’s will be in 2019/20 - in fact it’s a fair bet Charlton’s will be higher.

Their wage bill in 17/18 was £15m against Charlton’s £10m on much lower L1 income.

Obviously we don’t know Bauer is going there, his wider reasoning or how far up Lee Bowyer’s priority list retaining him was.

But let’s be clear that if they are offering him double what Charlton are, it’s a choice on both sides. It’s not can’t in our case, it’s won’t. 
    Good point made @Airman Brown .A strange move because i heard the max Preston would pay is 7 a week.
    Sounds like he got impatient. Apparently he threw his toys out last season, when he was stopped going to Blackburn.
    If and it is if we were offering £5Kpw and Preston offered £7Kpw, it's still £100Kpa pay rise.
    I'll be honest and say I would move for an extra £100Kpa. 
    Yes - there's a big difference between a bloke on those kind of wages moving for better earnings than one on 70Kpw moving to get 100Kpw, in my opinion (I know many others don't share it).   
  • Options
    Thank you Patrick for all you did for us. I think Preston are fine - they strike me as a well run club and to be honest after the omnishambles that is anything touched by the hand of Duchatelet, you need some time at a club where the off-field issues don't overwhelm everything else. The extra dosh probably helps as well. Good luck (except against us). 
  • Options
    even a couple of grand a week adds up to a lot over a year, and or the term of a contract
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
     Preston! 
  • Options
    This is reminiscent to me of Claus Jensen leaving us to go to Fulham.
  • Options
    He didn't get offered double his salary.......  :neutral:
  • Options
    Don’t know if I am reading too much into this but.......if you watch Pat’s reaction immediately after he scored at Wembley it was somewhat muted......the other players went absolutely mental but he appeared to be being reflective and far less excited.
    Maybe that’s his character but I’m certain he wasn’t leaping around like the rest of the guys......even when they got into an impromptu celebratory huddle on the touchline he more or less ambled up and as an afterthought joined in....if you don’t believe me take another look, you’ll see what i mean.
    As I say, it may just be his character but it was certainly a different reaction from the rest of the guys.
    Noticed that but think it's just his character. Either that or he was knackered.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    CHG said:
    That’s true......but with a takeover very much in the offering you would have hoped he could have found a way to wait and see which way the dice might fall.
     He’s his own man of course and will do as he sees fit.
    You could understand him being skeptical of the prospects of a takeover happening any time soon. 
  • Options
    He released a video on Preston site earlier rocking a 12k rolex so we werent exactly paying peanuts, for me as others have said a takeover v much a possibility seems a bizarre move. 

• Options
    edited June 2019

"Oh no - what have I done?? Does this mean I'll HAVE to stay!!??"

• Options
    Daggs said:

Just to add my thoughts.

Bauer was a good member of  our team, even without the Wembley goal. He gave his all and along with almost everyone I'm grateful for his efforts.

He decided to leave months ago, so it's no surprise. I don't know what he earned at Charlton, nor what he'll earn at PNE

But, he has gone down in my estimation for joining Preston. I understand he wanted more money than Charlton would pay and I don't hold that against him. But Preston!! Surely he could have done better than that?

I hope they get relegated.

Nonsense. Not a chance he would have gone to Preston if we'd matched or bettered their offer.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    He didn't get offered double his salary.......  :neutral:
    Yeah probably we offered him half his current salary 😢
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    CHG said:

I hope his wife hasn't got too used to Chislehurst...........Preston might be a bit of a shock come December, although I suppose they could move a bit further out, like Southport. 

As for his last minute goal..........he was just lucky to be in the right place & the right time - and then he nearly missed as it went in off the defender. Its ok, I'm like the Murphy's.........

(For context I got done for speeding in Preston & as it took ne to 12 points I went to the Magistrates Court there for a hearing. Managed to get off a ban due to "financial hardship".......but that's another story)

• Options
    Preston! - Turn it in Paddy. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    JamesSeed said:
    CHG said:

I hope his wife hasn't got too used to Chislehurst...........Preston might be a bit of a shock come December, although I suppose they could move a bit further out, like Southport. 

Preston as a small city might or might not have appeal to some.

But it's never far from some of the most attractive scenery in England, whether coastal or exploring the beautiful Ribble Valley. 

Plenty to do up that way. And warm friendly people too.

Edit: There's just one major drawback ...... the M6.

The density of traffic congestion almost solidly between Manchester and Birmingham makes it a serious rival to the M25, as Britain's largest car park. 

I should know, it took 4 hours to do that stretch of road for me last Friday! Let's just hope Patrick doesn't need to drive back to London very often!

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:
    CHG said:

But it's never far from some of the most attractive scenery in England, whether coastal or exploring the beautiful Ribble Valley. 

It probably appeals to people from sellafield.  ;)
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    razil said:
    its fairly simple re Bauer in my view under RD senior pros in their prime are off our radar, we are in for younger cheaper prospects, and very good value older frees, and of course VALUE loans. Bauer as a senior pro and is entitled to find his worth which I expect is dramatically more than we are likely to pay.
    It's not though, that was my point, he's got 2 a week max probably only 1 a week. Can't see the point in moving.
    The agent just after their fee probably.
    Probably also gets a decent signing on fee as he's a free transfer.

Plus it'll be cheaper for him to live up there. 

Plus Preston won't be fighting relegation.

3 good reasons.
    You watch as we finish 9th as Preston lose 1-0 in their last game to end up relegated by a Paddy B own goal. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:
    CHG said:

It probably appeals to people from sellafield.  ;)
    I had a birds-eye view of Sellafield last week .... from the top of Scafell.

The most spectacular stunningly beautiful view of wild unspoiled land and seascape ..... except for the hideous chimneys, sheds and detritus of that nuclear power station.

• Options
    He might live in Lytham, probably the nearest thing to Chislehurst around there!
  • Options
    If he has ambitions to play in the Prem, he could sign for Burnley ..... without moving house.

All part of his master plan! :smile:

• Options
    Gonna be missed massively. Can't help but think he would of been a key player for us staying up this season. Good luck and all the best to him. Gave me one of my best footballing moments ever. So for that I will always be eternally grateful. Good luck BFG!
  • Options
    Pick the right area and the North West can be a lovely part of the world to live in. For a young family, with a bit of money, it's the right move.