Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Surely one of the best Valley photos ever! Fantastic high resolution too. All the cranes by the river! It clearly shows how high the East Terrace was. Amazing!

Surely one of the best Valley photos ever! Fantastic high resolution too. All the cranes by the river! It clearly shows how high the East Terrace was. Amazing!
    Not only how high the east terrace was but The Heights End as we knew it (Jimmy Seed) stand went up to the same height when this photo was taken😀

40,000 people could stand on that east terrace , the largest in Europe 

• Found another one, absolutely the last one, same Man City game as the earlier one.  Always seemed to be hot on the first day of the season and the pitch looks great as was Morecambe’s the other day.

I assume that the large factory blocks behind the Covered End in the first picture I sent is the Siemens Factory?
  • Assuming the long narrow rectangle at the top of the south terrace was one of the legendary toilets?
    Yes but calling them toilets is being kind.

• Brilliant - are you sure there are no more?!

I once saw a "colourised" image of the main stand and it looked green. I assumed it was an error but this seems to suggest that it was actually green and cream? It was only red and white in my time.
  • stonemuse said:

Any idea when this was taken? Looks a bit earlier than the others. Another great photo
  • The houses in Harvey Gardens look newly built. Does anyone know when that was?
  • The houses in Harvey Gardens look newly built. Does anyone know when that was?
    1936 - there is a plaque on the front of one of the houses 
  • Someone posted this a while ago. The Siemens factory is the target in this German picture. It's directly behind the Covered end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Post war judging by the Covered End roof but pre floodlights - not sure when they arrived.
    Thank you. That would make that photo mid to late thirties. 
  • Think the first floodlit game was 20 September 1961 .. lost 2-0 to Rotherham, we were clearly blinded by the novelty
  • edited March 2023
    Someone posted this a while ago. The Siemens factory is the target in this German picture. It's directly behind the Covered end.
    That's one from Grandad Wolfgang's private collection.
    I think it’s post war, because one end of the Covered Roof is a different colour to the rest of the roof, due to repairs done after damage during WW2
    I reckon you're spot on.
  • Off_it said:
    The houses in Harvey Gardens look newly built. Does anyone know when that was?
    I think it’s post war, because one end of the Covered Roof is a different colour to the rest of the roof, due to repairs done after damage during WW2
    I reckon you're spot on.
    Agreed. Good detective work chaps! Think it may be late forties then.
  • Off_it said:
    The houses in Harvey Gardens look newly built. Does anyone know when that was?
    I reckon you're spot on.
    Agreed. Good detective work chaps! Think it may be late forties then.
    Floodlights installed 1961 per Battle for The Valley, so could be 1950’s

In any event, that photo shows a big crowd for the match being played
  • Note the CAFC letters now added to the Grandstand. 

This photo was 72/73 or 73/74, possibly my first full season.
    IIRC that's Flanagan scoring v Port Vale.
  • Sponsored links:

• Brilliant - are you sure there are no more?!

I once saw a "colourised" image of the main stand and it looked green. I assumed it was an error but this seems to suggest that it was actually green and cream? It was only red and white in my time.
    Green and white as seen and without the 
    C A F C on the front of stand.
  • schools match mid 60’s
  • Acab said:
    schools match mid 60’s
    Dad first took me 1976 - East Terrace was still the same size then - it’s unbelievable looking back isn’t it - just massive - huge - I thought it was normal, until Dad took me to first away game for me - Millwall !!!
  • picture shows south end of ground.
  • Acab said:
    picture shows south end of ground.
    The heights end at full height combined with the east Terrace always looked huge. I'd guess the combined capacity of the two must have been 55-60,000 +
  • great picture of the south end. It looks like the top third is already in the process of being removed?
  • Acab said:
    schools match mid 60’s

Any idea who's playing who?
  • Acab said:
    schools match mid 60’s

Any idea who's playing who?
    jumpers for goalposts. Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous.

That was Charlton park every sunday morning. Mid sixties.