Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    I used to go to a hairdressers called Kayes, back of the Granada opposite the ferry. 'Proper' hairstylist, washed your hair and blow dried it, then sprayed it with lacquer!
    Kayes!!!  Tom, who started there in 1961 and ended up as Manager , lived above me in Samuel Street SE18. He was from Italy but became a true Charlton fan once he arrived in sunny Woolwich. By coincidence he now lives close to me in Bexley, happily retired. We always spent the time having hair cut moaning about the previous game, nothing changes!!
    Except the amount of hair on your head?
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    A friend from Milano said:

Oh yes, He is a Ac Milan myth. Called il Pompiere (The Fireman) scored massive amount of goals with Milan side and well known for his physical awe. Part of the GRENOLI (Grehn Nordahl Liedholm) 3 swedish redandblack footballers. We have been said he usually scored with 2 or 3 opponents attached to his shirt and forcefully dragged across half the pitch...🤩
    I have heard the French call the Belgians 'les pompiers' which is French slang for someone who gives men oral pleasure.
  • Options
    I used to go to a hairdressers called Kayes, back of the Granada opposite the ferry. 'Proper' hairstylist, washed your hair and blow dried it, then sprayed it with lacquer!
    Kayes!!!  Tom, who started there in 1961 and ended up as Manager , lived above me in Samuel Street SE18. He was from Italy but became a true Charlton fan once he arrived in sunny Woolwich. By coincidence he now lives close to me in Bexley, happily retired. We always spent the time having hair cut moaning about the previous game, nothing changes!!
    Except the amount of hair on your head?
    Spot on - though I like to think I am a Retro Skinhead.
  • Options
    Some great early 90's beer there
    Kronenbourg stubby
    McEwans Export
    Websters Bitter
    Heineken Export
    Boddingtons
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    close season .. 1968 probably .. so many cranes
    Oh that is a wonderful picture, thank you.

• Options
    The year I started supporting the club.
  • Options

That was my way in!!
  • Options
    edited March 2023

That was my way in!!
    Me too , and both Who concerts lol.  The old open air bogs, the cranes, just wonderful flash backs!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just when you thought you'd seen every picture of The Valley....Great picture.

• Options
    Did you take this? If not where did it come from? Any more ?

• Options
    Yes I took it, Kodachrome slide as you can probably tell.  Only other one I have is slightly earlier, opening game of 64/65 season, against Man City, won 2-1, Kenning and Firmani.  You can see John Hewie, Brian Kinsey, Lenny Glover, Eddie and is that Roy Matthews at inside-right.  Poor season though as soon after this we were beaten at home by Palace.  They’d always been a 3rd/4th Division team with a shambles of a stadium that looked like a northern Rugby League ground.  
  • Options

Thanks for sharing. Wonderful.  Hope you don't mind but the first photo is now my PC wallpaper. I think the first one is a great wall hanger.
  • Options
    Another great picture… a really good shot of that strange bit of terracing under the Courage sign where in my day the police used to stand.
  • Options
    love both those pics @CheshireFan
  • Options

Superb pic
  • Options
    opening game of 64/65 season, against Man City, won 2-1
    Third match I went to, after seeing last two games of the previous season 
  • Options

Thanks for sharing. Wonderful.  Hope you don't mind but the first photo is now my PC wallpaper. I think the first one is a great wall hanger.
    No problem .. glad you like it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That was my way in!!
    Me too , and both Who concerts lol.  The old open air bogs, the cranes, just wonderful flash backs!
    Was the weak point in the defences.  Remember one day out playing during the week and seeing lots of kids both climbing in and climbing out we naturally all climbed over to see what was going on and the little tea hut you can see had been broken into and was being looted.  We only watched  ;)
  • Options
    Fantastic photos, thank you for sharing them.
  • Options
    Assuming the long narrow rectangle at the top of the south terrace was one of the legendary toilets?
  • Options
    Assuming the long narrow rectangle at the top of the south terrace was one of the legendary toilets?
    yes indeed
  • Options

Can someone transfer this great photo to the section. ……Is This The Valley please.
    so we can see both views
  • Options

Can someone transfer this great photo to the section. ……Is This The Valley please.
    so we can see both views
    Done
  • Options
    Cheers
  • Options

I agree with others @CheshireFan, thanks so much for sharing your two wonderful colour photos from the 60s. That was what the Valley was like when I first started going, but seeing the modern all-seater stadium we have today, it's easy to forget how different it was. I was stood on the terrace near the "Take Courage" sign for the last game at The Valley before we decamped to Selhurst Park. When I first went I used to sit on the wall at the top of the East Terrace. Not sure my eyesight would be good enough to see that far to the pitch nowadays!
  • Options

Surely one of the best Valley photos ever! Fantastic high resolution too. All the cranes by the river! It clearly shows how high the East Terrace was. Amazing!