Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    The barber of choice when we were growing up in SE7 was a small place in Charlton Church Lane ... next to Hindwood's on the corner of Floyd Road.  Where Sainsbury's is now.

As kids, we had to sit on a plank of wood stretched across the barber's chair.

I have a recollection of listening to the radio there as England beat Mexico 8-0 one glorious midweek afternoon.

England 8 Mexico 0 1961 - YouTube

Anyone else able to carbon date a haircut when they were 9?
    That was Andrews. Still there and run by his son.
     I was taken there from about 6 upwards.

in fact Andrews is further up the road.

The barber that I'm talking about is where I described.  Between the Barclay's bank and Hindwood's.  Your place is up the hill beyond Wellington Gardens.

Quite a different place.  Maybe they moved premises?
    No, I know the one you mean. Dark and dingy looking place.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    The barber of choice when we were growing up in SE7 was a small place in Charlton Church Lane ... next to Hindwood's on the corner of Floyd Road.  Where Sainsbury's is now.

I have a recollection of listening to the radio there as England beat Mexico 8-0 one glorious midweek afternoon.

The barber that I'm talking about is where I described.  Between the Barclay's bank and Hindwood's.  Your place is up the hill beyond Wellington Gardens.

Wellington Gardens is where I used to go as a kid for haircut 
  • Options
    Best hairdressers was by the roundabout at the Ferry  - Tom was a Charlton fan and neighbour. Was always a bloody queue though.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

That was the original Andrews.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

That was the original Andrews.
    Ahh yes, so it was 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    George’s used to be next door to the bookies (Coombes).
    Both of which were opposite the station.
    Amount of times you would be left with half an haircut whilst he nipped next door for a punt.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

Yep, that was my place too, mainly because my Dad took us along when he had his hair done. When they trusted me to go along on my own at about the age of 7 or 8 I quickly ditched the short back and sides for something called a "Boston" cut (think JFK) thus causing outrage to mum and dad  :)  I subsequently migrated to a "Beatles" cut about 1964 which excited claims of "wasting money". 
  • Options
    Wasn't a Boston where the hair on the neck was cut straight across and not rounded? 
  • Options
    Yes that’s right.
    Anyone remember a 3/4 parting brush back????
  • Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not heard of that one, maybe some of the horses at Ascot have that!!!!
  • Options
    I used to go to a barber called Hacker Junior (that was his name, honest) in Tranquil Vale, Blackheath Village.
  • Options
    When I was about 14 my barber asked me if I needed anything for the weekend. 

I didn't really know what he was talking about then, but no matter, I didn't need anything for the weekend in any case.  Sadly that situation remains the same today - some 54 years later.  :|  
    Should have replied 'I'll have a leg of lamb'.
  • Options
    Reminds me of the barbers that opened up a few years back next to the post office by the station, seem to remember they had eagle design(s) in the windows, allegedly, they were advised by the OB to remove/change it.

• Options
    DA9 said:
    Reminds me of the barbers that opened up a few years back next to the post office by the station, seem to remember they had eagle design(s) in the windows, allegedly, they were advised by the OB to remove/change it.

The sign 'Crystal Barbers' was put up and then removed!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just seen this on Instagram 

• Options
    shine166 said:
    Just seen this on Instagram 

Carlisle away?
  • Options
    Interested in the name of the pub.  Where did Antigallican come from I wonder?
  • Options
    Excellent, thanks SA
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Our families only claim to fame, I was assured, that my nan travelled on the last journey, on the last tram from Woolwich, I believe. WOW, 😀
  • Options
    We lived in Woolwich Road so the trams ran past the door.  Was only four when the last tram left Greenwich tram depot but can remember playing outside and boys putting pennies on the tram line to see them flattened.
  • Options
    We lived in Woolwich Road so the trams ran past the door.  Was only four when the last tram left Greenwich tram depot but can remember playing outside and boys putting pennies on the tram line to see them flattened.
    Should have been Millwall supporters instead of pennies.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

think the bloke who owed that (back in the 80's) was called George - he had a cracking combover, he moved and opened another shop in Welling High St, near the Turnpike