Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2023
    I set up a deal for Mowlem Homes to build a row of houses at the edge of the car park - Valley Grove. Mowlem were putting the money up.

The club decided to do the same (took my plan)  but not with Mowlem. I was not charging for my time.
  • Options

This is The Valley pre covered end . 
    Should know the year of this photo.
    Think it is one of the Cup ties in the 1920s
  • Options
    Loving the picture of the uncovered end - don't think I've seen one before..
  • Options
    Not an old photo, taken last Saturday. I grew up on the east terrace in the 1970s and love all the old pictures. I can’t see any trace of the old terracing above the concourse behind the AC stand but wonder what the purpose of the door in the picture is. It seems to access the void beneath the stand and it doesn’t look like it’s in regular use. Does anyone know what the door is for and whether any of the original terrace exists under the new stand?

• Options
    The steal supports under the stand will require regular inspection. Lack of inspections led to the issues at Birmingham not being discovered until too late and the mass closure of relatively new stands.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just cames across these "stills" from a film called "The Silent Playground" 1963.
    Apologies if they have been on here before.

• Options
    This is the clip the stills are from.
  • Options
    @SporadicAddick Here is film of our uncovered covered end from 1923.
    https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/49963/

Valley footage starts about one minute five in. Some great footage of a very early Valley

Great stuff Stockport - thanks for sharing. Some of the standing on the upper (unbuilt) part of the East side wouldn't pass modern day H&S!

Hope Portugal is treating you well. 
  • Options
    Ref looking very smart in his blazer.
  • Options

Valley footage starts about one minute five in. Some great footage of a very early Valley

Great stuff Stockport - thanks for sharing. Some of the standing on the upper (unbuilt) part of the East side wouldn't pass modern day H&S!

Hope Portugal is treating you well. 
    That footage of the east makes Norwich's 'nest' of the same era look positively tame lol.

We are loving life in Portugal but all this cheap wine is doing my liver no favours!
    Hope all is well with you. 
  • Options
    The steal supports under the stand will require regular inspection. Lack of inspections led to the issues at Birmingham not being discovered until too late and the mass closure of relatively new stands.
    Judging by the state of that door I assume we have nothing to worry about!
  • Options
    spot the difference(s)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    spot the difference(s)

There's no cars in the bottom photo and it's in colour
    Pre & post decimalisation.
  • Options
    spot the difference(s)

There's no cars in the bottom photo and it's in colour
    I knew someone had to... ;)
  • Options
    spot the difference(s)

Interestingly, the right hand arrow has changed direction. Oh for those prices nowadays!
  • Options
    I thought they were the prices for next season.
  • Options
    Looking at the colour photo, when did we stop employing a Commissionaire at the main entrance?
  • Options
    spot the difference(s)

Rampant inflation - how many years were there between the two? Enclosure tickets have doubled...
  • Options
    Colin Cameron wrote in his book that the prices during 1960-1962 season until the end of 1963-1964 season were 3 bob and 7/6p .
    4 FOUR seasons without a price rise. 

Second photo is 1970-1971 season .

• Options

Fantastic film, never seen that before or the uncovered covered end. Thanks for posting 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Leave off.
    32 years ago and people can remember what stands other fans were given.
    I mean there are a couple of things I can remember like the little bit of fog we had against Leicester in the zds,  but I should think everyone there that night remember s that.
    Kevin Campbell on loan from Arsenal scored their winner didn’t he?