Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Remarkable.  That's the Antigallican in the background.  Why was a show of support for Firmani needed?  And did anyone on here do the walk?
  • Remarkable.  That's the Antigallican in the background.  Why was a show of support for Firmani needed?  And did anyone on here do the walk?
    Yeah, it is. So what's the wall on the right? Looks like a school. 
  • Wall on right roughly where the petrol,station is now?
  • Yeah, or maybe a bit further back along towards the station. I'm sure I remember them building the  flats/houses that are along there now back in the 80s.
  • Fair bloody play. Cafc to qpr is a proper walk! Hope them boys stopped at a good few boozers en route!
  • Fair bloody play. Cafc to qpr is a proper walk! Hope them boys stopped at a good few boozers en route!
    15 miles?
  • Sponsored links:

• Apologies if it's been posted earlier in the thread but I never tire of the one - Charlton fans set off to walk to QPR in Sept. 1967 to show support for new manager Eddie Firmani.

I bet they got there before our coaches.
    There was a butchers shop at the end of that terrace on the left. There were garages behind the shop I used to work in later in the seventies The butcher was Mickey, he was a tough old bastard from Stoke, he owned the butchers in the Covered in Market at Woolwich too.
    Yes, me and my brother are in the picture and possibly Daniel Day Lewis, he was going with us at the time. A lot didn’t walk all the way, we got on the tube at New cross.
    Cheats.
    Yes, me and my brother are in the picture and possibly Daniel Day Lewis, he was going with us at the time. A lot didn’t walk all the way, we got on the tube at New cross.
    Cheats.
    We didn’t walk all the way to palace either, we jumped on a 75. We did walk all the way to millwall though.
    Cheats.
    We didn’t walk all the way to palace either, we jumped on a 75. We did walk all the way to millwall though.
    And ran back.........
    Cheats.
    And ran back.........
    :D
  • Off_it said:
    Remarkable.  That's the Antigallican in the background.  Why was a show of support for Firmani needed?  And did anyone on here do the walk?
    Roughly opposite the old dog racing track I think?
  • Off_it said:
    Remarkable.  That's the Antigallican in the background.  Why was a show of support for Firmani needed?  And did anyone on here do the walk?
    I think the march was the result of the fans genuine desire to get behind Firmani for his first away game following his first home (a 3-0 victory v A. Villa). That was Charlton's first victory of the season and Firmani had written in the programme for that match: I am fully aware of the great esteem of supporters for Charlton Athletic and their unswerving loyalty.

In the picture, Paul Baker is holding the left side of the banner as you look at it. In front of him and arms raised in a clapping motion is Bob Hills whilst the lad carrying the red and white stick is Kevin ?? Behind him is Mickey O'Callaghan.

This is all before the days of mobile phones so how it was organised I don't know. I cheated and instead of meeting at The Valley I rode my Lambretta to The Oval and joined the march somewhere around Vauxhall.

The place on the right isn't a school but an engineering firm? maybe and someone once told me they worked there and gave me the name but I've forgotten - maybe will come back to me during the lockdown.
    Johnson & Phillips? 
  • Off_it said:
    I think the march was the result of the fans genuine desire to get behind Firmani for his first away game following his first home (a 3-0 victory v A. Villa). That was Charlton's first victory of the season and Firmani had written in the programme for that match: I am fully aware of the great esteem of supporters for Charlton Athletic and their unswerving loyalty.

In the picture, Paul Baker is holding the left side of the banner as you look at it. In front of him and arms raised in a clapping motion is Bob Hills whilst the lad carrying the red and white stick is Kevin ?? Behind him is Mickey O'Callaghan.

This is all before the days of mobile phones so how it was organised I don't know. I cheated and instead of meeting at The Valley I rode my Lambretta to The Oval and joined the march somewhere around Vauxhall.

The place on the right isn't a school but an engineering firm? maybe and someone once told me they worked there and gave me the name but I've forgotten - maybe will come back to me during the lockdown.
    Paul Baker has confessed to be the holder of the banner.

He told me that sadly the banner is no more. He kept it for some years but eventually binned it (disgraceful behaviour from a museum trustee).

He made it with a mate who sadly died in a car crash many years ago. It was made from an old bed sheet and iron-on material which he thinks was for repairing clothes.

• That picture is absolutely epic!   I was 4 at the time so am at the back honest...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2020
    Fair bloody play. Cafc to qpr is a proper walk! Hope them boys stopped at a good few boozers en route!
    Half of them don't look old enough to buy a Jamboree Bag lol 
  • Off_it said:

Johnson & Phillips? 
    Yes, I think Johnson & Phillips it is. With the eye of faith you could suggest that the board seen near the top right corner of the photo says Johnson & Phillips Ltd.
  • I was at this game and remember that goal like yesterday. Other games in the area were called off and I recall Derby and Sheffield Wednesday fans in our end. All made for a good day out.
  • Yes,  we went up on the Lewis coach to this.  Second half we were stood on the side terrace.  
  • edited March 2020
    Off_it said:

He told me that sadly the banner is no more. He kept it for some years but eventually binned it (disgraceful behaviour from a museum trustee).

He made it with a mate who sadly died in a car crash many years ago. It was made from an old bed sheet and iron-on material which he thinks was for repairing clothes.

Talking of banners @Henry Irving , did you get my 1998 Wembley one? It also can be seen at the end of the season dvd at the town Hall and went to Newcastle, the 1st match the next season. 
  • edited March 2020
    Off_it said:

Ms AA used the same method for making her banner for greeting David Cassidy at Heathrow.  When she was a teeny-bopper, I might add, not recently.
  • Loving that scrapbook @cabbles