Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    Sorry @JohhnyH2 I meant when it was still a terrace before the East stand opened. I remember FA cup games them having seats in the East Stand but never the terrace 
  • Options
    Wasn't it some point in the early eighties a fence was put on the East Terrace towards the Jimmy Seed Stand that away fans could stand in. Kicked off against Pompey in 84 across the fence
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Sorry @JohhnyH2 I meant when it was still a terrace before the East stand opened. I remember FA cup games them having seats in the East Stand but never the terrace 
    You could go wherever you wanted when the the terraces were there (including away fans), there were no allocated areas anywhere in the ground.....including The West Stand.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    You could go whoever you wanted when the the terraces were there (including away fans), there was no allocated areas anywhere in the ground.....including The West Stand.
    That is not quite correct. As JohnnyH2 correctly says there were times during the 84/85 season when a rather pathetic wood and wire fence was stretched between a small bit of the East Terrace just along from the Jimmy Seed Stand. I can distinctly remember the Portsmouth fans demolishing the fence as I was leaning against it at the time! Fisticuffs followed.

Tony Towner scored a superb equalising goal for us after we had been 2.0 down early on in the game.
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    SE7toSG3 said:
    You could go whoever you wanted when the the terraces were there (including away fans), there was no allocated areas anywhere in the ground.....including The West Stand.
    That is not quite correct. As JohnnyH2 correctly says there were times during the 84/85 season when a rather pathetic wood and wire fence was stretched between a small bit of the East Terrace just along from the Jimmy Seed Stand. I can distinctly remember the Portsmouth fans demolishing the fence as I was leaning against it at the time! Fisticuffs followed.

Tony Towner scored a superb equalising goal for us after we had been 2.0 down early on in the game.
    I do remember that now you mention it, but it was only for a few months.
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    SE7toSG3 said:

And Derek Hales scored his last Charlton goal.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Jimmy Seed talking tactics in 1936.

Jimmy Seed "so my plan is to have four backs, two holding midfielders, three inside forwards and a centre forward"

Don Welsh "that will never work, boss"
    Charlton Atheletic.

Bloody norveners.
    I loved his accent.
    I remember him and my granny saying "why, ya booga geordie!" as an insult. I guess that's because they were actually mackems.

• Options
    Sorry if a repost....Match Of The Day, 51 minutes between Charlton and Bolton in 1965. Look at the state of the pitch!

As Napa says - What a pitch!  Strange vantage point, filmed from the south terrace.  Why did they show 50 minutes of 'highlights'?
    Back then Match of The Day was literally that. One game only.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I can remember during our promotion season 1981 there was a temporary fence put up on the east terrace.  It must have been because the seats were being put in the Jimmy Seed. Can't think of any other reason. 

There was a bit of trouble against Huddersfield on the terrace. 

I also remember during the late 70's Sunderland fans were on the east terrace.  At the end of the game they got on the pitch to save walking around I suppose and the whole Covered End emptied out onto the pitch to confront them.  They were on their toes pretty sharpish. 

This must have been when they were building the Jimmy Seed end as it was open until then. 
  • Options
    That Portsmouth game; there was a permanent metal rail fence running up the terrace. The Pompey fans opened the gate on the walkway and came through. There was a bit of a scuffle but nothing major.

As for the game...Nicky Morgan scored a superb header on the run for them and I think Neil Webb got their other goal. Hales with a trademark diving header at the near post and Towner cut in and low shot. Only 9,200 there which included at least 3,000 Pompey. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    That Portsmouth game; there was a permanent metal rail fence running up the terrace. The Pompey fans opened the gate on the walkway and came through. There was a bit of a scuffle but nothing major.

As for the game...Nicky Morgan scored a superb header on the run for them and I think Neil Webb got their other goal. Hales with a trademark diving header at the near post and Towner cut in and low shot. Only 9,200 there which included at least 3,000 Pompey. 
    Well you say a bit of a scuffle, but there was someone unconscious on the east terrace at the end of the game.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Fulham fan there, 3,000 squeezed onto the East Terrace in 1996? yeah right mate the new one was completed it 94 and I dont recall away fans being allocated any of it since we returned to the Valley. 

This is always worth a re-visit for pictures and video's courtesy of the excellent Charlton Champion website
    https://charltonchampion.co.uk/tag/the-valley/ 
    Yeah, its bullshit.

Fulham have never taken 3,000 anywhere!
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    More from my old man.  I really should let him know how to set up an account 

Charlton 2 v 1 Norwich City  ....24 th August 1968

Dear old Harry wanting to join 'The Covered End' choir after scoring
    our second goal.......Alan Campbell looks on
    Do any life' ers recognize themselves?

My Lewis Coach Ticket ....Swindon away 0-5:Aug'69 (Summer of '69 etc)
    17/6d...... was ok up to half time!

Mr Cabbles Snr
    I was in the Covered End for that game but I think I was further up and just out of shot.
  • Options
    E_cafc said:
    I can remember during our promotion season 1981 there was a temporary fence put up on the east terrace.  It must have been because the seats were being put in the Jimmy Seed. Can't think of any other reason. 

There was a bit of trouble against Huddersfield on the terrace. 

I also remember during the late 70's Sunderland fans were on the east terrace.  At the end of the game they got on the pitch to save walking around I suppose and the whole Covered End emptied out onto the pitch to confront them.  They were on their toes pretty sharpish. 

This must have been when they were building the Jimmy Seed end as it was open until then.

I remember that Sunderland game there was a netting barrier at the front of the covered end and everyone just rolled over it to get on the pitch to get at Sunderland fans. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Mr Cabbles Snr
    Has your dad arrived back yet from the swindon away game?
  • Options
  • Options
     I was 16 at the time and was on one of the Lewis coaches to Swindon. My abiding memory is of a Policeman's helmet being tossed around the Charlton fans occupying the home end. Funnily enough, I can't remember any of the goals. Must have blocked them out.
  • Options

Eddie Firmani toasts his team mates and Jimmy Seed before leaving for Italy for a then record fee of £35,000.  He was the first man to score a hundred goals in England and Italy.  Scoring record speaks for its self.

Senior career*
    YearsTeamApps(Gls)
    1950–1955Charlton Athletic112(51)
    1955–1958Sampdoria63(52)
    1958–1961Internazionale82(48)
    1961–1963Genoa62(25)
    1963–1965Charlton Athletic55(32)
    1965–1967Southend United55(24)
    1967–1968Charlton Athletic10(6)
    1975Tampa Bay Rowdies1(0)
    Total440(238)

Can name the players in the front: Don Townsend, Bobby Ayre, Eddie Marsh, Sam Bartram, Jimmy Seed, and one of my all time favourites Jock Campbell. Can't name the 3 players behind. Anyone help?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On my upstairs hall wall.
    I've seen that one before.  In my hirsute prime, I'd have fitted right in - apart from the footballing ability, of course.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Well you say a bit of a scuffle, but there was someone unconscious on the east terrace at the end of the game.
    Fainted because of the excitement.
  • Options

Eddie Firmani toasts his team mates and Jimmy Seed before leaving for Italy for a then record fee of £35,000.  He was the first man to score a hundred goals in England and Italy.  Scoring record speaks for its self.

Senior career*
    YearsTeamApps(Gls)
    1955–1958Sampdoria63(52)
    1961–1963Genoa62(25)
    Total440(238)

Italian defences must have been dreadful in the '50s!  From '55 to '61, that's 100 gaols in 145 matches.
  • Options

Senior career*
    YearsTeamApps(Gls)
    1955–1958Sampdoria63(52)
    1961–1963Genoa62(25)
    Total440(238)

Italian defences must have been dreadful in the '50s!  From '55 to '61, that's 100 gaols in 145 matches.
    Criminally dreadful.
  • Options
    Great photos. The one on the bottom left is interesting as to the best of my knowledge there were never temporary seats below the walkway on the East Terrace, but they were clearly installed, at least in part....
  • Options
    Think H&S may have stopped us using them, vague memory
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    SE7toSG3 said:

And Derek Hales scored his last Charlton goal.
    A wonderfully timed header, like he collapsed into it in slow motion.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    cabbles said:

Mr Cabbles Snr
    Has your dad arrived back yet from the swindon away game?
    I am in the photo, fantastic memories!