Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Off_it said:
    Remarkable.  That's the Antigallican in the background.  Why was a show of support for Firmani needed?  And did anyone on here do the walk?
    Yeah, it is. So what's the wall on the right? Looks like a school. 
    I think the march was the result of the fans genuine desire to get behind Firmani for his first away game following his first home (a 3-0 victory v A. Villa). That was Charlton's first victory of the season and Firmani had written in the programme for that match: I am fully aware of the great esteem of supporters for Charlton Athletic and their unswerving loyalty.

In the picture, Paul Baker is holding the left side of the banner as you look at it. In front of him and arms raised in a clapping motion is Bob Hills whilst the lad carrying the red and white stick is Kevin ?? Behind him is Mickey O'Callaghan.

This is all before the days of mobile phones so how it was organised I don't know. I cheated and instead of meeting at The Valley I rode my Lambretta to The Oval and joined the march somewhere around Vauxhall.

The place on the right isn't a school but an engineering firm? maybe and someone once told me they worked there and gave me the name but I've forgotten - maybe will come back to me during the lockdown.
    Johnson & Phillips? 
    Yes, I think Johnson & Phillips it is. With the eye of faith you could suggest that the board seen near the top right corner of the photo says Johnson & Phillips Ltd.
    Mind plays tricks after a while but I thought J&P was the other side of the road. 
  • Options
    It's not Johnson & Phillips.

J&P was in Victoria Way, was on the RHS as you went up the hill ... and didn't look like that.

I think that is probably The Antigallican in the background … which makes the procession along Woolwich Road towards Greenwich.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    It's not Johnson & Phillips.

J&P was in Victoria Way, was on the RHS as you went up the hill ... and didn't look like that.

I think that is probably The Antigallican in the background … which makes the procession along Woolwich Road towards Greenwich.
    J&P was massive in Charlton, it was on both sides of Victoria Way and above and below the railway, it also had warehouses on the lower road.
  • Options
    trying to fine old map of johnson and phillips but have to go thru boxes of stuff....BUT as guinnessaddick said johnson and phillips had many locations in and around Victoria Way......still think that is part of J and P on the right of photo.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Remarkable.  That's the Antigallican in the background.  Why was a show of support for Firmani needed?  And did anyone on here do the walk?
    Yeah, it is. So what's the wall on the right? Looks like a school. 
    I think the march was the result of the fans genuine desire to get behind Firmani for his first away game following his first home (a 3-0 victory v A. Villa). That was Charlton's first victory of the season and Firmani had written in the programme for that match: I am fully aware of the great esteem of supporters for Charlton Athletic and their unswerving loyalty.

In the picture, Paul Baker is holding the left side of the banner as you look at it. In front of him and arms raised in a clapping motion is Bob Hills whilst the lad carrying the red and white stick is Kevin ?? Behind him is Mickey O'Callaghan.

This is all before the days of mobile phones so how it was organised I don't know. I cheated and instead of meeting at The Valley I rode my Lambretta to The Oval and joined the march somewhere around Vauxhall.

The place on the right isn't a school but an engineering firm? maybe and someone once told me they worked there and gave me the name but I've forgotten - maybe will come back to me during the lockdown.

• Options
    Mickey O'Callaghan used to live on Woolwich Road just before that wall starts. I know that because my best friend at primary school lived at 85 Troughton Road and the two houses backed on to each other and we used to arrange to go and play football on the grass behind The Rose of Denmark, through the fence.

What a different world it was!

I am guessing he joined the march as it went past his front gate and that is how he comes to be in the front.

I see him quite a bit in the pub so I will get to the bottom of that eventually, if not on here.
  • Options
    The old OS maps of the area show Johnson & Phillips either side of Victoria Way … main offices etc on the right as you go up the hill, with further buildings on the left between the railway and Fossdene school.  All this was eventually taken over by Delta Enfield cables in the 1960/70s.

Here's an interesting painting of the original J&P Victoria Works which was done in 1877 by Claude Johnson.  I think it shows the view from what is now Delafield Road back towards Victoria Way, with the early railway shown to the right.

Down on the lower road (Woolwich Road) in the area which, I think, the photograph shows (roughly where the BP garage is now - opposite M&S and Costa) was the remnants of the old Troughton & Simms Instrument works.  It may be that J&P commandeered some of this old site … I don't know.

@Lucky_the_Cat … good to see the young 'Cally' in that picture.  I haven't seen him for over 50 years.  And football behind the Rose of Denmark?  We must have know each other as kids.  I was the one who generally put the ball into New's garden.
  • Options
    Found the old map but that is not helping....Johnson and Phillips had many buildings along victoria way even down to the junction of woolwich road upuntil 1970s....Still think that is a JOHNSON AND PHILLIPS site on the photo of the march to QPR in 1967.
  • Options
    Found the old map but that is not helping....Johnson and Phillips had many buildings along victoria way even down to the junction of woolwich road upuntil 1970s....Still think that is a JOHNSON AND PHILLIPS site on the photo of the march to QPR in 1967.
    Used to work to Delta Cables that was once J&P, they had warehouses on the either side of the lower road.
  • Options
    The photo of fans walking along woolwich road have walked pass Charlton greyhound track which would be on left of photo and i think the house on left with advert on side of building is the begin of Lombard Walk.Main gate for dog track was along Anchor and Hope Lane.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The photo of fans walking along woolwich road have walked pass Charlton greyhound track which would be on left of photo and i think the house on left with advert on side of building is the begin of Lombard Walk.Main gate for dog track was along Anchor and Hope Lane.

When did the Charlton greyhound stadium close?

I never knew there was a greyhound stadium.
  • Options
    The greyhound stadium closed in 1971

• Options
    Addickted said:
    The greyhound stadium closed in 1971

Do you have any race cards?  I'd love to lay my hands on one.

• Options
    My Dad worked at Sykes Pumps and I can remember him showing me some of the old walls of the greyhound stadium.
  • Options
    The fish and chip shop was between  Church Lane and the Rose of Denmark
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2020
    My Grandad was manager at the dog track for a while.

I think it was pre World War 2 but not absolutely sure. He died when I was 9 so my memories of what he told me before he died may not be as comprehensive as they would had I been older.

• Options
    Love that QPR photo with Young @oohaahmortimer counting the away numbers bottom right  ;)

And thanks for @cabbles Snr's photos. I've often written of Harry Gregory jumping on the little fence to celebrate and there is now photographic evidence! I couldn't see myself but at that time I tried to get down the front by the fence if I could.
  • Options

Nice syrup  ;)
  • Options
    I love looking at old pictures of places I know and comparing them to now. Fascinating.
  • Options
    The fish and chip shop was between  Church Lane and the Rose of Denmark

I don't recall that … but there was a fish and chip shop/hut called 'Ransom's' in what is now Ransom Walk.  The only other fish and chip shop in the area in my time (1950s to 1970s) was on the corner of Dupree Road and Woolwich Road.

Times were hard then.
  • Options

Found by my missus on a Facebook group page and shown to me because my brother is in there. 

See a certain Richie Bowman in the front row. 
  • Options
    boxing at primary school - love it
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Nice syrup  ;)
    Cheers,
     it wasn't long after (69) it was all off with a razor parting. Charlton skins came about and everything got a bit more edgy than the boisterousness of the walk to QPR.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    My recollection is also that the entrance to the greyhound track was from the main Woolwich Road.

Lewis Coaches has the location of the original picture about right.  As I said, about where the BP garage is now opposite M&S and Costa.

Here's an aerial shot from 1933.  It's a bit small, but you can save and then enlarge.

The West Stand is visible in the top right of the picture, greyhound track slightly left of centre towards the top … and J&P in Victoria Way in all its glory below the greyhound track.  Note that J&P occupies most (but not all) of the RHS of Victoria Way up to the junction with Eastcombe Avenue (opposite Fossdene school) as well as most of the area South of the railway across to Inverine Road/Delafield Road (compare to Claude Johnson's painting from 1877).

Being pre-war, the picture is interesting in that Troughton Road is yet to experience the bomb damage.  All the area that was to become Phipps House and Hartwell House is intact and shows terraced houses right up to Victoria Way and also on the Woolwich Road to the West of the Rose of Denmark.  I can also see what would have been Nos 2, 4, 6 and 8 Victoria Way … the absence of those houses baffled me as a child growing up across the road.  Quite amazing that 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 Victoria Way survived when you see what was taken out by the bombing on either side of that terrace.

Final quiz question for those of a similar age who grew up in the area … what was the name of the barbers opposite the Watermans Arms (so diagonally opposite to the Antigallican)?