Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    Any old photos of the bar under the Cupboard End?
  • Options
    I would have been at that game, but I can't for the life of me remember him.
  • Options
    I remember Trevor Hockey playing for Birmingham.  
  • Options
    I remember Trevor Hockey playing for Sheff U.
    I had him on a bubble gum card.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I was at the Swindon game Don Rogers tore us apart, Peter Noble scored a hat trick and when we signed Arthur Horsefield (who also played that day) l thought we had signed the wrong player and should have got Noble.
    How wrong can you be King Arthur scored for fun and went onto become one of my all time favourites.
    There is film of the game on you tube as it was featured on the tele and no I don't remember John Minnnock I'm afraid.
  • Options
    I remember Trevor Hockey playing for Birmingham.  
    Wiki page about him says he died of heart attack aged 43 !!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was at Swindon when we got thumped 5-0. I seem to recall a rather spectacular own goal that day by Jack Birkett - or am I confusing different games? Either way I don't recall Mr Minnock!
  • Options
    Video here of John Minnock missing a penalty for Athlone Town vs A C Milan plus an interview with the man himself !!!!

• Options
    Davo55 said:
    I was at Swindon when we got thumped 5-0. I seem to recall a rather spectacular own goal that day by Jack Birkett - or am I confusing different games? Either way I don't recall Mr Minnock!
    Yes, Burkett og in the 72nd. Presumably prompting the substitution in at the same minute. Though it was Harry Gregory that went off.
  • Options
    Id love to see some photos of fans behind the goal at the first play off final v sunderland at old wembley to see if i can spot me and my dad as didn't take any photos that day
  • Options
    I must admit I had never seen this before.
    I presume it dates back to the early 90's when I was in enforced absence from all things Charlton.
    It is described as a proposed rebuild design during our exile.

It's from summer 1991 or thereabouts, as I got one as a present for passing my A Levels.

• Options
    Bournesnr said:
    I was at the Swindon game Don Rogers tore us apart, Peter Noble scored a hat trick and when we signed Arthur Horsefield (who also played that day) l thought we had signed the wrong player and should have got Noble.
    How wrong can you be King Arthur scored for fun and went onto become one of my all time favourites.
    There is film of the game on you tube as it was featured on the tele and no I don't remember John Minnnock I'm afraid.
    Don Rogers tore a lot of teams apart including Arsenal in a League Cup final I think. Mike Sumerbee was playing and all the locals called him "Buzzeerrrrr."
  • Options
    how4rdl said:
    Bournesnr said:
    Don Rogers tore a lot of teams apart including Arsenal in a League Cup final I think. Mike Sumerbee was playing and all the locals called him "Buzzeerrrrr."
    Summerbee can’t have played against us that day or against Arsenal in the League Cup Final as he left Swindon for Man City in 1965.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    John Joseph Minnock, V345. Poor old John has possibly the worst record of any player to make Charlton's first team. Bought from St Patricks for £8,000 in 1968 he had to wait a year for his debut, during which time he also failed to make it into an official team photograph. His one appearance commenced in the 72nd minute of an away match at Swindon. When JJ entered the field, Charlton were trailing by three goals. Eighteen minutes later it finished 5-0 to The Moonrakers. At the end of the season he returned to the Emerald Isle, going to Athlone Town for a quarter of his original price.  

Aside for 5 months at San Diego Jaws when he was apparently denied a first team 'uniform' and made to play wearing lab assistant's goggles, he never played for a non-Irish team again.

Of course, the big question is. Do we have any Lifers who were at The County Ground that fateful day and can say, 'I saw John Minnock'?
    Having 18+ minutes of football for Charlton, would be giving him almost a gold watch, when you think of Tivey, Bagheri & Parzyszek to name but a few.
  • Options
    Great post @MrCabblesSnr, come and join the party! 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    John Joseph Minnock, V345. Poor old John has possibly the worst record of any player to make Charlton's first team. Bought from St Patricks for £8,000 in 1968 he had to wait a year for his debut, during which time he also failed to make it into an official team photograph. His one appearance commenced in the 72nd minute of an away match at Swindon. When JJ entered the field, Charlton were trailing by three goals. Eighteen minutes later it finished 5-0 to The Moonrakers. At the end of the season he returned to the Emerald Isle, going to Athlone Town for a quarter of his original price.  

Aside for 5 months at San Diego Jaws when he was apparently denied a first team 'uniform' and made to play wearing lab assistant's goggles, he never played for a non-Irish team again.

Of course, the big question is. Do we have any Lifers who were at The County Ground that fateful day and can say, 'I saw John Minnock'?
    I was there 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    I must admit I had never seen this before.
    I presume it dates back to the early 90's when I was in enforced absence from all things Charlton.
    It is described as a proposed rebuild design during our exile.

It's from summer 1991 or thereabouts, as I got one as a present for passing my A Levels.

You got a football stadium as a present?
  • Options
    Orient res side had Mick Jones that would go on to play for Charlton.
  • Options
    And Terry Brisley. 
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    how4rdl said:
    Bournesnr said:
    Summerbee can’t have played against us that day or against Arsenal in the League Cup Final as he left Swindon for Man City in 1965.

Mametz said:
    how4rdl said:
    Bournesnr said:
    Absolutely right! Must have been at an earlier game in 1965 when I heard the locals. But I certainly remember Rogers tearing us apart in 1969 and also Arsenal in the 68/69 League Cup final. 😀
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Great post @MrCabblesSnr, come and join the party! 

Ha - I would love to get him on here but he’s very much a man of the 1970s.  If Charlton Life were a weekly newspaper where you write in, you might have more luck 
  • Options
    And Terry Brisley. 
    He was never in The Clash.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Stig said:

Yes, I can! The reason I remember it so well was that the game was in the days when Match of the Day only featured one match. About twice per season, they featured a Division Two game. Why they picked Swindon v Charlton, I have no idea. As I arrived home, Match of the Day came on the TV and I had to suffer the 5-0 defeat all over again. 

What I can't claim to remember is anything that John Minnock that contributed to the game in any way, either positively or negatively.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Cabbles Snr, not a member has asked me to post the following 

John Minnock signed Feb'69. Picture showing John taken by 'The Mercury'
    with name spelt incorrectly. His Charlton home debut against Orient Res
    lost 1-4. I was there, I also saw games involving him against Fulham pre season
    friendly '69 and the sub appearance at Swindon 0-5. I remember the name well
    but unfortunately I can't remember how he played. That might tell you something
    I remember all of that Charlton reserve team - I may well have been at the game - although I am struggling to remember the forename of Eyles (Terry, Trevor??). I have no recall of Mr van Vuuren though.