Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lewis Page's Instagram / Players Xmas jolly to Newcastle

Comments

• Options
    DA9 said:

I said it further up the thread, crass timing and stupid to post on social media, if your firm has a bad day at the office, loses money on a deal, doesn’t hit a sales target etc, do you expect your xmas bash to be cancelled?

Not altogether a valid comparison as most aren't pro athletes who in this day and age whereby the effects of alcohol intake, lack of sleep and diet can all materially hinder recovery and future performance. Different from arsenal and man united culture of the 80s.

If I was a share holder of a company that hasn't been performing well for years that lost a major sale and saw literally hours later the management and reps that caused the loss out on a jolly up evidently not giving toss about the loss I'd probably be annoyed.
  • Options

tbh i think by the time they get to an airport it would be about the same, does seem mad to do after a home game and especially this fixture. all hanging out there asses for the 25th anniversary dinner isn't a great look is it.

What, to get to London City Airport from The Valley....erm no way.
  • Options

tbh i think by the time they get to an airport it would be about the same, does seem mad to do after a home game and especially this fixture. all hanging out there asses for the 25th anniversary dinner isn't a great look is it.

Don’t think there are flights from 1pm Saturday to Sunday allowed from LCY
  • Options

Chartering a plane would be incredibly expensive though, imagine the flak the players would have got if that had leaked out! The only scheduled flights to Newcastle are from Heathrow

I wonder if Lee Bowyer was there or recommended Newcastle, as has anyone else in the squad actually played up there?
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Chartering a plane would be incredibly expensive though, imagine the flak the players would have got if that had leaked out! The only scheduled flights to Newcastle are from Heathrow

I wonder if Lee Bowyer was there or recommended Newcastle, as has anyone else in the squad actually played up there?
    Just read an article with Chris Solly from Saturday’s programme. He mentions that he and Ricky Holmes were in charge of sorting the Christmas piss up out.

Leon Best played for Newcastle.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Newcastle, Bowyer, night out, nah unless they went for a Mac D's afterwards :open_mouth:
  • Options
    robroy said:

They should have gone to The Millers in Bexley Village.

Think I’m going to savour all it has to offer again on Saturday night.

See you in there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2017

Surprisingly, I was more annoyed by this than I thought I would be. Well, disappointed rather than annoyed. And this is coming from someone that places high value on the benefits of team bonding.
    These are my reasons,

- Quite simply this was our club’s most important fixture in the 17/18 calendar. So much so that the club had asked the EFL for this fixture for this date. Huge emphasis was being put on it, it should have been the players (without doubt the most important people on Saturday) SOLE focus for that day.
    - If you ask any ex pro, they will tell you that in the run up to these away joliies, it dominates everything. The banter, talk about outfits, organising the whip or challenges, room shares, travel details, what VIP bookings where etc. This would have been the talk of the dressing room in the days leading up to Saturday, no doubt about it and I’m pretty sure the thing the players were most thinking about / looking forward to when they woke up Saturday morning.
    - With trains already booked so soon after the game, what would have been on the players’ minds if the ko had been delayed half hour by crowd congestion? Are they thinking about the game or clock watching and getting anxious?
    - It was clearly a quick shower and out the door. What if the manager wanted to bring up a few things after the game? Even if he did, none of them would have been concentrating and just thinking hurry up.
    - Why pretty much the furthest point in the country? I’m not up on my sports science but recovery is apparently meant to be key and we are being told last week that the EFL has to change and the fixture list is a joke. 4hrs sitting on a train there, a day or so of boozing and then a 4rh train back isn’t telling me you are looking after your body in the best way at a crucial point in the season. We live in the biggest city / nightclub network in the country where they easily could have had a discreet solid night out without the agg of traipsing the whole length of the country. End of Season is for away jollies.
    - The manager when ever an opportunity presents itself will give tub-thumping speeches about providing the right platform for players, and in turn players representing the people, giving 110% for the cause, being professional and representing yourselves in right way etc. Flooding social media with what looks like cup winning celebrations 2hrs after a real disappointing defeat in a big game was going to do nothing but wind people up

Perhaps I am being miserable, so please feel free to disagree / pick holes with any of those points

I agree with all that AFKA, all I would add is that these young men can't be (and probably shouldn't be) trusted to make the correct decisions. Lewis Page, who posted this was, from memory, sent off within ten minutes of his debut, and based on some of his other posts, it's clear that if he weren't a professional footballer he would most likely not be earning a living using his brain. It doesn't bode well for Jackson (who I am a massive fan of) in terms of his intention to get into Management if he is going to be involved in this sort of behavior as part of the Management team now. The night out is not in question but the unsociable behavior on the train (isn't alcohol banned on trains now) is not something anyone in management should be doing with his subordinates, in public, displaying the employers brand on their clothing.

What should have happened is a set of 'guidelines' should have been issued. From what I've seen of Robinson he probably just said something like don't do anything stupid. On the basis that the young footballers can't be relied upon to know the difference they should have been given better instruction. As Robinson can't be trusted to do it he should have been given the 'guidelines' and told to ensure that the players adhered to them. Those 'guidelines' should have come from above.

Thus, the buck stops with Miere or Keohane, or both. I've been quite outspoken about blaming them for everything as I'm not sure that it's fair, or appropriate, but this is, definitely, at their door. I suspect that if England players had been shouting off on a train getting tanked up, wearing their England kits, they would found themselves facing a disrepute charge from the FA. Look at the two week media coverage Rooney had for going to a wedding and drinking in his England tracksuit. It wasn't hard or complicated, just change clothes and keep the noise down a little, and show some respect for other train users.

Having said all that, I can't tell if the train has the general public on it and if the club booked as a private carriage then that changes everything I've written, even, to a small degree, the Social media post.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited December 2017

DA9 said:

I said it further up the thread, crass timing and stupid to post on social media, if your firm has a bad day at the office, loses money on a deal, doesn’t hit a sales target etc, do you expect your xmas bash to be cancelled?

Not altogether a valid comparison as most aren't pro athletes who in this day and age whereby the effects of alcohol intake, lack of sleep and diet can all materially hinder recovery and future performance. Different from arsenal and man united culture of the 80s.

If I was a share holder of a company that hasn't been performing well for years that lost a major sale and saw literally hours later the management and reps that caused the loss out on a jolly up evidently not giving toss about the loss I'd probably be annoyed.
    My point is, the bash was going to go ahead, win, lose or draw, people are overreacting IMO.
    Someone said earlier, KR should have (maybe he did, maybe he didn’t) told them that it would be a bit sensitive after a home loss on such an important day for the club & fans, and not to post anything on social media.
    Stupidity rather than rubbing it in our faces.
  • Options
    I'm sure I've read somewhere that Bowyer has part ownership in a restaurant in Newcastle with another ex geordie player
  • Options
    Addickted said:

I'm sure I've read somewhere that Bowyer has part ownership in a restaurant in Newcastle with another ex geordie player

Alan Shearer

It's a Chicken and beans themed restaurant
  • Options
    robroy said:

They should have gone to The Millers in Bexley Village.

First sensible comment on this thread.
  • Options
    I agree with a lot of the points AFKA makes, and I did wonder the same about how sharpish they must have been to get on that train, where their minds were at etc.

After Northampton away last year, I had to sprint to the station after the game to make my train and was baffled to also find 4 of the players on the same train, who were on their way to the Haye/Bellew fight at the O2. On that occasion they literally must have been off that pitch immediately after the game and straight out the door - after an awful performance.

Hard to believe their minds are 100% on the game in that scenario, whether it be on the day or during the game itself.
  • Options
    A bit of perspective...my mate & his son (both CAFC fans) were on that train, and said our boys were friendly and generally polite

I agree that stoking social media on nights out like this is plain stupid, but I don't begrudge anyone having a Christmas party, and you have to accept the possibility of it following a defeat. But have a go at more for what happened between 3 & 5 on Saturday, surely, rather than what happened later
  • Options

Does it really matter, what harm have they caused?

Yes.

Misbehaving on trains and disturbing the general public when in the public eye.

Blimey, if the players came from millwall or palice we'd be all over this like a rash.
    Unless I have missed something then I cant really see that they have caused any offence to anyone.
    its not offence, but if fans behave like that they make documentaries about us and call us englands shame etc, the wearing of club kits i thought was a bit off, there was minimal effort on Saturday i'm not asking for miracles im just asking to try hard when playing on the clubs 25th anniversary back where we belong.

instead i had to walk back to the station with a load of cunts from the south coast chanting about 1-0 on your special day, charltons a shithole i want to go home, i could go on.
    I think you set your standards too high. I thought we tried our best but on the day our best wasn't quite good enough on the day. Refer to my other post.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Incidently you can find yourself in a restaurant at this time of year and there is a table which is the an office Christmas do and you get middle aged women having had a few gllasses of wine cackling loudly.
  • Options

Yes.

Blimey, if the players came from millwall or palice we'd be all over this like a rash.
    Unless I have missed something then I cant really see that they have caused any offence to anyone.
    its not offence, but if fans behave like that they make documentaries about us and call us englands shame etc, the wearing of club kits i thought was a bit off, there was minimal effort on Saturday i'm not asking for miracles im just asking to try hard when playing on the clubs 25th anniversary back where we belong.

instead i had to walk back to the station with a load of cunts from the south coast chanting about 1-0 on your special day, charltons a shithole i want to go home, i could go on.
    I think you set your standards too high. I thought we tried our best but on the day our best wasn't quite good enough on the day. Refer to my other post.
    maybe but the games ive seen us live ( no longer a st holder ).

plymouth away
    gillingham away
    wigan home
    peterborough home
    pompey home

out of them did we try our best and wasnt quite good enough, bearing in mind 2 of those above are likely to be relegated this season, i think we should be a top 4 side.
  • Options

Footballer Christmas parties are always controversial, they have to be booked in advance, so there's always the chance that they will follow a poor result. We were poor on Saturday, but it's unfair to suggest the team (as a whole) weren't trying. A bit odd to do it in such a public manner though, I wonder if the other passengers thought it was a carriage full of Charlton supporters!

Yes.

If i'd paid good money to sit in what I assume is first class i'd be pretty pissed off with them.
    There were in standard class. Hopefully not the quiet coach :smile:
    That's alright then. In with the riff raff.
  • Options

you could of flown quicker, or as others say go London we have a lot of clubs here, only difference is in Newcastle they will get minor celebrity treatment up London they wont.

It’s easier to get some birds on board up there though - it’s like a meat market especially in the Bigg Market area, they aren’t fussy.....I should imagine that upon reading this @ElfsborgAddick is checking his train time table and getting his flask ready.

Actually we should book a Charlton Life trip up there.
    F*** that Otto, some have them do not have any teeth in Geordieland.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

McDonalds?
  • Options
    DA9 said:

We’ve not had a great year at work, redundancies have been made, no Xmas party for us.
  • Options
    Have they made it back from the snowy North? Or is there no training today
  • Options

- If you ask any ex pro, they will tell you that in the run up to these away joliies, it dominates everything. The banter, talk about outfits, organising the whip or challenges, room shares, travel details, what VIP bookings where etc. This would have been the talk of the dressing room in the days leading up to Saturday, no doubt about it and I’m pretty sure the thing the players were most thinking about / looking forward to when they woke up Saturday morning.

This for me. Very bad timing to organise it on that day.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    You have London on your doorstep so you decide to have a night out in........................

...Newcastle!?!?!??!
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Keep it private after a result like today.

This, with bells on.

No surprise LP didn't appreciate his crassness - he's demonstrated a complete absence of any football nous so far.