Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lewis Page's Instagram / Players Xmas jolly to Newcastle

Comments

• Options

Does it really matter, what harm have they caused?

None
  • Options

Yes.

Misbehaving on trains and disturbing the general public when in the public eye.

Blimey, if the players came from millwall or palice we'd be all over this like a rash.
    Unless I have missed something then I cant really see that they have caused any offence to anyone.
  • Options

Yes.

Blimey, if the players came from millwall or palice we'd be all over this like a rash.
    Unless I have missed something then I cant really see that they have caused any offence to anyone.
    its not offence, but if fans behave like that they make documentaries about us and call us englands shame etc, the wearing of club kits i thought was a bit off, there was minimal effort on Saturday i'm not asking for miracles im just asking to try hard when playing on the clubs 25th anniversary back where we belong.

instead i had to walk back to the station with a load of cunts from the south coast chanting about 1-0 on your special day, charltons a shithole i want to go home, i could go on.
  • Options

Yes.

If i'd paid good money to sit in what I assume is first class i'd be pretty pissed off with them.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Yes.

its not offence, but if fans behave like that they make documentaries about us and call us englands shame etc, the wearing of club kits i thought was a bit off, there was minimal effort on Saturday i'm not asking for miracles im just asking to try hard when playing on the clubs 25th anniversary back where we belong.

instead i had to walk back to the station with a load of cunts from the south coast chanting about 1-0 on your special day, charltons a shithole i want to go home, i could go on.
    I think you are over reacting a bit, this team i think can not be accused of not trying on Saturday or any other game this season. They lost and still went on a pre arranged Xmas party which from what I can see seemed like a team full of togetherness which is pleasing.

The sang on a train while drinking beer, i think you me and a large majority on here have done on a way back from a away game and have done so without causing any problems.

• Options

Yes.

Think you've nailed it....
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I'm old school from an era when any actions outside the work place likely to bring the organisation into disrepute would have been strong grounds for dismissal as recently as the early naughties. Now I'm not going to be hypocritical because we've all let our hair down from time to time and there but for the grace of god went I. Fortunately social media wasn't anywhere near as powerful as it is today. However I certainly didn't advertise who I worked for in my down time. Jackson is no longer just one of the lads, he has a foot in the management camp these days and has to act more responsibly especially on public transport.

Just as an aside I noticed at least one of the teams in yesterday's North West derbies turned up for work suited and booted which I like as it instills a sense of pride in representing your club and creates a 'dress good feel good' factor'. In fact many old school managers like Cloughie and Fergie insisted upon this on match days. Didn't Slade reintroduce this as well as the table cloths in his short tenure? I'm not saying don't dress down after work on a night out but don't wear club gear ffs. Times have changed I grant you but not always for the better as you would fully expect an old fart to say :wink:
  • Options

Yes.

I think you are over reacting a bit, this team i think can not be accused of not trying on Saturday or any other game this season. They lost and still went on a pre arranged Xmas party which from what I can see seemed like a team full of togetherness which is pleasing.

The sang on a train while drinking beer, i think you me and a large majority on here have done on a way back from a away game and have done so without causing any problems.

yes i have done, the issue isn't really the singing on the train, its more its in club kits, put on Instagram, my opinion is we wasn't very good on Saturday and haven't been very good for a while. im not anti charlton im being realistic.

jacko isnt just a player he attends fan meetings and is management.

edit i think the general pissed off from the fans is the weeks before shenanigans, could of had a trip to wembley which we fucked up so we could concentrate on being turned over from pompey a week later.
    Agree with you messing out on Wembley typical Charlton. lets hope we can pick up as i am now otherwise i am fearful we will now start to fade away.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Yes.

yes i have done, the issue isn't really the singing on the train, its more its in club kits, put on Instagram, my opinion is we wasn't very good on Saturday and haven't been very good for a while. im not anti charlton im being realistic.

edit i think the general pissed off from the fans is the weeks before shenanigans, could of had a trip to wembley which we fucked up so we could concentrate on being turned over from pompey a week later.
    Agree with you messing out on Wembley typical Charlton. lets hope we can pick up as i am now otherwise i am fearful we will now start to fade away.
    see you next away game for a sing song on the train back and to neck a few nelsons :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes.

see you next away game for a sing song on the train back and to neck a few nelsons :wink:
    I will be the one wearing a club tracksuit.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Yes.

ive got a bit of a derby so ill be karl and chant lads lads lads down the train
  • Options

Yes.

I’ll be dressed as Uncle Albert
  • Options
    DA9 said:

No doubt organised weeks ago, just crass timing putting it on social media, no crime committed

Let's just wait and see what comes out in the press over the next few days before jumping to a conclusion! :-)
  • Options
    AFKA, that is spot on mate, agree entirely.
  • Options
    We will lose at Blackburn Saturday and excuse will be Train lag.
  • Options

Surprisingly, I was more annoyed by this than I thought I would be. Well, disappointed rather than annoyed. And this is coming from someone that places high value on the benefits of team bonding.
    These are my reasons,

- Quite simply this was our club’s most important fixture in the 17/18 calendar. So much so that the club had asked the EFL for this fixture for this date. Huge emphasis was being put on it, it should have been the players (without doubt the most important people on Saturday) SOLE focus for that day.
    - If you ask any ex pro, they will tell you that in the run up to these away joliies, it dominates everything. The banter, talk about outfits, organising the whip or challenges, room shares, travel details, what VIP bookings where etc. This would have been the talk of the dressing room in the days leading up to Saturday, no doubt about it and I’m pretty sure the thing the players were most thinking about / looking forward to when they woke up Saturday morning.
    - With trains already booked so soon after the game, what would have been on the players’ minds if the ko had been delayed half hour by crowd congestion? Are they thinking about the game or clock watching and getting anxious?
    - It was clearly a quick shower and out the door. What if the manager wanted to bring up a few things after the game? Even if he did, none of them would have been concentrating and just thinking hurry up.
    - Why pretty much the furthest point in the country? I’m not up on my sports science but recovery is apparently meant to be key and we are being told last week that the EFL has to change and the fixture list is a joke. 4hrs sitting on a train there, a day or so of boozing and then a 4rh train back isn’t telling me you are looking after your body in the best way at a crucial point in the season. We live in the biggest city / nightclub network in the country where they easily could have had a discreet solid night out without the agg of traipsing the whole length of the country. End of Season is for away jollies.
    - The manager when ever an opportunity presents itself will give tub-thumping speeches about providing the right platform for players, and in turn players representing the people, giving 110% for the cause, being professional and representing yourselves in right way etc. Flooding social media with what looks like cup winning celebrations 2hrs after a real disappointing defeat in a big game was going to do nothing but wind people up

Perhaps I am being miserable, so please feel free to disagree / pick holes with any of those points

Fully agree with this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    you could of flown quicker, or as others say go London we have a lot of clubs here, only difference is in Newcastle they will get minor celebrity treatment up London they wont.
  • Options
    The timing and destination was a very poor choice especially with the dinner last night which should have been mandatory for the players to attend.

No issues with them having a piss up but a night out in Manchester next week would surely have been a better choice.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Spot on @AFKABartram and far more eloquent than my rants.

Had we not been knocked out the cup, flying high in the league with consistent results and not requiring the optimal clean recovery time post Saturday and pre Blackburn I would not have an issue with any of it. They could have been doing lines off strippers navels in the quiet carriage whilst streaming it on Facebook live for all I'd care if they were a team of winners.

The cup exit, league table and Saturdays loss and immediate apparent lack of bother about it a couple of hours later appears they are not.
  • Options
    I don't begrudge them a night out and i'm not particularly bothered by it, but i have to say i do agree with a lot of what AFKA said.

Does seem like pretty poor planning though. Surely would've made more sense to go out in Newcastle after next weeks game when they're already up north anyway.
  • Options

Yes.

They should have done all this without the club uniform on.

I suppose their behaviour reminded you of the journey back from Bradford!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Footballer Christmas parties are always controversial, they have to be booked in advance, so there's always the chance that they will follow a poor result. We were poor on Saturday, but it's unfair to suggest the team (as a whole) weren't trying. A bit odd to do it in such a public manner though, I wonder if the other passengers thought it was a carriage full of Charlton supporters!

Yes.

If i'd paid good money to sit in what I assume is first class i'd be pretty pissed off with them.
    There were in standard class. Hopefully not the quiet coach :smile:
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Still haven’t had an answer as to why they chose Newcastle.....it’s pretty bizarre, to say the least!
    If they had hired their own plane say from LCA it would have made more sense but 4 hours stuck on a train is a bit weird if you ask me.
  • Options
    tbh i think by the time they get to an airport it would be about the same, does seem mad to do after a home game and especially this fixture. all hanging out there asses for the 25th anniversary dinner isn't a great look is it.
  • Options
    I said it further up the thread, crass timing and stupid to post on social media, if your firm has a bad day at the office, loses money on a deal, doesn’t hit a sales target etc, do you expect your xmas bash to be cancelled?