Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options

errrr don't think I've ever seen anyone staring less at anyone.
    Why post utter bollocks?
    Oh wait, yes, I understand, this is the thread for nonsense.

I think it is the person with the camera supposed to be doing the staring.
    Anyway there it is, one of the lead characters in the Drama of this thread, Mr Irish O'Border.
    (I still haven't got his autograph!)
  • Options
    edited April 2018

WCA nice to know you think your family will prosper despite Brexit though I'm struggling to imagine how. Inherited wealth? So why come on this forum and post almost entirely on this thread, in support of Brexit, based on the premise that "I'm alright Jack" when 90% of the rest of us will be fcukd?

If you weren't such a bitter little man I might satisfy you with a response, but after two posts with thinly veiled digs at me, I don't think I'll bother.

What a horrible thread this is.

Sorry but I'm just trying to get some jusification from Brexiteers as to why we were tricked into voting for financial ruin. Precious little from you so far despite multiple posts. At least you don't veil your digs, thinly or otherwise.
    What financial ruin, exactly?
    Has it happened yet?
    No
    ~Why not wait till it happens then you might have some shred of plausability?
    That's what we should always do right? If we think a car is going to crash we should wait until we hit the wall before applying the brakes?
    ~No, you are right.
    What we should do is, in a grown up kind of way, is to scream 'agh I've been crippled by a terrible car crash' before it has happened.
    You know, just to warn people about something you know will happen.
    Even though it hasn't yet.

Jeez.

PS FYI IMO The sky is going to fall on our heads. Run for the hills!
    That's not what anybody is suggesting. Brexiteers seem to insist the only 2 options are full throttle or full reverse. What everybody else is saying is maybe we should study the map in a bit more detail, steer around any obstacles we can see and maybe slow down when road conditions aren't perfect.

But by all means, keep supporting hurtling down the road at 100mph, and keep accusing us of whining or scare mongering when we suggest maybe we should allow down a bit and avoid the slow moving lorry in our lane.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

WCA nice to know you think your family will prosper despite Brexit though I'm struggling to imagine how. Inherited wealth? So why come on this forum and post almost entirely on this thread, in support of Brexit, based on the premise that "I'm alright Jack" when 90% of the rest of us will be fcukd?

If you weren't such a bitter little man I might satisfy you with a response, but after two posts with thinly veiled digs at me, I don't think I'll bother.

Sorry but I'm just trying to get some jusification from Brexiteers as to why we were tricked into voting for financial ruin. Precious little from you so far despite multiple posts. At least you don't veil your digs, thinly or otherwise.
    Has it happened yet?
    No
    I don't think 'plausability' was the word you were looking for, because financial ruin is entirely plausible given that our £240bn EU annual exports will be subject to WTO tarriffs as will imports from Europe making cost of living immediately dearer. Estimates of negotiating new trade deals are about 10 years. The Japanese for one have already stopped investing in UK and banks are relocating staff. This will snowball after Brexit. The thought that the economy may not tank after Brexit, now that is truly implausible.
  • Options

Has it happened yet?
    No
    I don't think 'plausability' was the word you were looking for, because financial ruin is entirely plausible given that our £240bn EU annual exports will be subject to WTO tarriffs as will imports from Europe making cost of living immediately dearer. Estimates of negotiating new trade deals are about 10 years. The Japanese for one have already stopped investing in UK and banks are relocating staff. This will snowball after Brexit. The thought that the economy may not tank after Brexit, now that is truly implausible.
    This is simply untrue.
    Japan have not stopped investing in the UK. Investment has been reduced.
    Which has happened many times over the years
    They have warned that steps need to be taken.
    eg
    Japan warns Theresa May its giant firms will quit UK if botched Brexit makes it 'unprofitable' to stay

Quite a different situation to your sky falling in statement of lies.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    www.nao.org.uk/report/the-adult-social-care-workforce-in-england/#foobox-1/17/Adult-social-care-workforce-in-England-Figure-18.png

I can't get this to stick as an image but the graph shows that the number of EU nurses registering to work in England has dropped from 1250 in the month before the referendum to 50 per month now. At the time we had an average vacancy rate for nurses of around 12.5% but significantly higher in London and the South East. Those two regions have had higher rates of employing EU nationals.

Good job the government took away bursaries for student nurses.

• Options

Has it happened yet?
    No
    That's what we should always do right? If we think a car is going to crash we should wait until we hit the wall before applying the brakes?
    ~No, you are right.
    What we should do is, in a grown up kind of way, is to scream 'agh I've been crippled by a terrible car crash' before it has happened.

Jeez.

That's not what anybody is suggesting. Brexiteers seem to insist the only 2 options are full throttle or full reverse. What everybody else is saying is maybe we should study the map in a bit more detail, steer around any obstacles we can see and maybe slow down when road conditions aren't perfect.

But by all means, keep supporting hurtling down the road at 100mph, and keep accusing us of whining or scare mongering when we suggest maybe we should allow down a bit and avoid the slow moving lorry in our lane.
    Woah. Did anyone spot the goalposts being moved there?
    1. I'm not a Brexiteer and voted remain.
    2. Who has suggested 2 options or 100mph except in your mind?
    3. Who has suggested financial ruin? Clue = you.
    You do realise (Leuth too) that you brought up the ridiculous car crash analogy?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Why post utter bollocks?

Anyway there it is, one of the lead characters in the Drama of this thread, Mr Irish O'Border.
    So it is not, in fact a photo of someone staring at someone else.
    Not in any reality.

but carry on with the supposed to be's
  • Options
    edited April 2018

www.nao.org.uk/report/the-adult-social-care-workforce-in-england/#foobox-1/17/Adult-social-care-workforce-in-England-Figure-18.png

I can't get this to stick as an image but the graph shows that the number of EU nurses registering to work in England has dropped from 1250 in the month before the referendum to 50 per month now. At the time we had an average vacancy rate for nurses of around 12.5% but significantly higher in London and the South East. Those two regions have had higher rates of employing EU nationals.

Figures from the university admissions service Ucas revealed 2017 saw the second highest number of trainees accepted ever - 28,620 - however there was an 18 per cent drop in the applications from 18 and 19-year-olds in England.

Oh, and
    How Labour broke the NHS

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/03/how-labour-broke-nhs-and-why-labour-must-fix-it

not that any of the usual crew will read anything negative to saint Tony
  • Options

Has it happened yet?
    No
    ~No, you are right.

Jeez.

You do realise (Leuth too) that you brought up the ridiculous car crash analogy?
    Well said they don't like it up em...
  • Options

Indeed as are the majority answering you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Has it happened yet?
    No
    This is simply untrue.
    eg
    Japan warns Theresa May its giant firms will quit UK if botched Brexit makes it 'unprofitable' to stay

The Japanese Ambassador begs to differ
    Huge Japanese firms with big plants in the UK – such as Nissan and Toyota, who sell most of their British-made cars into the EU – are, he says, treading water, biding their time before deciding whether to relocate part or all of their businesses, so they can continue to be based inside the single market after March 2019. He tries not to sound alarming, but is clear about the threat to UK jobs. “They are currently considering and thinking and watching very closely what they need to do. That is why they are not investing additionally today.
  • Options

Has it happened yet?
    No
    ~No, you are right.

Jeez.

1. I apologise if I misrepresented you

2. Brexiters, frequently, any attempt to adjust course or minimise damage is touted as treason against "the will of the people". I expect that sort of hyperbole from the mail and express, but I see it daily on social media and this very thread

3. I've never suggested financial ruin as you put it, in fact I've never suggested anything. I've asserted repeatedly that we will be worse off after brexit, that we will be a lot worse off if May and co don't do a decent job (here's a hint, they're doing abysmally so far), and pretty much every economist and financial expert in the world agrees with me, as do the majority of economic figures since the referendum.

We need May and co. to actually do their job and work in the best interests of the UK. That may lose them votes, or members of their party, but that is not our problem. Since the idea of a referendum was first mooted the Tories have put party above country at every turn, yet when anybody tries to get them to do their actual job, the tory press jump all over it like they're being forced to betray some mythical ideal.

After 2 years of this crap and 2 years of all the signs pointing to brexit being a disaster I'm getting fed up of this shit. If brexit is to be the huge success those ideologically invested in it say it will we need our leaders to do a much better job, and the first step on that is not getting their friends in the press to try and silence any dissenting voice.
  • Options

Has it happened yet?
    No
    This is simply untrue.
    eg

Huge Japanese firms with big plants in the UK – such as Nissan and Toyota, who sell most of their British-made cars into the EU – are, he says, treading water, biding their time before deciding whether to relocate part or all of their businesses, so they can continue to be based inside the single market after March 2019. He tries not to sound alarming, but is clear about the threat to UK jobs. “They are currently considering and thinking and watching very closely what they need to do. That is why they are not investing additionally today.

Has it happened yet?
    No
    This is simply untrue.
    eg

you said this
    ''The Japanese for one have already stopped investing in UK''
    Which is plainly rubbish.
  • Options

Has it happened yet?
    No
    ~No, you are right.

Jeez.

3. I've never suggested financial ruin as you put it, in fact I've never suggested
    Yes, you said
    ''Sorry but I'm just trying to get some jusification from Brexiteers as to why we were tricked into voting for financial ruin.''
  • Options

Has it happened yet?
    No
    This is simply untrue.
    eg

Has it happened yet?
    No
    This is simply untrue.
    eg

you said this
    Go mate go.. You are knocking them all over
  • Options

Has it happened yet?
    No
    This is simply untrue.
    eg

Didn’t Nissan get some guarantee off the government that if it goes tits up they’ll continue to be looked after, in return for extending/building on their plant and production a year or so back?

In actual fact I think brexit could lead to all out nationalisation if private companies up and leave. Trains could have 7 drivers simultaneously in my vision of Britain post Brexit :smiley:

• Options

Figures from the university admissions service Ucas revealed 2017 saw the second highest number of trainees accepted ever - 28,620 - however there was an 18 per cent drop in the applications from 18 and 19-year-olds in England.

Oh, and
    How Labour broke the NHS

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/03/how-labour-broke-nhs-and-why-labour-must-fix-it

Oh you are on one tonight @A-R-T-H-U-R , I think you will find that most of the 'usual crew' have little time for Tony (sainted or otherwise). Your quote from UCAS only shows part of the picture though, almost like you are trying to prove a point by omitting some facts which can be read here https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nhs-nurse-bursary-england-number-first-year-support-fees-ucas-jeremy-hunt-rcn-a8091131.html .

Anyway not sure that your point responds to the drop in EU nationals working as nurses which in the last year would account for 14,000+ already trained staff entering the system,

I find this surprising as you and I are the only straight down the middle honest to goodness show all sides kind of people on here, according to you. The article was too boring to read all the way through but if you cared to look through previous posts of mine you will see that I support reforming the NHS but in ways other than starving it of cash by fucking up Social Care, demoralising the staff, wasting money by constant top down reform and selling out to health profiteers who are no better than the Rentiers.

I know we have our joke about being fair and even handed but I rarely see that in your posts. Is it possible that you are not?
  • Options

Has it happened yet?
    No
    This is simply untrue.
    eg

Has it happened yet?
    No
    This is simply untrue.
    eg

you said this
    Kicked over his own wicket I believe, new night watchman needed.
  • Options

Has it happened yet?
    No
    This is simply untrue.
    eg

Oh, and
    How Labour broke the NHS

Oh you are on one tonight @A-R-T-H-U-R , I think you will find that most of the 'usual crew' have little time for Tony (sainted or otherwise). Your quote from UCAS only shows part of the picture though, almost like you are trying to prove a point by omitting some facts which can be read here https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nhs-nurse-bursary-england-number-first-year-support-fees-ucas-jeremy-hunt-rcn-a8091131.html .

Anyway not sure that your point responds to the drop in EU nationals working as nurses which in the last year would account for 14,000+ already trained staff entering the system,

I find this surprising as you and I are the only straight down the middle honest to goodness show all sides kind of people on here, according to you. The article was too boring to read all the way through but if you cared to look through previous posts of mine you will see that I support reforming the NHS but in ways other than starving it of cash by fucking up Social Care, demoralising the staff, wasting money by constant top down reform and selling out to health profiteers who are no better than the Rentiers.

I know we have our joke about being fair and even handed but I rarely see that in your posts. Is it possible that you are not?
    From the facts exposed, Only one of us is being biased.
    28,620 trainees.
    I'll leave it to you who that might be.
  • Options

Has it happened yet?
    No
    This is simply untrue.
    eg

Has it happened yet?
    No
    This is simply untrue.
    eg

you said this
    Kicked over his own wicket I believe, new night watchman needed.
    Clearly not an umpire of any worth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    36,000+ vacancies
    Not the promised 10,000 increase in student nurses
    14,000+ experienced staff not coming into the system
    Lowering of entry standards

Just some of the facts you chose not to mention whilst I acknowledged your one fact.

As you say only one of us being biased.
  • Options

36,000+ vacancies

Just some of the facts you chose not to mention whilst I acknowledged your one fact.

Nice side tracking.
    But, sticking to the post I was replying to, it still appears to be you.

Sometimes, it's good just to accept it.
  • Options

Has it happened yet?
    No
    This is simply untrue.
    eg

Has it happened yet?
    No
    This is simply untrue.
    eg

you said this
    "Well said Sue..." :lol:
  • Options

seth plum said:

Why post utter bollocks?

So it is not, in fact a photo of someone staring at someone else.
    Not in any reality.

but carry on with the supposed to be's
    And there was me thinking that the photograph (a generic media shot for the newspapers) was posted by a parody Twitter account (which I am sure @A-R-T-H-U-R knows, given his sterling work on another thread) purporting to be the border in Ireland, which is largely invisible - so what was staring at David Davis was the ground he was looking at....

In fairness, though, I do find it amusing, most of the time (and, even in jest, it makes more sense than Daniel Hannan).
    Indeed - a whoosh moment if ever I saw one...
  • Options

36,000+ vacancies

Nice side tracking.

Beyond parody...
  • Options
    edited April 2018

36,000+ vacancies

Nice side tracking.

Beyond parody...
    Just adding a little balance, if that's ok.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    No idea what that means Art, I think you should leave humour to others. The point I was making is that someone who has bought up Labour immigration policy and the NHS under Tony Blair in the past 24 hours might be on slightly dodgy ground accusing others of sidetracking...

Is it only bringing in some context when you do it, but sidetracking when others do?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I think heavy bureaucracy and Britain's high taxation of almost everything under the sun scares a lot more countries from investing in Britain than BREXIT does.

Most investors outside Britain would rather invest in a non-EU Britain with May at the top than a Britain led by Corbyn within the EU, and rightly so. Proposals like wanting to tax unoccupied mansions extra or tax social media companies to combat "extremism" (see link below,) send a signal that no profits are safe in Britain. And when that signal is sent, investors wisely look elsewhere, no matter whether you are in a union or not.

Singapore is not within anything like the EU, is a tiny island, surrounded by economic giants, was a backwater until half a century ago, and they are the best run economy on Earth, possibly. Being part of some "union" would not help them at all. The economy is great in Singapore because of their economic principles, not because they are part of some greater political or economic whole. To think Britain needs to be part of the EU to succeed seems like a serious case of lack of confidence on behalf of its people, given its history, economy and social influence.

The fact the rest of the EU wants to make it so hard for Britain to leave tells you who is more worried about who is leaving whom.

Already most of the immediate post-BREXIT predictions of plummeting stocks and plummeting currency and companies fleeing en masse have proven to be false. Who is to say those who got those predictions wrong will suddenly be right about the long-term predictions? Even if there is an adjustment period upon leaving, any significant drops would just lead to bargains to be had and money would eventually come back in, assuming Britain does not cut its own throat with regulations, excess taxes and extreme socialist-anti-semites at the helm.

Plus, given the direction governments are going in other EU countries like Hungary and Poland and the rise of the far-right in several other countries, getting out now might save a lot of grief.... later. A nice, stable island economy sounds pretty good if the EU starts fraying at the seams down the line. There is an assumption that the EU is going to live happily ever after in the anti-BREXIT argument. Ain't necessarily so.

I believe, as I do about most countries, your future is in your hands, and will rise or fall on how your country is run, not the phantom safety of the collective.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/02/uk-eyeing-extremism-tax-on-social-media-giants/
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!