Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    tom_k said:
    I started running a few years ago using the couch to 5k app. Managed that and was hooked and built by distance's up to 10k on average. Last year I ran 100k over a month in June.

But! Doing the couch to 5k, the advice was to run slow, so it feels like you could go faster but don't. Since then I have always run slow on purpose and a 5k takes me around 30-35 mins. !0k in an hour.

I am 38 and 6 foot 1 and 13 stone so quite fit. Shall I just push myself to go faster and if so how?

I haven't run since August last year but did a slow run using the Nike app first guided run yesterday and felt good but i'd really like to get faster!

Has anyone got any tips for me how to accomplish that?
    I think interval training is the key to running a faster 5k time i.e. running a lot faster for short periods, having a rest and then repeating. I would look into that but I think others in this thread are better placed to give advice.

I would get back into the rhythm of regular 5ks before starting. Personally I find my fitness rapidly drops off if I stop running for a week or 2.

Agree with AFKA though, I get a lot more out of running when I'm enjoying it and I focus more on that than anything else now. Getting out the door is the most important thing for me!
  • Options
    Resume running regularly first, give your tendons, bones and ligaments a chance to get used to the impacts again - one of the most common ways to get injured is to jump back in and go too fast too quickly, especially for the annoyingly persistent injuries like achilles tendinopathy

Once your legs start getting used to it again, slowly add in intervals, hill runs etc etc. It really doesn't take a significant volume of speed work at that mileage to start seeing times drop, even if only 20% of your mileage is at a higher pace you will get improvements from it
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    tom_k said:
    I started running a few years ago using the couch to 5k app. Managed that and was hooked and built by distance's up to 10k on average. Last year I ran 100k over a month in June.

But! Doing the couch to 5k, the advice was to run slow, so it feels like you could go faster but don't. Since then I have always run slow on purpose and a 5k takes me around 30-35 mins. !0k in an hour.

I am 38 and 6 foot 1 and 13 stone so quite fit. Shall I just push myself to go faster and if so how?

I haven't run since August last year but did a slow run using the Nike app first guided run yesterday and felt good but i'd really like to get faster!

My story is pretty similar to this, I would say use an app (like the Nike one) that tells you you're pace per km, if you're usually running at about 6mins per km, aim for 5.55 and try to maintain it. If you have the distance in your legs, I'd imagine it wouldn't be to hard to increase the pace slowly. There is also a run on the Nike app that does 5x4min intervals at a 5k pace. Doing that improved my times too.

Take it easy though and don't get downhearted if it's not quick to improve, better doing slower runs than nothing.

I did couch to 5k last September and now doing 20-25km a week, sub 25min for 5k and about 53mins for 10k. It can be done!

Edit: didn't see you haven't run since August. I echo the point about getting back into it slowly, get the distance back in your legs. I'm the same age as you and find fitness a lot easier to lose than gain. 
  • Options
    @Super_Eddie_Youds @WattsTheMatter @Leeds_Addick @AFKABartram
    Thank you this is really great advice, I'll build up slowly to a few 5k's and look at increasing the pace a bit.

I must say my most enjoyable runs are when I have purposely run as slow as possible but would be great to have another option!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    tom_k said:

We're quite similar in build and times albeit I've got a few years on you. Firstly, being able to sustain a sub-30 5k/sub hour 10k (or thereabouts) doesn't make you slow. If you were to look at the results of the big participation 10k's, that's a perfectly respectable time.

You're capable of doing something the majority of the population won't be. So turn that around and starting thinking about how you can get even faster rather than stop being slow.

As to how to do that, there's lots of good advice on here or the running thread already and plenty of apps and resources online.

For me, because I'm an old git, I'd simply focus on running slightly further at your normal pace to build the endurance but mixing it up with shorter than 5k sessions but including fast reps, fartleks, hills, etc. to increase your cadence and natural speed.

Given the info in your post I can't see it taking very long at all to start seeing your 5k times coming down. 
  • Options
    Thank you @Bournemouth Addick
  • Options
    My 'running' has been so erratic during lockdown that I feel like I'm right back at the beginning now..only really started 2.5 years ago by heading along to Parkrun to see what all the fuss was about and found out that I loved the atmosphere/experience, even if I didn't enjoy the running so much! Kept at it and got my 5km down to 23.5 mins (I was 49 at the time, so was well chuffed with that) but then had a double inguinal hernia op (don't think it was caused by the running, but don't really know...) which meant a few months off and now, over a year later, pain from the there can flare up at any time after running and cripple me for a couple of days/up to a week...  Am currently at over 2 weeks since last 'run' (time had fallen to about 28/29 mins for a 5km) and am now at the 'really can't be bothered to get out' phase as am worried about the pain...  (surgeon told me to take pain killers and crack on and that with the procedure I'd had - double mesh - the hernias weren't going to happen again...). Had just started doing some longer distance (up to 10 mile) trail runs too, which I bloomin' loved...  So....anyone else running after a hernia op and any tips for getting motivated again would be greatly appreciated... Cheers
  • Options
    I've decided that my body needs a rest, I've had chronic foot pain for a couple of months which flares up every now and then, and a pain in my knee which when I bend it feels like the knee is on fire. This is now having knock-on effects on how I run, so I'm over compensating and causing myself hip pain. Time to have a rest, get the bike back out and do some decent rides 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I also look back and think I've done pretty well for someone who couldn't really run for a bus a while ago, still amazed I can comfortably run a sub hour 10K, so not to worried about getting the fitness back especially if I can get riding again 
  • Options
    Just  to add, we do have a Lifers club on Strava if any posters are interested. It’s a bit dominated by those two wheeled Lycra weirdos, so would be good to get a few more joggers  involved. 

https://www.strava.com/clubs/charltonlife
    Nice one @AFKABartram. Just joined
  • Options
    Something worth mentioning for those who’s run times might of plateaued.

Been running 5ks regularly since Christmas due to gym closures and Sunday league being paused.  But stopped a couple weeks back due to football starting up again, yesterday I got my fastest 5k of 2021 (22:35), so if you have hit a plateau I suggest giving yourself a rest, or even try something different, then go back to running, you’ll be surprised, sometimes your body needs a rest from a particular exercise!
  • Options
    Great time @BR7_addick

• Options
    This is the list of all parkruns which have landowner permission to restart. It's not very long at the moment https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2021/04/30/current-landowner-permissions/
  • Options
    rina said:
    This is the list of all parkruns which have landowner permission to restart. It's not very long at the moment https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2021/04/30/current-landowner-permissions/
    I don't think it's complete - Hilly Fields and Catford both have permission (presumably so does Beckenham Place Park as the third Lewisham borough one). The parkrun Twitter account is tweeting each one as it comes in.
  • Options
    I marshalled at the first Hilly Fields juniors last Sunday - just 4-10s for now, all went very well indeed.  My own running's ground to a halt again, but looking forward to giving it a go again. If those kids can do 2k... 

• Options
    I took advantage of lockdown last year and built my running up again and was really enjoying 4 runs a week of various distances from 5k to 10m. Then came a short holiday in north Devon where short but intense morning hill sessions (brutal hills) did for my achilles in a big way - 6 months on and I'm taking very gentle (and very flat) steps back into running which I need as much for the mind as the body. I'm looking forward to that runner's high with any luck later this summer - who, knows, maybe even a parkrun or two! Using my own form of Couch to 5k to try and get there.

Going back to the earlier post from tom_k I would suggest a variation of the Couch to 5k programme as a good way to build speed up. Instead of walk/run sessions I would suggest running the 'walk' parts at your normal, slower, pace and upping the tempo for the 'run' parts. You can vary this to suit but it will give a good framework to gradually build up to consistently running at the speed you are aiming for. If you use the audio from the App it will also save keep checking your watch. Good luck!
  • Options
    Ashers said:
    I took advantage of lockdown last year and built my running up again and was really enjoying 4 runs a week of various distances from 5k to 10m. Then came a short holiday in north Devon where short but intense morning hill sessions (brutal hills) did for my achilles in a big way - 6 months on and I'm taking very gentle (and very flat) steps back into running which I need as much for the mind as the body. I'm looking forward to that runner's high with any luck later this summer - who, knows, maybe even a parkrun or two! Using my own form of Couch to 5k to try and get there.

Going back to the earlier post from tom_k I would suggest a variation of the Couch to 5k programme as a good way to build speed up. Instead of walk/run sessions I would suggest running the 'walk' parts at your normal, slower, pace and upping the tempo for the 'run' parts. You can vary this to suit but it will give a good framework to gradually build up to consistently running at the speed you are aiming for. If you use the audio from the App it will also save keep checking your watch. Good luck!
    I was just wondering if that would be a good way to build up speed. Thank you and I hope you Achilles heals quickly!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Few dates:

11 Apr - Intended return of Junior Parkrun
    5 Jun - Intended return of Parkrun
    22 Aug - Rescheduled date for Vitality Big Half
    Not particularly looking forward now to the Big Half in August.

I have come to realise that I much prefer cold weather running than anything warm, and late August has got the threat of heat all over it!
    Yeah I can't say I'm looking forward to that either. Also general London marathon training in the summer months isn't going to be great. Never done proper distance training during the summer.

For anyone else with a place in the Big Half - reminder that 4pm tomorrow is the cut-off time to ask for a refund or deferral to the 2022 event.
  • Options
    rina said:
    I don't think it's complete - Hilly Fields and Catford both have permission (presumably so does Beckenham Place Park as the third Lewisham borough one). The parkrun Twitter account is tweeting each one as it comes in.
    Lewisham Council tweeted on Friday that they haven't given Hilly Fields and Catford permission to return, and even then not until after 21 June (despite what Parkrun themselves said), so the whole thing seems a bit of a mess: 

Looking increasingly like 5 June restart won't happen, and that's before any worries about the new virus variant: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/14/parkrun-return-could-be-delayed-indefinitely-over-local-authority-issues

• Options
    Greenwich and Bexley boroughs have both now given the go ahead for Parkrun to resume at Avery Hill, Danson and Footscray Meadows 
  • Options
    Greenwich and Bexley boroughs have both now given the go ahead for Parkrun to resume at Avery Hill, Danson and Footscray Meadows 
    Is that from the 5th June or the new date?
  • Options
    new date 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57235948 -  Covid: Councils urged to allow England Parkrun events to resume
  • Options
    Signed up for a charity 10k last week, can currently manage 2.5k in 15 mins with walk break so will be starting one of those sofa to 10k things today. Any tips are more than welcome !
  • Options
    I've signed up to run the London marathon in October, raising money for the community trust.

Started a training plan last week and going well so far but the heat is a bit of an issue so god knows what it'll be like through July and August.

Link to my fundraising if anyone feels generous: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/BenLinden
  • Options
    My kids did the junior parkrun on Sunday and it was good to be back. Didn't realise they had changed their initial guidance and parents were able to run as well. Not that I was particularly needed but think I'd sooner pootle around for 2k than stand there sideeyeing competitive annoying parents and "uncle dads" dragging a knackered toddler