Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Only mad dogs and Charlton fans go running in the midday sun.

Have run just once in last seven weeks, life getting too much in the way, too much work and lost my motivation. Made myself go out at lunchtime today and could manage just two slow miles. Yes it was really hot but disappointing how much I regress after a break. Keep going back to square one.

Meant to be doing a half marathon in two months and can’t see I’m going to be able to get up to the distance sadly 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Training this time of year for anything in the future is a right bastard - When I used to train more seriously I'd always take a break in the summer months as found it too brutal and would sap at my motivation.

Had no choice when they moved the London Marathon to October last year and tried to get out primarily early in the mornings or later in the evenings when its a lot cooler but its easier said than done when life gets in the way.

The cancellation of the public one last October (around August time) killed my motivation as well and have only been out running a grand total of three times since, two of which have been recently as know I need to start getting into some kind of shape ahead of training for the 2022 Marathon which I moved myself too.

Of course I too have stupidly tried to get back into it this time of the year so come the winter I have some sort of progress and its proving a struggle - All the best with attempting to get up to Half-Marathon distance AFKA!!

Its a shame that Parkrun keeps getting delayed as was finding it a good motivational tool.

Will people on here be doing those the moment they're back (provided you've been vaccinated) or will you all have a degree of caution still?
  • Options
    Anyone else entered in the standard chartered 5k?  20th July, glad they can get it going again.
  • Options
    I start my marathon training programme for London on the 28th and I'm way off the pace at the moment due to recurring niggles. Trying to do distance training in this heat is going to be no fun whatsoever
  • Options
    Been brutal last couple of weeks, about 2 mins slower over 5k, and feel like i have nothing at all left at the end. Started a new job, so I've definitely been running less, but not that much less. Definitely finding it demotivating.
  • Options
    I'm into week 4 of a 16 week marathon training programme so I started a couple of weeks early. Planning to repeat 2 of the weeks around half way through.

Finding the training a lot easier when I'm focussed on being out for a set amount of time. If I'm out for 50 minutes I'll do a 10k but if I was focussed on doing a 10k I'd probably be tired and want to come home after 5 or 6k.

The miles definitely caught up with me last week though, really felt the difference in my legs from the week before. 
  • Options
    Contrary to what others have said, I have noticed a speed up since the warmer weather arrived, although do I try to get out before 8am.
  • Options
    The best thing to do in these conditions is keep your eyes away from the time and keep it on your Heart-Rate (if you've got a good enough watch)... Long Distance isnt about completing every training run as quickly as possible but primarily about building up your endurance.

During the summer months you'll naturally run slower but if you can last the distance that you're running then you'll make your life easier when you come to the colder months as your body should be able to handle it better.
  • Options
    The best thing to do in these conditions is keep your eyes away from the time and keep it on your Heart-Rate (if you've got a good enough watch)... Long Distance isnt about completing every training run as quickly as possible but primarily about building up your endurance.

During the summer months you'll naturally run slower but if you can last the distance that you're running then you'll make your life easier when you come to the colder months as your body should be able to handle it better.
    I find this to be true. Plot a route and follow it, focus on breathing, stride and as you say heart rate, especially if it's particularly hot. 
  • Options
    I'm upto 7k now, from 1.5k 4 weeks ago. I still need to walk for 30 seconds or so every k, but I'm definitely improving. Looking forward to this next 2 weeks of rain so that I can try and run further. My Vo2 is also improving, so I'm managing to shift more calories too with each outing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I've not been able to run for several months now and I hate it. Been getting chronic pain during and after the run where I had a double inguinal hernia op 18 months ago or so...got so bad (as I persisted in 'trying to run it off'/taking a couple of pain killers) that I couldn't actually move for a week after the last run...now waiting for an MRI appt to have a look and tell me what's going on... Am able to get on my bike, but any impact sport (running & football being the only two I do.....or did) and I'm in agony.. Very, very depressing, as I was really getting in to it and enjoying it...now I'm just getting fat.
  • Options
    I've not been able to run for several months now and I hate it. Been getting chronic pain during and after the run where I had a double inguinal hernia op 18 months ago or so...got so bad (as I persisted in 'trying to run it off'/taking a couple of pain killers) that I couldn't actually move for a week after the last run...now waiting for an MRI appt to have a look and tell me what's going on... Am able to get on my bike, but any impact sport (running & football being the only two I do.....or did) and I'm in agony.. Very, very depressing, as I was really getting in to it and enjoying it...now I'm just getting fat.
    Sound very similar to what I had mate.  I was examined under ultrasound by the old England team doc at Euro 2016...Dr Ian Beasley at the London Independent at Stepney Green.  He said I definitely had a double hernia.  He gave me the name of a surgeon to see at Blackheath, confirmed as the best in the business by my former bro-in-law, who used to work for you guys.   I had the MRI 4-5 weeks later and the surgeon I had a tinyl lump and he'd advised he wouldnt advise the op for something so small and the pain I was in was from a torn transversalis fascia in the groin.

He said if he did the op to repair the fascia, it would last 3-4 weeks max with any sort of running so at my age (I'd just turned 40) he said he advised that I stick to cycling and/or swimming.  Easier said that done, every time I've tried to ride the bike since, I've been in agony.  Everytime I've swam, I feel it, even mucking around in the pool on holiday.

It took a good 12-18 months of not trying to run every 6-8 weeks hoping it had healed up and breaking down again for the pain to finally go.  I'm sad I cant run but I'll take being pain free now.  I manage to walk long distances ok but any sort of force through the groin like breaking into a gentle jog, I can feel it straight away.  Its shit getting old :)

Good luck and hope you get it sorted!

• Options

If I was to be too guided by heart rate I’d never get anywhere. I’m in the highest Zone 5 after just 3 mins gentle jogging 
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Made it to 10k for the first time, down to roughly 3 mins of walking. 
    Thats a massive achievement. 2.5k to 10k in under a month is impressive, well done.

Don't be discouraged by walking  for a bit either, if you watch marathon runners on YouTube they nearly always have a period of walking during a race.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Made it to 10k for the first time, down to roughly 3 mins of walking. 
    Thats a massive achievement. 2.5k to 10k in under a month is impressive, well done.

Don't be discouraged by walking  for a bit either, if you watch marathon runners on YouTube they nearly always have a period of walking during a race.
    Nice1 man, im absolutely buzzing.. really thought I'd be battling with this right upto the charity run in August. Just gonna try and manage my pace for the next few weeks, the first 5k I'm around 33min.. 2nd half drops right off. The goal is a 60min 10k by the end of August. 
  • Options
    Well done @shine166 bit make sure you build in enough rest and recovery and don’t get carried away otherwise injuries will soon start creeping in (from experience)
  • Options
    Well done @shine166 bit make sure you build in enough rest and recovery and don’t get carried away otherwise injuries will soon start creeping in (from experience)

I recommend this bloke on youtube and particularly these 2 videos.  Using them before and after each run will be beneficial in avoiding injuries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfF4f-QGRn8&t=3s 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GerCJ1gBbLw 
  • Options
    Yeah, it’s weird. I know people that run 5-6 times a week, about 50k a week, never do a single stretch let alone a warm up or warm down routine, and never get injured. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    In my experience you should be careful stretching before a run.  I usually run a very slow half mile, maybe a mile before stopping and stretching.  Be careful not to get too aggressive with stretching.  If you have persistent issues, seek professional advice. 
  • Options
    I can barely walk today 
  • Options
    Nice one @shine166

In an ideal world you'd want to be running negative splits but I'd be careful not to get too hung up on times full stop if you're just starting out. Enjoy the new found fitness for itself and the PB's will happen by themselves at this stage. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Yeah, it’s weird. I know people that run 5-6 times a week, about 50k a week, never do a single stretch let alone a warm up or warm down routine, and never get injured. 
    I often wonder if those types are telling the full truth? Do they secretly stretch?

If I don't stretch my quads, hamstrings, calves and psoas muscles, they all seize up and cause me loads of issues.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    I often wonder if those types are telling the full truth? Do they secretly stretch?

If I don't stretch my quads, hamstrings, calves and psoas muscles, they all seize up and cause me loads of issues.
    Tbf I don't run that often, 3 times a week and on average between 9-12k a time, but I never stetch before or after. I don't do the "quality" sessions or long distances that I might once have, but I've never suffered from any pulled leg muscles, hammies, etc. in decades of training. There are ironing boards out there which are more supple. I may be just lucky. 

I can, however, reach for a cup off the coffee table and put my back out of action for a month. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    I can barely walk today 
    Lower backp/hip is fucked, whether it's from running or bad posture at work I don't know.. but I've just picked up a script of tramadol.
  • Options
    Are there any plans to start the Park Runs again? I maybe in the UK next month.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Are there any plans to start the Park Runs again? I maybe in the UK next month.
    Yeah this coming weekend... https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/tag/restarting-parkrun/
  • Options
    I really need to do this, even though I’d expect a time of about 45-minutes by now! 
    But you couldn’t pay me to go this Saturday, I’ll give it a week or two I think!!
  • Options
    They start again this Saturday. I’ve no real enthusiasm for it yet tbh. Fairly sure I’d be rowing with a spitter by end of the first lap. 

Will assess feedback after the event