Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Anyone on here run in Vibram shoes, or similar minimalist?
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    I tried a few years ago. Had a pair of vivo barefoot shoes. Spent a few months trying to get used to them and failing. They were really comfy for walking in though. 
  • Options
    kigelia said:
    Cloudworm said:
    I tried a few years ago. Had a pair of vivo barefoot shoes. Spent a few months trying to get used to them and failing. They were really comfy for walking in though. 
    Yeah they take a bit of effort to transition to, but just reading the posts on here, I reckon a lot of people should consider them. Particularly @Rothko whose issues sound so much like mine before I make the switch. Modern running shoes are a bit of an expensive scam to my mind and most likely contribute to most injuries.
  • Options
    Nearly destroyed my Achilles in both legs transitioning using Vivo's barefoot transition programme. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Nearly destroyed my Achilles in both legs transitioning using Vivo's barefoot transition programme. 
    Yeah, I'm not saying it's easy, took 3 attempts for me and when I finally got it right, it was over a 4 month period. I'd be careful following a programme because we're all made different. Listening to my body and getting rid of my watch and Strava was when I made progress.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Yeah, I'm not saying it's easy, took 3 attempts for me and when I finally got it right, it was over a 4 month period. I'd be careful following a programme because we're all made different. Listening to my body and getting rid of my watch and Strava was when I made progress.
    and what benefits have you seen?
  • Options
    380 at Bexley parkrun yesterday....plus me marshalling at the boathouse and giving everyone a cheer as they went past....genuinely nearly bought a tear to my eye to be back in amongst it, even if I still can't actually run. Loved it.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Cloudworm said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    and what benefits have you seen?
    Immediate improvement in technique. Weight further forward, landing on the balls of my feet, rather than my heels. Have more muscle around my achilles than ever and the arches of my feet are noticeably more pronounced. Running feels more stable than it ever has and I’m not worried about all the old injuries I used to suffer from.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think everyone needs them, but if you over-pronate, heel strike and/or get shin splints and achilles tendinitis, it’s most likely down to bad technique. These shoes correct that and therefore lessen the chances of those injuries.

If you think about it, orthotics and shoes with lots of support are treating the symptoms, not the cause. A lot of physio sand podiatrists are not seeing the benefits and recommending them.

The transition requires perseverance and patience, and you have to resign yourself to running much slower for a while, but it’s the best thing I’ve done for years. I used to get so down when I got injured!

Here’s the book that started my interest in it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Born-Run-Hidden-Ultra-Runners-Greatest/dp/1861978774

• Options
    380 at Bexley parkrun yesterday....plus me marshalling at the boathouse and giving everyone a cheer as they went past....genuinely nearly bought a tear to my eye to be back in amongst it, even if I still can't actually run. Loved it.
    Well done for volunteering! Looking to run Bexley this Saturday morning.  Assume I just turn up with barcode etc just as pre covid?  Weather looks good.  Any lifers doing it?
  • Options
    @Bermuda_red yes, just turn up with barcode and run. I’ll be at the boathouse again, cheering all on (and stopping traffic!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Some of you might recognise a mate of mine and inactive (totally wrong word) lifer from away games.
    He is planning to do a series of runs to raise awareness and funds for a charity.
    He’s missing Saturdays match as he has a 67 mile run from Southwark to Canterbury cathedrals.

Good luck Keith.

• Options
    Cracking weather for it today  :/
  • Options
    My 48th Parkrun was my 2nd slowest and I was completely spent at the end, but great to be back running with others again. Chatted to loads of fellow Charlton fans at Avery Hill this morning 
  • Options
    Did Bexley for the first time since March last year. Took 36 seconds off my previous best time and 36th overall which I'm pretty happy with. So good to be running with other people again.
  • Options
    Finally back to sub 30 5ks, which is a relief as I felt I was never getting back there.

also, going to recommend Gymshark running clothes, was surprised they ventured into this area, but they’ve absolutely nailed it 
  • Options
    First ever barefoot 10k just done!
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    First ever barefoot 10k just done!
    Assume you mean in barefoot shoes?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I am tempted to try to transition to barefoot shoes again, especially as my Achilles are both screwed at the moment already! I'll get my Sept half out the way then reset everything as if I'd never run before.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I am tempted to try to transition to barefoot shoes again, especially as my Achilles are both screwed at the moment already! I'll get my Sept half out the way then reset everything as if I'd never run before.
    Yes, Dazzler. Vibrams.

I’d definitely recommend it. But best to start when you’re injuries ha e cleared up and, as you say, start from scratch. I really can’t emphasise enough, stop measuring time and distance and wear zero drop shoes every day if possible. Lots of walking too to get your feet used to them.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went back today, busiest I’ve ever seen it and (I believe) slowest I’ve ever done but some technology failure leaves me waiting for their email. 
    Very pleased it’s a downhill ride home 😓😤
  • Options
    Done 4 out of 4 since going back. Over 500 runners at Chelmsford today.

All 4 times are my slowest times out of nearly 50 runs 😵
  • Options
    Other than the 3 parkruns I did after my knee op in Feb/March 2020 today was the first proper one since Jan 2019 and it was harder than when I first started it!!!!
    Slowest ever time in 47 runs at 40 minutes and the most I've ever walked too. 3 more till 50 and the aim is to get round without walking by then and then start to get the time down.

Not looking forward to how my legs feel tomorrow morning!!
  • Options
    Has anyone got a Garmin watch? I just got a basic one last week and currently doing a half marathon training plan. Today I had to do a stride repeat run and I had to press the lap button, does anyone know if I have to press that after every 20 seconds?
  • Options
    @AllHailTheHen well done on that time....I was one of the funnel managers at Bexley today...slowly getting more people turning up each week.
  • Options
    @AllHailTheHen well done on that time....I was one of the funnel managers at Bexley today...slowly getting more people turning up each week.
    Thanks for doing the volunteering. You congratulate everyone for running but you guys are the real stars
  • Options
    Daddy_Pig said:
    Thanks for doing the volunteering. You congratulate everyone for running but you guys are the real stars
    Yep, I always make a point of going round thanking all the volunteers at the end for giving up their time. Literally takes seconds, yet surprises me just how few do.

They would be no event without them. 
  • Options
    tom_k said:
    Has anyone got a Garmin watch? I just got a basic one last week and currently doing a half marathon training plan. Today I had to do a stride repeat run and I had to press the lap button, does anyone know if I have to press that after every 20 seconds?
    which one do you have? many will do interval training now but depends how complicated you need it to be.
  • Options
    tom_k said:
    I know I've been able to setup my own workouts on my Garmin Forerunner 235 which are things like run 20secs | walk 90secs...

On those occasions it automatically advances to the next section of the workout - I also get a faint beeping noise from the watch a few seconds prior to the end of that part of the workout letting me know to prepare for the next section.