Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    WSS said:
    Junior ParkRun starting up earlier so will be dragging the 4 year old round the 2km.
    Not sure whether they are going to allow parents running alongside kids like they usually do 
  • Options
    forgot how much off road running tests your body, haven't ached this much in ages. 
  • Options
    I overpronate so have a pair of ASICS "gel zone" running shoes that are pretty sturdy and good for running off road, offer good support and grip. I'd probably get them or equivalent again. Got an Adidas pair as well which are fine for road but have a flat sole and I nearly stacked it when doing a parkrun in them
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Managed to get lost on Swanscombe Marshes and ran a 29.10 5k. More importantly, next time I do that run I need Trail running shoes 

If you are going to be running off road/ in muddy terrain regularly then I swear by these bad boys....quite pricey but best pair of sports shoes I have ever owned.

https://www.inov-8.com/mudclaw-g-260-graphene-running-shoe 

Worth having a look on  https://www.sportsshoes.com/ as excellent service and usually get big discounts
    They are hardcore! Was looking at these New Balance as a hybrid shoe, I need a new pair if 860s soon, so would get these as well, would give me enough extra traction, but would be more comfy on the roads upto the Marshes and hard trails on them 

https://www.newbalance.co.uk/men/shoes/trail-running/nitrelv4/MTNTRV4-34539.html
    Salomon Speedcross GTX would be my preferred choice.  Ran 4 seasons of the KFL Cross Country in a pair.  Brilliant traction even in snow and waterproof too.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    forgot how much off road running tests your body, haven't ached this much in ages. 
    mate, I can barely walk after 5k yesterday...
  • Options
    Highly recommend looking at shoe reviews here before committing. 

https://runrepeat.com/catalog/running-shoes
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Cheers. Need a new pair of road running shoes and too much choice!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Cheers. Need a new pair of road running shoes and too much choice!
    Unless NB do something massively different to them in a year, I'll stick with the 860s, and the new ones have more cushioning, which for me is pretty important. 

Someone at work recommended those @JohnBoyUK, cheers for confirmation they are a good shoe
  • Options
    Did 11k weekend which included running up shooters hill from the welling end down to eltham.  

Anyone looking to boost their fitness give that a go, the more hills the better, then when you do go back to flat runs your time will be much quicker!
  • Options
    Starting running again his year, doing a 5k twice a week or so, and managed my quickest time of 22 and 1/2 minutes (was almost sick after). Now however I'm only doing it once a week and still finding my motivation for it pretty low. Before the run i don't want to do it, during its a bit meh, but after however I feel great and get a great amount of satisfaction from actually having been. Words of advice how do I get properly back into it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Starting running again his year, doing a 5k twice a week or so, and managed my quickest time of 22 and 1/2 minutes (was almost sick after). Now however I'm only doing it once a week and still finding my motivation for it pretty low. Before the run i don't want to do it, during its a bit meh, but after however I feel great and get a great amount of satisfaction from actually having been. Words of advice how do I get properly back into it?
    Focus on the after feeling.

Had a run like that today. Knew I had to get it done, didn't fancy it. Was meh whilst running, but the feeling when you're done. It's probably the main reason I do run! 

What time are you getting round in on your one run a week? Sometimes the motivation can be as simple as beating the last time out.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Had a run like that today. Knew I had to get it done, didn't fancy it. Was meh whilst running, but the feeling when you're done. It's probably the main reason I do run! 

What time are you getting round in on your one run a week? Sometimes the motivation can be as simple as beating the last time out.
    24 minutes ish normally, I guess I just have to force myself a bit. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

24 minutes ish normally, I guess I just have to force myself a bit. 
    I'd also suggest trying a longer slower run & a shorter quicker one. 
  • Options
    Another form of motivation that I try to go with was the change up my route each run - Would try and run in a different direction each time, found that when I did a few routes repetitively I got bored myself
  • Options
    Agree, mixing routes up is key
  • Options
    Another is to use something like strava and add segments to your routes or find routes with segments to beat. I enjoy running the same route when I am running solo.

Best tip for running more is to get a running buddy who you and they can hold one another accountable. 
  • Options
    I mix my routes up all the time, sometimes along the river, sometimes towards Bluewater, sometimes just completely random. One of the things I used to like when I was riding the bike more, was to go off and just find new things, might as well do the same running
  • Options
    Strava is a great app, cheers chaps for advice!
  • Options
    Making sure I have a good podcast to listen to helps me but agree with the above about using Strava segments as motivation

I've become the 'Local Legend' of a segment in Greenwich Park and so not letting that slip gives me good motivation to get out

Getting into a routine helps. Since it's got brighter in the morning I've started running before work again and now it's part of the routine I can't see myself stopping until next winter when it gets dark again
  • Options
    How do you add segments? Can I do it with my watch or is it something you do after the race? I often see other's segments
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    How do you add segments? Can I do it with my watch or is it something you do after the race? I often see other's segments
    I’ve never added my own, just run ones that have already been set up. I think you can do it on the website or app though. 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    I’ve never added my own, just run ones that have already been set up. I think you can do it on the website or app though. 
    Once you've run a route, you go to the website (desktop) and you can select your last run route and then select 'Create Segment' You plot the start and finish point. 
  • Options
    I threw 1/4 mile intervals into the mix earlier this week. 2mins for the first one and then taking 10 seconds off each interval after that with a 90 sec rest between. Brutal. 
  • Options
    I threw 1/4 mile intervals into the mix earlier this week. 2mins for the first one and then taking 10 seconds off each interval after that with a 90 sec rest between. Brutal. 
    I tried doing that once. I tend to go in one direction half way and then go back... Found myself broken and far away from home
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    I tried doing that once. I tend to go in one direction half way and then go back... Found myself broken and far away from home
    On the flip side, How good a feeling is it on the return leg and you get to the stage of ‘knowing’ you’re going to complete it without needing to stop?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    On the flip side, How good a feeling is it on the return leg and you get to the stage of ‘knowing’ you’re going to complete it without needing to stop?

For a normal run great, but after a few fartlecks it's a slow painful walk home
  • Options
    Did the Nike Run Club app interval training thing today 8 x 1m at 5k effort, seemed pretty good, probably going to be a once a week thing
  • Options
    That 1 minute or mile? 

What rest do you have to do between intervals?
  • Options
    Minute, and a minute rest, pretty easy for a starter