Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to hear that mate, never realised you had it and hope you are ok.

• Options
    Slowly but steadily getting there, cheers mate. 
  • Options
    I’d really consider just follow the couch to 5k again mate. Gives some structure and targets. 

If it feels good then just add a bit of distance to each stage.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    question for the runners who’ve had Covid, or returned to it after illness. How did you find getting back into it after?

My last run was mid-December, day before my positive test, so about 8 weeks ago. 

All Covid impacts are different but mine were heavily focused on fatigue / tiredness. Amongst my symptoms, my legs hurt very badly for about a fortnight, to the extent for a week of that I was literally unable to straighten my legs. 

That’s better now, my legs feel heavy but have stopped aching in the last fortnight but I still get breathlessness from walking and generally feel after a walk like I used to after a run. 

I’m desperate to start running again. I’ve put on a fair bit of weight from having such little movement over the last two months so feel desperate to do something again as I’m really starting to feel unfit and unhealthy. 

I know the best approach is to start really slowly for a very short distance and gradually build it up. But physically (and mentally) this has all knocked me for six and if I’m honest, although I’m desperate to start I’ve also got a fair bit of trepidation around it. Raised it when talking with doctor and all I got was you know your own body. 

Anyone else have similar concerns after recovering from illness? 
    The only thing I can say is I had the flu last Christmas (2019 not 2020!) and since then my asthma has slowly gotten much worse, I suspect brought on by the limited amount of exercise I have been able to do (New kid, increased work pressures & lockdown etc). 

It takes time, but you have to be patient with yourself as you work back to it. 

I started back this year from the very basics of jog 1 mile, gentle stretching for 12 seconds per stretch (calves, back, quads, hammies) then jog another km to warm down before going through full stretch routine. Roll on days off. And basically added a bit more time or distance each run. No big jumps, just little steps up. Probably should have restarted the Cto5k as WSS says. 

I am now back able to get round 5k again in about 24 mins (my pb being 20:07) but have come back from nearly 30 minutes before christmas. 
  • Options
    cheers both 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Keep it going AFKA, Football pitches are a great tool for doing intervals.

Sprint on the goal line edges and jog the long edges.

Repeat for x sprints/jogs  increasing the count by 1 each week and you'll be getting fitter in no time.(2 sprints and 2 jogs obvs = 1 lap) A useful start to a session, but also a great finisher. 
  • Options
    Think it will be a while till I’m chucking sprints in Daz!
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Think it will be a while till I’m chucking sprints in Daz!
    Yeah, maybe but given how you progressed over the last couple of years, you know you can do it. 

It's a good opportunity for a progression from where you are today to work towards. Work up to adding another touchline each week to your jog, then when you feel ready start adding sprints back in on one short edge per attempt and build up.
  • Options
    *Mini achievement klaxon*

Managed to jog round the outside of a football pitch without stopping this afternoon. Puffed out but I’m on my way back. 

1k, 1 mile and 5k my next milestones

Is that from Marcus Maddison's insta?

Only kidding, well done mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Few dates:

11 Apr - Intended return of Junior Parkrun
    5 Jun - Intended return of Parkrun
    22 Aug - Rescheduled date for Vitality Big Half
    Not particularly looking forward now to the Big Half in August.

I have come to realise that I much prefer cold weather running than anything warm, and late August has got the threat of heat all over it!
  • Options
    that was my first thought :-(
  • Options
    Good luck to you all running long distances. I used to run a bit but not done a lot for years. Got to week 6 of the couch to 5k with the lad just before winter kicked in and was finding that pretty easy. My pace before training is below 9 minute miles but not below 8 for any length of time.

just started again now the weather is a bit better and back up to week 5 again. 

Personally though I’m happy being able to run 5k/10k, no wish to run half or full marathons as again personal view is they fuck your body up. Good luck to those who do. 
  • Options
    Need to plan a 13-15k loop tonight on mapometer for the morning.
  • Options
    Hopefully do a couple of runs this weekend. Finally got my 5k back under half an hour. Since I've moved house my route is 2.5 k downhill then back up it again so a bit of a struggle but probably good exercise! Once the kids are back at school I hope to fit in a midweek longer run
  • Options
    5.5 tonight, decided to run the last 1.5 hard to blow out the cobwebs 
  • Options
    I had covid mid december too but was back running at my top speeds first week of Jan. Stuck with all manner of biomechanical issues that have been plaguing me nearly a year, hip / groin pain. Have started wearing some orthotics I had made this week, hoping that'll make a difference but left me with blisters and very bloody feet from a 10k yesterday!!
  • Options
    Few dates:

11 Apr - Intended return of Junior Parkrun
    5 Jun - Intended return of Parkrun
    22 Aug - Rescheduled date for Vitality Big Half
    Not particularly looking forward now to the Big Half in August.

I have come to realise that I much prefer cold weather running than anything warm, and late August has got the threat of heat all over it!
    Yeah I can't say I'm looking forward to that either. Also general London marathon training in the summer months isn't going to be great. Never done proper distance training during the summer.
  • Options
    Awesome to hear that parkrun is returning 

Time to get back into training 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any provisional dates for London 10k?
  • Options
    Standard Chartered City Run 5k confirmed back on this summer my company have 9 places, did it in 2019 very flat so can get a decent time but so busy you end up doing more than 5k because you’re dodging people most of the time!
  • Options
    Standard Chartered City Run 5k confirmed back on this summer my company have 9 places, did it in 2019 very flat so can get a decent time but so busy you end up doing more than 5k because you’re dodging people most of the time!
    Done this a few times... I'll see if my old company have a spare slot! Never my best time you get plenty of space once it opens out, but the last Km uphill is a bit of a challenge
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Done this a few times... I'll see if my old company have a spare slot! Never my best time you get plenty of space once it opens out, but the last Km uphill is a bit of a challenge
    I got 22:36, yeah slight uphill on the last part and sometimes you had to queue for a couple seconds to run back on yourself, good though and a free beer at the finish. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I remember one year it was absolutely baking hot, and so dusty my mouth dried up in no time. The beer at the end fell down
  • Options
    Junior ParkRun starting up earlier so will be dragging the 4 year old round the 2km.
  • Options
    Managed to get lost on Swanscombe Marshes and ran a 29.10 5k. More importantly, next time I do that run I need Trail running shoes 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Rothko said:
    Managed to get lost on Swanscombe Marshes and ran a 29.10 5k. More importantly, next time I do that run I need Trail running shoes 

If you are going to be running off road/ in muddy terrain regularly then I swear by these bad boys....quite pricey but best pair of sports shoes I have ever owned.

https://www.inov-8.com/mudclaw-g-260-graphene-running-shoe 

Worth having a look on  https://www.sportsshoes.com/ as excellent service and usually get big discounts
  • Options
    Rothko said:

If you are going to be running off road/ in muddy terrain regularly then I swear by these bad boys....quite pricey but best pair of sports shoes I have ever owned.

https://www.inov-8.com/mudclaw-g-260-graphene-running-shoe 

Worth having a look on  https://www.sportsshoes.com/ as excellent service and usually get big discounts
    They are hardcore! Was looking at these New Balance as a hybrid shoe, I need a new pair if 860s soon, so would get these as well, would give me enough extra traction, but would be more comfy on the roads upto the Marshes and hard trails on them 

https://www.newbalance.co.uk/men/shoes/trail-running/nitrelv4/MTNTRV4-34539.html