Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Wonder if we'll see Parkrun events back soon what with Gyms / Swimming Pools allowed to re-open soon

Makes it daft that small scale outdoor events like Parkrun havent been allowed to restart before these
  • Options
    Wonder if we'll see Parkrun events back soon what with Gyms / Swimming Pools allowed to re-open soon

Makes it daft that small scale outdoor events like Parkrun havent been allowed to restart before these
    I think they problem is, Parkrun isn't a small scale outdoor event, loads of them have 300+ attending 
  • Options
    Rothko said:

I think they problem is, Parkrun isn't a small scale outdoor event, loads of them have 300+ attending 
    But surely its easier for people to self distance from each other than in Gyms or Swimming Pools?

Must no different than the numbers that are showing up at the local parks

Certainly found it odd how the big events are trying to get started yet nothing about Parkrun which isnt going to have people travelling from all over the country
  • Options
    I used to work with Parkrun in the old job, so will text the CEO tomorrow. But I suspect they'll want to come back, but want to come back safely. 
  • Options
    parkrun cannot come back until allowed to do so by UKA as they come under their insurance. UKA currently have no idea on timescale for a return to competition but will tomorrow (along with runbritain, England Athletics and presumably Welsh, Scottish and NI athletics) be submitting their proposals for a return to Sport England and the DCMS. This was planned before today's statement so the proposal is already drawn up.
    Then they have to wait and see whether a return is allowed. The current intention/desire is to restart competitions of all sizes at the same time but I suspect that will need to be looked at and smaller scale events will be tried first

• Options
    If outside gigs are ok .....
  • Options
    HexHex
    edited July 2020
    I have just finished week 7 so have four 25min runs under my belt with decreasing km pace times; 8:30, 7:33, 7:40 and 7:08.
    At my daughter's suggestion I also introduced an interval session; 2mins slow jog, 1.5min run, repeated 6 times.
    I was aided today by less wind resistence on my head !
  • Options
    and my question is how you go from 5k to 10k, is it a slow build over a couple of months, or something you can throw yourself into 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Rothko said:
    and my question is how you go from 5k to 10k, is it a slow build over a couple of months, or something you can throw yourself into 
    Nope everything is a slow build up when it comes to distance running

Try to do something too much, too quickly and you will injure yourself as you'll be putting too much unexpected strain on your body
  • Options
    HexHex
    edited July 2020
    Rothko said:
    Nope everything is a slow build up when it comes to distance running

Try to do something too much, too quickly and you will injure yourself as you'll be putting too much unexpected strain on your body
    Even in Couch to 5k the last run of week 6 is 25mins, week 7 is 3x25mins, week 8 is 3x28mins and week 9 (the last) is 3x30mins so progression becomes slow.
    My daughter highly recommends the interval runs as away of building up your capabilities.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    a 10% weekly increase is an oft quoted figure and while it's a fairly arbitrary number it's also one that seems to work fairly well. using that should see you go form 5-10k in around 7 or 8 weeks.

and do the longer runs slowly, really slowly. you should be at <85% of a max effort but that doesn't mean that's a target, top elite runners are doing a very large percentage of their running at less than 70% of the max to avoid injuries
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I'd recommend something like this:

or if that feels too easy you can progress a bit faster like the following:

• Options

As I understand it - and this is second-hand - Parkrun HQ don't want to bring events back until all social distancing restrictions have gone. It's back in New Zealand as all their restrictions have gone. But even in places like Norway, which have largely opened up, Parkrun is taking its time returning.

Incidentally, for those in/near SE7 who fancy helping starting a Charlton parkrun: https://charltonchampion.co.uk/2020/07/14/could-you-help-parkrun-come-to-charlton-park/
  • Options
    There's a fantastic book for those wishing to progress their running over the next few years.

80/20 Running

https://www.amazon.co.uk/80-20-Running-Stronger-Training-ebook/dp/B00IIVFAEY
  • Options
    There's a fantastic book for those wishing to progress their running over the next few years.

80/20 Running

https://www.amazon.co.uk/80-20-Running-Stronger-Training-ebook/dp/B00IIVFAEY
    For the sake of 20p more, gone with physical over Kindle edition
  • Options
    This has done wonders for my mental health which was in tatters
    Literally the best thing about running for me. 

Physical benefits are a secondary benefit for me... That mostly comes from diet.  
  • Options
    HexHex
    edited August 2020
    I started running a the NHS couch to 5k about 3 months ago, really struggled at first (could not even do the 90sec run!) and i have had to repeat a couple of weeks before i moved on BUT i have completed the 25min run this morning!  

This has done wonders for my mental health which was in tatters, and also improved my blood pressure, blood sugar count. 

If i can do it at 63 anyone can. Give it a go, you just might surprise yourself!
    Well done and keep going !

Now that you are into the single long runs you may find you benefit from splitting them with some interval running.  Once a week I did a week 2 but replaced the walking with gentle jogs and the running with something faster than I was doing on the long runs. 
    I also used MapMyRun app to give a breakdown on what I was achieving which also helped to raise enthusiasm.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hex said:
    Hex said:
    Today is the day I completed 'Couch to 5K' and my knees have held up !  It was a bit awkward trying to finish where the blackberry bushes had plentiful fruit but Mrs Hex's wish is my command.  I suppose, in the absence of Parkrun I will have to increase my distance (4.45k today) to 5k.  We will see.
    I was not happy with the 'last' run so decided to try again today without the need to stop to pick blackberries !  I did 5.17km in 39:37, with 38:26 my time at 5km so I'm very happy with that and it nicely concludes my Couch running.

Hopefully doesn't conclude your running in general. Now you're in a position to progress either your time or distance! 
  • Options
    At a time when staying fit greatly enhances your chances of surviving Covid-19 try not to mash your meniscus, especially when you’re in your sixties. 
    Very annoying. 
  • Options
    Not sure if against the rules but here's a plug for my running YouTube channel that I started up during lockdown. Really too old for YouTube but being over 35 means runners get to be called masters...hence the name. Been running for a long time at a fairly good level so have some advice to dish out.
    Check it out and don't be shy to subscribe, it's free!

• Options
    Had been pleased to get back running after the virus and had even done my first sub-30min 5km for ages last week. I then managed to twist my ankle on Thursday so now have a purple, swollen left foot. Anyone out there had similar and can give me an idea how long I should leave it until starting running again? 
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your ankle. I did mine a few years ago...trail run...stepped on a hidden brick. On crutches for 6 weeks and running after about 9 weeks.
    Obviously get it checked out if you haven't already but a few tips on recovery and rehab:
    Keep it supported...get a figure of 8 type ankle wrap to hold everything in place.
    Arnica Cream - It think it helped me to reduce the bruising more quickly
    Mobility - this can't be underplayed. Do as much as you feel comfortable with but while recovering, try and keep the ankle moving. One thing I did was try to write all the letters of the alphabet in the air with my toes. When ready to put more weight on and consider running, do lots of ankle mobility. I got a balance board and just stood on it for a few minutes every day.

Hope you are back running soon.
  • Options
    onthe99 said:
    Sorry to hear about your ankle. I did mine a few years ago...trail run...stepped on a hidden brick. On crutches for 6 weeks and running after about 9 weeks.
    Obviously get it checked out if you haven't already but a few tips on recovery and rehab:
    Keep it supported...get a figure of 8 type ankle wrap to hold everything in place.
    Arnica Cream - It think it helped me to reduce the bruising more quickly
    Mobility - this can't be underplayed. Do as much as you feel comfortable with but while recovering, try and keep the ankle moving. One thing I did was try to write all the letters of the alphabet in the air with my toes. When ready to put more weight on and consider running, do lots of ankle mobility. I got a balance board and just stood on it for a few minutes every day.

Hope you are back running soon.
    Cheers @onthe99 - some really useful advice there. I tried the alphabet this morning and it did help. Your experience sounds a lot worse than mine, which is a Moderate rather than Serious tweak. I was on a stick for a couple of days but hobbling about without it most of the time now. 

Someone suggested using a plump cushion as a wobble board, or a pillow folded in half. Will give that a go as I've used one before as part of arthritis treatment and it definitely helps get the muscles working without having to actually exercise!
  • Options
    onthe99 said:
    Not sure if against the rules but here's a plug for my running YouTube channel that I started up during lockdown. Really too old for YouTube but being over 35 means runners get to be called masters...hence the name. Been running for a long time at a fairly good level so have some advice to dish out.

Subbed, will watch the content later
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    onthe99 said:

Subbed, will watch the content later
    Thanks very much!, it's really appreciated.
  • Options
    Anyone got tips on running buggies? I need to have the freedom to run and it's become clear I am going to have to take the baby with me to obtain the time to get out. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Anyone got tips on running buggies? I need to have the freedom to run and it's become clear I am going to have to take the baby with me to obtain the time to get out. 
    Does this mean you intend to go running whilst pushing a baby in a buggy?