Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Great stuff @Rothko. Happy running!
  • god i miss parkrun
  • Getting into the habit of getting 10k-12k in before work three times a week might be the only plus point to come out of the last few months. It's a struggle sometimes but I always feel much better for it afterwards.

With it an almost certainty I will be moving to home working permanently I'm going to try to keep it up...but ask me again in December!. 
  • edited June 2020
    in past 6 weeks ive gone back running after more or less a 2 year break.

started of very light moving up to doing full 5 k more or less every day for past 3 weeks and done my first 10k for ages today, no record but done in 1hr 9mins (44yo, overweight)

Couple weeks back towards the end of the 5k felt a pinch in my calf which felt bruised next couple of days but then got back into it slowly. Same happened again today at  about 9.9km but the opposite calf, again fells bruised.

Anyone else encountered this or how to prevent it, only thing I can think of is maybe dehydration, i ran out of water at about 8km today.

Any help or advice taken onboard.
  • in past 6 weeks ive gone back running after more or less a 2 year break.

started of very light moving up to doing full 5 k more or less every day for past 3 weeks and done my first 10k for ages today, no record but done in 1hr 9mins (44yo, overweight)

Couple weeks back towards the end of the 5k felt a pinch in my calf which felt bruised next couple of days but then got back into it slowly. Same happened again today at  about 9.9km but the opposite calf, again fells bruised.

Anyone else encountered this or how to prevent it, only thing I can think of is maybe dehydration, i ran out of water at about 8km today.

Any help or advice taken onboard.
    Sounds like you are over doing it after long lay off.  As I have got older (now 53) I only occasionally run on consecutive days.  I would go see a sports massage therapist/physio etc as what you describe could be a multitude of things.  I do this when training for a race anyway just so any potential issues don't turn into injuries.  Check shoes - they may be worn.  Dehydration could lead to cramp but unlikely to feel it days later.  Diet/rest/recovery  comes into it more as you get older. I had a similar thing to what you described last year when training for a half and it shut me down for a month - listen to your body.  Get on a bike/swim/walk/core training until calf has cleared up.  I would always include core training in any running program.  Good luck!
  • Cheers mate
  • Hex said:
    Hex said:
    After what seems like years of nagging from Mrs Hex I have given in and joined her morning jog.  She does Parkrun in around 32mins but is recovering from a hip injury so is repeating Couch to 5k.  This morning was my first attempt and I survived.
    Today I completed the 2nd of the week 3 runs with no ill effects after a few knee issues in week 2.  So far, so good ....

Despite some minor knee discomfort I completed run 1 of week 5 today with less trouble than I was anticipating.  I must admit I am surprising myself at the moment.

• Hex said:
    Hex said:
    Hex said:
    After what seems like years of nagging from Mrs Hex I have given in and joined her morning jog.  She does Parkrun in around 32mins but is recovering from a hip injury so is repeating Couch to 5k.  This morning was my first attempt and I survived.
    Today I completed the 2nd of the week 3 runs with no ill effects after a few knee issues in week 2.  So far, so good ....

Despite some minor knee discomfort I completed run 1 of week 5 today with less trouble than I was anticipating.  I must admit I am surprising myself at the moment.

Week 6 completed today; a 25 minute run round the nearby fields was the last of the 3 run variations.  I think it’s just runs of increasing length from now on.  If anyone is thinking about taking more exercise then I’d recommend Couch to 5k.  It is certainly working for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• How people just pick up after an injury or lay off I’ll never know. I go 2-3 weeks without a run and I regress 2-3 years.

painfully dragged myself around 4 1/2 miles last night, slow and uncomfortable, didn’t enjoy a second of it. 
  • edited July 2020
    How people just pick up after an injury or lay off I’ll never know. I go 2-3 weeks without a run and I regress 2-3 years.

painfully dragged myself around 4 1/2 miles last night, slow and uncomfortable, didn’t enjoy a second of it. 
    I took a month off after the Marathon got postponed...

Really struggled to get myself out the door and just got to a point where I had no choice or I wouldnt be ready for the re-arranged date (not that its 100% going ahead still). The first few runs really were awful because of the fitness Id lost and basically had to start again from nothing

If I hadnt had that actual race to prepare for then I probably would have regressed completely and would no doubt have stopped running

Have to admit one other way I got around it was buying a new pair of trainers specially lightweight for racing and speedwork, spending that amount of money was another factor that made me get going
  • I'm not sure I will ever 'get the bug' so for now it is a battle of how far I can progress before my knees say "no more".  I run early to fit in with medication/eating so summer running is OK but when winter arrives it may be more difficult.  We shall see.
  • HexHex
    edited July 2020
    Wilma said:
    Hex said:
    Hex said:
    Hex said:
    Hex said:

Week 6 completed today; a 25 minute run round the nearby fields was the last of the 3 run variations.  I think it’s just runs of increasing length from now on.  If anyone is thinking about taking more exercise then I’d recommend Couch to 5k.  It is certainly working for me.
    Well done! I completed the course at the end of May and am still out running regularly. I can do 5k without stopping or collapsing afterwards. I've gone from being a 20-a-day smoker to a runner in six months :-)
    That's brilliant @Wilma.  It just shows how a properly structured training regime can significantly change your fitness. 
    Before 'Couch' I had only run on a cross-trainer, on and off over the last few years.  Since lockdown started I upped it from 10 to 30 minutes, which I managed 10 times in 12 successive days before hitting the pavements (and fields),  so I had something of a foundation.  Plus, with 68 years gone, it was now or never !
  • I do all my runs with intervals still at moment, bought decent watch and doing 350m jog, 150m walk x20 for my 10k

When I done my 5k I try the same but sometimes I can go further without the walking, done 2.5km running without the walk for the first time the other day.

I'd much rather be able to jog slower and not have to walk any of it but it seems to work for me at the moment. 
  • Getting consistency back is what helps get me back up to speed quickly. I often find I lose interest in all physical activity if I leave it too long. 

I am currently enjoying just doing a couple of really easy miles every couple of days before doing some weights at home. 

• I do all my runs with intervals still at moment, bought decent watch and doing 350m jog, 150m walk x20 for my 10k

When I done my 5k I try the same but sometimes I can go further without the walking, done 2.5km running without the walk for the first time the other day.

I'd much rather be able to jog slower and not have to walk any of it but it seems to work for me at the moment. 
    Have you tried Couch to 5K ?

Intervals is a better structure for beginning. As Hex says, give Couch to 5km a go. It'll give you some difference in training as well as a structured plan to improve. I think there's a progression 5 to 10km plan too.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Yh I done the couch to 5k but to be honest I got a bit bored and was feeling as if I hadn't done anything after the run I skipped a few weeks (which I know I shouldn't) and felt fine. 

The app kept crashing mid run which started to get on my nerves then decided to do my own thing. 

I honestly might go back to it to train myself to be able to run 5k without stopping but I find my knees (45 yo and played football for 38 years) hurting after about 2km and I need that little walk mid run just to recover. 

• HexHex
    edited July 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    I do all my runs with intervals still at moment, bought decent watch and doing 350m jog, 150m walk x20 for my 10k

Intervals is a better structure for beginning. As Hex says, give Couch to 5km a go. It'll give you some difference in training as well as a structured plan to improve. I think there's a progression 5 to 10km plan too.  
    The '5k' in Couch is misleading as it should really be 30mins continuous running.  Most beginners are unlikely to reach 5k in 30mins.  My first 25min run was just under 3k.
  • Hex said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I do all my runs with intervals still at moment, bought decent watch and doing 350m jog, 150m walk x20 for my 10k

The '5k' in Couch is misleading as it should really be 30mins continuous running.  Most beginners are unlikely to reach 5k in 30mins.  My first 25min run was just under 3k.
    Yes, it was Couch to 3.5k for me. Took a few parkruns to get it close to 5k!

The "did I just do that?" effect of week five of Couch to 5K is amazing, though.
  • On the topic of returning from injuries, I'm a big advocate of run-walk intervals. Found them really useful returning from a bit of a melting pot of injuries that occured in February, and already running faster than I was before them despite a month off unable to do anything.

Its a good way to build up gently, get your bones and tendons especially used to the impact of running!
  • I've had pretty much 7 weeks off due to a strained adductor muscle.

Started getting out again now but about 50 seconds per km slower that I was before injury and feel absolutely shafted after about 6km.

Think I just need to get back into more consistent running.
  • Went for a light 5k today and calf went at 3.2k

Think I have to listen to the rest advice as 10k yday felt brilliant and could have gone further I think. 
  • Speed session tonight around the local lake, i say speed...More like a quicker shuffle...
  • Went for a light 5k today and calf went at 3.2k

Think I have to listen to the rest advice as 10k yday felt brilliant and could have gone further I think. 
    As someone who has picked up a few injuries from trying to do too long distances too soon, would definitely echo the previous comments about not doing as much.

I managed a couple of half marathons in Feb and March, but even at that point of not too bad fitness know I wouldn’t have been able to run every day.

Am 45 now, and every ache and pain seems much more obvious than it did even 10 years ago!
  • Rothko said:
    Did a sub 30 5k for the first time in a long time today, the shoes do feel like they’ve made a difference, feet seem to be going where I want them, instead of rocking and rolling as I was before.
    Great effort... Well done