Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Good chance this may be the last one for  awhile. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Still raining, hopefully the weather will have stopped when it returns 😬
  • Options
    Slow old 36.50 around Hilly Fields, too tired to go any faster. Crowd a little down at 242.
  • Options
    Over 100 people less than last week at Danson. 40 seconds off my previous PB at 24:58 and that was with a stitch for most of the 2nd lap. Happy with that.
  • Options
    Over 100 people less than last week at Danson. 40 seconds off my previous PB at 24:58 and that was with a stitch for most of the 2nd lap. Happy with that.
    Attendance at Danson down 23%, Avery Hill down 31%, Dartford 32%, Hilly Fields 36%...
  • Options
    33.28* for me today.

*I pushed my three year old around in the buggy and got stuck in the mud. Twice.
  • Options
    Only my second Hastings parkrun, 28 seconds quicker so happy with that. Turnout similar to last time, only 30 fewer. Suspect it may be a while before the next one.
  • Options
    Ground ground was definitely a bit firmer than last week
  • Options
    30 mins round Reigate Parkrun this morning. Tough going and they said likely to be last one for a while. Waiting for advice next week from Government. Will be all or none as shutting some simply moves runners to open ones, defeating the purpose. Not sure I’m up for running round the living room...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2020
    ParkRun cancelled until the end of March.

Initially, this closure will be in place until the end of March, however this is largely to bring all parkrun countries into the same time frame and we very much expect closures to continue through April at least.”
  • Options
    Knew I shoulda got out of bed last Saturday...
  • Options
    First solo parkrun this morning. I wasn’t sure how it would go but after the initial first strange half mile I really got into it. Dodging dog walkers and crossing roads along Shoreham beach so happy with 23:21. Feel great for doing it and getting the heart rate up - I’d urge all fellow parkrun lifers to get out there. 
  • Options
    https://time.com/5807704/french-man-marathon-balcony-coronavirus/

This is dedication.   Runners always find a way!  I have to confess, we do have a balcony and after reading this I did measure it!

At this time I'm still running my usual routes (railway trails/golf course trolley paths etc), which are wide open with very few people.  However, I do fear a total lockdown.

How are others getting their miles in?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    https://time.com/5807704/french-man-marathon-balcony-coronavirus/

This is dedication.   Runners always find a way!  I have to confess, we do have a balcony and after reading this I did measure it!

At this time I'm still running my usual routes (railway trails/golf course trolley paths etc), which are wide open with very few people.  However, I do fear a total lockdown.

How are others getting their miles in?

I ran 10k through deserted country lanes.   Saw 2 other people whilst out and gave them a wide berth as i ran past them.

Previously have spat when running/ playing football (disgusting and uneccessary) but made a conscious effort to not do so and didn't and won't in future.   Think it's a mental thing as Frank Skinner pointed out people spit playing 11 a side but dont indoors in 5 a side.

Didn't touch anything other than my front door when I left and returned and pretty much ran in the middle of the roads.

Felt concerned about whether it is ok to run as you dont want to catch anything and dont want to harm others, but figured that i don't know how I could pass any germs to anyone doing so running in secluded lanes with no one about.

If i lived in a crowded city i'd give it more thought as it would not be easy necessarily to social distance.

Same as taking a walk outside with the kids.    Once we get outside our street it's all deserted country lanes and if you see others you can move over well over 2 metres for the brief second you pass.  

All my race season been postponed cancelled starting with the Hastings half marathon next Sunday and another run Bedgebury 10k which was due tomorrow.

Glad to see it and gutting of course but these are minor imperceptible disappointments in the bigger scheme of things and it is good that common sense has prevailed.

Will run sensibly round here where i can properly implement social distancing and if it changes advice wise then will stop immediately. 

• Options
    I've taken a break for two weeks as came out of the Lydd 20 with a few niggles in my calfs and ankles

Ran around town a bit today to get jobs done quickly and was pleased at how they felt

Plan is to start running again from next week, focusing for a month on some speed and strength drills rather than putting in specific miles
  • Options
    Anyone on here wear On running shoes? Looking to get a new pair when out of lockdown, and moving away from my Brooks to the Cloudflairs. Are they all hype or any good?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Anyone on here wear On running shoes? Looking to get a new pair when out of lockdown, and moving away from my Brooks to the Cloudflairs. Are they all hype or any good?
    I have a pair.  Not sure which model - they are black.  They are the pair down from the most cushioned. 

Negatives: Haven't used them for a while as they tend to pick up pebbles and large seeds in that hollowed out section that runs the length of the sole.  Which is annoying.  Don't lace up that well around foot either - I have found that as a result heel lifts.  Laces are very thin and knot easily.  Expensive shoes.

Positives:  very light.  Look cool.

I might use them on track when we are allowed back on after lockdown, as track is free of debris that may wedge in sole.  I wouldn't buy another pair. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Do NOT buy them.  I repeat Do NOT.

They are absolute crap.

I bought a pair of the Cloud X last Aug.  Now bearing in mind I was only walking in them (I needed a light pair to help deal with my Achilles Tendinopathy) with 7 days of walking 4-5 miles a day on the commute, the heel pad had worn through.

Went through the warranty scheme, got another pair after they promised me they were a duff pair and the same thing happened again.

There is no way on this planet the material they use is fit for purpose.  Avoid like the plague.

I ran in Brooks Glycerin for years and if I was still running, I'd still have 3 pairs of them.
  • Options

Hard evidence re: my post above!
    Avoid like the plague.
  • Options
    All very useful @JohnBoyUK and @Bermuda_red, cheers for the heads up. I need something more cushioning on runs, so might look at the Glycerins for next time 
  • Options
    If you'd like a nice fun challenge during lockdown then have a go at the Ross Berkley 5k

https://www.fastrunning.com/running-athletics-news/great-britain/5k-world-record-smashed/29746?fbclid=IwAR2KAnO0FWEexufmwjVCLQVKosFuIC42RF0VjHh6Ov9cRA37KvcdPMTVNXs

The idea is to, just like Ross Berkley, run the fastest 5k you can during a single session but you can keep stop/starting the timer so it's the total of a number of reps rather than a continuous 5k

I had a go last night on a local hill, now aching all over after running a 16:22
  • Options
    On the subject of running shoes I've recently replaced my Asics Pulse with the same model. I like them to run in and they're relatively cheap. But as with all trainers I end up wearing through the box on the right one with my big toe.

So in pretty short order they look like I picked them out of a skip but are very comfortable. So I end up wearing them for too many kilometers. Also of course I end up losing the bloody toenail every time I change trainers. Which is not a good look and it takes months and months to grow back.

However, I was recommended to invest in these recently...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07KPTPBR4/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bit weird to start with and I was worried about blisters but a bit of vase' seems to have avoided that. I'm 90km into my new trainers and so far, no black toenail and no hole developing in them.

Recommended for anyone with the same issue! 
  • Options
    I got some runderwear socks on pay day - Cost £14 for a single pair but extremely comfortable and are apparently designed to avoid blisters (so far so good)

Certainly better and more lightweight than my Karrimor socks from SportsDirect which shouldn't be much of a surprise
  • Options
    Just started running again after a few months off, can't believe how much fitness I've lost over being stuck at home. Hopefully get back to to speed soon
  • Options
    Hadn't run since February, now done about 7 runs. Managed to get back up to 10k, but was nearly a minute per kilometre above my pb. Finding it seriously tough, I've not been getting as much exercise, and I've been eating and drinking too much, so it's going to be a while until I'm back up to speed... Glad to be out running again though
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Hadn't run since February, now done about 7 runs. Managed to get back up to 10k, but was nearly a minute per kilometre above my pb. Finding it seriously tough, I've not been getting as much exercise, and I've been eating and drinking too much, so it's going to be a while until I'm back up to speed... Glad to be out running again though
    I feel this...