Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• I’m ramping back up slowly again, just adding time with each run, foot feels fine, so seems to be the right approach.

need new shoes when this is over, hugely tempted by the Allbirds Dashers, getting really good reviews and I’m not going to be running behind 5/10k so look ideal 
  • Planta.

That’s me for about 2 years if last time is anything to go by.
  • I’ve been running on average 3 times a week and it’s alarming how much I’ve deteriorated over this lockdown period. I think it’s a combination of not having usual intraday movement, putting on a few pounds, and not doing other things in the gym to get my heart rate going. 

Did a 5k last night where I wanted to push myself a bit. I ran 88% in my heart rate red zone 5, ave heart rate 170 / high 190, and really felt like I was striding out. 

Yet Was around 4 mins slower than what used to be a ‘normal 5k’ and 5 mins off my Parkrun PB. 

Was destroyed afterwards as well!
  • Had just started running again after last arthritis flare-up and managed to stuff my back! Not been able to do anything for a week, but at least it's given my knees time to recover. Hoping to get out tomorrow or later today to do a slow 5k.
  • Loss of Parkrun, as I was just getting back into it after nearly 6 months off following an op, was a huge blow to my efforts to 'be a better runner'..  Lockdown threw everything out of the window...but last week I made a commitment to get out 3 times a week and keep that going...  My circuit is just under 5km and I'm bloody slow (5.20 - 5.45 per km) but am now feeling more positive about it and will keep going...with the idea of adding speed and distance after a month or so of base at this level..  If anyone can recommend a good plan to get from an 'OK' 5km runner/shuffler up to an 'OK' 10km runner, I'd appreciate knowing about it...there seem to a be a lot out there and I just end up confused...  Thanks.
  • Loss of Parkrun, as I was just getting back into it after nearly 6 months off following an op, was a huge blow to my efforts to 'be a better runner'..  Lockdown threw everything out of the window...but last week I made a commitment to get out 3 times a week and keep that going...  My circuit is just under 5km and I'm bloody slow (5.20 - 5.45 per km) but am now feeling more positive about it and will keep going...with the idea of adding speed and distance after a month or so of base at this level..  If anyone can recommend a good plan to get from an 'OK' 5km runner/shuffler up to an 'OK' 10km runner, I'd appreciate knowing about it...there seem to a be a lot out there and I just end up confused...  Thanks.

I'm no faster than you, but my own plan to run a better 10k was basically to run it once a week, and run the 5k parkrun once a week. Did a timed 10k race in just under 55min, so about 5.30s per k, which isn't far off what I was running 5 k in! I guess the advice is to build up the distance to 10k, but also try to build up speed hitting the shorter distances. If I try to run 10k more than once in a week, I can't walk afterwards
  • got boiled going for a run tonight, seemed to be even hotter on Swanscombe marshes then the rest of Kent
  • Rothko said:
    got boiled going for a run tonight, seemed to be even hotter on Swanscombe marshes then the rest of Kent
    I've switched from going in the evening after I get home from work to getting out at around 06:45 and getting it done before I start. Took a bit of getting used to as I'm not, and never have been, a good morning runner* but it's so much cooler and more pleasant that time of day once I get going. Has the added bonus of the prom being reasonably quiet but it's still surprising the amount out and about that time of day.

*my training PB's are way, way better than the equivalent distance ran in a morning, during a race. Very annoyingly they rarely start races after 10:30 otherwise my running record would be a lot more respectable. 
  • First run for a few weeks planned for tomorrow after achilles injury.   Keeping fingers crossed it's good as have really missed running especially in lockdown.
  • Rothko said:
    got boiled going for a run tonight, seemed to be even hotter on Swanscombe marshes then the rest of Kent
    I've switched from going in the evening after I get home from work to getting out at around 06:45 and getting it done before I start. Took a bit of getting used to as I'm not, and never have been, a good morning runner* but it's so much cooler and more pleasant that time of day once I get going. Has the added bonus of the prom being reasonably quiet but it's still surprising the amount out and about that time of day.

*my training PB's are way, way better than the equivalent distance ran in a morning, during a race. Very annoyingly they rarely start races after 10:30 otherwise my running record would be a lot more respectable. 
    Yeah, I should learn, went out a couple of mornings ago and it was good, just I'm not a morning person in anyway, so struggle getting up and getting motivated to leave the house 
  • Sponsored links:

• I've found it really helps just setting your kit out the night before. Silly thing but it must trick the brain or something. Was on my kayak before 07:00 in the week too, which was great. 
  • I've found it really helps just setting your kit out the night before. Silly thing but it must trick the brain or something. Was on my kayak before 07:00 in the week too, which was great. 
    Did that, was out before 7.30, so all good, made a mistake with wearing a long sleeve top over my t-shirt, so sweated out a couple of extra grams 
  • First run for a few weeks planned for tomorrow after achilles injury.   Keeping fingers crossed it's good as have really missed running especially in lockdown.
    Just out of interest what was the issue with your achilles and what did you do to help it heal? Think I have tendinopathy in both of mine. Hasnt got any better in almost 2 months and frustrating as hell as I was enjoying my running this year
  • I've pretty much stopped running - find running on my own pretty dull, to be honest. That said, I've signed up to Run Around The World, a charity thing - https://runthings.co.uk/events/run-around-the-world/ - for next month, so I should get my arse back into gear at some point, really. 

Have been back on the bike, though, so swings and roundabouts. I'm looking forward to resuming my ever-so-gradual improvements when parkrun eventually restarts!
  • But need new shoes, my Brooks Launch 5 are wearing at the heel, and have constantly given me problems with me getting pins and needles in my feet after about 4k. Done loads to play with lacing etc. But not sure if I need to get a shoe with a wider toe box, I do run with an orthotic insole, so not sure if that is the problem. 

• Have you had your gait analysed? Found out I completely overpronated, so went for stiffer shoes, and really fixed my back, so might be something to consider
  • McBobbin said:
    Have you had your gait analysed? Found out I completely overpronated, so went for stiffer shoes, and really fixed my back, so might be something to consider
    Yeah, had it done when I brought the shoes and where I went to Podiatrist when I had the insoles made 
  • That's me fresh out of ideas then :) mine are ASICS gel Zone. Bit clumpy, but have decent grip so I can run on wet grass without falling over (hang your head in shame, Adidas pair). Hard to do now, but worth trying on a few pairs and just seeing how they fit.
  • I’m very close to getting the Allbirds Dashers, as the reviews as a running shoe have been really good, and I’m a tree hugger 
  • Sponsored links:

• @Rothko another option if the gait analysis alone didn't work for you is to get someone who really knows their stuff to also have a look at the wear pattern on your old shoes. They should be able to get a good idea from that of the type of shoe you need and give you a decent selection to try, but it really needs to be someone who knows what they're doing, not sports direct, sweatshop etc. Most shops should be back open Monday week
  • Cheers @rina, I got these ones in Runners Need, so hoped they did a good job, there used to be a great place in Victoria, but that’s now gone, so will look for a good place
  • Rothko said:
    Cheers @rina, I got these ones in Runners Need, so hoped they did a good job, there used to be a great place in Victoria, but that’s now gone, so will look for a good place

If you can mate, try and find an independent running shop.  You'll pay over the odds because they don't have the economies of scale but will likely know their onions and give a great service to ensure repeat business that a chain that possibly has staff who may be knowledgeable but to a point.

• Cheers all, any recommendations on stores? 
  • The Running  Hub in Southborough (near Tunbridge wells) is the one I use and I find them great. 

The owner is a seasoned runner of quite a good standard.

https://www.runninghub.co.uk/

Looks like they're open.
  • Cheers @RodneyCharltonTrotta, will check it out 
  • Rothko said:
    Cheers @rina, I got these ones in Runners Need, so hoped they did a good job, there used to be a great place in Victoria, but that’s now gone, so will look for a good place

If you can mate, try and find an independent running shop.  You'll pay over the odds because they don't have the economies of scale but will likely know their onions and give a great service to ensure repeat business that a chain that possibly has staff who may be knowledgeable but to a point.

yep, good advice. I could point you to a couple of good ones in NW London but that's probably no good for you
  • NW London is a bit far, but thank you. 

Found Run and Become in Victoria has a new location, so will try them out  as well
  • They offer this, so might try that out 

https://www.runandbecome.com/online-gait-analysis
  • Hex said:
    After what seems like years of nagging from Mrs Hex I have given in and joined her morning jog.  She does Parkrun in around 32mins but is recovering from a hip injury so is repeating Couch to 5k.  This morning was my first attempt and I survived.
    Today I completed the 2nd of the week 3 runs with no ill effects after a few knee issues in week 2.  So far, so good ....