Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Anyone got tips on running buggies? I need to have the freedom to run and it's become clear I am going to have to take the baby with me to obtain the time to get out. 
    Does this mean you intend to go running whilst pushing a baby in a buggy?
    Yeah you see plenty of parents doing it during a park run 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I only see them when they lap me...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Anyone got tips on running buggies? I need to have the freedom to run and it's become clear I am going to have to take the baby with me to obtain the time to get out. 
    Yeah you see plenty of parents doing it during a park run 
    Blimey. I've read on here about people running up grassy and muddy banks etc.
    I never knew they were pushing babies in buggies as well, amazing.
  • Options
    Not a fan of it personally 
  • Options
    Not a fan of it personally 
    Me neither. There's a guy at ours who keeps stopping to look for his family, then barges through everyone again. Repeatedly. I'd give anything for him to go under an overhanging branch and get taken out.
  • Options
    People running with kids in buggies with dogs attached are worse. Especially when they lap me. I think ok to run pushing a kid if not for park run though. My friend got a three wheeler Chunky wheel one off eBay but rarely used it and went back to finding other times to run without the kid. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Yep. Become the type of runner I have previously disliked, but now understand their plight. 
  • Options
    I was involved in putting on an actual real life 5k race last night. 48 runners got safely round. A huge amount of work was involved but it was totally worth it see an actual race taking place after so many months without any
  • Options
    rina said:
    I was involved in putting on an actual real life 5k race last night. 48 runners got safely round. A huge amount of work was involved but it was totally worth it see an actual race taking place after so many months without any
    Hopefully its the first of many that'll be done soon
  • Options
    Since 24th June I’ve managed just three runs. Golf has ate up any form of ‘me time’ I’ve created.

hoping to get out for a very slow plod after work tonight
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That was horrible. Ran a 5k and was 6 mins off PB!! Was grey, overcast and not hot yet really humid and I’ve sweat like I haven’t for a long time.

weighed myself Tuesday and run tonight. Setting myself target of 10lb loss and 3 mins improvement in a month. Need to challenge myself a bit. 
  • Options
    Parkrun announced today it will return in England by end-November 

Interested in the thoughts from those who participate? 
    Yeaaa great news!!... Its been a tough 2020 constantly training for nothing

Havent wanted to do the Virtual Events as its felt glorified training
  • Options
    Frightened

Not of the disease but of how long it will take me....
  • Options
    Can't wait to get back on it. Really don't know how it would work though, Chelmsford used to be rammed
  • Options
    Great news... I'll be shuffling around at Danson and my son will be scanning barcodes...
  • Options
    Really want to get back to it. Haven't really run at all in lockdown so will be really out of shape!
  • Options
    Happy days... I’m not a runner and never have been but been doing 5k 3 times a week since lockdown and loving it so will enjoy doing it with others!!
  • Options
    Seems like I’m in a minority of being unsure.

When you running and heart rate is high you must release breath through your mouth at least 1,000 times the velocity of when your walking.

Running close to 300-400 others all releasing the same feels like it carries quite a high level of risk to me. Does it not to you guys? When I go out running now I do my best not to get within 10ft of anyone else and further if I can.

I’m looking to be reassured 
  • Options
    No, I'm with you @AFKABartram ….but I'm just going to trust that it's coming back in some other form (who knows) and it'll be safe to take part...  If there's any uncertainty, then I'll have to give it some thought...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does seem a very avoidable risk when people can just jog themselves apart from others.  Even the exact same route at a different time should they wish to, and time themselves etc.
  • Options
    I’m so crap at it, it’s only really a danger for me at the start and the funnel I’d imagine, although I can social distance myself to the back at the start and I’ll be even slower so likely to arrive at an empty funnel but my time will be proper shocking...
  • Options
    Good news, gives me a target for next few weeks to aim for. Ill be doing Danson, after the start not many around me the speed I go.
  • Options
    I run a lot anyway so don’t really feel the need to run with hundreds of others but see why people miss parkrun. I’m not that paranoid about COVID now but wouldn’t do parkrun as I’ll leave my space for others that do want to do it
  • Options
    Seems like I’m in a minority of being unsure.

When you running and heart rate is high you must release breath through your mouth at least 1,000 times the velocity of when your walking.

Running close to 300-400 others all releasing the same feels like it carries quite a high level of risk to me. Does it not to you guys? When I go out running now I do my best not to get within 10ft of anyone else and further if I can.

I’m looking to be reassured 
    I believe that would put your breath somewhere significantly above hurricane force

I don't think you're in a minority at all. The races that I'm currently involved in are still starting in waves of 6 at a time which seems sensible, I can't see that mass starts are even close to being appropriate right now. I'm not going to be in the slightest bit surprised if they have to backtrack on this
  • Options
    Since working from home I really got into running before work - usually getting out for half hour at about 7:15. Now the mornings are a lot darker I'm a bit lost as to what to do, I can run for longer on Saturday and Sunday but struggle to find time in the week and I feel 3 or 4 short runs spread over the week is a lot better than 2 longer ones packed into the weekend.

What do others do over the winter?
  • Options
    Since working from home I really got into running before work - usually getting out for half hour at about 7:15. Now the mornings are a lot darker I'm a bit lost as to what to do, I can run for longer on Saturday and Sunday but struggle to find time in the week and I feel 3 or 4 short runs spread over the week is a lot better than 2 longer ones packed into the weekend.

What do others do over the winter?
    Try and build it as part of your lunchtime routine if you can, or if having to do post work, find a running buddy. I completely lose the motivation as the day goes on, but having a set appointment with someone else makes you feel you have to go through with it and you end up really grateful after as well that you did. I’ve always run on my own, but have changed things in the last month and never appreciated just how enjoyable it is with company and someone to have a natter with. 

Im mentally really enjoying running again but sadly my body is really struggling with it. 
  • Options
    Agreed entirely with AFKA- having someone to run with really does make it easier to get out of the door! 

• Options
    I quite like the isolation and being by myself, allows me to 'self edit' and clear my mind. I don't have to talk to anyone, I can be present, listen to what I want, explore where I want.

I've got into the habit now of not running the same route everytime, so I'll go down a road I've never been down etc, to mix it up and enjoy the freedom 
  • Options
    I've started running again after a 7 month injury break but moved it to a lunchtime 5km now. 2 reasons for that;  it gives me a reason to take a break from work and the other is that my body feels about 90 years old at 7am so it needs a bit of time to warm up for a run!