Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Since working from home I really got into running before work - usually getting out for half hour at about 7:15. Now the mornings are a lot darker I'm a bit lost as to what to do, I can run for longer on Saturday and Sunday but struggle to find time in the week and I feel 3 or 4 short runs spread over the week is a lot better than 2 longer ones packed into the weekend.

What do others do over the winter?
    Invest in a decent head torch or chest light. I switched to early morning running rather than after work to avoid the masses on the beaches in the summer. 

So far I'm keeping it up but agree it's not as easy when it's pitch black and raining outside. Today I was out by 06:45. I'm pretty disciplined about it but it is habit forming once you get past the initial "what am I doing!" stage. I'm still surprised by how many others are out and about stumbling around in the dark like me. 

If you can get past the inertia and get into it there are advantages - seeing the sun come up, feeling virtuous and not having the knowledge that you've still got your exercise to do later hanging over your working day whilst the rain is coming in horizontally.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    ...also the advantage of wearing a head torch when it's dark, foggy with a light drizzle like this morning is it looks like you're piloting the Millennium Falcon into hyperdrive. 
  • Options
    Cheers for the comments, I think forming a 'new' habit has to be the way forward. I had to really force myself the first couple of times I went before starting work (but settled into it really quickly) so just need to do that again whether it's running in the dark or going at lunch.

Not sure I could ever be bothered going after work but I can see how running with someone makes it a lot easier to get out the door. I thought that might be a good way to improve my fitness if someones there making me run further than I would otherwise.
  • Options
    Since working from home I really got into running before work - usually getting out for half hour at about 7:15. Now the mornings are a lot darker I'm a bit lost as to what to do, I can run for longer on Saturday and Sunday but struggle to find time in the week and I feel 3 or 4 short runs spread over the week is a lot better than 2 longer ones packed into the weekend.

Good to vary types of runs you do.   I do hill repeats during week when time or motivation is limited.  Use a short hill maybe 50 to 100m and run it 5-10 times  - Push the uphill pace above your regular speed, then slow jog back to start.  You can do this in under 30 mins.  
    warm up/down with slow 5 min run.  This will over time increase pace of your w/e longer runs.  
  • Options

Good to vary types of runs you do.   I do hill repeats during week when time or motivation is limited.  Use a short hill maybe 50 to 100m and run it 5-10 times  - Push the uphill pace above your regular speed, then slow jog back to start.  You can do this in under 30 mins.  
    warm up/down with slow 5 min run.  This will over time increase pace of your w/e longer runs.  
    Do you have any resources for creating a plan like this? Like the idea of varying the types of runs but would like it a little more structured so I feel like I know what I'm doing
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Currently doing Danson Park 3 times a week whilst gyms are shut.  So if you see a geeza in a charlton shirt and two knee supports around lunch time it’s more than likely me.

Mainly doing 5ks, my PB is 21:49 but I’m currently running at just over 23 so a lot of work to do.

Im also doing once a week, 4x1k with 90 seconds rest in between.  I’ve heard this helps speed up your 5ks but also it’s good for football, which I play Sunday league.

The park is so busy you end up dodging people a lot of the way, it’s nice WFH so you can go when it’s light however.
  • Options

There's plenty of stuff online.  A plan depends on your aims/objectives.  If I'm training for a race - plan will be geared to that race - shorter race ="faster"and shorter workouts etc.  I find that writing it down or recording a plan on spreadsheet etc helps me to focus.  Even if you are running for fitness etc then still good to set goals - times/distances etc.  Which becomes motivation in itself.  With any plan though, make it achievable/realistic. Good luck!  
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Currently doing Danson Park 3 times a week whilst gyms are shut.  So if you see a geeza in a charlton shirt and two knee supports around lunch time it’s more than likely me.

Mainly doing 5ks, my PB is 21:49 but I’m currently running at just over 23 so a lot of work to do.

Im also doing once a week, 4x1k with 90 seconds rest in between.  I’ve heard this helps speed up your 5ks but also it’s good for football, which I play Sunday league.

The park is so busy you end up dodging people a lot of the way, it’s nice WFH so you can go when it’s light however.
    The repeated faster intervals are fantastic. My Muay Thai team uses them a lot, as do a lot of amateur boxers that I know. They're a good way of implementing a faster/harder effort in, and pushing your heart rate a bit more than would be otherwise. In any sport like football or martial arts, where you aren't at a constant pace but rather fluctuating, intervals are a gift at helping push the pace when you need to!

Key is to use them sparingly, as they're more taxing and take a bit more recovery- hill work functions pretty similarly
  • Options

The repeated faster intervals are fantastic. My Muay Thai team uses them a lot, as do a lot of amateur boxers that I know. They're a good way of implementing a faster/harder effort in, and pushing your heart rate a bit more than would be otherwise. In any sport like football or martial arts, where you aren't at a constant pace but rather fluctuating, intervals are a gift at helping push the pace when you need to!
    Agreed, bombing it for shorter time is a lot tougher than slower prolonged time of running.  I’m no expert on the science of it all, I just go with the basic logic that if I’m red in the boat race and barely able to catch my breath it must be doing something!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done mate
  • Options
    Well done @Rothko. I've started running again in November but just doing 5km runs at the moment. Trying to get a new PB time to beat the one I set 7 years ago and then see if I can also get under 23 minutes. After that I'll be trying to up my distance as I've signed up for the Vitality half marathon in April. Something to focus on.
  • Options
    I have a place in that @AllHailTheHen will be good in the new year to have a target to motivate myself. Not convinced things like that will be going ahead in 4 months time though :-( 

• Options
    I think I’m going to go for an organised 10k later in 2021, doubt much will happen this side of May.

half marathon seems like a big ask
  • Options
    I have a place in that @AllHailTheHen will be good in the new year to have a target to motivate myself. Not convinced things like that will be going ahead in 4 months time though :-( 

Sadly I think you are right!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    If you have a look at Nice Work they organise loads of races (many "virtual" ones).  

They are really well organised and well run events in normal time (they manage many of the league races I run in) and are doing lots of virtual events in Covid times.

https://www.nice-work.org.uk/ 

Here's the direct link to the specific Virtual races section - https://www.nice-work.org.uk/virtual/home 
  • Options
    Desperately missed parkrun this year. Going to try and get back into it January with the aim of running 10k again. Not sure I'll get sun 55 min again but it's an aim
  • Options
    WTF is running?

Not getting any time to do it at the moment.
  • Options
    Does anyone have any experience with shin splints. I run fairly regularly but started encountering a sharp pain on the right hand side of my shin bone once I reach about 3-4km. 

I’m seeing a physio who believe it’s linked to have very tight calf muscles which he is sorting out but always good to hear stories of people who may have suffered similar for some tips 
  • Options
    jamescafc said:
    Does anyone have any experience with shin splints. I run fairly regularly but started encountering a sharp pain on the right hand side of my shin bone once I reach about 3-4km. 

I’m seeing a physio who believe it’s linked to have very tight calf muscles which he is sorting out but always good to hear stories of people who may have suffered similar for some tips 
    I purchased a massage gun which has helped with tight calf muscles
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc999 said:
    jamescafc said:

I purchased a massage gun which has helped with tight calf muscles
    Another massage gun user here.  I use mine to alleviate Achilles pain caused by a tight calf, but the same principle would apply for for shin splints. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I think I’m going to go for an organised 10k later in 2021, doubt much will happen this side of May.

Just spotted this comment from last month.  If you can run 10K you can run a half marathon.

• Options
    @jamescafc are your due new running shoes? May be that your running style wears away one side/ heel of the shoe. Similarly, if you do a fair bit of pavement running, make sure you vary the side of the road you run on so you are not always running on the same-sided gradient 
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Tight calf muscles can mean they are being overworked, due to weakness elsewhere.  As part of non running fitness program make sure you include core, quads, hamstring strengthening and plenty of stretching.  Good you got to see physio.  

AFKA makes a good point about shoes - get into habbit of checking wear patterns - do they match?  Don't run in worn out shoes.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

I constantly had issues with Shin Splints... Years ago when I went to the Gym I was advised to use one of these, balance on one foot at a time for however many seconds and it works a treat

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LL22JQI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_szCbGbJ7X0HNR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Just spotted this comment from last month.  If you can run 10K you can run a half marathon.

10k vs 22k is a very different challenge.

If you can't run 10k now find a program and work through that.

Once that's done find another programme from 10k to half marathon.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    On shin splints I suffered for years, then I went to a proper running shop and was set up with shoes after doing full gait and stride analysis.

Have it done every time I get shoes now.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Rothko said:

10k vs 22k is a very different challenge.

If you can't run 10k now find a program and work through that.

Once that's done find another programme from 10k to half marathon.
    I wouldn't suggest tackling any new challenge without a plan. However, Rothko has already done a 10k in under an  hour so I would say he's more than ready to go for the half.  
  • Options
    Thanks all, looks like I’m in the right track as bought new trainers last week (Asics with proper fitting) and am having physio who has one of those guns and is working on my core. Gun has been a big help so far but so much more painful than the foam roller. 
  • Options
    question for the runners who’ve had Covid, or returned to it after illness. How did you find getting back into it after?

My last run was mid-December, day before my positive test, so about 8 weeks ago. 

All Covid impacts are different but mine were heavily focused on fatigue / tiredness. Amongst my symptoms, my legs hurt very badly for about a fortnight, to the extent for a week of that I was literally unable to straighten my legs. 

That’s better now, my legs feel heavy but have stopped aching in the last fortnight but I still get breathlessness from walking and generally feel after a walk like I used to after a run. 

I’m desperate to start running again. I’ve put on a fair bit of weight from having such little movement over the last two months so feel desperate to do something again as I’m really starting to feel unfit and unhealthy. 

I know the best approach is to start really slowly for a very short distance and gradually build it up. But physically (and mentally) this has all knocked me for six and if I’m honest, although I’m desperate to start I’ve also got a fair bit of trepidation around it. Raised it when talking with doctor and all I got was you know your own body. 

Anyone else have similar concerns after recovering from illness?