Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Rothko said:
    Did the Nike Run Club app interval training thing today 8 x 1m at 5k effort, seemed pretty good, probably going to be a once a week thing
    8 metres in total is a bit much to do every week
  • The next one looks like this which I'll probably do next 

• How’s everyone’s running been going lately?
  • Luckily seemed to avoid any long term COVID complications and have been base building again after a very on-off year last year, its slow for me but has to be done. 

This week will have to be an easy week though, feel absolutely battered after 5 a side!
  • Non existant for months, trying to get myself back out there but currently struggling with a really bad back.

Is it June when Park Run is allowed to start back up?
    Been back doing okay pace wise, still struggle motivation wise. 
  • Non existant for months, trying to get myself back out there but currently struggling with a really bad back.

Is it June when Park Run is allowed to start back up?
    June 5th is when they plan to restart although they are allowed to start sooner I believe
  • Managed a 22 min 5k in the week my best so far this year, it was warmer which always helps me. 

Also did hill runs on shooters hill, highly recommend this, it will improve 5/10ks.  Run up from welling end decent pace, slow recover jog down the hill towards charlton, turn around and repeat many as possible, I managed 6.
    Wow, that’s some going 
  • Managed a 22 min 5k in the week my best so far this year, it was warmer which always helps me. 

Also did hill runs on shooters hill, highly recommend this, it will improve 5/10ks.  Run up from welling end decent pace, slow recover jog down the hill towards charlton, turn around and repeat many as possible, I managed 6.
    cant beat the old Shooters Hill reps.  Hard work but hugely beneficial.  You should try the Shooters Hill, Well Hall Road, Rochester Way, Weling Way loop if you live that way.

Can give you the Plunstead Runners Oxleas Wood cross country route, which has 4 climbs of the hill on each lap if you're interested.  Now that is bloody hard work.
  • Sponsored links:

• Since starting up again my legs feel like they’re going to explode doing just the most minimal of inclines 
  • Hoping to go out tomorrow. Ran couple of weeks ago and got my best time for a while so hopefully get the chance
  • Since starting up again my legs feel like they’re going to explode doing just the most minimal of inclines 
    Sounds like you need to focus on doing some quad stretches in any downtime. (Evenings etc). 
  • Taking an enforced break due to pain  with my IT band. Had been quite happily doing 5ks before that but started when I started upping my distances. Want it to clear up before I start training for the London marathon so got a bit of time
  • I was happily doing 5-7k until the virus knocked out February.  I Started some slow 2k jogs about 3 weeks back.  My knees objected slightly so I aborted a couple of runs but now they seem ok and up to 4k now.  Luckily restarting running has coincided with the local fields drying out which eases the impacts.  Mrs Hex was hit harder by the virus but she is redoing some Couch to 5k to avoid hip problems.  Easy does it is the rule at the moment.
  • Ran 6 times a week doing Race Europe and finished last Saturday with a half marathon. Probably overdid it a bit because I didn't even look up a training plan for it let alone stick to it but was nice to prove to myself that I could run that distance.

Will go back to 3 or 4 runs a week now and aim to build up to a Marathon maybe in the Autumn.
  • edited April 2021
    Hex said:
    I was happily doing 5-7k until the virus knocked out February.  I Started some slow 2k jogs about 3 weeks back.  My knees objected slightly so I aborted a couple of runs but now they seem ok and up to 4k now.  Luckily restarting running has coincided with the local fields drying out which eases the impacts.  Mrs Hex was hit harder by the virus but she is redoing some Couch to 5k to avoid hip problems.  Easy does it is the rule at the moment.
    Can’t emphasise that enough @Hex

I’m up to nearly 20 post Covid runs and still finding it hard. Keep persevering and don’t over challenge yourself 
  • Had a week off, foot pain wouldn’t go away, start again next week 
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Managed a 22 min 5k in the week my best so far this year, it was warmer which always helps me. 

cant beat the old Shooters Hill reps.  Hard work but hugely beneficial.  You should try the Shooters Hill, Well Hall Road, Rochester Way, Weling Way loop if you live that way.

Can give you the Plunstead Runners Oxleas Wood cross country route, which has 4 climbs of the hill on each lap if you're interested.  Now that is bloody hard work.
    Yeah sure mate send it over always good to get new ideas, trouble is I’m not gonna be doing as much now as I’m doing XI a side football again.
    Slowly being the answer. It's nice to be out and about and done by the time the masses hit the beaches but basically I'm just putting in junk miles 3 times a week. Averaging 8-12k a time. Helps to keep the lockdown weight off a little and clear the head but I need a goal to aim for. Maybe a half in the autumn or something. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2021
    How’s everyone’s running been going lately? 

I wasn’t doing great with it prior to lockdown as cold/wet/pre-BST etc but haven’t run at all since, been cycling and (when allowed) swimming instead... I will go back when it’s allowed (probably not on the first Saturday mind) but I imagine I’ll be at like 45 minutes for it then 😬
  • I went and tested the foot by going for a 10k tonight, not to bad and went sub hour again. Now what’s the best way to go from 10 to half marathon? 
  • February was good (for me), 2/3 times a week after pretty non existent running for a year. Came to a halt after first jab, but had my last run as a 64 year old on Friday on Ventnor Downs, beautiful, plus steepish descents and ascents. Generally only run about 5 miles max now when I persuade myself to get out!
  • Rothko said:
    I went and tested the foot by going for a 10k tonight, not to bad and went sub hour again. Now what’s the best way to go from 10 to half marathon? 
    Quite a leap, in the old days you could find the odd 10 mile race, but now I'm not sure... good luck.
  • If you’re running up Shooters Hill, the only way is via Plum lane, used to this for training for the London marathon. The best I did for a four mile run up & back was 24 minutes.

I remember the first time I did the run I was going to have a rest at the top of Plum lane, but there was a gang of kids there and I wasn’t going to have the piss taken out of me for breathing out of my arse.
  • If you’re running up Shooters Hill, the only way is via Plum lane, used to this for training for the London marathon. The best I did for a four mile run up & back was 24 minutes.

I remember the first time I did the run I was going to have a rest at the top of Plum lane, but there was a gang of kids there and I wasn’t going to have the piss taken out of me for breathing out of my arse.
    Plum Lane is evil, especially that steep middle section by the school on the right.
  • I've got back into running this year as a golf group I'm in started running during lockdown and egging each other on. Did my own half marathon today, wasn't particularly fast but I never thought I'd run that far again, especially without charity money encouraging me.

Think I'll read up on speed and intervals now & try faster 10Ks now, especially with the weather warming. Getting rid of the lockdown mop will help too.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/56891059

A 12-year-old Belfast girl says she just tries to "run as fast as I can" after producing a 5km road race time of 16 minutes and 40 seconds - a world record for her age.
  • I started running a few years ago using the couch to 5k app. Managed that and was hooked and built by distance's up to 10k on average. Last year I ran 100k over a month in June.

But! Doing the couch to 5k, the advice was to run slow, so it feels like you could go faster but don't. Since then I have always run slow on purpose and a 5k takes me around 30-35 mins. !0k in an hour.

I am 38 and 6 foot 1 and 13 stone so quite fit. Shall I just push myself to go faster and if so how?

I haven't run since August last year but did a slow run using the Nike app first guided run yesterday and felt good but i'd really like to get faster!

Has anyone got any tips for me how to accomplish that?