Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Bristol Rovers post match views

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Over in Crete at the moment so followed from afar yesterday and gleaning from here how it went. Sounds pretty good tbf. Slightly concerning is the striker situation but hopefully that will change and we go on to have a decent season. At least it seems Robinson is forging a bit of spirit amongst the players, no mean feat to win after playing the majority with ten on the pitch.
  • Options

You can never fairly approase a player on 20 minutes and it does seem he was following instructions. The circumstances were not normal either.

not judging by the way Jackson screamed at him after one lazy run.
  • Options
    That's what coaches do - btw - I think it was a goal - given because it was over the line before keeper pushed it onto post.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Not read the thread, but my take on yesterday was it was a definite Red for Novak a rash challenge when he didn't need to make one at all. Then the team had to dig in and despite a few hairy moments I thought we handled Rovers well. Baur was immense both at the back and upfront at set-pieces, DaSilva and Holmes worked well together and Fosu was really tricky, but his final pass was missing. Watched from the front of the East Stand near the half way line, not sat there in years, sadly it was very sparse around me but I understand why. Overall day out was good I met Dr Kish at halftime and had a a quick chat, I'll try and get to a few other games when I can. Only downside, as soon as I got out of my car, one hell of a storm started and I got absolutely soaked, took the rest of the afternoon for me to sit and watch the game and dry out!!
    Overall a good performance but we do need a back up, or better, to Novak and Mag, not getting carried away with the win, but there does seem to be a good spirit amongst the squad and KR. The end of game huddle and KR clapping the crowd reminded me of CP's passion.
  • Options

The Sky highlights show the fumble from Amos as well as the good save with his legs.

Have to say having watched the Ipswich game as well that I am not confident that Amos is the answer and really hope Martin can be signed.

Kashi is the best midfielder since Kinsella.

I mentioned that to my brother last week. If we can keep him long enough, he will be as valuable to us as Kins.
  • Options

That was utterly disgraceful. I have watched Charlton since 1966, and today ranks down there with the most spineless, weak, dim-witted, stupid performances of them all.

Firstly, it's completely wrong to play only one striker, especially at home. It's an admission of defensive defeat, even before the kick-off. Two good strikers will worry the opposing defenders – spark panic and havoc – and take the pressure off our congenitally weak midfield.

Novak is not a good striker; that was patently obvious on his debut at Welling this time last year. Neither quick nor physical; a lump. When he was sent off after 10 minutes today, here came the most idiotic managerial indecision in Charlton history.

As a manager, you would take off a midfielder and throw on a striker. Robinson played 80 minutes with the formation of 4-6-0. No-one at all up front. Nothing.

This is the man who signed Simon Church and Danny Green when they had palpably flopped. The man who relegated his team, below us.

This marvellous six-man midfield! With the exception of Holmes they are utterly vacuous. Our keeper – dodgy anyway, third choice at Bolton and failed on loan at Cardiff – hoofs a high ball, and during the trajectory we in the Covered End know our men will not win it.

None of our midfielders jump. Ball plops in absent space, Bristol Rovers set about another attack, getting round our flaky defence, swinging crosses in to the box.

Did we have a single shot on goal in the entire second half? No. A limp Holmes free-kick over the wall, easily saved.

From Cray Wanderers to Man City, football is about guts and fire: getting the ball in to the box with strength and precision. We are miles away. If we continue to play without a striker we'll get ripped apart from here to kingdom come.

always like to read your opinions, you're your own man and don't give a toss what anyone else thinks or writes about you .. BUT ... your arithmetic is awful .. one man sent off and we played (according to your stats) 4-6-0 .. f f s .. have a recount ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great spirit shown by the team, well done to players and Robbo, Jacko and Bowyer for that. Difficult to judge overall how the team will fare this season, but I am optimistic having seen the excellent Ipswich performance plus yesterday.
    Where will Ben Reeves fit into this team sheet? It would be hard to leave out any player from yesterday, Kashi is a must if he is fit, but Reeves is a quality player.
  • Options
    Colinp said:

Great spirit shown by the team, well done to players and Robbo, Jacko and Bowyer for that. Difficult to judge overall how the team will fare this season, but I am optimistic having seen the excellent Ipswich performance plus yesterday.
    Where will Ben Reeves fit into this team sheet? It would be hard to leave out any player from yesterday, Kashi is a must if he is fit, but Reeves is a quality player.

We can worry about Reeves when he is fit. He will only get injured if he plays too early.
  • Options

Don't understand keeping Watt and loaning out Igor.

I sure as hell don't like it, but I can well understand how it has happened. It's about the other club. They are the apple of RD's eye now. And from their point of view, knowing the track record of both players in Belgium, what would you say if you were told to send Igor back to the English 3rd division and take Watt instead? I don't know what the Dutch for "bollocks to that" is, but I expect it sounds pretty earthy. I must say also that, having seen Igor in that ST game when we were all there, I reckon he is glad to be there. He must regard his time with us as a nightmare. Unfortunately. I rate Igor and believe he will eventually furlfil the promise he showed in his first few months with us. Just not with us.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Having watched the highlights on Valley Pass, the red looked a lot worse from the east stand (similar to the refs viewpoint) and possibly the covered than from where I was and I'd be amazed if even half the ball crossed the line for the goal.
  • Options

Colinp said:

Blimey, a poster called Colin who doesn't talk BS. This really is a season of surprises.

(This is a longstanding joke regarding a previous poster who spoke absolute bollocks all the time).
    And still does on 'Into The Vol au Vent'........allegedly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had the same view as the ref and the challenge from Novak still looks stupid even if it wasn't as bad as I initially thought. You just don't make those sort of tackles anymore. 10/10 for game management by KR and for getting the players together at the end. Yes it's just one game but I was hugely impressed by the mentality of the players to do a job which meant neutralizing our attacking options.
  • Options

Can I add I'm worried about Solly. That was not a good 90 mins from him.

I thought he was excellent.

Remember they had an extra man and tried to widen the play by pushing players out on to the touchlines so both full backs had a lot of space to cover.

Also with 10 men there was rarely an easy pass on from full back.

He was aggressive and many some good forward runs too even very late in the game.
  • Options

Can I add I'm worried about Solly. That was not a good 90 mins from him.

I thought he was excellent.

Remember they had an extra man and tried to widen the play by pushing players out on to the touchlines so both full backs had a lot of space to cover.

Also with 10 men there was rarely an easy pass on from full back.

He was aggressive and many some good forward runs too even very late in the game.
    He certainly improved as the game went on but was for me uncharacteristically shaky.

In the closing period of the game when we were defending a late Bristol Rovers effort to equalise, on one occasion Solly was found as our most advanced player and was to be seen falling over in the Rovers six yard box. Rovers counter attacked and exploited the space left by Solly and created a chance to score.

I think when protecting a lead when you are down to 10 men and stretched its important for the back four at least to maintain shape. Under normal circumstances I like to see full backs getting into advanced positions but I thought yesterday that Solly in addition to the above example made quite a few poor choices.

He's still in huge credit for me but imho yesterday he was not great.

• Options
    1StevieG said:

I had the same view as the ref and the challenge from Novak still looks stupid even if it wasn't as bad as I initially thought. You just don't make those sort of tackles anymore. 10/10 for game management by KR and for getting the players together at the end. Yes it's just one game but I was hugely impressed by the mentality of the players to do a job which meant neutralizing our attacking options.

Agreed and an inspiring team effort.

From the East Stand halfway line Novak's challenge looked two footed and a Red card all day long, although it looked on the tele like studs were down.

It was, as you say, an insane challenge from a player who should instinctively avoid such things with his level of experience.

I have to admit that I was surprised and rather disappointed the way many CAFC fans cheered and applauded Novak when he walked as his actions were tantamount to commiting team suicide - he had no reason to make the challenge whatsoever.
  • Options
    purdis said:

1StevieG said:

Agreed and an inspiring team effort.

From the East Stand halfway line Novak's challenge looked two footed and a Red card all day long, although it looked on the tele like studs were down.

It was, as you say, an insane challenge from a player who should instinctively avoid such things with his level of experience.

I have to admit that I was surprised and rather disappointed the way many CAFC fans cheered and applauded Novak when he walked as his actions were tantamount to commiting team suicide - he had no reason to make the challenge whatsoever.
    That is my biggest issue with the Red Card - no need to make the challenge.
  • Options
    Interesting the perceptions on our goal. From Lower West the ball clearly was well over the line. No question.
  • Options
    when it's 'your season' decisions like that go your way. When it's not, they don't.