Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Bristol Rovers post match views

Comments

• Options

The cleaners will be sweeping up a lot of finger nails if I'm not mistaken.

I finished mine off with 20 mins left. I was down to the knuckle by the time the ref blew for time.
  • Options
    First league game for me for a while and I really enjoyed it!
    Fosu was impressive, Fashi was immense.
    Sending off looked harsh from where I was sitting.
    Didn't hear any protest songs at all from the NU, is everyone forgiving them now?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

PWR.

Lets get Bristol Rovers out of the way to start with. If anybody from the Bristol camp want to say 'yeah but this, yeah but that' they are deluded.

They played against a team with no striker, a team with ten men, for 80 odd minutes, yet Charlton thoroughly deserved to win, absolutely no argument, with flags out and knobs on it was a superb display. Simply excellent.

I have not seen any replays, so I don't know the ins and outs of our goal, and to me Novak was an idiot and deserved to go, but the way we reacted was astonishing. You prepare all week and everything changes with an early sending off, and the players have to think on their feet and adapt immediately. Maybe the sending off actually helped, because there was no complacency or looking for any excuses. We adapted with intelligence, phenomenal team work and a high level of pure skill and pure class. It felt good after Ipswich all right, but this feels better (if only to suggest Ipswich was no fluke) but we have the makings.

All right, we haven't played away yet, and we now have no Novak or Magennis, but it seems to me that we have a team at the moment who are all the things Karl Robinson has consistently said he is striving for. Attacking, skilled, great (almost on a Bournemouth level of telepathy) teamwork, positive and exciting. If we are going to get a season of this stuff we are going to enjoy ourselves. It is possible to take those generalisations from a game of particulars.

You could argue against the officials, not me personally, the goal was controversial at the time, and Bristol Rovers have a lot to do to sort their team and play out, but there were wonders to behold in moments and incidents everywhere.

Da Silva outjumped Bodin twice in the space of a minute first half, outjumped the bloke, Solly was so good you could take it for granted, yet here he was repeating that two way twist we saw against Ipswich, never failing in a one on one, bursting into the area where you could almost hear his thoughts zinging out of his head in the sheer magnificence of his work.

No player it seemed to me was lest than good, most very good, and several excellent. The keeper kept a clean sheet, early to judge him but he was there when needed. I have mentioned da Silva and Solly, Pearce was absolutely what was needed in the circumstances, and Bauer, goal notwithstanding was outstanding for every minute of the game.

I have been gushing so far so what is there left for both Kashi and JFC? You could argue that they were the game managers, who along with Clarke who adapted the most quickly to the sending off and sorted the team out. No hiding from JFC or Clarke, and I counted just the one poor ball from Clarke in the whole game. Seriously guys tho, am I smitten by man love, or was Kashi plain and simple brilliant? if you see another player better than Kashi in this league this season then Fleetwood would have signed Messi.

Then we have Holmes and Fosu. Bristol Rovers simply found both unplayable, and where the midfield sorted the coping mechanisms after the set back, it was Holmes and Fosu who turned damage limitation into a win. People might have thought after 25 minutes or so 'would you take a point now?' but not Holmes or Fosu, and by osmosis the rest of the team. No way was a single point good enough for them or for Charlton today, it was almost a rollercoaster three juicy points or die trying.

One swallow and all that, but Robinson and the coaching team have indicated that they have the wherewithall, they now need the backing...especially from the board, because the fans were excellent this afternoon.

Excellent review.

I'd add that Amos was lucky today & got away with a number of errors.
    I love Solly, but he looked slow and his passing wasn't great at times.
    Watt was apalling.
    Fosu edged Kashi as MOM and both were brilliant.

I don't remember as big a home crowd last season (actually there as opposed to announced). The Upper North had twice as many as last season (seemed to me). It was the best atmosphere and most satisfying win for years.
    One swallow doesn't make a summer, but whatever it means, it felt to me like we have our Charlton back.

All we need is RD to strengthen and please not weaken the squad in the next 3 weeks and a few more fans to join the feel good factor and we may be cooking on gas :wink:
  • Options
    Re the sending off the lino didn't flag at all for Novaks challenge when he was reasonably close and his flag definitely worked , just look at our goal !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Could be a hard season for Bristol Rovers if that's the best they've got. Couldn't string two passes together.

Well we should be more worried about ourselves then... Rovers were tipped to finish 4th, we were tipped to finish 13th

If everyone thinks we're worse than them, how much of a dip do we need to have ;)
    Tipped by who ? We are 6th/7th favourites & Rovers are 12th, with the average bookie.
  • Options
    We played very well. With 11 I think we would have got 2 or 3. Our passing and slowing the game down at crucial times I thought was excellent today. We now have the players who can make nice simple passes and get the opposition to chase the ball. Basically we more or less controlled the game throughout. I don't think we were really troubled.

Kashi, Fosu, Holmes, DaSilva and Bauer were excellent I thought. Amos was a bit dodgy in my opinion. Looked like he was lacking confidence and didn't look the answer. Giving him the benefit of the doubt he may improve with confidence. And I thought Tony Watt was a total waste of space. I think he's being found out with better players around him.

Overall an excellent performance with 10 men.
  • Options
    Just got in. Last home Game I went to was beginning of season before last. I have being boycotting Charlton games for several years now more because of the shit football that was on offer rather than anything to do with Roland. Today was an excellent footballing performance. I was sitting in the upper West on the centre line. Not seen any replays yet but at the time I thought it was a strange way to make a tackle. Not reckless but I could understand why the red card was issued. Really looking forward to how we do with 11 players on the field for 90 minutes. Just don't get Tony Watt. There was no captain out there today. We desperately need a vocal captain in central defence or central midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can I add I'm worried about Solly. That was not a good 90 mins from him.
  • Options

That performance was about good coaching and team spirit. That's all down to Robinson.

I look forward to my trip to Plymouth next week where I hope to see the fruits of 11 players not 10.

Massive credit to KR.

One of the most technical and enterprising Charlton performances for several years combined with no small amount of grit.

I wonder how much Lee Bowyer had to to with the improvement.
  • Options

That was utterly disgraceful. I have watched Charlton since 1966, and today ranks down there with the most spineless, weak, dim-witted, stupid performances of them all.

Firstly, it's completely wrong to play only one striker, especially at home. It's an admission of defensive defeat, even before the kick-off. Two good strikers will worry the opposing defenders – spark panic and havoc – and take the pressure off our congenitally weak midfield.

Novak is not a good striker; that was patently obvious on his debut at Welling this time last year. Neither quick nor physical; a lump. When he was sent off after 10 minutes today, here came the most idiotic managerial indecision in Charlton history.

As a manager, you would take off a midfielder and throw on a striker. Robinson played 80 minutes with the formation of 4-6-0. No-one at all up front. Nothing.

This is the man who signed Simon Church and Danny Green when they had palpably flopped. The man who relegated his team, below us.

This marvellous six-man midfield! With the exception of Holmes they are utterly vacuous. Our keeper – dodgy anyway, third choice at Bolton and failed on loan at Cardiff – hoofs a high ball, and during the trajectory we in the Covered End know our men will not win it.

None of our midfielders jump. Ball plops in absent space, Bristol Rovers set about another attack, getting round our flaky defence, swinging crosses in to the box.

Did we have a single shot on goal in the entire second half? No. A limp Holmes free-kick over the wall, easily saved.

From Cray Wanderers to Man City, football is about guts and fire: getting the ball in to the box with strength and precision. We are miles away. If we continue to play without a striker we'll get ripped apart from here to kingdom come.

4-6-0. Who played in goal?

1+4+6=11!!!!
  • Options
    Delighted with the win, sounded a brilliant performance through Valley pass commentary.

We are still lacking 3/4 players in the squad. Hopefully, the old man in Belgium will allow those signings.

Another striker is an absolute must.
  • Options
    You can never fairly approase a player on 20 minutes and it does seem he was following instructions. The circumstances were not normal either.