Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Bristol Rovers post match views

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2017

We won with ten men and the best some can post is watt is shit let's look at the positives in this it's a much better way to view life in general.

Get in you beauty's

But he was shit!! Most comments on here state that the 10 starters who remained on the pitch did very well but Novak was stupid and watt was shit. That's a pretty fair reflection.

I love watt but he made it all so easy for the critics today
  • Options
    Really impressed today, so much more effort than last season and if Magennis was in the side today and we had stayed with 11 men I think we would have battered them.

Kashi is a different gravy in this league but in Silva, Holmes and Fosu I think we have some of the best players in the league, just need to keep them fit.

I think Watt was being told not to go past the half way line and double up as midfield but it didn't excuse the lack of closing down players near him.

Really fancy us this season though just wouldn't mind one more striker to replace Watt or Novak.
  • Options

The cleaners will be sweeping up a lot of finger nails if I'm not mistaken.

The way we defended I was at no point worried. Rovers were all huff and no puff.
  • Options
    Could be a hard season for Bristol Rovers if that's the best they've got. Couldn't string two passes together.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who tuned in on Valley Pass today!

For the match itself, the defensive core of Bauer, Pearce, Kashi and JFC were simply outstanding. Bristol Rovers couldn't play through them, hence most of their "half" chances coming from wide areas.

A totally different performance to last week, yet we saw another side to this Charlton team. But we can't stop here. We need more players still.

Let's hope the club show just how much everyone wants promotion.
  • Options

Could be a hard season for Bristol Rovers if that's the best they've got. Couldn't string two passes together.

Well we should be more worried about ourselves then... Rovers were tipped to finish 4th, we were tipped to finish 13th

If everyone thinks we're worse than them, how much of a dip do we need to have ;)
  • Options

And well done to the West stand ball boy for doing as he was told.

Pray tell us
    Robbo told him* not go after the ball for a Rovers throw in. So he sat with his arms folded.

* obviously I didn't hear but he spoke to the boy then gave him the thumbs up after he'd ignored the ball.
  • Options

Pray tell us
    Robbo told him* not go after the ball for a Rovers throw in. So he sat with his arms folded.

* obviously I didn't hear but he spoke to the boy then gave him the thumbs up after he'd ignored the ball.
    He actually got the ball and then put it at the player's feet as Robbo had done earlier. Was quite funny - got a big grin and thumbs up from Robbo - was a nice moment!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good to see the result, just seen the goal, doesn't get given in Premier League or Championship, so good work the guessing lino
  • Options
    To play with 10 men after 5 minutes and to keep the ball for that long was excellent today.Totally in control until Robinson brought that unfit lump up front with 20 to go. My god, he was blowing out of his arse within 10 minutes and a better side would have taken advantage of it. Fortunately Bristol Rovers were Shit.

• Options
    cafc-west said:

Pray tell us

He actually got the ball and then put it at the player's feet as Robbo had done earlier. Was quite funny - got a big grin and thumbs up from Robbo - was a nice moment!
    Haha that's what I thought I saw happening from the NU but wasn't too sure. Made me laugh at the time. I thought we did a lot of time wasting in the last 15 and couldn't believe the ref didn't take action
  • Options
    Was the attendance at this "rocking Valley"?
  • Options
    Stig said:

Wow, when did we last take a lead with just ten men and hold it for 52 minutes?

Bolton away. last season ?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Battling performance but at least we held on. Not as impressed as many of our supporters seem to be.

Amos looked very poor - what are his strengths?
  • Options

ross1 said:

Must be very frustrating for the rest of the players, to be giving everything, because they are one player down, then Watt comes on and plays like he is not interested

I don't think the problem with watt is interest or even weight, he has lost confidence and is now shit!! The attempted pass to ahern-grant can be likened to a golfer with the yips.
    Watt's team mates, especially F-Caskey and Holmes were giving him stick from the moment he came on .. get up the fucking field and run about .. .. during an injury break when the players were over by the technical area having a drink, Watt stood a little distance apart looking disinterested in what Robinson was instructing .. seems that not just the fans have had him well past the neckline ...

all in all a wonder show from the team against a decent Pirates outfit .. crisp passing, incisive running, brave defending, it's all been said above

Kashi !! .. a whole new spectrum to our game, seems Holmes, F-Caskey, Clarke, all our players love playing with him for the calm, common sense and sheer ability he brings ....

Great performance .. just keep it up you Addicks !!!!!!

btw .. the sending off was harsh, but I can see why the referee took extreme action .. pity for Novak, he'd started well and was putting himself about .. TOOOO much obviously
  • Options
    We are going up
    We are going up
  • Options
    Noticed Kashi was the first Charlton player in the ruck to stop them getting to Novak
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not being at the game, I have to rely on the posts I'm reading. Novak may be just Charlton's most unluckiest player - or he could be judged as one of Charlton's poorest performers, who has an unfortunate knack of "cocking-up" in the few games he's played in. Either way, he is proving to be a liability. Slade and now KR include him in their squads presumably 'cos in training he must impress. Hope I'm proved wrong, but I can't see him as an option if McGinnis is out of the side.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

TW seems shot as a player sadly

Send him to Edinburgh City! Scottish league 2 level !
  • Options
    seth plum said:

PWR.

Lets get Bristol Rovers out of the way to start with. If anybody from the Bristol camp want to say 'yeah but this, yeah but that' they are deluded.

They played against a team with no striker, a team with ten men, for 80 odd minutes, yet Charlton thoroughly deserved to win, absolutely no argument, with flags out and knobs on it was a superb display. Simply excellent.

I have not seen any replays, so I don't know the ins and outs of our goal, and to me Novak was an idiot and deserved to go, but the way we reacted was astonishing. You prepare all week and everything changes with an early sending off, and the players have to think on their feet and adapt immediately. Maybe the sending off actually helped, because there was no complacency or looking for any excuses. We adapted with intelligence, phenomenal team work and a high level of pure skill and pure class. It felt good after Ipswich all right, but this feels better (if only to suggest Ipswich was no fluke) but we have the makings.

All right, we haven't played away yet, and we now have no Novak or Magennis, but it seems to me that we have a team at the moment who are all the things Karl Robinson has consistently said he is striving for. Attacking, skilled, great (almost on a Bournemouth level of telepathy) teamwork, positive and exciting. If we are going to get a season of this stuff we are going to enjoy ourselves. It is possible to take those generalisations from a game of particulars.

You could argue against the officials, not me personally, the goal was controversial at the time, and Bristol Rovers have a lot to do to sort their team and play out, but there were wonders to behold in moments and incidents everywhere.

Da Silva outjumped Bodin twice in the space of a minute first half, outjumped the bloke, Solly was so good you could take it for granted, yet here he was repeating that two way twist we saw against Ipswich, never failing in a one on one, bursting into the area where you could almost hear his thoughts zinging out of his head in the sheer magnificence of his work.

No player it seemed to me was lest than good, most very good, and several excellent. The keeper kept a clean sheet, early to judge him but he was there when needed. I have mentioned da Silva and Solly, Pearce was absolutely what was needed in the circumstances, and Bauer, goal notwithstanding was outstanding for every minute of the game.

I have been gushing so far so what is there left for both Kashi and JFC? You could argue that they were the game managers, who along with Clarke who adapted the most quickly to the sending off and sorted the team out. No hiding from JFC or Clarke, and I counted just the one poor ball from Clarke in the whole game. Seriously guys tho, am I smitten by man love, or was Kashi plain and simple brilliant? if you see another player better than Kashi in this league this season then Fleetwood would have signed Messi.

Then we have Holmes and Fosu. Bristol Rovers simply found both unplayable, and where the midfield sorted the coping mechanisms after the set back, it was Holmes and Fosu who turned damage limitation into a win. People might have thought after 25 minutes or so 'would you take a point now?' but not Holmes or Fosu, and by osmosis the rest of the team. No way was a single point good enough for them or for Charlton today, it was almost a rollercoaster three juicy points or die trying.

One swallow and all that, but Robinson and the coaching team have indicated that they have the wherewithall, they now need the backing...especially from the board, because the fans were excellent this afternoon.

Leaves me with a warm glow
  • Options
    And what a cheating git number 24 was, down like he had a broken leg , straight up after the
    sending off, plus his team mates over reaction to the challenge.
    He played out the rest of the game with no ill effects to the challenge, so well done, he must
    feel proud of himself tonight.
  • Options
    Shrew said:

Stig said:

Wow, when did we last take a lead with just ten men and hold it for 52 minutes?

Bolton away. last season ?
    AND the game had the best CAFC goal I saw last season .. Byrne after F-Caskey's long run and pinpoint pass
  • Options
    cblock said:

And what a cheating git number 24 was, down like he had a broken leg , straight up after the
    sending off, plus his team mates over reaction to the challenge.
    He played out the rest of the game with no ill effects to the challenge, so well done, he must
    feel proud of himself tonight.

Like I said, the modern game is very different nowadays

What annoyed me was it was a desperate tackle but it absolutely wasn't a dangerous one and as soon as Novak lunged I knew he was off. Huge difference between a cowards speeding shin snapper to the one today.

Don't get me wrong, at first amd only glance I could be wrong and it looks terrible on tv replay but I don't think it was bad, don't expect modern day players not to be theatrical though mate. As upsetting as we both clearly find that