Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Bristol Rovers post match views

167891012»

Comments

• Options

Can anyone explain why there was a stream? Will there be one for all games?

New Football League service. Online streaming of every game for every club that signed up for the service.

Charlton are the only club in League One that didn't sign up (surprise, surprise) so people paid for a match pass via the Bristol Rovers site to watch the stream that way.
    Hadn't realised that cheers! Surely the service is likely to negatively affect attendences across the EFL?
    It's meant to only be available outside of the UK.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    SDAddick said:

New Football League service. Online streaming of every game for every club that signed up for the service.

Charlton are the only club in League One that didn't sign up (surprise, surprise) so people paid for a match pass via the Bristol Rovers site to watch the stream that way.
    To be fair, the reason why we aren't signed up for it is because the club developed a website on their own, and with that a new "player" system called "Valley Pass." Because they no longer use the identikit website, they are not eligible to use the streaming service. They made the right decision to go away from the awful identikit websites that the rest of the league have, and I doubt they knew that by doing so they would lose the ability to stream the video for matches given the decision was seemingly made a year ago.

I spent a lot of time on the Bristol Rovers and "iFollow" (streaming video service that replace the "Player" service and also provides highlights and audio commentary for those in the UK) websites on Saturday and I can tell you that even though they've had a revamp, they're still pretty shit. The club did the right thing by branching out to build a better website, and it's just shit luck that this year the EFL got it together to add streaming video to their offerings.

We can blame Charlton and the SMT for a lot of bad decisions, but this seems like a good decision that turned out to be unlucky for those of us outside the UK who would like to watch the games streaming.
    It wouldn't be difficult to turn the current system into a streaming service. ITN does that sort of stuff all the time.

Did you know ITN Productions are responsible for all the EFL match coverage? So presumably the live streaming that we would have had, had we gone for the identikit (crap) website model.

They've also just won the contract for all IAAF athletic coverage, including World Champs.

It's my last day as a cameraman at ITN on Thursday. I'me retiring after 40 years. Should be able to get to more matches, Mrs D willing!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

SDAddick said:

To be fair, the reason why we aren't signed up for it is because the club developed a website on their own, and with that a new "player" system called "Valley Pass." Because they no longer use the identikit website, they are not eligible to use the streaming service. They made the right decision to go away from the awful identikit websites that the rest of the league have, and I doubt they knew that by doing so they would lose the ability to stream the video for matches given the decision was seemingly made a year ago.

I spent a lot of time on the Bristol Rovers and "iFollow" (streaming video service that replace the "Player" service and also provides highlights and audio commentary for those in the UK) websites on Saturday and I can tell you that even though they've had a revamp, they're still pretty shit. The club did the right thing by branching out to build a better website, and it's just shit luck that this year the EFL got it together to add streaming video to their offerings.

We can blame Charlton and the SMT for a lot of bad decisions, but this seems like a good decision that turned out to be unlucky for those of us outside the UK who would like to watch the games streaming.
    It wouldn't be difficult to turn the current system into a streaming service. ITN does that sort of stuff all the time.

Did you know ITN Productions are responsible for all the EFL match coverage? So presumably the live streaming that we would have had, had we gone for the identikit (crap) website model.

They've also just won the contract for all IAAF athletic coverage, including World Champs.

It's my last day as a cameraman at ITN on Thursday. I'me retiring after 40 years. Should be able to get to more matches, Mrs D willing!
    I did not know any of that, thanks for the information and congratulations on the retirement.

I have vague memories of someone saying they spoke to the lads on the media team and apparently "going it alone" when it came to the streaming service was not fiscally feasible. I'd be curious to know if they have the ability to "switch on the feed" or if there are licensing/collective bargaining things with the EFL that might need to be sorted and if you have any insight into that.
  • Options
    Carter said:

I was there on a gratis today and won't see us again until the next away game I attend or if we get a game on the tv but we played well and if Bauer and Pearce stay fit, we keep Kashi fit and signed on for us along with Forster-Caskey we have a decent base to build on.

Belgians out, soon. However I'm a Charlton fan first and foremost, the support was intersting today and I've got to say, a lot of those amongst us have short memories but maybe that's just the world we live in today

If you are a true supporter of the team attend matches instead of some weird (but not unique) boycot.
  • Options
    Or weird but not unique spelling of boycott ;0)
  • Options

Or weird but not unique spelling of boycott ;0)

You got it to a T :-)
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

JamesSeed said:

SDAddick said:

I did not know any of that, thanks for the information and congratulations on the retirement.

I have vague memories of someone saying they spoke to the lads on the media team and apparently "going it alone" when it came to the streaming service was not fiscally feasible. I'd be curious to know if they have the ability to "switch on the feed" or if there are licensing/collective bargaining things with the EFL that might need to be sorted and if you have any insight into that.
    None at all, and I only have one day to find out!
    It's sure to be complicated though. I suspect the EFL would want a share of the Valley Pass proceeds for a start.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

SDAddick said:

It wouldn't be difficult but would be very very expensive with the cost that the EFL quoted us to use the ITN camera which is the reason why none of the EFL club's who have left EFL digital group (that I know of) are paying to take an ITN camera feed. There's also additional encryption costs onto our website which the EFL will make you pay per match so you need a large amount of subscribers just to break even on the service. It's something we are looking into and if demand is strong enough we will look towards what we can do in the future.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

SDAddick said:

Enjoy your retirement JamesSeed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:

JamesSeed said:

SDAddick said:

Enjoy your retirement JamesSeed
    this
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

SDAddick said:

It wouldn't be difficult but would be very very expensive with the cost that the EFL quoted us to use the ITN camera which is the reason why none of the EFL club's who have left EFL digital group (that I know of) are paying to take an ITN camera feed. There's also additional encryption costs onto our website which the EFL will make you pay per match so you need a large amount of subscribers just to break even on the service. It's something we are looking into and if demand is strong enough we will look towards what we can do in the future.
    I thought Roland gets a Live feed of all our games? Couldn't this just be extended?