Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Bristol Rovers post match views

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:

So much to enjoy. I have't seen us play for neatly two years and after yhe huge queue for tickets, that was a great afternoon. Novsk made a silly challenge and red was always a possibility, and I thought the ovation he got was indeserved. This wad followed by the best period for the Gasmen, and they could have gone ahead, but we clawed our way into it, with some hard work and neat passing, and took a well earned lead
    Kashi was immense, loved Holmes and Fosu, but there wasn't a duff performance for me. I watched Watt and got the impression he was under instructions from KR, and followed them to the letter. He DID look knackered, but while his style may irritate, he made the one poor pass after being drafted into a tough situation. Let it go.
    Finally, I enjoyed KR exorting the fans to make some noise. Tension imposed a bit of quiet, but that was a good atmousphere. And I walked out very happy with our new squad. Early days but there is every reason today to be optimistic.

Why was there such a long queue for tickets?
    There were long queues long before the start of the game and there were also staff walking alongside these selling tickets for cash sales to try and reduce them. Guess that most decided to rock up on the day instead of buying on line.
    Yes that's what I'd normally do, better to get there early I suppose and go to the pub after getting tickets sorted.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Bristol Rovers' manager. Apparently they opened us up a few times and should have got something out of the game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=alXSxQtLFcI&app=desktop#t=3.271522
  • Options

sam3110 said:

sam3110 said:

That was utterly disgraceful. I have watched Charlton since 1966, and today ranks down there with the most spineless, weak, dim-witted, stupid performances of them all.

Firstly, it's completely wrong to play only one striker, especially at home. It's an admission of defensive defeat, even before the kick-off. Two good strikers will worry the opposing defenders – spark panic and havoc – and take the pressure off our congenitally weak midfield.

Novak is not a good striker; that was patently obvious on his debut at Welling this time last year. Neither quick nor physical; a lump. When he was sent off after 10 minutes today, here came the most idiotic managerial indecision in Charlton history.

As a manager, you would take off a midfielder and throw on a striker. Robinson played 80 minutes with the formation of 4-6-0. No-one at all up front. Nothing.

This is the man who signed Simon Church and Danny Green when they had palpably flopped. The man who relegated his team, below us.

This marvellous six-man midfield! With the exception of Holmes they are utterly vacuous. Our keeper – dodgy anyway, third choice at Bolton and failed on loan at Cardiff – hoofs a high ball, and during the trajectory we in the Covered End know our men will not win it.

None of our midfielders jump. Ball plops in absent space, Bristol Rovers set about another attack, getting round our flaky defence, swinging crosses in to the box.

Did we have a single shot on goal in the entire second half? No. A limp Holmes free-kick over the wall, easily saved.

From Cray Wanderers to Man City, football is about guts and fire: getting the ball in to the box with strength and precision. We are miles away. If we continue to play without a striker we'll get ripped apart from here to kingdom come.

Just seen this.

Give up mate, either on these posts or on Charlton in general, because it seems your brain has given up already.

Never have I read so much tosh in one post
    Sam, i think it was a bit tongue-in-cheek mate.
    Having read through previous "efforts" by Viewfinder, I don't think it is
    OK, thats certainly the way i took it anyway.
    No, he always posts similar nonsense but this was a classic.
  • Options
    Is he related to Nomadic Addick per chance?
    Oops , did i really say that ?
  • Options
    After a very eventful day yesterday, I finally get the chance to write on here. A fantastic performance with essentially 10 men for the whole game. We restricted them to very little and I didn't ever believe we would've conceded. Whether it was a goal or not, I think our play, determination and character shown deserved us for all 3 points.

I've got to say though, this really does have to makings of a great team for this league. The spine looks strong.
    Pearce - already won League One before, his leadership and experience is key.
    Bauer - should really be a good defender in this division, still very young too.
    Konsa - has great potential to be a classy player.
    Kashi - although he hasn't played for such a long time, he has to ability to be the best in the league.
    Forster-Caskey - still young and if he continues to add goals to his game, can be a very valuable player for us.
    Clarke - technically very good in my opinion, his unselfish nature could provide Magennis with plenty of goals this season.
    Reeves - one his day, is the best number 10 in the league, haven't obviously seen him in a Charlton shirt yet but he could be a fantastic player for us.
    Magennis - strong, good in the air, quick for a big man, and technically better than what people give him credit for. If he could score 20 this season, unplayable.

All of this and you still got to add in Solly, Dasilva, Marshall, Holmes, Fosu. Best right and left sides in the league, potentially.

I know I've only really named our first team and we need a few more to help the squad, but it's looking much stronger than we have been for a quite while. Keep the key players, keep the spine and add 3 more, and we look very strong.
  • Options

purdis said:

Having watched the highlights on Valley Pass, the red looked a lot worse from the east stand (similar to the refs viewpoint) and possibly the covered than from where I was and I'd be amazed if even half the ball crossed the line for the goal.

Will maybe make up for Bauer's perfectly good goal against Millwall last season that was disallowed by a crap ref?
    No, not in any way does a goal v Bristol Rovers make up for a goal v Millwall : - ()
    Sentiments understood, Henry.
    Last season's gone and consigned to the history books - these 3 points gained by a 'controversial' goal may be the difference between success and failure at the top of the table cum season's end - hopefully.

• Options
    Mike said:

Looking on the Bristol rovers forum someone has emailed the FA saying Kashi spat in sinclairs beard to try and get him banned....sour grapes

It wasn't Kashi it was Pearce, and looks like it
  • Options

Bristol Rovers' manager. Apparently they opened us up a few times and should have got something out of the game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=alXSxQtLFcI&app=desktop#t=3.271522

What a sore loser. Should be charged for his comments about the linesman. I have looked at our goal a few times and it appears to me that the goalkeeper pushes the ball outwards - and onto the post. The linesman is the only person looking along the line in the stadium and is the best person to judge. He does not need to guess.

He should be more concerned with why our player was given the freedom of the penalty area and why his team carved out so few chances against 10 men. "Good possession". No shit sherlock!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Couple of Robinson reaction bits from yesterday
  • Options

Is he related to Nomadic Addick per chance?
    Oops , did i really say that ?

Don't think so but I do know who is related to Nomadic Addick :wink:
  • Options
    edited August 2017
  • Options
    Mike said:

Looking on the Bristol rovers forum someone has emailed the FA saying Kashi spat in sinclairs beard to try and get him banned....sour grapes

There is no way that the FA will investigate a complaint made by a fan. If the player himself were to complain, that would be different...
  • Options
    Are we on Sky in the near future?
  • Options

ross1 said:

Cup game on Tuesday, can play KAG, not important, it is next Saturday that counts

I'd play Watt. I believe he has it in him, at least as a makeshift, but looks really low on confidence to me. Needs some match time if possible.
    Don't agree at all that he's low on confidence. He is the epitome of one of those people who think that they are a lot better than they actually are! You get them in every workplace; the type of arrogant individual who believes solely in self-publicity and doesn't listen to the feedback/advice given by those around them.

His display yesterday was shameful in all honesty. It was summed up near the end when he failed to play KAG clean through, lost the ball, then proceeded to blame KAG. He then continued the debate at the final whistle.

There clearly is something in there somewhere but unless he really is ready to listen to those coaches around him (who will know better and who will offer good, solid advice), he will continue to slip further into obscurity having never really unlocked his full potential.
  • Options

Rob said:

Interesting the perceptions on our goal. From Lower West the ball clearly was well over the line. No question.

When in your opinion was it over the line - before or after the keeper got a hand to it?
    Before. It went over and then it came out. Like it hit the inside side netting and then came out except that couldn't have happened (could it?) so I think their goalie scooped it back or something like that. From where we were it was so obviously a goal that we were celebrating before we realized that the ref was thinking about it but then at the same moment he gave it so we kept on celebrating.

• Options
    se9addick said:

sam3110 said:

sam3110 said:

That was utterly disgraceful. I have watched Charlton since 1966, and today ranks down there with the most spineless, weak, dim-witted, stupid performances of them all.

Firstly, it's completely wrong to play only one striker, especially at home. It's an admission of defensive defeat, even before the kick-off. Two good strikers will worry the opposing defenders – spark panic and havoc – and take the pressure off our congenitally weak midfield.

Novak is not a good striker; that was patently obvious on his debut at Welling this time last year. Neither quick nor physical; a lump. When he was sent off after 10 minutes today, here came the most idiotic managerial indecision in Charlton history.

As a manager, you would take off a midfielder and throw on a striker. Robinson played 80 minutes with the formation of 4-6-0. No-one at all up front. Nothing.

This is the man who signed Simon Church and Danny Green when they had palpably flopped. The man who relegated his team, below us.

This marvellous six-man midfield! With the exception of Holmes they are utterly vacuous. Our keeper – dodgy anyway, third choice at Bolton and failed on loan at Cardiff – hoofs a high ball, and during the trajectory we in the Covered End know our men will not win it.

None of our midfielders jump. Ball plops in absent space, Bristol Rovers set about another attack, getting round our flaky defence, swinging crosses in to the box.

Did we have a single shot on goal in the entire second half? No. A limp Holmes free-kick over the wall, easily saved.

From Cray Wanderers to Man City, football is about guts and fire: getting the ball in to the box with strength and precision. We are miles away. If we continue to play without a striker we'll get ripped apart from here to kingdom come.

Just seen this.

Give up mate, either on these posts or on Charlton in general, because it seems your brain has given up already.

Never have I read so much tosh in one post
    Sam, i think it was a bit tongue-in-cheek mate.
    Having read through previous "efforts" by Viewfinder, I don't think it is
    OK, thats certainly the way i took it anyway.
    No, he always posts similar nonsense but this was a classic.
    No this was a classic;

There you are ValleyGary, you "coach" children near Dartford and never actually go to The Valley. And you are the first to pipe up with your ignorant bile - kill Communists, hang out the St George's flag, and shoot anyone who talks to your disabled mother. You are an idiot.

For me it was the best post I think I've ever read on here
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

What a sore loser. Should be charged for his comments about the linesman. I have looked at our goal a few times and it appears to me that the goalkeeper pushes the ball outwards - and onto the post. The linesman is the only person looking along the line in the stadium and is the best person to judge. He does not need to guess.

He should be more concerned with why our player was given the freedom of the penalty area and why his team carved out so few chances against 10 men. "Good possession". No shit sherlock!
    Clearly a goal. Look at the link to the Bristol rovers forum and look at the photos.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm inclined to think that if Pearce lent over the bearded chap and spoke to him a little bit of saliva fell out of his mouth as he was talking.

I can't believe that he would be silly enough to deliberately spit in someone's face.

After his rolling around I'd have lent over and given his some tips about how to get up too!
  • Options

Unfortunately we don't fit the criteria for Sky games, we aren't called Leeds or Manchester United. Feckers.
  • Options

Unfortunately we don't fit the criteria for Sky games, we aren't called Leeds or Manchester United. Feckers.
    FCK being a live game. Saturday at 3pm so fans can get to and from the game is what football is all about and in this league the fee is fck all anyway.
  • Options

FCK being a live game. Saturday at 3pm so fans can get to and from the game is what football is all about and in this league the fee is fck all anyway.
    And with the help of a VPN and about a fiver we can all watch any of our games without them needing to be shuffled off to unsociable times.
  • Options

And with the help of a VPN and about a fiver we can all watch any of our games without them needing to be shuffled off to unsociable times.
    How can we watch them? Isn't valley pass commentary only for league games?
  • Options
    I was impressed with the Ipswich friendly.do decided to go to game yesterday only went to chesterfield away last season because I got freebies. But well done Robinson team seem organised no the plan and with 10 men still played the better football. Really impressed with Fuso great performance really looks good signing. Hopefully we can keep it up. COYR

• Options
    Excellent defensive display, rarely troubled. Coupled with the 6 against Ipswich it looks as if we can both attack and defend well which is promising. Going to Plymouth Saturday so will be better to assess our prospects after that.
  • Options

Robinson is deluded when he says Saturday's performance was “one for the fans”. As fans we demand attacking football to quicken the pulse and stir the blood, but instead witnessed a backs-to-the-wall defensive siege for 80 minutes, caused partly by his abandonment of a striker altogether in a bizarre 4-5-0 formation.

Let's face it: we were shite. Our midfield players are so vulnerable that at the slightest hint of pressure they retreat to cower alongside the fragile defence. There was simply no outlet for clearances, which merely invited Bristol Rovers to mount attack after attack. With better finishing they could have won 1-3, which would have been a fair result.

We are going to come up against far stronger opposition than The Pirates this season. Two strikers would give opposing defences something to worry about. I welcome the appointment of Lee Bowyer if he instils some urgently-needed bottle and fight. Pun intended. We have got to dispel our deserved reputation as a soft touch, a bunch of powder-puffs.

I'm assuming this is a parody quote.