Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Bristol Rovers post match views

Comments

• Options

Robinson is deluded when he says Saturday's performance was “one for the fans”. As fans we demand attacking football to quicken the pulse and stir the blood, but instead witnessed a backs-to-the-wall defensive siege for 80 minutes, caused partly by his abandonment of a striker altogether in a bizarre 4-5-0 formation.

Let's face it: we were shite. Our midfield players are so vulnerable that at the slightest hint of pressure they retreat to cower alongside the fragile defence. There was simply no outlet for clearances, which merely invited Bristol Rovers to mount attack after attack. With better finishing they could have won 1-3, which would have been a fair result.

We are going to come up against far stronger opposition than The Pirates this season. Two strikers would give opposing defences something to worry about. I welcome the appointment of Lee Bowyer if he instils some urgently-needed bottle and fight. Pun intended. We have got to dispel our deserved reputation as a soft touch, a bunch of powder-puffs.

And what was the score?

:smiley:
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Robinson is deluded when he says Saturday's performance was “one for the fans”. As fans we demand attacking football to quicken the pulse and stir the blood, but instead witnessed a backs-to-the-wall defensive siege for 80 minutes, caused partly by his abandonment of a striker altogether in a bizarre 4-5-0 formation.

Let's face it: we were shite. Our midfield players are so vulnerable that at the slightest hint of pressure they retreat to cower alongside the fragile defence. There was simply no outlet for clearances, which merely invited Bristol Rovers to mount attack after attack. With better finishing they could have won 1-3, which would have been a fair result.

We are going to come up against far stronger opposition than The Pirates this season. Two strikers would give opposing defences something to worry about. I welcome the appointment of Lee Bowyer if he instils some urgently-needed bottle and fight. Pun intended. We have got to dispel our deserved reputation as a soft touch, a bunch of powder-puffs.

Oh wind it in will you already, it's boring.

We were down to 10 men for essentially the whole game, with the striker being sent off, it's a bit hard to have a serious outlet when our other target man striker is unavailable being injured.

If we carried on with the original game plan whilst down to 10 men and went as attacking as you would have liked, we most likely would've left so much space for Bristol Rovers to exploit and probably would've lost. I can't imagine what your reaction would've been if that happened.

We restricted them to very little throughout the game. I don't think anyone in the ground would have thought we would still win when Novak got himself sent off.

Your posts are not funny and in the whole, full of nonsense. Even to the point in basically suggesting that we have no fight or bottle. Well if yesterday didn't show character and togetherness to fight for one another, you must be blind.
  • Options
    This believe me was a great performance . 90 minutes with 10 men in warm conditions . Great team spirit .
  • Options

Are we on Sky in the near future?

Unfortunately we don't fit the criteria for Sky games, we aren't called Leeds or Manchester United. Feckers.
    FCK being a live game. Saturday at 3pm so fans can get to and from the game is what football is all about and in this league the fee is fck all anyway.
    And with the help of a VPN and about a fiver we can all watch any of our games without them needing to be shuffled off to unsociable times.
    How can we watch them? Isn't valley pass commentary only for league games?
    Yes but there was another thread where it was mentioned that you can buy a one game pass for the opposition!
  • Options
    Greatest troll of all time.
  • Options

Let's not be too hasty, how about this being the subject for a 'poll of the week' :wink:
  • Options

It is simply attention seeking nonsense. Ignore him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

Spot on, can't believe it's only you and I that can see it.
    But did you or your mate actually see it?
  • Options

Absolutely not. Not even close to many.
  • Options

If this is a troll account then happy trolling but if not, lay off the crack.
  • Options
    purdis said:

1StevieG said:

I had the same view as the ref and the challenge from Novak still looks stupid even if it wasn't as bad as I initially thought. You just don't make those sort of tackles anymore. 10/10 for game management by KR and for getting the players together at the end. Yes it's just one game but I was hugely impressed by the mentality of the players to do a job which meant neutralizing our attacking options.

Agreed and an inspiring team effort.

From the East Stand halfway line Novak's challenge looked two footed and a Red card all day long, although it looked on the tele like studs were down.

It was, as you say, an insane challenge from a player who should instinctively avoid such things with his level of experience.

I have to admit that I was surprised and rather disappointed the way many CAFC fans cheered and applauded Novak when he walked as his actions were tantamount to commiting team suicide - he had no reason to make the challenge whatsoever.
    Same here regarding the jeering of the ref when he gave the decision. I'd have been shocked had he not brandished a red card.
  • Options

Bottle and fight were just what we got on Saturday. Those 10 players worked their nuts off and nullified a fairly toothless Rovers side.
  • Options
    Late with my post-match analysis but here goes:

We started by trying to slowly build up play across the back four, looking for spaces rather than passing players into trouble which happened a lot at games I saw last season.

7 minutes on the clock and it was all change, Novak dived in recklessly, with both feet, when there was no danger whatsoever. I thought the worst at this moment after feeling positive for the start of the new season. I was amazed with how the team responded and they really were a team yesterday, which is not something that could be said for a lot of the last few years.

They didn't panic when they went down to ten men, there was no panic passing or players running out of position. They just seemed to carry on with the same game plan and Rovers just couldn't break them down. At no point did I looked at them and think that we were likely to concede (except maybe after some Amos flaps, especially when he provided the perfect assist only for it to be blasted wide).

I had forgotten what a joy to watch Kashi is. Well above league one level, so relaxed on the ball and always seemed to pick the right pass. He was superb at mopping up the ball in front of the back four and finding a positive pass.

Fosu looks like he could be a fantastic little player this season with some excellent runs and he seems like one of those players where the ball just sticks to his feet and he finds his way out of difficult situations (a bit like Lookman).

Holmes looked his usual self, running his socks off and looking threatening.

The back four looked solid, Bauer and Pearce good in the air and Solly and Da Silva both providing width and covering well at the back.

Amos made one good (maybe two?) saves during the match but Rovers didn't get many chances to put him under pressure. I was nervous when the ball was put into the box a few times as he chose to punch when catching it seemed the better option or came to claim it and not getting near it. It was his first match and i'm hoping he'll be a good number one.

Clarke worked hard, not a lone striker but played his role well.

Watt - KR and Bowyer were telling him not to chase balls, keeping him back at the half way line but there were numerous times when they were berating him and did not look particularly impressed with his efforts imho. That pass to KAG was shocking. He did do well at winning fouls and time wasting, which is what he was seemingly sent on to do. He is a talented player and I want him to do well, let's hope we get to see the Tony Watt of a couple of seasons ago some time soon.

Last but not least, the goal, I was sat at the other end of the pitch in the West Stand and it was over the line clear as day. Don't know what the people behind the goal, who were much closer than I, were complaining about.

Cross-bar challenge was brilliant too, well done that man, it had become a bit of a joke with all the poor attempts so far so it was great to see someone claim it (can't believe I enjoyed it that much that I am reviewing it here...).
  • Options
    This thread has got me feeling pretty good about Charlton. I'm still gonna play cricket until September, though, despite our woeful reduction to 29-8 yesterday (Leuth, myself and [oh dear] a Palace fan wagging the tail though) - as a matter of principle.

Everyone* seems to be saying the same things, right? Kashi = god; Fosu = exciting; rest of team = generally pretty good (bar Watt and maybe Amos); we need another striker.

While I would enjoy something resembling a promotion campaign, I am still of the view that this leaves M. Duchatelet on still slightly worse than neutral ground: we'll be back where we were when he took over, but also in a load of debt. Wins and points are the metrics on which I am judging now.

However, a great start it seems. Onwards and upwards.

*PSA: Everyone does NOT include Viewfinder, and I'd like to encourage everyone - DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought the sending off changed the game, so we were defending most of the time and looking to counter attack. The welcome return of Kashi and the arrival of Fosu made this a lot more interesting than previously as we now appear to have a midfield. And a defence. Not convinced by Amos but it is only one game. Just need to make sure we have a striker other than Magennis to play KRs system.
    Not sure I can say I enjoyed the game - it was tense at times but a lot of the football on offer from both sides wasn't particularly attractive. Looking forward to Plymouth next week now
  • Options
    One thing that REALLY helps is that we do have some stability in our team, especially in defence, when so often each summer the heart has been ripped out of it. Effectively KR has been allowed to continue the changes he made last season, so that the better end to last season has been built on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39682848

Looking at the team that beat Swindon in April, the back 4 is identical, while Holmes and JFC make 6, and Magennis would have made it 7 if fit. Indeed of the 18 who were in the matchday squad that day, only the 4 loanees Rudd, Byrne, Ulvestad and Botaka have left the club.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Watched the live feed online. All I'll say is, what a joy to at last have a midfield worth the name. Holmes, Fosu and co will likely steal a lot of the headlines this season, but for me the big difference for us this season could be the Jake Forster-Kashi partnership (which I'm going to shorten to JFK, cuz I like it).

Thought both were excellent yesterday, terrific defensively, hard working, always available for a pass and comfortable on the ball even under pressure and then were sensible and at times creative with their passing. We've got real energy and a fair bit of ability in the centre of midfield now. Something we've not come close to since the Cousins/Buyens pairs my was broken up and they were far from perfect, even then.

Looking forward to seeing them play in the flesh in a few weeks time.
  • Options
    Considering we played virtually the entire game with 10 men you have to be encouraged by the win.

Plus points - Great to see Kashi back. He looked very assured and could be a key player this season. Excellent debut by Fosu, he was a real handful and looks a quality acquisition.Da Silva also looks good. Defence looks very solid, Solly still a good player at this level and Bauer outstanding on Saturday.

Issues? - Can't say I was over impressed with Amos, let's give him some time but Phillips looks the better option at present. The obvious problem is up front. We look very light without Magennis. Even forgiving his indiscretion on Saturday Novak has done little since his time with us and as for Tony Watt's cameo "performance" the less said the better. If we can sort that out by hopefully bringing in someone new. there's no reason why we can't have a decent season.
  • Options
    In a nutshell we played better with 10 men on Saturday then we did for large parts of last season with 11. Gillingham away last season springs to mind!
  • Options
    good result and 3 points, but it was one of the weaker sides in this league on paper, so wont get too carried away, in my head i would be happy with 9/10 points from our opening 4 league games.

the team seems stable - all views are from clips watched and reports read.

roll on Plymouth Saturday.
  • Options

good result and 3 points, but it was one of the weaker sides in this league on paper, so wont get too carried away, in my head i would be happy with 9/10 points from our opening 4 league games.

the team seems stable - all views are from clips watched and reports read.

roll on Plymouth Saturday.

Rovers did finish 6 points above us last season (even if we hammered them twice) so they're unlikely to be strugglers near the bottom