Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Bristol Rovers post match views

Comments

• Options
    Tony Watt? So what. Lee Novak? Didn't miss him. The surprise is why they were on the pitch in the first place. 10 men and one-nil. Class performance and if those players stay fit (they probably wont) then we are contenders for promotion in a very real way. Really enjoyable even with the theatre of player huddle at the end. This could be a great season. The passing , shape and tactic/strategy were all very very good. Great day for Charlton.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I thought that was a class performance and I'm proper buzzing after that. Real character

Over to you

Bloody Hell. .Cabbles impressed ...
  • Options

There were nine (I refuse to count Watt) MEN on the field today. No boys. They can all look themselves in the mirror and say: "I put in a shift today..."

How can you refuse to include Watt... He was bloody told not to close down the opposition!!!
    Was he also told to miss a simple pass to his teammate as well?
  • Options

Did Novak do us a favour to-day? Would we have been so fluid in attack if we were playing balls to him?

Should we play 4 - 2 - 4 until Mag is back?

Can I stop asking questions?

Is one thing I wonder... Bristol Rovers started VERY well and we were struggling to get the ball beyond our Defence.

the Sending off almost kicked us into gear and despite allowing them possession they didnt do enough with it. Had Novak stayed on the pitch would we have started to have controlled the game or would we have begun to have seen a case of; lump it up field from the back in frustration and watch it coming straight back
  • Options
    Sounds like a good win under difficult circumstances. Well done boys. Doesn't matter how, especially at the start of the season. Keep it going.
  • Options

Great win, great performance by the players, great three points.

Not a great game but that was due to having to play with ten meeting for nearly 90 mins and a woeful Bristol Rovers side. With 11 we could have equalled the thrashings of last season.

First Rovers shot worthy of a save was on 54 minutes and there were few after that.

Good displays all round considering. Fosu was very good, Solly was Sollyesque, Kashi outstanding (biggest panic was when he went down injured)

Amos maybe didn't deal with one of two crosses as well as he could and a Deano style kick to touch but looked sound as did all the defence.

JFC got stuck in and try to pass it, Holmes good, Clarke isn't a lone striker but did it well enough.

Decent crowd too and good support for the ten men.

Looked like a sending off at first look but maybe if it wasn't opening day it would have been a yellow. Shame as yet again Novak gets a chance for a run in the team snatched away from him.

MOTM Fosu or Kashi

I agree with all of that but I'd include JDS and Clarke in the reckoning for MOM but I would give it to Holmes.

Here were no poor performances today.

Watt looked disinterested but if he was told to stay in our half and stop short of, actually, running then I'll give him the benefit of doubt.

Even Novak seemed to be 'getting stuck in' just a little too enthusiastic, maybe.
  • Options
    Kashi is effing awesome. Fosu was exceptional too and Da Silva picked up where he finished last season. Pretty much everyone else can also be proud of their game (not you Watt) and the way we passed it around for the middle 40 minutes was a thing of beauty and a joy forever. Winning with ten is a rare pleasure but to do it in style means this was probably the most satisfying match I've seen in two years.

What was all that with the microphone on Robinson? I couldn't pick up what he was saying beyond some expletives and whistles but it kept us amused for several minutes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just send the sending off and goal.

Sending off looks harsh and from that angle the ball didn't cross the line but lino was right in line.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Stig said:

Wow, when did we last take a lead with just ten men and hold it for 52 minutes?

The last time I can remember being at a game when we won with ten was against, I think, Luton when David Whyte scored after Balmer got sent off.
  • Options
    We needed a real gutsy performance after Novak was sent off & boy did we get one. Heroes every one of them special mention to Kashi I personally thought he was magnificent.
  • Options

Stig said:

Wow, when did we last take a lead with just ten men and hold it for 52 minutes?

The last time I can remember winning with ten was against, I think, Luton when David Whyte scored after Balmer got sent off.
    Plymouth when weaver was sent off and lita???? Scored two
  • Options
    Great performance from the ten men. So the game plan was out the window after 6 minutes when Novak lost control of the ball and slid in 2 footed on Sinclair. Definite sending off from where I was sitting in the East stand and said after the challenge he will get sent off. I don't care who you are or who you play for, you go sliding in like that you should get a red. As for the goal I am still not convinced as it looked like the keeper pushed into the post and then gathered it from the rebound but who cares. I thought Ricky Holmes was his usual outstanding self and Fosu looked promising with some decent tracking back. Rovers were pretty much toothless and did not give Amos much of a test and we looked a bit leggy towards the end as you would expect having to cover the space lost by a man down. Still puzzled now as to what Tony Watt was trying to do when he broke into their half with a man ahead and the promptly tapped with his left foot to their defender. And finally what a pleasure it is to see Kashi back playing. He will boss this league.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Did Novak do us a favour to-day? Would we have been so fluid in attack if we were playing balls to him?

Should we play 4 - 2 - 4 until Mag is back?

Can I stop asking questions?

Is one thing I wonder... Bristol Rovers started VERY well and we were struggling to get the ball beyond our Defence.

the Sending off almost kicked us into gear and despite allowing them possession they didnt do enough with it. Had Novak stayed on the pitch would we have started to have controlled the game or would we have begun to have seen a case of; lump it up field from the back in frustration and watch it coming straight back
    Hard to say, but against Ipswich with a target man playing, we still pinged the ball about.
    Yes we did, but Novak isn't in Mag's class. It's a struggle to call him a target man.
  • Options
    Something I should add, I know how much the game has changed as far as defenders being he first line of attack but Da Silva I don't think has the minerals to be a defender, he looked very classy today but a couple of times at least I think he could have comitted himself more in going for 50/50 balls. I'm happy for him to prove me wrong but I don't think loanees have the same commitment that full on members of the unit do. Again, maybe it's the modern game where the emphasis is more on the full back to the the width and an attacking threat but that's my opinion.

He did have a very good game and like I said, looked classy when in possession. And I'm confident we wouldn't get a player of that quality on a permanent deal unless it is us that brings him through
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    I know i'm being negative after a good result with 10 men , but does anyone else think that Kashi will just be sold when he's proven his fitness?. We all know it will happen - thats what is so galling about the Belgians.
  • Options

I know i'm being negative after a good result with 10 men , but does anyone else think that Kashi will just be sold when he's proven his fitness?. We all know it will happen - thats what is so galling about the Belgians.

He is special and, once the rest of the league notice, he will go.

So let's enjoy it while it lasts.
  • Options
    And well done to the West stand ball boy for doing as he was told.
  • Options

And well done to the West stand ball boy for doing as he was told.

Pray tell us
  • Options
    edited August 2017

He is clearly above League 1 football. IF he stays fit, he will be gone in January.
  • Options

He is clearly above League 1 football. IF he stays fit, he will be gone in January.
    Yep, probably off to boost St Truiden's hopes of getting into europe next season.