Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• cabbles said:

We do need another goalie - but that goalie should be back up to Phillips imo. He's good enough, and I think he should be given a run in the team

I think he's promising, but he's only played about 10 games in the Football League.

I think it would be harsh to possibly consider Phillips as number 2 to the new GK, and risky to sign a number 2 to Phillips. That's why it might be best to loan him out to League 2 for the season and sign 2 new ones.
  • edited July 2017
    It is about whether Phillips wants to stay as a number two. I suspect he will not at this stage of his career.

Lindergaard won't come as a number two. I also suspect he will be too expensive and Martin would fit the bill within the budget.

If Phillips went we would need a number two/ competition for Martin.
  • If KR doesn't rate Phillips as first choice right now then I agree a loan would be best and for us to sign two keepers. However, we would need to keep in mind that Phillips should be battling for first team GK next season...
  • edited July 2017
    Agree with the above comments, I have only seen Phillips twice so can't pass too much judgement. Just saying I cannot see KR not signing a keeper, its clear he is looking for one.

People are complaining we don't have enough 'proven' League 1 players and Martin fits the bill perfectly and is free. Phillips has played a handful of games. On that basis, Martin would be number 1 and Phillips 2. If Phillips doesn't want to be number 2 and I don't blame him, then sign another freebie, there are always decent enough keepers lurking about and let Phillips get a season in League 2 as a number 1.

• I think Phillips is definitely good enough. Talent is no good though without opportunity. For Dillon's career it would be better if he left, if they want to bring in two keepers.
  • A club needs three keepers in a season. It only takes an injury as Rudd got last season and you are down to one keeper with no back up. Phillips is young and there is loads of time, a keeper doesn't peak in game until late 20's and will learn a lot off of the experienced keepers in training.

• dickplumb said:

I think Phillips is definitely good enough. Talent is no good though without opportunity. For Dillon's career it would be better if he left, if they want to bring in two keepers.

I would say you are in a better position to judge him, I would suggest he should go for his career too, just hope its a loan move so we can see what he has to offer in the future.
  • edited July 2017
    seth plum said:

The point about Phillips is for such an important player he is virtually on the football equivalent of the minimum wage.

One of the biggest mistakes the owner has made is paying way over the odds in wages for poor players. Perhaps Phillips is paid the going rate for a 2nd choice keeper in tier 3
  • Sage said:

Phillips needs and also deserves first team football. He proved with Cheltenham that he's a good keeper and conference football isn't too different to League Two.

If he isn't going to be number one, send him on loan to a League One side who is going to play him. We bring one in permanently and another on loan who will be happy to be back up.

Next season we assess again but if he was to go on loan in League One and do very well, of which I think he will as he should be our keeper this season, play him next season as our number one.

What's the point of having a keeper who is good enough, from our academy, who isn't going to play? It doesn't make sense. Make use of him, don't hinder his development.

It's going to be difficult to get a loan in as number 2 for the same reasons you said loan him to a League 1 side who will play him

I think he may have to go league 2, I can't see too many teams in our league having him as number 1
  • Sponsored links:

• If Lindergaard or Martin comes in then Phillips will have to work harder no doubt as they are both good experienced keepers but it would show the character of a winner if he could dislodge any of the above 2. Even if 1 of these come in, keepers can be treated harshly so if or when they cock up, he will need to get in there and make KR notice him.

Good prospect but needs solid competition.
  • Someone mentioned Rene Gilmartin earlier in the thread . A clear number two option like him would be the level I think we might see as a Reserve . Lewis Price , Paul Rachupka or Stuart Taylor are the sort of professional standbys I am talking about .
  • Keepers have to expect to be a No 2 & maybe not play hardly at all during a season. It's not a position that gets injured too much but a proper team needs at least 2 decent keepers as well as a 3rd choice (probably an U23's keeper)

If we get Martin or Lindergard then Phillips should be kept as our No 2 - no point loaning him out & then needing to get someone in quick if Martin got injured.

I agree that Philips hasn't been treated that well, but he is still young & his time will come.
  • Why hasn't he been treated well in people's eyes?
  • There is a difference in a number 2 someone who would compete for the gloves and a clear number 1.

Norwich probably wouldn't have loaned us Rudd if we had someone like Henderson or Pope stills at the Valley. Indeed the loan worked out well for them as Rudd had a years regular football and the pocketted a £1 Million fee.
  • edited July 2017

A club needs three keepers in a season. It only takes an injury as Rudd got last season and you are down to one keeper with no back up. Phillips is young and there is loads of time, a keeper doesn't peak in game until late 20's and will learn a lot off of the experienced keepers in training.

2 decent keepers are ok, with Beeney as your 3rd.
    If the goalie gets injured bring in a loan (you can emergency loan goalies I believe).
  • A club needs three keepers in a season. It only takes an injury as Rudd got last season and you are down to one keeper with no back up. Phillips is young and there is loads of time, a keeper doesn't peak in game until late 20's and will learn a lot off of the experienced keepers in training.

so you think we should sign 2 keepers and have Phillips as 3rd choice?
  • If we have any aspirations of promotion then we need a more experienced keeper than Phillips, adequate No 2 and his time will come, but he's only 22 - very young for a keeper, unless he's exceptional (Pickford) which he isn't
  • Sponsored links:

• cafc_se7 said:

If we have any aspirations of promotion then we need a more experienced keeper than Phillips, adequate No 2 and his time will come, but he's only 22 - very young for a keeper, unless he's exceptional (Pickford) which he isn't

But at the same time it is relative, Pickford is a premiership goalie, we are in league one and in my eyes Phillips is a perfectly capable league one keeper and proved that in the short number of appearances last season.
    Short being the key word, he's not proven over a long number of games. He at least needs proper competition rather than an u23 with no experience at any level.
  • sam3110 said:

Why hasn't he been treated well in people's eyes?

For me he was doing nothing wrong when covering for Rudd... the latter came back from injury and stepped straight back into the team, performances didnt improve and despite February being down to the whole team, we were conceding a lot more goals maybe in other teams Dillon would and should have come back into the side

Even when coming back from injury; Rudd should only have come back into the starting eleven when Phillips started having poor performances himself
  • sam3110 said:

Why hasn't he been treated well in people's eyes?

For me he was doing nothing wrong when covering for Rudd... the latter came back from injury and stepped straight back into the team, performances didnt improve and despite February being down to the whole team, we were conceding a lot more goals maybe in other teams Dillon would and should have come back into the side

Even when coming back from injury; Rudd should only have come back into the starting eleven when Phillips started having poor performances himself
    Maybe the terms of Rudd's loan meant when fit he has to play a certain percentage of games.

Maybe Rudd was much better in training

Maybe the squad felt more secure with Rudd behind them than Phillips

Lots of different factors can come into play, none of us know
  • edited July 2017

A club needs three keepers in a season. It only takes an injury as Rudd got last season and you are down to one keeper with no back up. Phillips is young and there is loads of time, a keeper doesn't peak in game until late 20's and will learn a lot off of the experienced keepers in training.

If you read the quote, if a keeper gets injured Phillips can slot straight in as number two, there is also the opportunity for him to play in cup matches as well as learn from experienced keepers, we have let two keepers go since last season so we clearly need to replace them both

2 decent keepers are ok, with Beeney as your 3rd.
    If the goalie gets injured bring in a loan (you can emergency loan goalies I believe).
    Emergency loan is for a limited period only as well as the choices are limited, or you end up bringing in a non contract player.

If you read the quote, if a keeper gets injured Phillips can slot straight in as number two, there is also the opportunity for him to play in cup matches as well as learn from experienced keepers, we have let two keepers go since last season so we clearly need to replace them both
    Yes I did read it. You said we need 3 keepers, and Phillips should learn from the experienced keepers (plural) meaning you want 2 experienced keepers in and Phillips as 3rd choice. I would agree this could be ok if Phillips went out on loan, but no league 1 team is going to have the quality of Phillips as a 3rd choice.

Yes we did let 2 go, and we certainly need to replace Rudd, hence the interest in Martin/Lindegaard etc. But we don't need to replace Mitov with an experienced keeper, Beeney has now replaced Mitov as the 3rd choice/U23 keeper.

Yes I did read it. You said we need 3 keepers, and Phillips should learn from the experienced keepers (plural) meaning you want 2 experienced keepers in and Phillips as 3rd choice. I would agree this could be ok if Phillips went out on loan, but no league 1 team is going to have the quality of Phillips as a 3rd choice.

Yes we did let 2 go, and we certainly need to replace Rudd, hence the interest in Martin/Lindegaard etc. But we don't need to replace Mitov with an experienced keeper, Beeney has now replaced Mitov as the 3rd choice/U23 keeper.
    So you would rely on Beeney to step in rather than sign an experienced keeper. It has been a very clear objective from the start of pre season, two players to compete for each position, with promotion the number one objective.
    Experience is key in this league in which is a long and tough one, if a keeper loses form we need one to come and replace as well as keep him on his toes.