Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• edited July 2017

A club needs three keepers in a season. It only takes an injury as Rudd got last season and you are down to one keeper with no back up. Phillips is young and there is loads of time, a keeper doesn't peak in game until late 20's and will learn a lot off of the experienced keepers in training.

so you think we should sign 2 keepers and have Phillips as 3rd choice?
    If you read the quote, if a keeper gets injured Phillips can slot straight in as number two, there is also the opportunity for him to play in cup matches as well as learn from experienced keepers, we have let two keepers go since last season so we clearly need to replace them both
    Yes I did read it. You said we need 3 keepers, and Phillips should learn from the experienced keepers (plural) meaning you want 2 experienced keepers in and Phillips as 3rd choice. I would agree this could be ok if Phillips went out on loan, but no league 1 team is going to have the quality of Phillips as a 3rd choice.

Yes we did let 2 go, and we certainly need to replace Rudd, hence the interest in Martin/Lindegaard etc. But we don't need to replace Mitov with an experienced keeper, Beeney has now replaced Mitov as the 3rd choice/U23 keeper.
    So you would rely on Beeney to step in rather than sign an experienced keeper. It has been a very clear objective from the start of pre season, two players to compete for each position, with promotion the number one objective.
    Experience is key in this league in which is a long and tough one, if a keeper loses form we need one to come and replace as well as keep him on his toes.
    Have you read anything I put? Where did I say I wanted Phillips and Beeney to be our two keepers? I disagreed with you that we needed two experienced keepers with Phillips as 3rd choice. Some will say Phillips should be number 1, I am not sure, but certainly not 3rd choice.

Beeney will play for the U23's and be 3rd choice, but we certainly need to replace Rudd with competition for Phillips, and I wouldnt mind signing a first choice and a back up, allowing Phillips to get a season in League 2.

Yes you are quite right, 2 players to compete for each position, not 3...
  • jams said:

Christ the sooner the football is back the better

You say that now, but...

Another season masterminded by the Belgian Turing, and you'll be pining for the sunlit uplands of this pre-season.
    i did think that just after i posted - can't wait for our opening day defeat to bristol rovers !
  • jams said:

Christ the sooner the football is back the better

You say that now, but...

Another season masterminded by the Belgian Turing, and you'll be pining for the sunlit uplands of this pre-season.
    After a five game winless run scoring only two goals:
    "Remember the glory days of the off-season with no football and only wild and largely baseless speculation about young keepers? Those were good times. Can we go back?"
  • A club needs three keepers in a season. It only takes an injury as Rudd got last season and you are down to one keeper with no back up. Phillips is young and there is loads of time, a keeper doesn't peak in game until late 20's and will learn a lot off of the experienced keepers in training.

If you read the quote, if a keeper gets injured Phillips can slot straight in as number two, there is also the opportunity for him to play in cup matches as well as learn from experienced keepers, we have let two keepers go since last season so we clearly need to replace them both
    Yes I did read it. You said we need 3 keepers, and Phillips should learn from the experienced keepers (plural) meaning you want 2 experienced keepers in and Phillips as 3rd choice. I would agree this could be ok if Phillips went out on loan, but no league 1 team is going to have the quality of Phillips as a 3rd choice.

Yes we did let 2 go, and we certainly need to replace Rudd, hence the interest in Martin/Lindegaard etc. But we don't need to replace Mitov with an experienced keeper, Beeney has now replaced Mitov as the 3rd choice/U23 keeper.
    So you would rely on Beeney to step in rather than sign an experienced keeper. It has been a very clear objective from the start of pre season, two players to compete for each position, with promotion the number one objective.
    Experience is key in this league in which is a long and tough one, if a keeper loses form we need one to come and replace as well as keep him on his toes.
    Have you read anything I put? Where did I say I wanted Phillips and Beeney to be our two keepers? I disagreed with you that we needed two experienced keepers with Phillips as 3rd choice. Some will say Phillips should be number 1, I am not sure, but certainly not 3rd choice.

Beeney will play for the U23's and be 3rd choice, but we certainly need to replace Rudd with competition for Phillips, and I wouldnt mind signing a first choice and a back up, allowing Phillips to get a season in League 2.

I fully understand what you have written. You wish to have two youngsters as second and third choice. Philips needs to learn his trade before being thrust into the number 1 slot. As stated earlier a keeper will not peak in his career until late 20's however you want to put two keepers as back up who have played a handful of games and a loan at a Cheltenham.
  • Is there an outside chance of a rumour on this thread anytime soon?

No

• Today, July 3rd.

All the out of contract players are now free agents.
    Must be some proper rumours and stories?

Any news, RedHenry?

;o)

• _nam11 said:

Rob Elliot displaced Weaver in 2008, aged 22. Thought he was decent. Amazing what happens if you show some faith in others.

He had good (or perhaps better) competition in Randolph. Both had a decent amount of experience out on loan. If Phillips gets injured we'll be left with u23 keepers without any first team experience at any level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't forget that in this instance Robinson will already know a lot about Martin from his time at MK. I agree that the jersey should be up for grabs but I suspect Martin will already be number one in KR's mind.
  • http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-utd-transfer-news-fixtures-13271592

Reads like a wind-up but it's a rumour

"Belgian teenager Largie Ramazani has joined Manchester United on a scholarship contract from League One side Charlton Athletic.

Ramazani, 16, was born in Burundi but supposedly began his youth career in Anderlecht's academy before he moved to Charlton to continue his development."
  • http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-utd-transfer-news-fixtures-13271592

"Belgian teenager Largie Ramazani has joined Manchester United on a scholarship contract from League One side Charlton Athletic.

Ramazani, 16, was born in Burundi but supposedly began his youth career in Anderlecht's academy before he moved to Charlton to continue his development."

Looks like it's the truth, it's come from a Belgian journalist.
  • Adios Largie, we hardly knew ye. Actually we didn't know ye. In fact, putting that on the rumours thread is quite annoying, because otherwise we'd have been completely oblivious to Man U poaching one of our kids
  • edited July 2017

Bit tired of all the bollocks about Phillips not being old enough - if he's good enough he should be playing. Rudd looked no better than Phillips when he played and we don't seem likely to be signing an outstanding keeper.

AC Milan have stuck an 18 year old in goal whereas Charlton fans in the mighty L1 seem to think putting a 22 year old in goal is the biggest risk of all time. Phillips looks to me more than capable of playing in L1 and will only get better with experience.

Goalkeeper is the least of our problems...

Spot on. Anybody would think we were about to start season with Thuram a blind bloke with no hands in goal.
  • Not much transfer stuff will be going while they're in Ireland, I would imagine.
  • Not much transfer stuff will be going while they're in Ireland, I would imagine.

I hope you're wrong. We need to get the players we need in this week so they get a decent pre season.

I'm sure there will be a late addition or two but on the whole we need this week to be the big week.

• Sponsored links:

• I can confirm that Largie Addicki is set to sign for Man City ;-))

.....and just when we need a goalkeeper.
  • Bit tired of all the bollocks about Phillips not being old enough - if he's good enough he should be playing. Rudd looked no better than Phillips when he played and we don't seem likely to be signing an outstanding keeper.

AC Milan have stuck an 18 year old in goal whereas Charlton fans in the mighty L1 seem to think putting a 22 year old in goal is the biggest risk of all time. Phillips looks to me more than capable of playing in L1 and will only get better with experience.

Goalkeeper is the least of our problems...

Even if Phillips starts the season as first choice he still needs genuine competition.
  • A club needs three keepers in a season. It only takes an injury as Rudd got last season and you are down to one keeper with no back up. Phillips is young and there is loads of time, a keeper doesn't peak in game until late 20's and will learn a lot off of the experienced keepers in training.

I fully understand what you have written. You wish to have two youngsters as second and third choice. Philips needs to learn his trade before being thrust into the number 1 slot. As stated earlier a keeper will not peak in his career until late 20's however you want to put two keepers as back up who have played a handful of games and a loan at a Cheltenham.
    Look, under this lot we have never really had a squad. If we have two players for each position, I would be over the moon.

Phillips got decent reviews when he played last season and I'm fine with him being one of the two keepers yes.

No not all keepers peak late 20's.

You keep going on about 2 back ups but that's contradictory as you said about 2 players per position now saying 3rd choices need to be decent too. Let's not get greedy, remember who owns us and what league we are in.

Looks like it's the truth, it's come from a Belgian journalist.
    All seems to come from this one tweet. Not hard to take a pic of a kid with a Man utd shirt but no one else.

• edited July 2017
    Fuller pic, looks like some proper press with proper cameras in the reflection before the conspiracy theories start.

• Signing a contract sitting next to Andy Cole.

• edited July 2017
    Isnt that a few blokes holding their Smartphones as cameras? - The shadow above the flowers is holding nothing more than a Smartphone whilst what looks like his Mum and Brother (?) are the other shadows.

Edit: Second picture proves my theory completely wrong lol!