Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201706&date=20170627&time=0507

This is from yesterday morning but it wasn't posted from what I've seen. The possible Brentford bid may complicate bids but I'd trust Ketts judgement on it anyway.
  • http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201706&date=20170627&time=0507

This is from yesterday morning but it wasn't posted from what I've seen. The possible Brentford bid may complicate bids but I'd trust Ketts judgement on it anyway.

Not linking, what does it say @CAFCharry ?
  • vff said:

http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201706&date=20170627&time=0507

Not linking, what does it say @CAFCharry ?
    The Sheffield Star carried a story suggesting Blades targets, Ryan Leonard and Ricky Holmes, would push for moves to Bramall Lane.

Holmes was said to be particularly keen to sample Championship football, and was alleged to have rejected the new deal on offer at The Valley.‎

Holmes returned for pre-season training on Monday and tieing him down to a new deal is high on Karl Robinson's priority list.

The deal on offer is a good one, both in terms of money and length. The manager is confident that his charismatic winger will stay at The Valley.
  • Am I the only one who thinks Holmes should go in order to play at a higher level at the twilight of his career?
    If he is unsettled here then it might be a good idea to maximise any transfer fee IN ORDER TO REINVEST IN THE TEAM ROLAND.
  • seth plum said:

Am I the only one who thinks Holmes should go in order to play at a higher level at the twilight of his career?
    If he is unsettled here then it might be a good idea to maximise any transfer fee IN ORDER TO REINVEST IN THE TEAM ROLAND.

Yes , we do not think on a personal level. He is a CAFC player not a friend so i would prefer he stays at Charlton obviously.

I dont think there is much suggestion he is unsettled, if he was then it would be best to let him leave. I just hope he stays, if he doesn't it would be very hard to replace him.
  • edited June 2017
    On a personal level yes, he should go and we as fans should thank him for showing us how good he is. He owes us nothing. He came and gave his all.

As a fan. He needs to stay, get up with us and then play for us again in 2018/2019 (he could begin coaching training) as we get relegated again at the end of that season, he can stay for 19/20 then when we get promoted he can move up with us in a player/coaching role akin to JJ.

Then in 20/21 he can become full time winger coach.

:lol:
  • If Holmes wants to leave then the last thing we want is another uncommitted player. Take the 1.2 million on offer and bid for Maddison. Swiftly soften the loss of Holmes considerably.
  • If Holmes wants to leave then the last thing we want is another uncommitted player. Take the 1.2 million on offer and bid for Maddison. Swiftly soften the loss of Holmes considerably.

I think you're being Harsh on Holmes, I think he's too proud to put in a bad performance, instead I think he'd work harder to force a move.
  • Sponsored links:

• Reported as 1.2 m on In to the valley but probably bullshit as written by that Bexley Boy character!!!!
  • Holmes was happy here. He know's he is top dog with the exception of Jacko and Solly. He is settled and the fans love him. He was more than happy to stay

Not sure if things have changed or if the offers that have come in have genuinely turned his head.

I like him but if we were offer Marcus Maddison level of money then I would take a punt on him as he is 5 years younger.
  • I don't think it'd be panic stations if Holmes left. We've bought well in attacking areas and I think it would allow for more acquisitions. Not that I want him to leave but I think we'd be able to find an equivalent replacement quite easily. Besides, we don't know that he's off...
  • edited June 2017
    Surely Holmes is wanting to try the Championship, he won't want to retire and think 'what could have been. I will be gutted if he left, but I think he will want to see if he can play at that level.

• Dazzler21 said:

If Holmes wants to leave then the last thing we want is another uncommitted player. Take the 1.2 million on offer and bid for Maddison. Swiftly soften the loss of Holmes considerably.

I think you're being Harsh on Holmes, I think he's too proud to put in a bad performance, instead I think he'd work harder to force a move.
    I think you've got a point but if we are going to lose Holmes in a year anyway and we could sign up say Maddison on a three/four year contract then in the long run could be a better deal. A big if though!
  • robroy said:

Surely Holmes is wanting to try the Championship, he won't want to retire and think 'what could have been. I will be gutted if he left, but I think he will want to see if he can play at that level.

My hope is he may be convinced by an offer of a longer contract from us than Sheff U, giving him more security with his family settled.

Keeping him and bringing in Reeves may help persuade him that he could get his crack at the Championship with us in the season after.
  • Swisdom said:

Holmes was happy here. He know's he is top dog with the exception of Jacko and Solly. He is settled and the fans love him. He was more than happy to stay

Not sure if things have changed or if the offers that have come in have genuinely turned his head.

I like him but if we were offer Marcus Maddison level of money then I would take a punt on him as he is 5 years younger.

Interest from Championship clubs is bound to at least make him think about where to play next season, irrespective of the owners and management here

• Reported as 1.2 m on In to the valley but probably bullshit as written by that Bexley Boy character!!!!

Rumours I've heard is that the offer is a third of that.

• Sage said:

Have heard through a couple of things that Reeves could well be signed by this week Wednesday. Don't shoot me down if it doesn't happen, just passing on info.

Does his signing mean Holmes is off?
    Why would it? Reeves is a number 10 and Holmes is a winger.
    My sense is that our Dear Owner does not care about offensive formations and thus simply will look at the situation and say... "I can claim we upgraded the offense." He did that exact thing last year when he unloaded two of our best players and replaced them with Ajose. I fear it will be the same kind of logic. "I brought in someone and thus can sell someone else for a profit."

Maybe I am wrong. But it seems to me RD makes transfer moves with two things in mind... 1. Make a profit. 2. Be able to claim I brought in talent.

Signing Reeves allows him to sell Holmes and do both.
    Reeves is a free agent in 5 days time so won't cost RD anything but wages, which he may now have after shipping Igor off to Belgium.

Robinson had said he wants 2 players in every position, Reeves and Clarke would be the 2 10's, Holmes, Marshall, Fosu, and i would assume Cellabos are the 4 wingers.

If we get an offer in the 1mil region for a 30 year old we paid about 200k for a year ago then Holmes will be gone, and i don't blame the club selling him for that money really.

I think even RD can see everything he has done till now has been a massive failure so maybe he is going to let Robinson do it his way this summer and see where we are come January.
    Jeez, 1mil, and say goodbye to promotion chances?! By far our best player last year (exc Lookman). No way should a club with a rich owner be allowed to get away with selling him for lousy million.
    Expect renewed protests if he's sold. I'll for one be on the picket line!
  • JamesSeed said:

Sage said:

Have heard through a couple of things that Reeves could well be signed by this week Wednesday. Don't shoot me down if it doesn't happen, just passing on info.

My sense is that our Dear Owner does not care about offensive formations and thus simply will look at the situation and say... "I can claim we upgraded the offense." He did that exact thing last year when he unloaded two of our best players and replaced them with Ajose. I fear it will be the same kind of logic. "I brought in someone and thus can sell someone else for a profit."

Maybe I am wrong. But it seems to me RD makes transfer moves with two things in mind... 1. Make a profit. 2. Be able to claim I brought in talent.

Reeves is a free agent in 5 days time so won't cost RD anything but wages, which he may now have after shipping Igor off to Belgium.

Robinson had said he wants 2 players in every position, Reeves and Clarke would be the 2 10's, Holmes, Marshall, Fosu, and i would assume Cellabos are the 4 wingers.

If we get an offer in the 1mil region for a 30 year old we paid about 200k for a year ago then Holmes will be gone, and i don't blame the club selling him for that money really.

I think even RD can see everything he has done till now has been a massive failure so maybe he is going to let Robinson do it his way this summer and see where we are come January.
    Jeez, 1mil, and say goodbye to promotion chances?! By far our best player last year (exc including over Lookman). No way should a club with a rich owner be allowed to get away with selling him for lousy million.
    Edited for you. He was better than Ade for me. Ade was close but stilll raw, Holmes is a bit more cultured and knew how to do the things Ade will learn, such as winding up defenders to force fouls etc.

Ade will be ten times better at Holmes' age but Holmes just had more in his locker than a very young Ademola.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Sage said:

Jeez, 1mil, and say goodbye to promotion chances?! By far our best player last year (exc Lookman). No way should a club with a rich owner be allowed to get away with selling him for lousy million.
    But what if they replaced him with Maddison - the guy with more goals and assists than any other player in UK professional football for the last 2 seasons - who is also 5 years younger. For the same money. Would we still be up in arms.

Don't get me wrong - I don't want to lose him but there better long term option is quite clear here
  • Swisdom said:

JamesSeed said:

Sage said:

But what if they replaced him with Maddison - the guy with more goals and assists than any other player in UK professional football for the last 2 seasons - who is also 5 years younger. For the same money. Would we still be up in arms.

Don't get me wrong - I don't want to lose him but there better long term option is quite clear here
    If Maddison was so good, why wouldn't Sheffield Utd be going for him instead? On paper he looks as good, and younger too
  • edited June 2017
    Marcus Maddison (Age 23) Stats:

Club - Games - Goals - Assists
    Peterborough United - 124- 30- 38
    Gateshead FC - 37- 13- 5
    Newcastle United U23 - 15- 4- 3
    TOTAL GP176 Goals47 Assists46 Yellows20 Reds 3Minutes12.576'

Ricky Holmes (Age 30) stats:
    Club - Games - Goals - Assists
    Barnet FC 103-17-16
    Portsmouth FC 62-2-12
    Northampton Town 53-16-12
    Charlton Athletic 38-13-6
    TOTAL GP256 Goals48 Assists46 Yellows32 Reds0 Minutes 18.319'
  • Who says he's unsettled?
    The only people that know if he's staying or going are him, his agent, KR, and KM & RD, everything is pure speculation, and Sheffield Utd making noises
  • In what world is Roland going to sell Holmes and pay for Maddison, who will probably cost more than we sell Holmes for? He still hasn't spent the Lookman money.
  • I doubt RD even knows who he is.
  • In what world is Roland going to sell Holmes and pay for Maddison, who will probably cost more than we sell Holmes for? He still hasn't spent the Lookman money.

Arguably he has in order to balance the books. Lookman's covered the running costs and player salaries last season I bet.

I don't think he ever intended to.

• JamesSeed said:

In what world is Roland going to sell Holmes and pay for Maddison, who will probably cost more than we sell Holmes for? He still hasn't spent the Lookman money.

I don't think he ever intended to.

Exactly my point.