Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:

JamesSeed said:

Sage said:

Have heard through a couple of things that Reeves could well be signed by this week Wednesday. Don't shoot me down if it doesn't happen, just passing on info.

Does his signing mean Holmes is off?
    Why would it? Reeves is a number 10 and Holmes is a winger.
    My sense is that our Dear Owner does not care about offensive formations and thus simply will look at the situation and say... "I can claim we upgraded the offense." He did that exact thing last year when he unloaded two of our best players and replaced them with Ajose. I fear it will be the same kind of logic. "I brought in someone and thus can sell someone else for a profit."

Maybe I am wrong. But it seems to me RD makes transfer moves with two things in mind... 1. Make a profit. 2. Be able to claim I brought in talent.

Signing Reeves allows him to sell Holmes and do both.
    Reeves is a free agent in 5 days time so won't cost RD anything but wages, which he may now have after shipping Igor off to Belgium.

Robinson had said he wants 2 players in every position, Reeves and Clarke would be the 2 10's, Holmes, Marshall, Fosu, and i would assume Cellabos are the 4 wingers.

If we get an offer in the 1mil region for a 30 year old we paid about 200k for a year ago then Holmes will be gone, and i don't blame the club selling him for that money really.

I think even RD can see everything he has done till now has been a massive failure so maybe he is going to let Robinson do it his way this summer and see where we are come January.
    Jeez, 1mil, and say goodbye to promotion chances?! By far our best player last year (exc including over Lookman). No way should a club with a rich owner be allowed to get away with selling him for lousy million.
    Expect renewed protests if he's sold. I'll for one be on the picket line!
    Edited for you. He was better than Ade for me. Ade was close but stilll raw, Holmes is a bit more cultured and knew how to do the things Ade will learn, such as winding up defenders to force fouls etc.

Ade will be ten times better at Holmes' age but Holmes just had more in his locker than a very young Ademola.
    Yup I'd agree with Holmes v. Lookman, but that's not really the issue. The point is selling Holmes would send out a terrible signal (not for the first time) and would reinforce views that they have no ambition for the club.
  • If Madison is worth 1.5m, is 23 with bags of potential then there is no way we will get that for Holmes who is 30 and never played higher​ than L1.

Yes he was our best player last season and I hope he stays, performs as good as last season and gets his chance to pay in the championship with us, but let's not kid ourselves thinking he is worth more than he is.

JBG did it for 2 seasons in the championship, played in the euros and was 25 when he went to the premier league for 2.5m
  • seth plum said:

Am I the only one who thinks Holmes should go in order to play at a higher level at the twilight of his career?
    If he is unsettled here then it might be a good idea to maximise any transfer fee IN ORDER TO REINVEST IN THE TEAM ROLAND.

But he doesn't do that. See Lookman sale.
  • robroy said:

Surely Holmes is wanting to try the Championship, he won't want to retire and think 'what could have been. I will be gutted if he left, but I think he will want to see if he can play at that level.

My hope is he may be convinced by an offer of a longer contract from us than Sheff U, giving him more security with his family settled.

Keeping him and bringing in Reeves may help persuade him that he could get his crack at the Championship with us in the season after.

What if another club from the Championship based in London were interested him in? Brentford for example

No need to up sticks, decent money , decent contract, guaranteed Championship football at the age of 30,
  • shirty5 said:

robroy said:

Surely Holmes is wanting to try the Championship, he won't want to retire and think 'what could have been. I will be gutted if he left, but I think he will want to see if he can play at that level.

My hope is he may be convinced by an offer of a longer contract from us than Sheff U, giving him more security with his family settled.

Keeping him and bringing in Reeves may help persuade him that he could get his crack at the Championship with us in the season after.

What if another club from the Championship based in London were interested him in? Brentford for example

No need to up sticks, decent money , decent contract, guaranteed Championship football at the age of 30,
    Surprised Ipswich haven't been in for him, Championship club, and not too far from his Southend roots.
  • edited June 2017

1.2m?

If we could get £1.2M, I would sell him in a second. I think the number being bandied about is £600k?
  • edited June 2017
    http://www.castrust.org/2017/06/karl-never-been-so-excited/

Version of fans forum meeting with Robinson

• JamesSeed said:

Dazzler21 said:

JamesSeed said:

Sage said:

Have heard through a couple of things that Reeves could well be signed by this week Wednesday. Don't shoot me down if it doesn't happen, just passing on info.

Does his signing mean Holmes is off?
    Why would it? Reeves is a number 10 and Holmes is a winger.
    My sense is that our Dear Owner does not care about offensive formations and thus simply will look at the situation and say... "I can claim we upgraded the offense." He did that exact thing last year when he unloaded two of our best players and replaced them with Ajose. I fear it will be the same kind of logic. "I brought in someone and thus can sell someone else for a profit."

Maybe I am wrong. But it seems to me RD makes transfer moves with two things in mind... 1. Make a profit. 2. Be able to claim I brought in talent.

Signing Reeves allows him to sell Holmes and do both.
    Reeves is a free agent in 5 days time so won't cost RD anything but wages, which he may now have after shipping Igor off to Belgium.

Robinson had said he wants 2 players in every position, Reeves and Clarke would be the 2 10's, Holmes, Marshall, Fosu, and i would assume Cellabos are the 4 wingers.

If we get an offer in the 1mil region for a 30 year old we paid about 200k for a year ago then Holmes will be gone, and i don't blame the club selling him for that money really.

I think even RD can see everything he has done till now has been a massive failure so maybe he is going to let Robinson do it his way this summer and see where we are come January.
    Jeez, 1mil, and say goodbye to promotion chances?! By far our best player last year (exc including over Lookman). No way should a club with a rich owner be allowed to get away with selling him for lousy million.
    Expect renewed protests if he's sold. I'll for one be on the picket line!
    Edited for you. He was better than Ade for me. Ade was close but stilll raw, Holmes is a bit more cultured and knew how to do the things Ade will learn, such as winding up defenders to force fouls etc.

Ade will be ten times better at Holmes' age but Holmes just had more in his locker than a very young Ademola.
    Yup I'd agree with Holmes v. Lookman, but that's not really the issue. The point is selling Holmes would send out a terrible signal (not for the first time) and would reinforce views that they have no ambition for the club.
    Exactly.

You cannot hope to progress by selling your best players.

Instead of buying and developing the squad, we continually sell and replace. But of course the football is secondary to the Belgians.
  • "we need ANOTHER 6 or 7 more" - only 1 week before the tour on Ireland so get a bl***y move on then !!!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2017
    Some (probably) dodgy twitter page posted in the last hour Holmes to Blades for £700k
  • Valley11 said:

Some (probably) dodgy twitter page posted in the last hour Holmes to Blades for £700k

Took a look it's junk I agree.
  • http://www.castrust.org/2017/06/karl-never-been-so-excited/

Version of fans forum meeting with Robinson

Good article. KR wants 6/7 more and Holmes is not for sale.

KR says there is no choice other than promotion, when last week he didn't want to mention promotion.

Anyway, we all know he continually contradicts himself, so I'll try and roll with it, unless it's really important, which this contradiction isn't.
  • 6 or 7 more? LOL!

The man is seriously deluded.
  • The money was there to win the league last season but we got mediocre players.
    Hmm, I wonder who he's referring to, and how they feel about being called mediocre by their manager!

But quite an optimistic interview, nevertheless
  • 6 or 7 more? LOL!

But when was the interview? The article is dated 28th June but this may not be the date the interview took place.

If it is current, my take would be the 3 he mentioned before and therefore 3 - 4 to leave and be replaced.
  • Redrobo said:

6 or 7 more? LOL!

But when was the interview? The article is dated 28th June but this may not be the date the interview took place.

If it is current, my take would be the 3 he mentioned before and therefore 3 - 4 to leave and be replaced.
    Fans forum meeting was on 23 June
  • Redrobo said:

6 or 7 more? LOL!

So the interview was after our 3 signings.
  • Holmes not for sale because he's sold.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Holmes not for sale because he's sold.

?

• Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:

6 or 7 more? LOL!

So the interview was after our 3 signings.
    Yes but I've heard different feedback from the same meeting.

Will check if able to share.
  • No minutes on the OS yet.....
  • Dazzler21 said:

Holmes not for sale because he's sold.

?

See CE post earlier up the page.
  • Dazzler21 said:

If Holmes wants to leave then the last thing we want is another uncommitted player. Take the 1.2 million on offer and bid for Maddison. Swiftly soften the loss of Holmes considerably.

I think you're being Harsh on Holmes, I think he's too proud to put in a bad performance, instead I think he'd work harder to force a move.
    I think you've got a point but if we are going to lose Holmes in a year anyway and we could sign up say Maddison on a three/four year contract then in the long run could be a better deal. A big if though!
    Why not both :wink: ?
  • Maddison will not be joining us, he hasn't requested to leave Peterborough to join us.

Furthermore, I understand a bit has been put in by Sunderland to take him back up there.
  • vffvff
    edited June 2017
  • vff said:
    Mmm,wonder if it's true and its being kept quiet until we maybe sign Reeves,good news\bad news