Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• I would feel Edwards would be frustrated, as far as I know he is highly rated yet we loaned in another teams youngster and bought a young one aswell. We lost two academy LB's and I reckon Edwards thought he might get a chance but it wasn't to be.
    Kennedy and Charles-Cook had a few appearances and then went backwards, possibly same of Umerah and Hanlan. Kag has been around the squad but not good enough IMO.
  • edited June 2017
    What would Corbyn do?

• Haven't seen anywhere saying he's 29....

And from the horses mouth, 5/5/87, so he's 30
  • @NapaAddick exactly how new to football are you?
  • edited June 2017
    English Football....3 years
    CAFC... 1 year
  • English Football....3 years
    CAFC... 1 year

What a catastrophic error you made in picking us :wink:
    Nonsense, you won't this level of off-field entertainment anywhere else
  • Sponsored links:

• Everyone has forgotten that the one and only Naby Sarr is due back so that's one more CB!!
  • GK - Phillips, ? - need another
    RB - Solly, ? - need another (or a utility player who can cover)
    CB - Pearce, Tex, Bauer, Konsa, Lennon - that's enough, maybe room to let one leave.
    LB - ?, Need 2 or maybe one with Lennon/Barnes as cover.
    CM - Kashi, Crofts, JFC, Jacko - 4 is enough in theory, but concerns over fitness of Kashi and Jacko, and Crofst/JFC yet to fully convince in terms of performance. - Need one more or Dijksteel to step up.
    Att Mid - Clarke, Holmes, Marshall, Fosu, Aribo, KAG, Ceballos. - Decent, but room for one more quality addition.
    Str - Big Mag, Ajose, Watt (maybe more Att Mid), Igor, Hanlan. - On paper its reasonable, but only 1 is definitely suited as a lone striker, questions marks about commitment and whether they'll be around for 3 of them - room for one more quality addition.

Have I missed anyone?

Assuming no one leaves (unlikely), I make it we need 3 or 4 just to fill glaring holes in the squad and at least 2 or 3 on top of that to really make it look a strong balanced squad with lots of competition for places.

Realistically though, making those last 2 or 3 signings will be dependent on shifting some underperformers, especially upfront and Att Mid where the squad looks a bit bloated. With the wages some of those guys are on it will be difficult to get them off the books.

It took more than one season to get us into this mess so it will take more than one to get out. Being extremely charitable and assuming KR and KM have finally got their act together, I still don't expect any more than a playoff run this season, unless they can find some mugs bigger than Roland to take our unwanted players off us permanently. Next year, we'll see a lot more contracts expiring and a chance to really undo the damage of the last 3.5 years. That is when I will think it is 100% reasonable to expect promotion.

I note you do not include Konsa. Surely he is the other CM and another CB. Can also cover RB, but with Solly's issues I think we need a RB better than Solly is now.
  • English Football....3 years
    CAFC... 1 year

What a catastrophic error you made in picking us :wink:
    Nonsense, you won't this level of off-field entertainment anywhere else
    Just a shame about the on field "entertainment"!!
  • edited June 2017
    The positions Robinson named in his interview for what's next in the recruitment were goalkeeper, right back, left back, winger and attacking midfielder. That has to be Martin, Dasilva and Reeves covering the goalkeeper, left back and attacking midfielder positions.

I would like us to bring in James Henry or even Forrester for the winger as well as still adding in Mavididi to the squad and Gleeson. In centre midfield it's a tough one, Jackson we can't really count anymore, he won't play much, Crofts is alright but if Kashi is here and fit, it'll be him and Forster-Caskey. We need more than these guys as well as Dijksteel and maybe Konsa. Gleeson would add something different.

To make us really serious promotion contenders, I think we need Holmes and Magennis to sign new deals, sign the 5 Robinson has mentioned as well as Mavididi and Gleeson. I think we would then be stronger in some positions than what we were when we won the league.
  • Article touches on fact that desire to see squad size cut. Getting that done and saving ££££s not simple due to wages some of the squad on.

— Richard Cawley (@RichCawleySLP) June 22, 2017
  • Really frustrating that we're still suffering for the transfer errors made 2 years ago, to think that Sarr still has THREE years left on his contract which is more than new signings like Clarke...
  • Hammer will probably be out on loan this season as he is dropping down pecking order.
  • Could've saved money and not signed Ajose, ditched Watt and kept Igor last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• TtŕkdxkrtThygrrktrbyþtrgTrjFO<del><del>T<del>Þ<del></del></del></del></del>ydRokttdotdodfrrorddkk

JamesSeed said:

I know this is sacrilege, but I'd like a more prolific striker than Magennis. It worries me that it took him so long to get his form back after injury. Looks good when he's at his very best though.

I have to agree with you there.
    I think Magennis adds a lot to the team but I can only see him scoring 12 to q5 goals a season.
    We badly need another striker who can at least match that total or indeed beat it if we are serious about promotion .
    In Robinson's 6 years at MK Dons the average number of goals scored by the top scorer was 15. He obviously expects goals to come from other players than the main striker.
  • Southbank said:

TtŕkdxkrtThygrrktrbyþtrgTrjFO<del><del>T<del>Þ<del></del></del></del></del>ydRokttdotdodfrrorddkk

JamesSeed said:

I know this is sacrilege, but I'd like a more prolific striker than Magennis. It worries me that it took him so long to get his form back after injury. Looks good when he's at his very best though.

I have to agree with you there.
    I think Magennis adds a lot to the team but I can only see him scoring 12 to q5 goals a season.
    We badly need another striker who can at least match that total or indeed beat it if we are serious about promotion .
    In Robinson's 6 years at MK Dons the average number of goals scored by the top scorer was 15. He obviously expects goals to come from other players than the main striker.
    thats a fair assessment and to be fair, I agree given how we have Marshall, Holmes, Clarke and even JFC to chip in. Still need another striker to push Magennis if/when Igor and Watt leave, and Novak/Ajose not good enough.
  • SIGNING | #rufc are delighted to confirm the signing of striker David Ball on a two-year deal.https://t.co/YjoTeXO7iW pic.twitter.com/h9Wsy96S5H

— Rotherham United (@OfficialRUFC) June 22, 2017
  • Good signing for Rotherham.
  • Could've saved money and not signed Ajose, ditched Watt and kept Igor last season.

I don't think there was any chance of Igor playing for us last season given how the previous two seasons went. He had recurring injury problems that were mishandled, and League One is very physical, which is not what you want coming off of injuries. Franky, don't blame him one bit.

Also, we've continuously tried to ditch Watt and can't. The closest we got was Cardiff under Slade which was unfortunately scuppered by them getting a transfer ban. I'm almost certain we would have let him go that transfer window or over the summer, but he doesn't seem to have any suitors.
  • SIGNING | #rufc are delighted to confirm the signing of striker David Ball on a two-year deal.https://t.co/YjoTeXO7iW pic.twitter.com/h9Wsy96S5H

— Rotherham United (@OfficialRUFC) June 22, 2017

Another 2 year deal!
  • Redrobo said:

Hammer will probably be out on loan this season as he is dropping down pecking order.

As long as he isn't still wearing those baggy trousers
  • I thought during last season there was a row with KR and at least one player (rumoured Tex), was showing his mobile around with the club he was joining this season on it, what happened to that? or was the story a lie, unusual for Charlton staff to lie
  • I don't get why people think Novak and Ajose arn't good enough. Novak scored 15 ? Goals the season before he joined us and Ajose 24. Certainly Novak only looks back up to Mac based on what we've seen but remember he didn't have a good pre season and picked up an injury pretty much straight away. I think he might well have something to offer. Nicky will always flit in and out of games and he has a lot to learn but he will score goals if played in a team creating chances. The way the squad is shaping up I do think we will create chances.

I like Novak, gets himself into good positions. Ajose deserves a second crack at it as a centre forward.