Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Swisdom said:

Redhenry said:

This

At his age I would guess the length of contract will be the most important

I'd heard 4 years was on the table
    Given what he has shown us he is capable, that seems fair. Especially when you consider the 5 year deals Daisy was throwing round for untried, and so far unproven, players.

Hope he stays. Like the look of the first couple through the door, but I thought that last year with our early signings only for us then to see a stream heading out the door and leaving, yet again, a depleted squad.

At the moment, still boycotting the Valley, but will try to get to a few more aways.
  • He has family down south so doesn't want to move away, but money talks. Could be his last chance to earn a big contract/play in the championship
  • I think we all know he will end up going. It is to who and when (I expect it to be pretty late in the day).

Why would he turn down the chance to play in the Championship? And why would Roland turn down cash?
  • Laddick01 said:

4 hours ago Holmes liked a tweet about playing Southend away at Christmas.
    I'm going to take that as him committing his future to the club

Off to Southend for £150k

"We felt the offer was a fair one for a player with only one year left on his contract" commented Katrien
  • Holmes will NOT stay
  • supaclive said:

Holmes will NOT stay

So says who?
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

supaclive said:

Holmes will NOT stay

So says who?
    He did.
  • seth plum said:

Swisdom said:

JamesSeed said:

Swisdom said:

I must admit I am delighted with Pearce signing a new contract. I hold my hands up and state I didn't think he was all that good however Our performances turned around dramatically towards the end of the season and this was largely attributable to a solid defence marshalled by him.

So far so good

Hoping Da Silva is coming back for the season. Think he is going to be a superstar but A season with us and hopefully getting promoted with us what to do both parties very good.

That, and the fact that we largely faced the poorest teams in the last 5 matches.
    At the point of his return WE were one of the poorest teams.

For the last 6 games KR has said he was happy we were playing more like he wanted us to. The stats for distances covered, passing, dribbles etc were all a vastly improved.

It's not all down to Pearce but he definitely marshals that defence better than Tex and/or Bauer.
    DaSilva clearly was a major factor, but it was also noticeable that JFC was starting to settle down and really make a contribution to cames
    JFC is still on my 'unsure' list.
    Usually I have a settled idea about a player after about 6 games, but for some reason not JFC.
    There are occasional flashes of excellence, there is a sometimes moody player without focus, there is sometimes an isolated person, there is sometimes a player who makes good runs and links with others, there is a player capable of a goal or two, but also one who can make poor decisions.
    I really struggle to understand what he is about, do others 'get' him yet?
    Well he scored in the last 2 matches, and contributed a couple of assists around that period too.

The injury affected his progress, as it happened just when he was trying to settle at a new club. I think there's a good midfield playmaker there, but one that needs good coaching to bring the best out. Lee Bowyer should be able to help! He has 12 England U21 caps, you don't get that many unless you have some ability.
    His technical ability should not be in question. Has a great left peg on him.

As Robinson alluded to after the Bolton game it's about consistency with him. He should be running things in midfield in this division. And to be fair, toward the end of the season he had some very good games.

It seemed that he came to us not particularly match fit, and then got injured. It was noticeable that when he came back from injury and had a run of 4-5 games in the side is when he really started to shine.

With a full pre-season behind him, I expect big things, especially if we have Kashi and/or Konsa in midfield alongside him. I'm also hoping we keep Magennis and Holmes, meaning we'd have a better attacking quartet than the end of last season, giving him more players to play with.
  • I think we all know he will end up going. It is to who and when (I expect it to be pretty late in the day).

Why would he turn down the chance to play in the Championship? And why would Roland turn down cash?

Don't think he'll go. He's played some of his best football here, is settled, and would probably be thinking of a promotion push (for which he'll be on a decent bonus).
  • JamesSeed said:

I know this is sacrilege, but I'd like a more prolific striker than Magennis. It worries me that it took him so long to get his form back after injury. Looks good when he's at his very best though.

I have to agree with you there.
    I think Magennis adds a lot to the team but I can only see him scoring 12 to q5 goals a season.
    We badly need another striker who can at least match that total or indeed beat it if we are serious about promotion .
  • Laddick01 said:

Isn't he from Southend? Maybe he's going to do a Danny Mills and get christmas off so he can come back from Sheffield.
  • JamesSeed said:

I know this is sacrilege, but I'd like a more prolific striker than Magennis. It worries me that it took him so long to get his form back after injury. Looks good when he's at his very best though.

I think Magennis adds a lot to the team but I can only see him scoring 12 to q5 goals a season.
    We badly need another striker who can at least match that total or indeed beat it if we are serious about promotion .
    In our formation we need the 3 attacking midfielders to weigh in with a decent number of goals as well
  • Laddick01 said:

I believe Southend is the other team interested in him besides Sheff Utd, so perhaps he is looking forward to playing against Charlton at Christmas
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:

Laddick01 said:

I believe Southend is the other team interested in him besides Sheff Utd, so perhaps he is looking forward to playing against Charlton at Christmas
    If any player would rather play for Southend over Charlton then we really are a train wreck aren't we?

• Rossman92 said:

ross1 said:

Laddick01 said:

If any player would rather play for Southend over Charlton then we really are a train wreck aren't we?

The sad thing is we cannot completely rule it out.:(
  • Rossman92 said:

ross1 said:

Laddick01 said:

What, that team that finished above us?
  • JamesSeed said:

I think he may have scored more but for the injury. It may have been the injury but the worrying thing for me was that he looked slightly disinterested after he came back last season. I could be interpreting it wrong, but he just seemed a little nonchalant
  • I am crushed that we did not get Liam Lindsay. I guess it is hard to pass up The Championship.

But how could we lose Ball to Rotherham? Rotherham was so bad last year they will be lucky to survive in L1 this season. We should have been able to get him. Easily.

And McLaughlin? He would be great at right back.

Frustrated!

Lazy daisy doing the negotiations.
    Expect very little and you won't be too disappointed
  • I am crushed that we did not get Liam Lindsay. I guess it is hard to pass up The Championship.

But how could we lose Ball to Rotherham? Rotherham was so bad last year they will be lucky to survive in L1 this season. We should have been able to get him. Easily.

Frustrated!

Were we ever interested in Ball or was it just some fans who thought he might be good? I don't remember seeing us ever linked with him?

Frustrated!

Perhaps we never wanted him. Or perhaps he wanted to stay up north...