Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• As far as I know, we have not pursued Ball.
    It's Reeves we have gone after. I doubt we get him either.

But Ball is quality, good for 10-14 goals easily every year, and I feel he was "gettable."

As a newer fan I think I look at it as... why not have Ball, Reeves and Holmes? That would be insane. And not even that expensive. Three midfielders all scoring 10-14. Heck, add in Ajose as a true striker and we have 40-60 goals between the 4 players. Sounds awesome.

And we have two of them already and the other two players are "free" transfers. What's so hard about that?

So I guess I keep wondering why our owners don't have more ambition?

Deep down I know the answer to that question but I keep hoping I am wrong. More and more I am seeing the reality and it frustrates me.

Not sure how you have all dealt with this for 3 years.

I think as a new fan you have a lot to learn. It isn't FIFA or football manager where you have a look at some decent players and take as you please. Out of all the players you've talked about throughout the thread I think we've actually been linked with 2 or 3 of them. There's such thing as being not interested, if we were you would've heard about it.
  • edited June 2017
    sam3110 said:

As far as I know, we have not pursued Ball.

But Ball is quality, good for 10-14 goals easily every year, and I feel he was "gettable."

As a newer fan I think I look at it as... why not have Ball, Reeves and Holmes? That would be insane. And not even that expensive. Three midfielders all scoring 10-14. Sounds awesome. And we have one already and the other two players are "free" transfers. What's so hard about that?

Deep down I know the answer to that question but I keep hoping I am wrong. More and more I am seeing the reality and it frustrates me.

Why can't you have all 3? Because how the feck would you fit them into the same team, and keep them all happy.

And just because they've scored a dozen goals in one season, doesn't mean that's what happen every season, look at Ajose for instance.

Football isn't as simple as that
    Are you saying that we can't have three good players in the middle because they all want to be the center of attention? That they will be upset that they are flanked by other good players? That seems an odd statement. Don't understand.

Is the alternative to make sure we only have one good player in each part of the field so they are "happy?" I don't see that problem at Real Madrid or any other successful club.

• sam3110 said:

As a newer fan I think I look at it as... why not have Ball, Reeves and Holmes? That would be insane. And not even that expensive. Three midfielders all scoring 10-14. Sounds awesome. And we have one already and the other two players are "free" transfers. What's so hard about that?

Why can't you have all 3? Because how the feck would you fit them into the same team, and keep them all happy.

And just because they've scored a dozen goals in one season, doesn't mean that's what happen every season, look at Ajose for instance.

Are you saying that we can't have three good players in the middle because they all want to be the center of attention? That they will be upset that they are flanked by other good players? That seems an odd statement. Don't understand.

Is the alternative to make sure we only have one good player in each part of the field so they are "happy?" I don't see that problem at Real Madrid or any other successful club.

You can't hve 3 good players in the middle because thats not a formation you can play.

And they won't sign for us just to sit on the bench, when they can sign elsewhere and play week in week out
  • sam3110 said:

At Real they tend to be on £50k+ a week... I reckon that's a factor. Just line someone leaving a lower league club to sit on a higher bench. It's down to the money, difference is in our situation you can't afford to pay top wages for already covered positions and need to priorities who you want to sign. Which KR would've done, he will be looking a lot deeper than player stats as you probably have though.

As a newer fan I think I look at it as... why not have Ball, Reeves and Holmes? That would be insane. And not even that expensive. Three midfielders all scoring 10-14. Heck, add in Ajose as a true striker and we have 40-60 goals between the 4 players. Sounds awesome.

And we have two of them already and the other two players are "free" transfers. What's so hard about that?

dont let that stop people moaning that we didn't sign him before Rotherham did.
  • Okay, this is all good info to consider.

So should we just be looking to add one in the middle and one in defense and a keeper?

Why do I hear so many say "We need 7 new players" when, if we did that, we would have the problems you are discussing?
  • Okay, this is all good info to consider.

So should we just be looking to add one in the middle and one in defense and a keeper?

Why do I hear so many say "We need 7 new players" when, if we did that, we would have the problems you are discussing?

Because we need 7 new players, you need cover in each position

A goalkeeper, a right back, a left back, a centre back, an attacking central midfielder, a winger and a striker is all still needed.

But we don't need to sign Reeves and Ball, especially when Holmes, Clarke, Fosu and Aribo can play in that position.
  • edited June 2017
    sam3110 said:

sam3110 said:

You can't hve 3 good players in the middle because thats not a formation you can play.

And they won't sign for us just to sit on the bench, when they can sign elsewhere and play week in week out
    Wait 4-5-1 isn't a formation now?

You play with the rule of deepest of the three plays a more holding role so the other 2 can attack. Yes it requires a real team chemistry so they know when to attack/hold but it shouldn't be impossible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

sam3110 said:

sam3110 said:

Wait 4-5-1 isn't a formation now?

You play with the rule of deepest of the three plays a more holding role so the other 2 can attack. Yes it requires a real team chemistry so they know when to attack/hold but it shouldn't be impossible.
    We are talking league one players here.
    There's a reason they are playing in league one.
    Just go 4 4 2 and keep it simple I say.
  • edited June 2017
    Scoham said:
    Forrester apparently flew in to Gatwick today, believed to meet with representatives of either Charlton or Southend. He is totally out of favour at Rangers and was sent home from training last week.
  • I can't see him meeting with us after what Robinson said earlier
  • Redhenry said:

supaclive said:

Holmes will NOT stay

That's the spirit :smile:
    In all seriousness, what do you think our chances are of keeping him? Assuming you've heard anything.
  • Redhenry said:

supaclive said:

Holmes will NOT stay

In all seriousness, what do you think our chances are of keeping him? Assuming you've heard anything.

I think the noises coming out of the club and from people that know Ricky are positive. Of course until he puts pen to paper all the positivity in the world is meaningless.
  • Redhenry said:

supaclive said:

Holmes will NOT stay

I hope and think he will stay.
  • Redhenry said:

supaclive said:

Holmes will NOT stay

I think the noises coming out of the club and from people that know Ricky are positive. Of course until he puts pen to paper all the positivity in the world is meaningless.
    Redhenry said:

Redhenry said:

supaclive said:

Holmes will NOT stay

I hope and think he will stay.
    Well it sounds positive, seems like he's back now so we might find out soon.
  • There are some weeks to go before the window closes. I'm sure his agent will be urging him to hold fire on the off chance that he gets a seriously big offer but let's hope he signs sooner rather than later.
  • Sponsored links:

I think as a new fan you have a lot to learn. It isn't FIFA or football manager where you have a look at some decent players and take as you please. Out of all the players you've talked about throughout the thread I think we've actually been linked with 2 or 3 of them. There's such thing as being not interested, if we were you would've heard about it.
    You try telling Thomas Driesen that.
  • GK - Phillips, ? - need another
    RB - Solly, ? - need another (or a utility player who can cover)
    CB - Pearce, Tex, Bauer, Konsa, Lennon - that's enough, maybe room to let one leave.
    LB - ?, Need 2 or maybe one with Lennon/Barnes as cover.
    CM - Kashi, Crofts, JFC, Jacko - 4 is enough in theory, but concerns over fitness of Kashi and Jacko, and Crofst/JFC yet to fully convince in terms of performance. - Need one more or Dijksteel to step up.
    Att Mid - Clarke, Holmes, Marshall, Fosu, Aribo, KAG, Ceballos. - Decent, but room for one more quality addition.
    Str - Big Mag, Ajose, Watt (maybe more Att Mid), Igor, Hanlan. - On paper its reasonable, but only 1 is definitely suited as a lone striker, questions marks about commitment and whether they'll be around for 3 of them - room for one more quality addition.

Have I missed anyone?

Assuming no one leaves (unlikely), I make it we need 3 or 4 just to fill glaring holes in the squad and at least 2 or 3 on top of that to really make it look a strong balanced squad with lots of competition for places.

Realistically though, making those last 2 or 3 signings will be dependent on shifting some underperformers, especially upfront and Att Mid where the squad looks a bit bloated. With the wages some of those guys are on it will be difficult to get them off the books.

It took more than one season to get us into this mess so it will take more than one to get out. Being extremely charitable and assuming KR and KM have finally got their act together, I still don't expect any more than a playoff run this season, unless they can find some mugs bigger than Roland to take our unwanted players off us permanently. Next year, we'll see a lot more contracts expiring and a chance to really undo the damage of the last 3.5 years. That is when I will think it is 100% reasonable to expect promotion.

Konsa can fill in admirably at RB and therefore can be your back up and justify the fifth cb. Page at LB but fitness concerns.

I'd say 'urgent' is GK & LB. Then CM, and one more winger preferably for competition - perhaps a loan. Don't know enough about Dijksteel but if he can step up then great.

After that it's got to be trading up on the weaker/less suited players who are then moved out but this is going to be wishful thinking.

My worry is the depth of squad which is always the worry under this lot.
  • edited June 2017

GK - Phillips, ? - need another
    CB - Pearce, Tex, Bauer, Konsa, Lennon - that's enough, maybe room to let one leave.
    CM - Kashi, Crofts, JFC, Jacko - 4 is enough in theory, but concerns over fitness of Kashi and Jacko, and Crofst/JFC yet to fully convince in terms of performance. - Need one more or Dijksteel to step up.
    Att Mid - Clarke, Holmes, Marshall, Fosu, Aribo, KAG, Ceballos. - Decent, but room for one more quality addition.
    Str - Big Mag, Ajose, Watt (maybe more Att Mid), Igor, Hanlan. - On paper its reasonable, but only 1 is definitely suited as a lone striker, questions marks about commitment and whether they'll be around for 3 of them - room for one more quality addition.

Have I missed anyone?

Assuming no one leaves (unlikely), I make it we need 3 or 4 just to fill glaring holes in the squad and at least 2 or 3 on top of that to really make it look a strong balanced squad with lots of competition for places.

Realistically though, making those last 2 or 3 signings will be dependent on shifting some underperformers, especially upfront and Att Mid where the squad looks a bit bloated. With the wages some of those guys are on it will be difficult to get them off the books.

It took more than one season to get us into this mess so it will take more than one to get out. Being extremely charitable and assuming KR and KM have finally got their act together, I still don't expect any more than a playoff run this season, unless they can find some mugs bigger than Roland to take our unwanted players off us permanently. Next year, we'll see a lot more contracts expiring and a chance to really undo the damage of the last 3.5 years. That is when I will think it is 100% reasonable to expect promotion.

I think you missed Novak upfront although it's an easy mistake to make based on his contribution last season.
  • And Igor is off
  • U missed novak
  • Of course, yes Novak and Page. The old memory ain't what it used to be.

So probably only one left back needed. Still considerable room for improvement upfront, but one or two definitely need to leave before anyone else comes in IMHO.
  • And Igor is off

Apparently, but you know what Henry says.
  • edited June 2017

A few questions....

Would Connor McLaughlin (Fleetwood) be an upgrade at RB?

Would Ben Reeves be an upgrade at attack mid if we made Holmes a striker? Or an upgrade at CM, if we don't make Holmes a Str?

What about Marcus Maddison at ACM, with Holmes at Striker?

Would David Ball have been an upgrade at Str or ACM in some configuration?

Would Nathan Thomson have helped the defense?

How about James Henry, who is a free agent?

Are these possibilities even upgrades in the first place?

Sorry for all the questions, I am wondering if these people are any better than what we already have. Thanks.
  • edited June 2017

A few questions....

Would Connor McLaughlin (Fleetwood) be an upgrade at RB?

Would Ben Reeves be an upgrade at attack mid if we made Holmes a striker? Or an upgrade at CM, if we don't make Holmes a Str?

What about Marcus Maddison at ACM, with Holmes at Striker?

Would David Ball have been an upgrade at Str or ACM in some configuration?

Are these possibilities even upgrades in the first place?

Thanks.
    For christs sake dont ask these to Boris.

• GK and LB would seem the most urgent spots to fill.

Another question would be who of the academy players are ready to step up. The likes of Edwards, Barnes, RCC, Djiksteel, Lapslie, Kag, Hanlan, Umerah, Kennedy are all around the same age as Konsa if not slightly older, and would be hoping for more first team action here or elsewhere