Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• I thought we would get a striker in, but I think that no one will now come in. Cue the usual excuses.
  • Anything that weakens the squad would be ridiculous at this stage and they will deserve the reaction that will lead to.

Think I said 2-3 weeks ago that Robbo's comments were pointing to a loan and I've not really thought that would change, so expect an inexperienced youngster a la Dasilva or Makvididi last season from one of the London / South East clubs
  • Nothing will happen today
  • Its ok Sarr will do a job up front and josh can cover goalie. Bob peters done alright with no back ups in squad. Well until end of September. 2 players for every position ha ha yea good one.
  • At best a youngster in on loan and I still think one or two will go out on loan from the u23's
  • edited August 2017
    I think he is desperate to get Phillips out on loan so he can play 40 odd games as number 1 somewhere to get experience, hence I think we will get a keeper in. I also think, with the fairly good start we've had, he will look to get another striker in that will be extra competition for Josh. He must know, surely, that between now and January it is very likely Josh/Novak will either get injured, lose form, suspended, and with Marshall out at least until October he would have to rely on youngsters or change his preferred formation to 4-4-2, as we don't have another big target man. Just my thoughts early on the final day of the transfer window.
  • The spin, if nothing happens, will be we turned down big but undisclosed offers so showing that lessons have been learnt.

But still suspect an arrival or two to happen and some U23s to go out on loan.
  • Personally I think we just need 1 or 2 more perhaps to fight for promotion based on what I've seen so far

The only players I wouldn't have a problem leaving would be

Lennon (think his chances are limited here)
    Crofts
    Regan Cook (needs experience)

The rest we need to keep imo
  • Sponsored links:

• Just as a guide for this thread today, all the usual nonsense to continue in this thread, if we do actually sign someone or someone leaves, take the conversation then to a separate dedicated thread. Ta
  • Todays press conference should give us a clue as to if anything will happen today
  • edited August 2017

Todays press conference should give us a clue as to if anything will happen today

Wonder if it'll be cancelled till tomorrow because of it being deadline day - thats happened in the past hasnt it?
  • 14.5 hours to go.

Sits back and expects

Not a lot
  • May as well close the thread now
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm working from home today ;)

Coincidence I swear!
  • Swisdom said:

We've tried to sign the players Robinson wants and they are not available. There is very little point in us signing someone for the sake of signing someone.

If we can't get a keeper then Dillon Phillips stays. Not the best thing for everyone but it is best for the club.

If however novak goes then we must replace him with someone. Seeing as our choices are not available I don't think Novak will go anywhere this window.

Yeah, didn't want promotion anyway did we.
  • Swisdom said:

We've tried to sign the players Robinson wants and they are not available. There is very little point in us signing someone for the sake of signing someone.

Today's the day when we find out whether they are really not available. Their clubs may have been holding on to see if they get better offers and knew they don't need to rush until today unless charlton started sniffing around buying somebody else instead. Clubs with debts and insufficient income that can't be supplemented by a rich owner need to offload players when they can (i.e. the transfer window) to reduce their overheads.
  • Scoham said:

Swisdom said:

If we can't get a keeper then Dillon Phillips stays. Not the best thing for everyone but it is best for the club.

If however novak goes then we must replace him with someone. Seeing as our choices are not available I don't think Novak will go anywhere this window.

So there's literally no one out there that's affordable and could at least compete with Magennis and Novak?
    Sure there are. But do their clubs want to sell them, and do the players themselves want to move?
  • edited August 2017
    Scoham said:

Swisdom said:

So there's literally no one out there that's affordable and could at least compete with Magennis and Novak?
    :+1: ^ This a thousand times over. Everyone has their price and if you want it that badly you go and get it. Of course it might still happen but the previous signs do not fill you with confidence.
  • Swisdom said:

Yeah, didn't want promotion anyway did we.
    Thing is whilst I agree we shouldn't sign anyone just for the sake of getting bodies in, it does make me wonder how long we have to work on signings now. I mean we supposedly started working on this summer's recruits in January, we still haven't completed the squad so maybe we have to start even further ahead..........is Messi's Mrs pregnant?
  • JamesSeed said:

Scoham said:

Swisdom said:

Sure there are. But do their clubs want to sell them, and do the players themselves want to move?
    Premier League youngsters, Championship reserves, smaller League 1 clubs, League 2, Scotland, abroad, free agents? Must be someone out there more proven than RHF that isn't overpriced? This isn't like the years under Parkinson where the most we could afford was a nominal fee.

I get why someone like Grigg isn't available, but that was always likely to be the case.
  • edited August 2017
    JamesSeed said:

Scoham said:

Swisdom said:

And do we actually have any genuine ambitions to sign them?

Been a summer of excuses from Robinson (no doubt on behalf of Katrien) with probably a couple more to come today.

Still got a chance of promotion, as long as nobody gets injured, suspended or loses form