Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• I'm not saying any one system is better or worse than any other but 4-4-2 is the most popular system in the footballing world. It's that for a reason. Any team that cannot revert to that system as and when it's required is deficient in either players or coaching.
  • The 2017 Summer Transfer Pun Thread
  • I'm not saying any one system is better or worse than any other but 4-4-2 is the most popular system in the footballing world. It's that for a reason. Any team that cannot revert to that system as and when it's required is deficient in either players or coaching.

Most popular in Britain. But I get what you're saying, I just don't know that 4-4-2 is the answer.
  • When we won League 1 with Powell we started with BWP and Hayes up front who was then replaced by Yann, what other forwards did we have/use?
  • Given that Brentford are letting dean go to Birmingham, wouldn't be surprised if they didn't invest some of that in Sarr or Konsa or at least try to
  • iaitch said:

When we won League 1 with Powell we started with BWP and Hayes up front who was then replaced by Yann, what other forwards did we have/use?

Benson and Euell to start with. In January we added Clarke and Haynes. Later on we loaned N'Guessan who also spent time playing out wide.

Lacked depth that time but fortunately we made it to January without any serious injuries up front.
  • Sponsored links:

• iaitch said:

When we won League 1 with Powell we started with BWP and Hayes up front who was then replaced by Yann, what other forwards did we have/use?

Danny Haynes, Jason Euell and Leon Clarke

• Scoham said:

iaitch said:

Benson and Euell to start with. In January we added Clarke and Haynes. Later on we loaned N'Guessan who also spent time playing out wide.

Lacked depth that time but fortunately we made it to January without any serious injuries up front.
    I don't think we did lack depth up front though. Hayes, Kerms and BWP were 3 good forwards with 2 other decent ones as cover. When we lost Benson and then Hayes, we replaced them with Haynes and Clarke. Then had N'Guessan. We never had less than 5 experienced strikers, now we have 2, although 3 would probably do as we are only playing 1 up front.
  • Not in numbers but Euell never looked good enough to start and Benson was very limited. I was thinking Benson left in August but actually he was swapped with Clarke in January.
  • Wouldn't be overly shocked if Josh Wright joins Billericay. Yes I know he's far too good for them, but so is the majority of their squad!
  • Scoham said:

Not in numbers but Euell never looked good enough to start and Benson was very limited. I was thinking Benson left in August but actually he was swapped with Clarke in January.

Euell hadn't played as a striker since the mid 2000s anyway, I never understood why people thought he'd come back and be a goalscorer for us, when he'd been averaging 2 or 3 a season.

That's 3 decent players, and 2 mediocre backups to fill 2 spaces

Currently we have 2 (being generous) decent players plus 1 young striker to fill 1 space, so the ratio isn't much different...
  • Scoham said:

Not in numbers but Euell never looked good enough to start and Benson was very limited. I was thinking Benson left in August but actually he was swapped with Clarke in January.

Euell hadn't played as a striker since the mid 2000s anyway, I never understood why people thought he'd come back and be a goalscorer for us, when he'd been averaging 2 or 3 a season.

That's 3 decent players, and 2 mediocre backups to fill 2 spaces

Currently we have 2 (being generous) decent players plus 1 young striker to fill 1 space, so the ratio isn't much different...
    I disagree with that, the depth back then was still better than what we have now. We also had Michael Smith as a decent young forward, albeit not a prolific one.

You talk about Benson and Euell being mediocre, there is currently no proof that Novak is better than that anyway.

We were lucky with injuries and not sure Yann and BWP could be replaced too effectively, but I would still prefer those squad numbers than what we have now.
  • Chrispy51 said:

I'm not saying any one system is better or worse than any other but 4-4-2 is the most popular system in the footballing world. It's that for a reason. Any team that cannot revert to that system as and when it's required is deficient in either players or coaching.

Apart from in almost every top-level team in Europe where a single striker and support players is preferred...
    I think your statement proves my point. We are not and nowhere near a top level team.

• Chrispy51 said:

I'm not saying any one system is better or worse than any other but 4-4-2 is the most popular system in the footballing world. It's that for a reason. Any team that cannot revert to that system as and when it's required is deficient in either players or coaching.

Apart from in almost every top-level team in Europe where a single striker and support players is preferred...
    I think your statement proves my point. We are not and nowhere near a top level team.

True, although the 4-4-2 is not that frequently used outside the British Isles. And even within them, teams are increasingly moving away from it.

The latest movement is back to a 3-5-2/3-4-3. I think on the opening weekend something like all but four teams played with a back three. But these things are cyclical.

Personally, if we were going to change formation I'd think a 3-4-3 would make better sense for the players we have, especially given our quality in depth at CB. DaSilva is very much a wing back, and I think Solly could do a job on the right, or maybe RCC or Barnes with their athleticism. Alternatively, someone like Fosu or Holmes could be tried on the right. Something Dortmund sometimes did last year in their 3-4-3 was play one full back and one winger, so perhaps something like that, especially if Solly gets hurt.
  • Sponsored links:

• sm said:

iaitch said:

Leon Clarke, an absolute shocking signing. Against Powell's wishes I believe.
  • Have Arsenal got any players left we can borrow?
  • sm said:

iaitch said:

Clarke really didn't get a fair crack when he was with us to be fair to him, not saying he is a world beater but seems to score goals at most clubs he played for
  • Must be some loans available. where is Thomas Dreisden when you need him?
  • edited August 2017

sm said:

iaitch said:

Clarke really didn't get a fair crack when he was with us to be fair to him, not saying he is a world beater but seems to score goals at most clubs he played for
    You might be right but I still have flashbacks now of him coming on as a sub at the valley and running knees up to his chest going nowhere fast as he tried to chase a ball down. Either the pitch was a quagmire, which it wasn't or someone had swapped his boots for a pair of deep sea diver's, which they hadn't.

First impressions that day were that he was a donkey albeit one with goal scoring record :wink:
  • Redrobo said:

Have Arsenal got any players left we can borrow?

Sanchez and Ox both want to leave
  • I actually wouldn't mind adding a Danny Haynes style player now. We miss having a bit of pace up front, someone to get behind the two centre halves. Even just as a plan B sub option

That type of striker would be ideal and KR has pretty much said that himself.
    But listen, you know what it’s like. Do we need anything? Probably that quick number nine in case we want to change things.
    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15497789._What_do_we_need___Charlton_boss_issues_transfer_update_after_Rotherham_win/