Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Really need another striker. Doubt Novak and KAG will get double figures between them. If we don't it's stupid, frustrating but not surprising...
  • Really need another striker. Doubt Novak and KAG will get double figures between them. If we don't it's stupid, frustrating but not surprising...

Does Vetokele have a recall clause? Still reckon he could do a job in this league.
    No he doesn't and he is injured.

• Just read a report that Robinson wants a speed merchant. Not sure what the thinking is. Change to 4-4-2 for plan be if not winning?

We've had two Strikers on the pitch against Rotherham and Norwich now...
    Watching the stream it looked like Novak just took Clarke's place and played behind Magennis.
  • cafc4life said:

dickplumb said:

Really need another striker. Doubt Novak and KAG will get double figures between them. If we don't it's stupid, frustrating but not surprising...

Does Vetokele have a recall clause? Still reckon he could do a job in this league.

He scored St Truidens winner yesterday mate
    Sorry about that, he was injured I should have checked.
  • edited August 2017
    Scoham said:

Just read a report that Robinson wants a speed merchant. Not sure what the thinking is. Change to 4-4-2 for plan be if not winning?

Watching the stream it looked like Novak just took Clarke's place and played behind Magennis.
    I would agree with this as I was there however I'm not so sure FA is actually saying we went 4-4-2 rather that we had two 'strikers' on the pitch.
  • RedChaser said:

Scoham said:

Just read a report that Robinson wants a speed merchant. Not sure what the thinking is. Change to 4-4-2 for plan be if not winning?

I would agree with this as I was there however I'm not so sure FA is actually saying we went 4-4-2 rather that we had two 'strikers' on the pitch.
    There is a big difference. With the former opponents need to commit more than two defenders and the front man has the option of playing the ball past the defenders rather than backwards, the only option with a lone frontman.
  • Scoham said:

RedChaser said:

Scoham said:

To be honest I dont remember seeing Novak during the stream that much... Was referring more to the two Strikers than 4-4-2 formation though
  • edited August 2017

RedChaser said:

Scoham said:

There is a big difference. With the former opponents need to commit more than two defenders and the front man has the option of playing the ball past the defenders rather than backwards, the only option with a lone frontman.
    Quite, however getting back to yesterday it's likely that KR wanted more height on the pitch from Novak in anticipation of an aerial bombardment / set pieces especially with 9 minutes injury time to play. Fosu, Holmes or Aherne-Grant are no slouches and capable of performing the speedy Gonzalez role although anyone signed would have to have hold up player attributes as well otherwise what's the point.
  • Sponsored links:

• This is the transfer thread, not the post match thread lol
  • Blucher said:

Interesting clip on Fergie. I remember in the spring of 68/69 when we were challenging for promotion, the Evening Standard or the Evening News carried a story that we were interested in signing George Graham from Arsenal for £80,000. In the event, we purchased the 33/34 year old Ray Crawford from Ipswich for the more Gliksten-like outlay of £10,000.

Unfortunately didn't work.Next season we finished 3rd from bottom.Dont think Sir Matty Tees got on well with Crawford- What might have been!???
  • dickplumb said:

Really need another striker. Doubt Novak and KAG will get double figures between them. If we don't it's stupid, frustrating but not surprising...

Also Igor thinks we stink.

• edited August 2017
    Obviously strikers, good ones, are rare. I think we can all agree.

So exactly WHY would anyone sell us such a rare commodity for one million? Or sell at all?

They don't care about what we need. And since selling a striker just means THEY would now have a huge hole in THEIR offense and maybe even get relegated for the choice..... WHY do it? Please don't say "money" because evidence shows that being a "selling club" does not increase profits over the long-term, once losses from relegation and lower attendances are taken into account.

I don't see ANY club selling us a "good" striker after the season has begun, even for a mil or two. Maybe... maybe... if this is the last year on their contract or they are screaming to leave or are on the bench for a Premier League powerhouse. But if either of those three situations existed, those strikers were already sold off.

Frankly, any club that sells us a striker at this late stage, I would wonder what they know..... and we don't.

I am just gonna go on the record and say one of the two happens...

1. We get no striker at all in the remainder of the window
    2. If we get one, whoever we get, is a bust (scores less than 10.)

That's my prediction and I am sticking with it.
  • Obviously strikers, good ones, are rare.

So exactly WHY would anyone sell us such a rare commodity for one million? Or sell at all?

They don't care about what WE need. And since selling a striker just means THEY would now have a huge hole in THEIR offense and maybe even get relegated for the choice..... WHY?

I don't see ANY club selling us a "good" striker after the season has begun, even for a mil or two. Maybe... maybe... if this is the last year on their contract or they are screaming to leave. But if either of those two situations existed, those strikers were already sold off.

Frankly, any club that sells us a striker at this late stage, I would wonder what they know..... and we don't.

I am just gonna go on the record and say one of the two happens...

1. We get no striker at all in the remainder of the window
    2. If we get one, whoever we get, is a bust (scores less than 10.)

That's my prediction.

I'm convinced that we will not sign a striker worth his salt from another League 1 team. No way Wigan will sell Griggs to a rival team.

That basically leaves us with 4 possible outcomes -

1. We sign a reserve team player from a Prem/Champ team on loan.
    2. We go all out to sign a decent lower Champ level player and pay a fee for his services
    3. We take a chance and sign an unproven (at League 1 level) League 2 or lower player
    4. We sign nobody and make do with the current squad.
  • That makes sense.
  • Leaving aside all other considerations with Will Grigg, Wigan sold Omar Bogle to Cardiff for a substantial (albeit undisclosed) sum earlier this month. Given that they haven't replaced him yet, why would they want to leave themselves short of another striker going into a long and arduous season ?

Hopefully we'll get something done before the deadline with one of the other targets.
  • The only way I can see Grigg coming to us would be if they sign Eoin Doyle who they were linked with in yesterday's Sun. Played for Wigan boss Paul Cook at Portsmouth and is out of favour at PNE.
  • Robbo corrected himself in mid flow talking about our transfer activity and I think he was going to say "we weren't going to be aggressive...." and it came out "we were as aggressive as we could".

Obviously wanted to say "the tight git won't give me the money I need"
  • My colleagues father played for Queens Park and when he moved south Dagenham and Redbridge, also represented Scotland as an amateur International (when such teams existed). He was in banking and did not want to turn pro.
    However in his playing days in Scotland he faced Alex Ferguson several times and says that as a player he was a nasty piece of work, jabbing fingers towards eyes, sly kicks and bollock grabs, moaning and gamesmanship, and generally far from sporting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

Reams keeps talking about Louis Moult of Motherwell. Tbf he looks pretty decent

So you can count that as definitely not happening then
  • We definately need cover up front. i don't see a premiership youngster as right for that, as their parent club would expect them to be playing which means relegating Novak and Mag to the bench for a youngster. I hope we get someone as it looks as if we have the machine up and running at least, and we will rue the day if the injuries kick in in november and we don't have the cover we need.
    Why anyone thinks we need to move people out to afford cover (Lookman, tex, vetokele, ajose etc) beats me. We thinned the squad, now id the time to finish the job. I wasn't impressed with KR last year, but at the moment he has done as good a job as anyone could reasonably expect so I hope the management back him as the window slowly closes. But I'm not holding my breath now.
  • seth plum said:

My colleagues father played for Queens Park and when he moved south Dagenham and Redbridge, also represented Scotland as an amateur International (when such teams existed). He was in banking and did not want to turn pro.
    However in his playing days in Scotland he faced Alex Ferguson several times and says that as a player he was a nasty piece of work, jabbing fingers towards eyes, sly kicks and bollock grabs, moaning and gamesmanship, and generally far from sporting.

Funnily enough though the description is entirely believable. Nasty bastard but a winner
  • edited August 2017
    Less than a week to go to get a forward in, assuming Novak stays. If he goes, we need two.

Robinson also appears to want a winger, which is understandable given Marshall's injury.

We also need a keeper if Philips is going out on loan.

So that's three players and keeping hold of Konsa. Will it happen?
  • edited August 2017

Swisdom said:

seth plum said:

My colleagues father played for Queens Park and when he moved south Dagenham and Redbridge, also represented Scotland as an amateur International (when such teams existed). He was in banking and did not want to turn pro.

Arsène Wenger Said the same about him while he was a manager.
  • seth plum said:

Arsène Wenger Said the same about him while he was a manager.
  • edited August 2017

This has been reported in The Guardian - A Done Deal!

Bristol City have signed exciting West Brom forward Jonathan Leko on loan for the season. He’s an excellent prospect – it’ll be interesting to see how things work out for him in the Championship.

Could open the way for Matt Taylor to leave.

He's more of a wide forward/winger than an out and out striker. Does seem a decent prospect.
  • Seems to make sense for City to let Taylor out on loan to regain fitness at a level he was prolific at.
    Maybe a loan to January?
    That would be a bit rubbish for us though.
  • Valley11 said:

Seems to make sense for City to let Taylor out on loan to regain fitness at a level he was prolific at.
    Maybe a loan to January?
    That would be a bit rubbish for us though.

I think a loan until January is about as good as can be expected.

Just going through their team, Bristol City have five center forwards not including Leko, who really isn't one. They like to play a 4-2-3-1 from what I can tell, so numerically it is possible that they'd let one go out on loan.
    Taylor
    Djuric
    Garita
    Woodrow
    Diedhiou

But just doing a little reading, it seems Garita, Djuric, and Taylor are all working their way back from injuries.

I really struggle to see Taylor coming to us.