Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:

Swisdom said:

Reeves is the new Delort.

Reeves looks like a dick

Delort was a dick
    God can you imagine us signing him for the alleged £5m

Obviously strikers, good ones, are rare.

So exactly WHY would anyone sell us such a rare commodity for one million? Or sell at all?

They don't care about what WE need. And since selling a striker just means THEY would now have a huge hole in THEIR offense and maybe even get relegated for the choice..... WHY?

I don't see ANY club selling us a "good" striker after the season has begun, even for a mil or two. Maybe... maybe... if this is the last year on their contract or they are screaming to leave. But if either of those two situations existed, those strikers were already sold off.

Frankly, any club that sells us a striker at this late stage, I would wonder what they know..... and we don't.

I am just gonna go on the record and say one of the two happens...

1. We get no striker at all in the remainder of the window
    2. If we get one, whoever we get, is a bust (scores less than 10.)

That's my prediction.

I'm convinced that we will not sign a striker worth his salt from another League 1 team. No way Wigan will sell Griggs to a rival team.

That basically leaves us with 4 possible outcomes -

1. We sign a reserve team player from a Prem/Champ team on loan.
    2. We go all out to sign a decent lower Champ level player and pay a fee for his services
    3. We take a chance and sign an unproven (at League 1 level) League 2 or lower player
    4. We sign nobody and make do with the current squad.
    My moneys on 4
  • 1 for me, I do think we will get one in, I'm hoping Taylor but thinking the lad from Boro might be the one.
  • 4. Nothing for now & then maybe a loan from a Prem club until Jan. Then in Jan if we are top 6 they will try again.
  • What's Vaz Te up to?
  • We ain't signing no-one. Loan or two towards the end of the loan window, KR apoplectic.
    #evertheoptimist
  • What's Vaz Te up to?

Playing in the Chinese Super League for Henan Jianye, whoever they are!
  • Less than a week to go to get a forward in, assuming Novak stays. If he goes, we need two.

Robinson also appears to want a winger, which is understandable given Marshall's injury.

We also need a keeper if Philips is going out on loan.

So that's three players and keeping hold of Konsa. Will it happen?

And when Konsa is sold on the last day of the window, we'll need 4.

Expect something like, "We were hopeful of adding to the squad, but unfortunately we weren't successful in completing those deals in time."

You know how it goes.

• edited August 2017
    Oggy Red said:

Less than a week to go to get a forward in, assuming Novak stays. If he goes, we need two.

Robinson also appears to want a winger, which is understandable given Marshall's injury.

We also need a keeper if Philips is going out on loan.

So that's three players and keeping hold of Konsa. Will it happen?

And when Konsa is sold on the last day of the window, we'll need 4.

Expect something like, "We were hopeful of adding to the squad, but unfortunately we weren't successful in completing those deals in time."

You know how it goes.

I only really care about a striker, a winger would be an added bonus.

We don't need a CB unless Konsa goes, possibly not even then as would still have 4. I doubt Phillips would go unless we sign a keeper, so that's fine.

I actually think we will get a striker, and then KR will talk about nearly managing to get a winger in to cover what he has said previously.
  • I'm not saying Konsa is staying but I fail to see why if he is going that it will go down to the last day of the transfer window. Prem clubs don't need to act in that way especially when Konsa is effectively a punt for them at £3.5 million or so. I also fail to see why getting him out before anyone else comes in ought to be an issue. I doubt he's on big wages and RD knows having Ezri is the same as money in the bank. It's just when you cash in on him.

I'm as critical as anyone of this regime but I genuinely think that the players we want might just not be for sale. If that is the case then a Prem loan makes some sense.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2017

I'm not saying Konsa is staying but I fail to see why if he is going that it will go down to the last day of the transfer window. Prem clubs don't need to act in that way especially when Konsa is effectively a punt for them at £3.5 million or so. I also fail to see why getting him out before anyone else comes in ought to be an issue. I doubt he's on big wages and RD knows having Ezri is the same as money in the bank. It's just when you cash in on him.

I'm as critical as anyone of this regime but I genuinely think that the players we want might just not be for sale. If that is the case then a Prem loan makes some sense.

Agree with everything here. Konsa wouldn't be going to a bigger club to start, or likely be anywhere near the first team, so why close that deal on or near deadline day? Never say never but would be a bit odd for me. Probably jinxed it now.

And agree about the strikers. Now, I think we should be critical of KR and the club for either not having the scouting network, or the faith in the scouting network, to look abroad. But I just don't see a player who is proven at this level and can play up front on his own being available. The fact that we're closely monitoring Bristol City's transfer activity despite them saying Taylor will not be leaving is telling.

Also, it should be noted that we're in a position where we're looking for one player of quality because we have had a very good summer. I think we have more strength in depth than people give us credit for sometimes, with obviously center forward being the excdption
    Should he chose KR could make 11 changes on Tuesday night (yes I know about the silly rules of being fined if you don't play six starters) and we'd still put out a decent team of:
    ....... Phillips
    Dijksteel.. Konsa... Sarr... JJ
    ......... Aribo.... Crofts
    RCC...... Reeves......... KAG
    ...............Novak

We still have Page to come back to provide an upgrade to the skipper at left back, plus Barnes on the bench who looked good in pre season, and Reeco and Lapslie on the bench, two players who look to have a bright future.
  • I'm not saying Konsa is staying but I fail to see why if he is going that it will go down to the last day of the transfer window. Prem clubs don't need to act in that way especially when Konsa is effectively a punt for them at £3.5 million or so. I also fail to see why getting him out before anyone else comes in ought to be an issue. I doubt he's on big wages and RD knows having Ezri is the same as money in the bank. It's just when you cash in on him.

If I were RD, I would cash in as soon as possible. Pearce and Bauer are forming a good partnership. Injury permitting, he might not even get much game time. Meaning any Prem club are unlikely to take a gamble on him if he can't force his way into a League 1 side. Not sure he will get too many caps for England youth either.

Obviously want him to stay as he's an exciting prospect and a great 3rd choice CB. We all know RD's business plan, and we all know he will be looking to get a good fee and let him go. I just think that's not likely to happen to rise as the season goes on.
  • SDAddick said:

Valley11 said:

Seems to make sense for City to let Taylor out on loan to regain fitness at a level he was prolific at.
    Maybe a loan to January?
    That would be a bit rubbish for us though.

I think a loan until January is about as good as can be expected.

Just going through their team, Bristol City have five center forwards not including Leko, who really isn't one. They like to play a 4-2-3-1 from what I can tell, so numerically it is possible that they'd let one go out on loan.
    Taylor
    Djuric
    Garita
    Woodrow
    Diedhiou

But just doing a little reading, it seems Garita, Djuric, and Taylor are all working their way back from injuries.

I really struggle to see Taylor coming to us.
    done some reading myself the other day and saw Johnson was saying how he had faith in Taylor for the season coming and how he was looking forward to him recovering from injury. I don't know if he changes his words as much as KR but sounded like it was a definite no go. I still reckon he might come but not necessarily expecting it.
  • Alan Nixon (Sun journalist) says we're still sniffing around Akinde ('money talks') and he 'thinks you'll get one. Him or Godden faves'.
  • Alan Nixon (Sun journalist) says we're still sniffing around Akinde ('money talks') and he 'thinks you'll get one. Him or Godden faves'.

• edited August 2017
    Scoham said:

Alan Nixon (Sun journalist) says we're still sniffing around Akinde ('money talks') and he 'thinks you'll get one. Him or Godden faves'.

Kind of meh on both. For maybe 200k for a third choice might be worth a punt, especially Godden. But I don't think either are going to massively improve the quality of the squad. Depth, yes, and we will need more depth up front.

Look, if we can get one in, get promoted this year with their help having a couple key cameo appearances, then move them on next summer for roughly the same amount because they're not good enough for the step up then it will probably be worth the wages. I just don't have a lot of faith in our ability to do that, bring in a player one summer as a short term jigsaw piece then move them on.
  • Be honest I'd rather sign a back up wingback than Akinde
  • Laddick01 said:

Be honest I'd rather sign a back up wingback than Akinde

Good job your opinion doesn't matter then...
  • I don't think Akinde would even be an upgrade on Novak. Would rather see Hanlan or Umerah given a go instead.

I question why Akinde at the age of 28 who's played lower league football his whole career would now suddenly be worth a punt? I guess the same could have been said about signing Ricky Holmes last summer or other late bloomers like Ricky Lambert but they really are few and far between. I'd far rather we went all out for Grigg or Taylor in the same vein where we signed Pearce, Marshall, Reeves etc.
  • I don't think Akinde would even be an upgrade on Novak. Would rather see Hanlan or Umerah given a go instead.

I question why Akinde at the age of 28 who's played lower league football his whole career would now suddenly be worth a punt? I guess the same could have been said about signing Ricky Holmes last summer or other late bloomers like Ricky Lambert but they really are few and far between. I'd far rather we went all out for Grigg or Taylor in the same vein where we signed Pearce, Marshall, Reeves etc.

I don't think Akinde or Godden would be an upgrade on Novak, let alone Magennis. I think both would be third choice behind those two.

I really can't see Grigg or Taylor being options.
  • Sponsored links:

• Laddick01 said:

If you can justify how a man who has hopped between non league and league 2 his whole career , with not a very prolific record, is a good buy on our seemingly tight budget then I'll happily admit my opinion is a wrong one. Until then I'm entitled to it :smile:
  • Novak is not bad as cover in my view . Can we do better ? I agree that Akinde or Godden might not be upgrades .

I wonder if Novak in part exchange might appeal to Wigan for Grigg or maybe to Fleetwood for Devante Cole ?

Novak's record in L1 was quite good before signing for us .

• Laddick01 said:

Laddick01 said:

If you can justify how a man who has hopped between non league and league 2 his whole career , with not a very prolific record, is a good buy on our seemingly tight budget then I'll happily admit my opinion is a wrong one. Until then I'm entitled to it :smile:
    I think he needs a chance, as did Holmes.
  • The advantage of getting somebody from the league below is they're likely to be a) much more hardworking than a loan from the Prem/Champ and b) willing to be a third striker and accept that they'll have to force their way into the side. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if this is KR trying to force the hand of Bristol City/Wigan over Grigg/Taylor (if those are in fact the two we've gone for).
  • The advantage of getting somebody from the league below is they're likely to be a) much more hardworking than a loan from the Prem/Champ and b) willing to be a third striker and accept that they'll have to force their way into the side. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if this is KR trying to force the hand of Bristol City/Wigan over Grigg/Taylor (if those are in fact the two we've gone for).

Don't think that would be the case with Taylor. I can't imagine bristol city struggling to find a club to take Taylor on loan, could be true of a buyer for Grigg though

• Laddick01 said:

and neither does yours

• Like the rest of you I'm desperate for the club show some actual ambition and give promotion back to the Championship a real go so if it's not a player of Griggs calibre I'd rather we didn't bother (meaning I'd rather we waited until Jan to get the right player in).

In my eyes it's simple. We are one proven goal scorer away from a genuine shot at automatic promotion this season. Failure to do so doesn't bare thinking about.

To me that starting 11 (plus Reeves and Marshall) is good enough for a proper shot at automatic. It's not as if we've had problems scoring so far this season, other than Plymouth

I'm more worried about cover for Josh, than a replacement for Josh
    Not convinced Josh is a good enough goalscorer but I agree in principle. Still means if Josh isn't getting enough goals we have another options. If he is, then great. He is a very good player and might just have the season of his career with the creativity in this side.