Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Taylor failed a fitness test on groin strain.
  • edited August 2017

Taylor failed a fitness test on groin strain.

He's had injections in recent weeks to get him by. Read he injured it in the summer doing strengthening exercises. Groin injuries tend to stick around and the best way to heal them is rest. He doesn't seem to be given that option at the moment, or doesn't want to rest it.

Think he'd be worth a punt on loan, but given he's hurt we can't bring him in just to let Novak go. For all of his faults Novak hasn't been battling a groin strain for a month.
  • Valley11 said:

Personally I think he's too short to play in our system. Feels like another Ajose.

Deon Burton wasn't the tallest but had a good touch, could hold up the ball well and pick a pass.

Is Taylor purely a poacher or does he have more to his game?
  • cabbles said:

Matty Taylor not in Bristol City squad tonight and evidently had a fallout with manager Lee Johnson over not playing as a main striker would hopefully be allowed out on loan scores with both feet and head
    https://youtu.be/X7NBezy4e-k

At the moment I'm currently LISTENING to this on talkSPORT

It's the Friday night of a bank holiday. I've got no life whatsoever
    Yes a different type of player to Magennis but better ! Soz Josh
  • Valley11 said:

Personally I think he's too short to play in our system. Feels like another Ajose.

He looks a million times better an Ajose! He looks brilliant in the air too!
  • SDAddick said:

He's had injections in recent weeks to get him by. Read he injured it in the summer doing strengthening exercises. Groin injuries tend to stick around and the best way to heal them is rest. He doesn't seem to be given that option at the moment, or doesn't want to rest it.

Think he'd be worth a punt on loan, but given he's hurt we can't bring him in just to let Novak go. For all of his faults Novak hasn't been battling a groin strain for a month.
    An injured player is exactly who we don't need, we don't have the depth up front to allow him to rest for a month
  • SDAddick said:

An injured player is exactly who we don't need, we don't have the depth up front to allow him to rest for a month
    In an ideal world I agree. But look, we're shopping in England and only in England it seems. There are, what four or five candidates. It's either a chance with an injured Taylor or hoping Wigan accept a bid for Grigg which frankly I can't see them doing.

Look at the approach they're taking with Reeves, which I think is the smart one. Yes he might be able to play 15 minutes tomorrow (today), but the season is a marathon not a sprint. Could be the same with Taylor. Yes you could try rushing him back for Oldham, or you could take a chance with Novak up front and Reeco on the bench with the hope that it pays off with a fit Taylor the rest of the season.

Again, all hypothetical.

We have had a very good summer. Clarke looks a real good signing. Fosu, at 22, looks not just a great find for this year, but potentially for years to come. DaSilva is exactly the left back we need in our formation. If we can get him fit and keep him fit, and that's not guaranteed, Reeves should be very good in this league. Plus, we've got JFC, Kashi, and Bauer all with proper pre-seasons behind them.

That said, this is the problem with only buying British. There is limited supply and high demand, and thus the selling club, if they're willing to let go of a player at all, sets the terms entirely.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

In an ideal world I agree. But look, we're shopping in England and only in England it seems. There are, what four or five candidates. It's either a chance with an injured Taylor or hoping Wigan accept a bid for Grigg which frankly I can't see them doing.

Look at the approach they're taking with Reeves, which I think is the smart one. Yes he might be able to play 15 minutes tomorrow (today), but the season is a marathon not a sprint. Could be the same with Taylor. Yes you could try rushing him back for Oldham, or you could take a chance with Novak up front and Reeco on the bench with the hope that it pays off with a fit Taylor the rest of the season.

Again, all hypothetical.

We have had a very good summer. Clarke looks a real good signing. Fosu, at 22, looks not just a great find for this year, but potentially for years to come. DaSilva is exactly the left back we need in our formation. If we can get him fit and keep him fit, and that's not guaranteed, Reeves should be very good in this league. Plus, we've got JFC, Kashi, and Bauer all with proper pre-seasons behind them.

That said, this is the problem with only buying British. There is limited supply and high demand, and thus the selling club, if they're willing to let go of a player at all, sets the terms entirely.
    It does seem that they have gone from one extreme to another.

Where's Thomas Driessen when you want him? There must be a top striker in the Luxembourg second division that has slipped our radar.
    ...probably uses Melexis electrical parts.
  • edited August 2017
    SDAddick said:

It's an interesting point you touch on there, SD.

Do we sign an injured player before the window closes, trusting that we've got the player we want to augment the squad (even though he's unfit to play for a period) as we can't now cover any injuries by bringing in an 'emergency' loan.

Now clubs have to think ahead and plan to cover any player contingencies before the transfer window closes.
    The only other option is to bring in free agents - who anyway generally need a period to catch up with fitness levels or play the untried kids.

• It's a long season and I would rather have someone like Taylor for 35 games than a youngster from a prem club for 40 games.

Taylor played midweek so he can't be far off fitness

Agreed.

But I'm still not convinced Bristol City will let him go. But we can only hope.
  • SDAddick said:

It's a long season and I would rather have someone like Taylor for 35 games than a youngster from a prem club for 40 games.

Agreed.

Id be very surprised if a club let one of their main four (yes even if fourth choice) Strikers leave at this stage of the season without having a backup in place as that in turn will leave that said club desperately trying to find someone themselves.

Because of that I can see us being forced to sign a Premier League youngster if anyone now as it'll be a case of the said club wanting to send their kids out to gain experience in the lower leagues
  • SDAddick said:

It's a long season and I would rather have someone like Taylor for 35 games than a youngster from a prem club for 40 games.

Agreed.

Id be very surprised if a club let one of their main four (yes even if fourth choice) Strikers leave at this stage of the season without having a backup in place as that in turn will leave that said club desperately trying to find someone themselves.

Because of that I can see us being forced to sign a Premier League youngster if anyone now as it'll be a case of the said club wanting to send their kids out to gain experience in the lower leagues
    I agree I think this is the far more likely outcome. It may not be the worst, look at Mavididi and DaSilva last year. Both were raw but both brought qualities you wouldn't get in any old lower league player. I'd rather have Taylor or Grigg, but I'd be open minded to taking a chance on a youngster over paying 1m for someone like Akinde or Godden.

The good news is this will be a striker who will come in as third choice, meaning we don't need to rely solely on them.

Yes it'd be great if we got an experienced center forward who has scored goals at this level, but again can't see it happening.
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Agreed.

I agree I think this is the far more likely outcome. It may not be the worst, look at Mavididi and DaSilva last year. Both were raw but both brought qualities you wouldn't get in any old lower league player. I'd rather have Taylor or Grigg, but I'd be open minded to taking a chance on a youngster over paying 1m for someone like Akinde or Godden.

The good news is this will be a striker who will come in as third choice, meaning we don't need to rely solely on them.

Yes it'd be great if we got an experienced center forward who has scored goals at this level, but again can't see it happening.
    If Novak leaves, he'd be second choice...
  • I don't think we will get Grigg or Taylor. More likely a loan deal from a Premiership or Championship Club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Agreed.

If Novak leaves, he'd be second choice...
    If Novak stays he'd be second choice
    Novak can play the lone striker role, wins lots of headers and is experienced at this level. I would prefer he stays as cover for Mag and any youngster just makes sub appearances.
    Agreed and it's too late to get in two new forwards. If he wants to leave so badly he can play well until January then get a move when we'll have a month to replace him.
  • If we got a loan striker I assume he would not initially be 1st choice. That being so why would a club lend a player to sit on the bench.
  • If we got a loan striker I assume he would not initially be 1st choice. That being so why would a club lend a player to sit on the bench.

As was the case with Madvididi and DaSilva last year it could be to get a player their first senior football experience. Also, depending on the player and where they are in their development, it could be more beneficial to have them in the 18 for a League One team than playing in the U23 league.
  • Not a rumour at all, and I don't know if he is injured, but Josh Wright isn't in the squad at Gillingham. Still think he would be a good signing for us but not a priority.

Will Grigg still on the bench for Wigan.
  • i live in Bristol and have seen Taylor play quite a few times over the last few years and I have no idea what the excitement is about. Ajose is absolutely the perfect comparison, I do not think he's a very good player really can benefit by adding goals in the right system I think he'd be poor in Robinsons system
  • I just read Sheffield United might land striker Jerome Sinclair from Liverpool. Age 20. Apparently he can't get in the starting lineup there. Not sure if loan or permanent purchase.
  • I just read Sheffield United might land striker Jerome Sinclair from Liverpool. Age 20. Apparently he can't get in the starting lineup there. Not sure if loan or permanent purchase.

That would be from Watford as he's there now

That would be from Watford as he's there now
    Thanks. I sometimes confuse the two because they have such similar defensive prowess.

• Now is the time to strike in the transfer market. If we can get another striker in then there is no doubt in my mind Robbo can take us up. With Marshall back in a month and Reeves on Tuesday I really think we are only a player or two away.

Not a lone striker. Was highly rated when he was younger but hasn't built on it. Loan could do him good.