Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• cabbles said:

So you're moaning about people using the 'data' as a reason for signing him yet you're completely wrong about it. More so than that every single player you've named for us to sign has been nothing more than a Google search of top scorers.

Mmmmm, not really. The one's I have recommended signing this window are the following....

Ollie Watkins, age 21, POY, forward, because he was apparently the best player in all of L2. Obviously he would be hard to get, as he wanted the Championship. But he sold for £1.8M, only. Buying him at that price is far better than Grigg at a mil, imho.

David Ball, striker, because he has been constantly averaging about 10-13 since 2011 and he was free (plus 1.85m tall its nice to have height.) Free. Repeat. Free. I'll take Ball on a free over Grigg for a mil anyday.

James Justin, age 20, defender, because he was not very expensive (under $1m), apparently has a great attitude, has the size and speed and was one of the best defenders in L2 and could help us for a decade.

Liam Lindsay, age 23, defender, because he is big, has a great attitude, and was one of the best players in Scotland, and is young with good upside, and could have been bought for £350k, possibly.

Aaron Pierre, age 24, defender, who is considered one of the best defenders in L2, costs £300k or so.

Nathan Thomas, POY, striker, who was a "close to" free and has some amazing highlights, age 20, with upside.

Nathan Smith, defender, age 23, POY for Port Vale and according to their own fans a really good defender

Lawrence Vigouroux, keeper, multiple POY, has the size, attitude, age 24

Billy Waters, striker, a bit small but ferocious apparently and great attitude and just 23.

So of the 9 people I hoped we would make a run at, only 4 were scorers and none were league leaders in scoring. I wanted them because they were either free, with a solid history of scoring. Or were very young and considered extremely good with huge upside by their own fan base and those watching. I wanted Ball because I felt he was as good as any striker we had and was free. Key word. Free.

Now we are behind the 8-ball, the season is underway, and we are gonna spend 1 million on someone at the last minute. Desperation rarely works out.

Yes, I am data driven, but not the kind of data of... who scored, alone. I am a fan of meta-data, all of which indicates spending money on transfers of players in their prime (or past, like Marshall) leads to poor long-term relative results compared to buying younger players with upside. We are not ManU or PSG. We are a club in the middle of League One, trying to get out. I believe we should be stockpiling the best young players from the league below us and improving them, not spending millions on those in their prime (or past) with a history of injuries like Grigg or Marshall. I like gathering POY from clubs. When the entire team or fan base votes someone POY, that gets my attention, especially is they are young and getting better.

Plus, you are forgetting another possibility... what if we get Grigg for a mil and then RD decides to recoup that by selling Konsa for £3 mil. How would that tickle your fancy?

I still can't get over how someone living in California can have such an in depth knowledge/interest of league one football. I live in south east London, have done all my life and I don't know half the players you talk of
    He's really Michael Driesen.
    Oh christ Thomas doesnt have his Brother working with him now does he? - Least it'll mean we have two scouts instead of one now

• So you're moaning about people using the 'data' as a reason for signing him yet you're completely wrong about it. More so than that every single player you've named for us to sign has been nothing more than a Google search of top scorers.

Mmmmm, not really. The one's I have recommended signing this window are the following....

Ollie Watkins, age 21, POY, forward, because he was apparently the best player in all of L2. Obviously he would be hard to get, as he wanted the Championship. But he sold for £1.8M, only. Buying him at that price is far better than Grigg at a mil, imho.

David Ball, striker, because he has been constantly averaging about 10-13 since 2011 and he was free (plus 1.85m tall its nice to have height.) Free. Repeat. Free. I'll take Ball on a free over Grigg for a mil anyday.

James Justin, age 20, defender, because he was not very expensive (under $1m), apparently has a great attitude, has the size and speed and was one of the best defenders in L2 and could help us for a decade.

Liam Lindsay, age 23, defender, because he is big, has a great attitude, and was one of the best players in Scotland, and is young with good upside, and could have been bought for £350k, possibly.

Aaron Pierre, age 24, defender, who is considered one of the best defenders in L2, costs £300k or so.

Nathan Thomas, POY, striker, who was a "close to" free and has some amazing highlights, age 20, with upside.

Nathan Smith, defender, age 23, POY for Port Vale and according to their own fans a really good defender

Billy Waters, striker, a bit small but ferocious apparently and great attitude and just 23.

So of the 9 people I hoped we would make a run at, only 4 were scorers and none were league leaders in scoring. I wanted them because they were either free, with a solid history of scoring. Or were very young and considered extremely good with huge upside by their own fan base and those watching. I wanted Ball because I felt he was as good as any striker we had and was free. Key word. Free.

Now we are behind the 8-ball, the season is underway, and we are gonna spend 1 million on someone at the last minute. Desperation rarely works out.

Yes, I am data driven, but not the kind of data of... who scored, alone. I am a fan of meta-data, all of which indicates spending money on transfers of players in their prime (or past, like Marshall) leads to poor long-term relative results compared to buying younger players with upside. We are not ManU or PSG. We are a club in the middle of League One, trying to get out. I believe we should be stockpiling the best young players from the league below us and improving them, not spending millions on those in their prime (or past) with a history of injuries like Grigg or Marshall. I like gathering POY from clubs. When the entire team or fan base votes someone POY, that gets my attention, especially is they are young and getting better.

Plus, you are forgetting another possibility... what if we get Grigg for a mil and then RD decides to recoup that by selling Konsa for £3 mil. How would that tickle your fancy?

Can't understand why you missed the yound striker from Walsall I have been banging on about. Whoops, I said I would never mention him again on this thread. Oh well.

I think the problem with the young players is that Robbo has said he wants better than we have, and that means to me, proven at this level. Taken at face value a striker will need to be as good as, or better, than Mag.

We don't need any young defenders or goalkeeper as we have plenty coming through at just the right age. We do need an experienced number 2 goalkeeper.
  • That interview is so clearly about Will Grigg... Wigan would be silly to sell him to us,I really think we are a 20 goal a season striker away from a very good season
  • CAFCsayer said:

That interview is so clearly about Will Grigg... Wigan would be silly to sell him to us,I really think we are a 20 goal a season striker away from a very good season

One interesting aspect is if you look at the Wigan Squad...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigan_Athletic_F.C.#Players

They themselves only have four Strikers at the moment (Grigg | Toney | Massey | Hunt) so if they let Grigg join us then they themselves drop to having just three Strikers (seems the norm for clubs to have at least four)

Only way we'll get Will Grigg is if they manage to find a replacement first... thats if they want to find a replacement.

Also if Paul Warne (Rotherham) is being serious when he sees Charlton as title contenders and a benchmark then nearly every other Manager in this League will have the same opinion which for me means we have to sign a Striker who isnt already in this Division!!
  • Think we need a RB as well as another Striker. We do need a back up GK to enable Phillips to get one full season before coming back to compete for the No.1 spot.

Dijksteel is a good player but he isn't a RB and to be honest, he could do with a loan somewhere for at least 6 months.

Solly has looked off the pace after reports and seeing him myself at Plymouth, he needs capable cover. Striker and a Keeper are obvious I would say.
  • cabbles said:

So you're moaning about people using the 'data' as a reason for signing him yet you're completely wrong about it. More so than that every single player you've named for us to sign has been nothing more than a Google search of top scorers.

I still can't get over how someone living in California can have such an in depth knowledge/interest of league one football. I live in south east London, have done all my life and I don't know half the players you talk of
    He's really Michael Driesen.
    Oh christ Thomas doesnt have his Brother working with him now does he? - Least it'll mean we have two scouts instead of one now
    I'm not sure where I got Michael from!
  • California? I thought he was in Cyprus.
  • Sponsored links:

• So you're moaning about people using the 'data' as a reason for signing him yet you're completely wrong about it. More so than that every single player you've named for us to sign has been nothing more than a Google search of top scorers.

The problems with this is approach are that:

1) As we have seen with some of our recent signings, if the players don't develop as hoped the they are stuck in the wage bill and we can't even give them away

2) All clubs are trying to sign these kind of players so their prices are often driven up and do not offer much better value than established players and may not still be here when they can do the job an older player can do from day one.

3) A few players like this in the squad can be managed, too many and the results suffer. I would maintain that we have enough of those slots filled with our own youth players and That may we'll be the case for a while.

It's true that we are not Man Utd but we're not shopping in the same pool as them and I would also suggest that compared to League One we are close to being a relative Man Utd.

I'm sure that you are very fastidious in your research but I suspect that the same can be said of hose that chose Polish Pete, Nego, Tudadean etc. There is a relationship between the obvious accuracy of a player's development (and therefore his price and, by definition, how much money we can make on him) and the price of signing him. It's similar to the buying of shares or other investments.

It's all well and good buying players that might be world class but might also have to be paid off if they fail to deliver but it's high risk and I would argue that a club needs to be very wealthy in order to take on the potential burden if more than one or two players are speculated on in this fashion.
  • Scoham said:

I remember everyone dismissed me when I said we made a mistake not going after David Ball, who was a free.

But we did go after him...
    and lost out to the mighty Rotherham with their massive crowds, enormous stadium and mega, mega rich owner.
    not every player wants to move to London and uproot family etc
    A big reason that Josh Magennis extended his contract. Didn't wanna have to move his family
  • edited August 2017

Scoham said:

I remember everyone dismissed me when I said we made a mistake not going after David Ball, who was a free.

and lost out to the mighty Rotherham with their massive crowds, enormous stadium and mega, mega rich owner.
    Rossman92 said:

Scoham said:

A big reason that Josh Magennis extended his contract. Didn't wanna have to move his family
    Didnt someone say thats why we were so successful that year we got promoted with Chris Powell

i.e. Didnt Powell and Varney specifically target players based on their marital status for the uprooting reason?
  • Scoham said:

Rossman92 said:

Scoham said:

Didnt someone say thats why we were so successful that year we got promoted with Chris Powell

i.e. Didnt Powell and Varney specifically target players based on their marital status for the uprooting reason?
    Indeed. The reason Johnnie Jackson originally joined us was that his wife and young child didn't settle in Nottingham.
  • Richard J said:

Scoham said:

Rossman92 said:

Scoham said:

Indeed. The reason Johnnie Jackson originally joined us was that his wife and young child didn't settle in Nottingham.
    Same with Danny Hollands wasnt it... Didnt he want to come back this way because the triplets were due?
  • Alan Nixon‏ @reluctantnicko 2h2 hours ago
    More
    West Brom. Top young striker Ty Roberts. Set for a loan. Walsall heading the queue.

No link to us but someone who played in league 1 last season and is available on loan.

5'9" and can play wide and upfront.

1) As we have seen with some of our recent signings, if the players don't develop as hoped the they are stuck in the wage bill and we can't even give them away

2) All clubs are trying to sign these kind of players so their prices are often driven up and do not offer much better value than established players and may not still be here when they can do the job an older player can do from day one.

3) A few players like this in the squad can be managed, too many and the results suffer. I would maintain that we have enough of those slots filled with our own youth players and That may we'll be the case for a while.

It's true that we are not Man Utd but we're not shopping in the same pool as them and I would also suggest that compared to League One we are close to being a relative Man Utd.

I'm sure that you are very fastidious in your research but I suspect that the same can be said of hose that chose Polish Pete, Nego, Tudadean etc. There is a relationship between the obvious accuracy of a player's development (and therefore his price and, by definition, how much money we can make on him) and the price of signing him. It's similar to the buying of shares or other investments.

It's all well and good buying players that might be world class but might also have to be paid off if they fail to deliver but it's high risk and I would argue that a club needs to be very wealthy in order to take on the potential burden if more than one or two players are speculated on in this fashion.
    Definitely not. In the one u21 game I saw Polish Pete it was obvious he wasn't good enough for our first team. Didn't have the touch and strength to replace Yann while he didn't have enough pace to offer that type of threat.

They completely underestimated the league and the players we already had. There was no understanding or attention to detail.

What there needs to be is a balance. In 2011 we signed younger but proven players that were on the up such as Stephens and Wiggins. They didn't all work out, Green being an example of that.

I doubt a whole team of players like that would worked out, that's where signing reliable and experienced players like Cort, Hughes etc was also important.

• LR is Leam Richardson, Wigan Asst Manager, speaking at their press conference speaking to local radio journalist.

• Yeah, pretty much. haha.

You still ignored the fact that despite your analysis, you completely missed the point that Grigg is a proven League 1 goalscorer. That is the type of signing that will get us promoted this season, not a promising League 2 youngster.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Napa is one of my favourite posters on here. So much passion for something so far away from where you live. Great to see.

You can say that again
  • I think Napa is one of my favourite posters on here. So much passion for something so far away from where you live. Great to see.

You can say that again
    Beaten by Ricky_Otto @ 8:50am ;)
    More
    West Brom. Top young striker Ty Roberts. Set for a loan. Walsall heading the queue.

No link to us but someone who played in league 1 last season and is available on loan.

Unless he wants to "get away from home" Walsall is so much more convenient for the player, and indeed his parent club!
    More

Unless he wants to "get away from home" Walsall is so much more convenient for the player, and indeed his parent club!
    Indeed and would be a big factor for him.

On other hand some clubs like players to move away from home as part of the "growing up" experience.

You can say that again
    Beaten by Ricky_Otto @ 8:50am ;)
    And he's only quoted once :wink:
  • cabbles said:

::Clears throat::

Saw David Ball play at 19 for Swindon
  • edited August 2017

CAFCsayer said:

That interview is so clearly about Will Grigg... Wigan would be silly to sell him to us,I really think we are a 20 goal a season striker away from a very good season

They themselves only have four Strikers at the moment (Grigg | Toney | Massey | Hunt) so if they let Grigg join us then they themselves drop to having just three Strikers (seems the norm for clubs to have at least four)

Only way we'll get Will Grigg is if they manage to find a replacement first... thats if they want to find a replacement.

Also if Paul Warne (Rotherham) is being serious when he sees Charlton as title contenders and a benchmark then nearly every other Manager in this League will have the same opinion which for me means we have to sign a Striker who isnt already in this Division!!
    I'll just point out that Robinson was bigging up Northampton as the strongest team we had faced so far before last weekend's game. Not sure I'd take too much notice of what managers say about the opposition pre-game.
  • Scoham said:

CAFCsayer said:

I'll just point out that Robinson was bigging up Northampton as the strongest team we had faced so far before last weekend's game. Not sure I'd take too much notice of what managers say about the opposition pre-game.
    Robinson's also just said similar about Rotherham.
    Think it's true of Rotherham though.
  • Scoham said:

Definitely not. In the one u21 game I saw Polish Pete it was obvious he wasn't good enough for our first team. Didn't have the touch and strength to replace Yann while he didn't have enough pace to offer that type of threat.

They completely underestimated the league and the players we already had. There was no understanding or attention to detail.

What there needs to be is a balance. In 2011 we signed younger but proven players that were on the up such as Stephens and Wiggins. They didn't all work out, Green being an example of that.

I doubt a whole team of players like that would worked out, that's where signing reliable and experienced players like Cort, Hughes etc was also important.
    I'm not sure that you are disagreeing with me. My point was that without actually watching a player play it is very difficult to assess a his suitability or potential from stats on a sheet of paper. My point was that one can't sign players simply from numbers and when Charlton did it led to mistakes.

I was also advocating established players like Cort and Hughes.

Were you suggesting something different?