Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• cafc4life said:

Church would do a job for us in League 1

Shocking footballer.
  • Grigg not selected for NI squad
  • ross1 said:

Grigg not selected for NI squad

A shame for him but could be good news for us if it's true we are in for him. He might need to put in a transfer request to force the issue.
  • edited August 2017

Guy who posted the tweet is a friend of my daughter and was sitting next to her last night. She's convinced the conversation happened and he is reporting it accurately.

All I would say is that Robinson is the least discreet Charlton manager I can remember. Not that I'm complaining...

Yes, agree.

He was talking to someone at u21 game last season and having a joke around about someone getting a 4 year contract and how he'd have never have offered that player a deal..
  • A Championship club probably offered 1.2 million for Grigg...so KR could report on that...a bit of illusion that it was from Charlton. If/when we sell Konsa then our Belgium maestro would have a bit of money to burn, in theory at any rate.
  • ross1 said:

Grigg not selected for NI squad

He's just working his way back to fitness, don't think he's played a full 90 min yet (correct me if I'm wrong) so I don't think it's hugely shocking.
  • Guy who posted the tweet is a friend of my daughter and was sitting next to her last night. She's convinced the conversation happened and he is reporting it accurately.

All I would say is that Robinson is the least discreet Charlton manager I can remember. Not that I'm complaining...

• Sponsored links:

• edited August 2017
    Glad to see this stickied again. Back to where it belongs. #transferrumoursmatter
  • iamdan said:

Simon Church seen walking down Sparrows.
    Not sure what that could mean.

Yes......but in which direction?
  • “I’m having my most unique transfer window ever – I’ve got told there is money to do something but the players who we want to make us better are at clubs who don’t want to make them available. club wont take it seriously and refuse to try and sign someone!!
  • Can't wait for the faux anger on deadline day again.

On a serious note... this line he actually gives does sound like he's warming up for that frustrated interview at the end of the window.

“I’m having my most unique transfer window ever – I’ve got told there is money to do something but the players who we want to make us better are at clubs who don’t want to make them available.
  • "Maybe the team might say ‘are we going to get a better bid for him?’ If we went to £1.5million or £2m we’d probably get the deal done. But who in League One goes to that level? That is just astronomical and stupid money. We’ve offered a substantial amount.”"

Trying to put him and the club in a win win situation - if the deal doesn't happen , then they wheel out the old excuse that they refuse to put financial stability of charlton over a player and were put off by the price ...
    If the deal goes trough , they can say that their investing big money in the squad and a player
  • Sponsored links:

• What I want to know is why are we putting all our eggs into this one basket now?

Will Grigg | David Tarpey | Matt Godden have all been linked yet it seems as though we're going for Grigg because he's the easy option as he's worked with Karl Robinson before now yet our best player this season is a 31-year old from Bradford?

Its also stupid to have admitted this £1.5m fee as if we do decide to target someone else, that figure is out there now and apart from Maidenhead (and Tarpey), the new club are going to be aware of that sum and will want as much of it themselves
  • A little over 7 days left of the window and nothing looks close. Is KR only talking about strikers too, are we now sticking with Philips. 3-4 new players now 0-1?

Come on, let's get a goalscorer over the line and get out of this league!
  • edited August 2017
    I understand KR's frustration & agree that we don't want to pay over the odds. A week to go of the transfer window & clubs are playing cat & mouse. A case of who blinks first. If we don't snap their hands off now we may (or may not) be in a better bargaining position at 11pm next Thursday.

Also remember that some clubs don't need to sell & have a better bargaining position - whereas we have been shipping players out FOR FREE all summer , mainly because they were on big wages. I doubt very much if any League One clubs will sell us a player on the cheap - will probably have to pick up a freebie / loan from a Championship club.

Reason why I kept bleating on in June that we hadn't got the players in. Certain posters on here keep chirping... "window closes in 2 months - players haven't come back for pre-season yet" but that's why its always good to get your business done early. rarely pays to buy on deadline day - just ask 'arry.
  • play it again sam ----or whom ever is the manager under RD and the poodles
  • Davo55 said:

Swisdom said:

Or maybe the players he wants are being overpriced because people know we actually do have a bit of money.

Who knows - and I know this is radical, but maybe he's telling the truth.

Sorry if it doesn't fit the narrative but that's life sometimes.

Maybe he is. But is that good enough?

Footballs is a results business, off the pitch as well as on it. Would Robinson accept his players saying "well I tried to score but the other team had good defenders and a keeper in form"? No, of course not. Obstacles are expected and it is his and Meire's job to overcome them. To find a way.

Be that persuading Duchatelet to provide a bit more money, being better at negotiating, whatever. It's their job to make Charlton successful, not tell the fans why they couldn't do that.

And £1.5m to £2m for a striker who will make a big difference, that can do for us what Billy Sharp did for Sheffield United, is not (or should not be) out of the question. Are we in this league to win it, or not? If yes, let Duchatelet and Meire put their money where their mouth is. If not, then cut the excuses.
    I guess this depends on who is paying the £1.5 to £2m. Are you offering to pay it?