Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Even in January KR said we needed a "support mechanism" for Josh Magennis. On the face of it it seems silly to leave it untill the end of August, although I appreciate there will be lots going on behind the scenes and it's never straight forward.

Just had a look at the stats for Novak and Magennis. LN is 2 years older, but has 100 career goals and has scored 10 or more in 4 different seasons (not counting the conference) and one of those was in the Championship. Compared to JM 43 career goals and 10 or more in only 2 seasons. Feel like we definitely haven't seen the best of Novak.

I hope so - as I dread to think what the worst of him was like.
  • Scoham said:

It is always the same - what I find fascinating is why the bother actually bringing in some decent players, but never finishing the job and the squad is always missing somewhere which always gets exposed. Answers on a post card please!

Roland's preference for a small squad to force academy players to get a chance, whether they're ready/good enough or not.
    Bingo.
  • Scoham said:

It is always the same - what I find fascinating is why the bother actually bringing in some decent players, but never finishing the job and the squad is always missing somewhere which always gets exposed. Answers on a post card please!

Roland's preference for a small squad to force academy players to get a chance, whether they're ready/good enough or not.
    I agree but it just adds to the mystery. Why allow KR the chance to get Reeves and Clarke. Just tell him to use Aribo
  • Why do I see two similar things so differently?
    I saw Parker and Konchesky two name but two, as blooding youngsters who were worthy of a first team opportunity and eventually moved on to other clubs.
    To these days.
    We get them out of the youngsters and put them in the shop window where hopefully someone will pay the equivalent of a years running costs as a transfer fee.
    All sad and I've become very cynical. :(
  • T.C.E said:

Why do I see two similar things so differently?
    I saw Parker and Konchesky two name but two, as blooding youngsters who were worthy of a first team opportunity and eventually moved on to other clubs.
    To these days.
    We get them out of the youngsters and put them in the shop window where hopefully someone will pay the equivalent of a years running costs as a transfer fee.
    All sad and I've become very cynical. :(

BECAUSE We used to fight to hold onto them? ROLAND
  • edited August 2017
    ross1 said:

Cauley Woodrow: Bristol City sign Fulham striker on loan, so could KR go back for Taylor

Interesting I was just wondering what Cauley Woodrow was up to. I've seen him play a lot for England at youth levels but never really understood what he did. Was wondering if he'd reached the point in his career of needing to drop down to League One.
  • Richie Towell?

Brighton?
  • Scoham said:

I agree but it just adds to the mystery. Why allow KR the chance to get Reeves and Clarke. Just tell him to use Aribo
    We're always 1-3 players short. This year it's right back and up front where we're lacking cover. Last year Phillips, Konsa, Hanlan and eventually Aribo had to step up. Before that KAG and Kennedy were two thrown in too early.

No coincidence they're often strikers, who are the most expensive players to sign.
  • Sponsored links:

• I really, really am not surprised.

What so far has been a pretty decent recruitment this summer, it wouldn't be normal if they didn't leave us short somewhere and restrict us to playing unproven youngsters when we desperately need a proven player for this level to score goals.

I am really hoping we get someone in, Taylor really would've been ideal. I just don't see anything positive happening unfortunately.
  • We should put one or two young players in the first team while we are in div one or at least put them on the bench and blood them in slowly
  • Lookman playing for Everton tonight in Europe, does not look like he is going anywhere on loan
  • Scoham said:

Scoham said:

We're always 1-3 players short. This year it's right back and up front where we're lacking cover. Last year Phillips, Konsa, Hanlan and eventually Aribo had to step up. Before that KAG and Kennedy were two thrown in too early.

No coincidence they're often strikers, who are the most expensive players to sign.
    Agreed but your missing the point. Why bother making a squad at all only to leave us a few players short. Why not just not bother at all, ensure all the youngsters are being used
  • edited August 2017

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Agreed but your missing the point. Why bother making a squad at all only to leave us a few players short. Why not just not bother at all, ensure all the youngsters are being used
    Because that would be a really bad idea?
  • JamesSeed said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Because that would be a really bad ide?
    Nothing RD likes better than a really bad idea.
  • Scoham said:

Scoham said:

He probably knows that wouldn't work but thinks doing it this way will eventually?
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

Roland didn't release players.

Katrien wanted Watt out. "Why should we keep giving him chances when he hasn't showed up for two years - the problem is nobody wants to buy him"

Safe to say when we said "we had plenty of interest in him but the offer had to be right for us" it meant we wanted to sell him not loan him again.

Ajose is, was and will continue to be shit.
    Vetojele is currently and constantly is injured.

Yes we are light on strikers but we are no weaker than we've been for ages.

So who made the decisions to buy them in the first place?

They are and always will be shit.