Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• There's a rumour that RR doesn't like KM very much Mick!
  • Essex_Al said:

Essex_Al said:

Essex_Al said:

Swisdom said:

You say it's irrelevant who signed Ajose? Sorry you are wrong. A player was signed without consultation with a new head coach. 800k on a player who did not fit into both Slade's and Robinson systems and this is still having an impact on Robinson as he can't spend that money on getting the forward he wants. Whose fault? Meire is to blame as she is CEO who made the decision to buy him on the recommendation of Steve Head ( Where is he now....Oh yeah another Meire apppointment).

It's not irrelevant who signs players that is the point and why mistakes are made with so many players under this regime that is still impacting on the club 3 years on

Ajose was available at the time so they got him based upon stats presumably. Yes - risky. But we as fans were largely excited at the time

If we hadn't fans would criticise saying " another one we missed out on"

Steve Head had held many prestigious jobs so the club hired him (again fans were positive) and listened to him ( no point hiring him and ignoring him) - it didn't work out for either. It still impacts us. These things happen in football. The knock-on is we need at least one striker now.
    I expect there's a bit of mind games from KR and he has a little more to spend but clubs know we are desperate so are bumping up the prices. Again this would have been averted had we sorted our shit out earlier. As ever.

Who made the decision to hire Steve Head before getting a head coach then getting rid of him months later?

Ajose is also on big wages. Only one person to blame for that.
    You really are an angry birdie!

In every other club in the land, strikers will be on the most wages. When we signed him, Ajose had just had his best ever season and scored a hatful of goals. You can be sure he didn't come to us because we are the mighty Charlton, he came because we offered him more money than he was on at Swindon, that's all players are interested in these days.

Most fans were excited when we signed him thinking we had signed a striker to score plenty of goals for us, did anyone care how much we had to pay to get him, no of course not!

Still don't let that get in the way of you blaming the management will you.

Like I keep saying, Ajose was shite before Swindon and shite since, and now can't even get into Bury's team!
    Apologists out in force today. Is there any other League One club that would pay him over £5k a week? And if he was 'shite before Swindon' then you've got to question the extent of our scouting and salary offered haven't you?

Just because I question Katrien Meire rather than believe everything she says, doesn't make me an 'angry birdie'.
    Just as well there are a few 'apologists' to give a balanced view on here!

I'd be pretty certain that there are a number of clubs in this division paying over £5k for their strikers.

We took a chance with Ajose, hoping he would score goals for us, it has failed miserably, that's football I'm afraid! I certainly wasn't a fan that was overly excited by his signing, but plenty were!

You weren't questioning KM, you were blaming her!
    Yeah, you're right, I do blame her. She's the CEO. If we've got players who aren't good enough on long-term contracts and big money that the club admit aren't good enough and they now can't afford, who else would you blame?
    Had Ajose turned out to be the best thing since sliced bread and was scoring for fun, would you have turned around and said well done to KM for signing him, I doubt it!

We are all living in hope that we can at least sign another striker and keeper before the end of the window, but we have done some good business so far, Reeves, Marshall, Clark, Fosu, kept Holmes and Pearce with improved contracts. I'm sure KM has played her part in making this happen, but no one is going to congratulate her are they!

Last post RR because as quite rightly pointed out this is the rumours thread and I've got work to do.

Poor response though, just poor!
  • Whether Ajose is any good or bad a decision was made in the absence of any team manager to sign him.
    Doesn't that suggest to anybody how the football manager is regarded in the heirachy of the regime? Isn't the disposable nature of the viewpoint of the football manager a consistent feature of the regime?
    I watched Robinson's press conference yesterday and he was asked about transfers. I got the impression that Robinson is entering what I would call the Sladesque patience period. Around that time Slade was full of allusions to previous problems, but obliged to put a brave face on it, and obliged to run with the likes of Foley and Johnson. This seems to be very similar with the Robinson narrative right now.
    The hope is that Robinson has constructed a better squad and will marshall his resources better than Slade. Which brings us of course to results. Failure to beat Northampton tomorrow will open the chite sluice that little bit more.
    It is clear to all we need a goalkeeper (and to keep and utilise Phillips) and a striker, and have no more departures. This is not crying for the moon, but facing reality.
  • Essex_Al said:

Essex_Al said:

Essex_Al said:

Swisdom said:

You say it's irrelevant who signed Ajose? Sorry you are wrong. A player was signed without consultation with a new head coach. 800k on a player who did not fit into both Slade's and Robinson systems and this is still having an impact on Robinson as he can't spend that money on getting the forward he wants. Whose fault? Meire is to blame as she is CEO who made the decision to buy him on the recommendation of Steve Head ( Where is he now....Oh yeah another Meire apppointment).

It's not irrelevant who signs players that is the point and why mistakes are made with so many players under this regime that is still impacting on the club 3 years on

Ajose was available at the time so they got him based upon stats presumably. Yes - risky. But we as fans were largely excited at the time

Steve Head had held many prestigious jobs so the club hired him (again fans were positive) and listened to him ( no point hiring him and ignoring him) - it didn't work out for either. It still impacts us. These things happen in football. The knock-on is we need at least one striker now.
    I expect there's a bit of mind games from KR and he has a little more to spend but clubs know we are desperate so are bumping up the prices. Again this would have been averted had we sorted our shit out earlier. As ever.

Who made the decision to hire Steve Head before getting a head coach then getting rid of him months later?

In every other club in the land, strikers will be on the most wages. When we signed him, Ajose had just had his best ever season and scored a hatful of goals. You can be sure he didn't come to us because we are the mighty Charlton, he came because we offered him more money than he was on at Swindon, that's all players are interested in these days.

Most fans were excited when we signed him thinking we had signed a striker to score plenty of goals for us, did anyone care how much we had to pay to get him, no of course not!

Like I keep saying, Ajose was shite before Swindon and shite since, and now can't even get into Bury's team!
    Apologists out in force today. Is there any other League One club that would pay him over £5k a week? And if he was 'shite before Swindon' then you've got to question the extent of our scouting and salary offered haven't you?

Just because I question Katrien Meire rather than believe everything she says, doesn't make me an 'angry birdie'.

I'd be pretty certain that there are a number of clubs in this division paying over £5k for their strikers.

We took a chance with Ajose, hoping he would score goals for us, it has failed miserably, that's football I'm afraid! I certainly wasn't a fan that was overly excited by his signing, but plenty were!

Yeah, you're right, I do blame her. She's the CEO. If we've got players who aren't good enough on long-term contracts and big money that the club admit aren't good enough and they now can't afford, who else would you blame?
    Had Ajose turned out to be the best thing since sliced bread and was scoring for fun, would you have turned around and said well done to KM for signing him, I doubt it!

We are all living in hope that we can at least sign another striker and keeper before the end of the window, but we have done some good business so far, Reeves, Marshall, Clark, Fosu, kept Holmes and Pearce with improved contracts. I'm sure KM has played her part in making this happen, but no one is going to congratulate her are they!

No. Because she is terrible at her job and one of the reasons we are an average league 1 club. I will only congratulate the vile woman if she negotiates the sale of the club to the richest man in the world for £1
  • Ajose had one season of good form and everyone here, without much thinking, said we will have him because he's clearly a goal scorer!

Michael Rickets was god awful but had one good season for Bolton and got a couple of England caps in the process but afterwards went to utter pot! I would put Ajose in that bracket.
    Harry Kane is a goal-scorer and will always have an above average season.

Ajose was a ploy to get the fans onboard with us looking like we are getting the best players in league 1!

No, many not "everyone" was happy. Some were sceptical for the very reason that it had been only one season and said so at the time.

But you are right that there were high levels of optimism when he signed and the signing was welcomed, me included.

A bit like this season then.
    Ahh I meant everyone internally at the club. Just buying him because he scored a few goals to get the fans on board without looking at him in greater detail.
  • Essex_Al said:

JamesSeed said:

Essex_Al said:

Swisdom said:

That would imply that he had more than one amazing season. Which he hadn't.
    He was a classic stats signing, based on that one season.
    I have no idea how from that comment, how it indicates he had more than one amazing season, I'm sure you can tell I'm not a fan of his and he has only ever had one good season.

However, I do agree that we purchased him on the strength of that one season. We took a chance and it failed, at least we are not paying all of his wages as Bury are now lumbered!
    Because you said 'best ever', which implies there were other good seasons.
  • Our visitors tomorrow just made another good loan signing in last couple of hours-:

Northampton Town have signed Swansea City midfielder Matt Grimes on loan until the end of the 2017-18 season.

Grimes, 22, made 12 appearances on loan at Leeds last season, having joined Swansea in 2015 for £1.75m from Exeter.

This is the former England Under-21 international's third loan spell, following a stint at Blackburn in 2016.

"As well as being a central midfielder, he can also play in the number 10 role and he possesses a quality left foot," Cobblers manager Justin Edinburgh said.

"He is only a young man, but has a good amount of experience and after impressing at Exeter he has played in the Premier League and the Championship."
  • Sponsored links:

• vffvff
    edited August 2017

Our visitors tomorrow just made another good loan signing in last couple of hours-:

Northampton Town have signed Swansea City midfielder Matt Grimes on loan until the end of the 2017-18 season.

Grimes, 22, made 12 appearances on loan at Leeds last season, having joined Swansea in 2015 for £1.75m from Exeter.

This is the former England Under-21 international's third loan spell, following a stint at Blackburn in 2016.

"As well as being a central midfielder, he can also play in the number 10 role and he possesses a quality left foot," Cobblers manager Justin Edinburgh said.

"He is only a young man, but has a good amount of experience and after impressing at Exeter he has played in the Premier League and the Championship."

Shouldn't this be on other clubs transfer rumour thread ? :wink: This transfer rumour thread is a shambles.

It is rumoured that there is not much activity to fill the squad gaps hence the absence of any proper rumours & that is leading posters to go off the point.
  • cabbles said:

The thread has derailed a bit slightly again. Please try and keep it to rumours only etc

PS - unless @MuttleyCAFC you want tell us more about Amos the bar keep at the Woolpack

• I want to like and lol this otto
  • Apologies for going off topic with this tweet

Charlton wont sign Dave Tarpey ..... thats not even a rumour is bleedin' fact
  • sm said:

Swisdom said:

All incomings have been ok Karl's wish list. He is calling the shots.

I think some of the criticism of this comment has been unfair. I do believe every signing made has been a player Robinson wanted, there just hasn't been enough of them!
    So just the first sentence is correct then. That last one is not.
    Well he is calling the shots regarding players we sign, but not budget

still got an unsuitable manager though, in my opinion of course.

Gobby now being reported in the local Bristol rag as having talked to Chris Lines about our players salaries. If he tells all and sundry about our players inflated pay he should not be too surprised when potential recruits hold out for more and delay deals as a result. At least we now know what Gobby is doing when he is on the phone 3 hours a day.
    A bit of perspective, perhaps?

"You look at Charlton, I know their manager Karl Robinson and when I was speaking to him last season he told me the type of wages some of his players were earning," said Lines.

Although not a couple of weeks ago when we played Rovers, then - but last season.

Don't forget also, Rovers were in League One straight after 2 consecutive promotions in 2 seasons from non-League.
    Their pay structure would be way below a team like Charlton, just relegated from the Championship with several players on Championship contracts.

Robinson was most probably bemoaning that he couldn't make new signings unless he moved higher earners on - players like Tex - but of course players in contract must stay with the club unless a buyer is found or the their contract is paid up.

There'll be a few still on the books, but we've already unloaded some of last season's high earners and others are out on long term loan.

• Oggy Red said:

sm said:

Swisdom said:

All incomings have been ok Karl's wish list. He is calling the shots.

I think some of the criticism of this comment has been unfair. I do believe every signing made has been a player Robinson wanted, there just hasn't been enough of them!
    So just the first sentence is correct then. That last one is not.
    Well he is calling the shots regarding players we sign, but not budget

still got an unsuitable manager though, in my opinion of course.

Gobby now being reported in the local Bristol rag as having talked to Chris Lines about our players salaries. If he tells all and sundry about our players inflated pay he should not be too surprised when potential recruits hold out for more and delay deals as a result. At least we now know what Gobby is doing when he is on the phone 3 hours a day.
    A bit of perspective, perhaps?

"You look at Charlton, I know their manager Karl Robinson and when I was speaking to him last season he told me the type of wages some of his players were earning," said Lines.

Although not a couple of weeks ago when we played Rovers, then - but last season.

Don't forget also, Rovers were in League One straight after 2 consecutive promotions in 2 seasons from non-League.
    Their pay structure would be way below a team like Charlton, just relegated from the Championship with several players on Championship contracts.

Robinson was most probably bemoaning that he couldn't make new signings unless he moved higher earners on - players like Tex - but of course players in contract must stay with the club unless a buyer is found or the their contract is paid up.

There'll be a few still on the books, but we've already unloaded some of last season's high earners and others are out on long term loan.

Please keep your apologist views out of here ;-) we'd much rather a negative narrative

In the space of a fortnight we've gone from "we're gonna win the league" to "we're doomed!"

Anyway I don't think Tarpey was ever an option - with the spotlight on this signing as it currently stands there's not a hope in hell we'd go for a non league player.....would we?
  • The pond that we're fishing in for strikers is very shallow and even now, I don't think we're using the right bait. Not expecting us to land anyone by the close of the window.
  • I heard a rumour another new era is over only two games into the season.

Nice try Tom. Goodbye.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rumour reported in the SLP that Novak wants to leave CAFC before the end of the transfer window.

Worrying if true!
  • Rumour reported in the SLP that Novak wants to leave CAFC before the end of the transfer window.

Worrying if true!

Wouldn't blame him if he did.
  • Our visitors tomorrow just made another good loan signing in last couple of hours-:

That's annoying. I mean we're not short of left-footed central players but Matty Grimes is a proper player. Not dissimilar to JFC, lovely left peg, doesn't provide the goal threat JFC will (hopefully) provide but he's good in possession and has a great range of passing.

Surprised he's had to drop to League One. Swansea have kept hold of him despite the fact that he must be 22-3 now, so they must still see something in him. But going on his England youth displays I thought he'd at least be Championship level.
  • Yeah I am surprised Grimes isn't playing in the champ. Good player, hopefully won't really be ready for tomorrow.
  • Essex_Al said:

Essex_Al said:

Essex_Al said:

Swisdom said:

Ffs have a day off.

You caused a massive row on Wednesday.
  • Bye Karl ..?
  • Ok I can see not wanting to pay a million pound on a league 2 striker. But we had 5 strikers we sent 2 out on loan and give the over one away. And are left with 2. No wonder there quoting 1 million pound because we're short. Surely we get someone In before we let people go. Never mind it's all a learning curve and they never make the Same mistake twice. Be alright in next transfer window
  • J BLOCK said:

Bye Karl ..?

Eh?

Worrying if true!

Good. He's been stealing £6k a week from us over the last year. Worst senior player at the club. Let him go, bring in a quality striker to rival Magennis and have KAG and Hanlan as our back up players.